Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Azzarello's run is not particularly faithful to the character, but it also makes Wesley Willis a character, so, it;s impossible to say if its bad or not,

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

WaffleZombie posted:

I think the one hitch in the system is that it hinges on backups from Cerebro. So if a mutant died before Cerebro came online, they're SOL.
Cerebro first appeared in X-Men #7.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Cornwind Evil posted:

Speaking of the X-Men, first a related question.

I saw an issue where X-23 went on a very long mission (time dilation), died, and was then revived via Krakoa...but she still had her adamantium claws when she came out of the pod. So uh...oops? Or are the pods just THAT good?

I just went and double checked. The claws sure LOOK like metal. Just before that, though, the Maker seemed to be zapping her with something, so maybe he has an instant adamantium restoring ray. He's an alternate Reed Richards, I'd buy it.

Anyway, my actual question. Have any non-mutants ever tried to join the X-Men? I don't mean "Ended up with them due to other events", like how Carol Danvers was with them for a time because of Rogue-related events, I mean some non-mutant showed up and went "Hey I agree with your viewpoints, I want to help." Has there ever been any discussion in universe over the 'non mutant joins the team' possibility? Seems like an untapped story you could make an arc around.

Q1: There's two things here: 1) The resurrection process includes a reality changer, so no reason they can't come out with metal. 2) Forge has a big ol' pool of adamantium for Wolverine.

Q2: No one I can think of specifically. Most non-mutant members have just joined by circumstance.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I got Brubaker confused with Rucka and was like "yes of course this is correct"

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Vision, Vin, and Vivian

Iron Man also has Ironheart

Deadpool has a whole grip of legacies

Captains America

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

SonicRulez posted:

I feel like Jane is Thor, but Beta Ray Bill is not Thor.
Mjolnir works for him, he is Thor.

Yes, this means Volstagg is also a Thor, proving She-Hulk's client correct.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Vengeance is what happens when someone comes along and says "a motorcyclist with a flaming skull head and a motorcycle with flaming wheels who uses a flaming chain as a weapon isn't BADASS enough!"

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Madkal posted:

Did Vengeance have pouches? I feel his badassness depended on how many pouches he had.

He did not but who needs nerdy-rear end pouches when you have a FLAMING SPIKED SKULL HEAD and FULLY SICK SHOULDER SPIKES and WICKED BONE CHAIN BRACELETS and a BONE BELT WITH YOUR FACE AS THE BUCKLE and a RIBCAGE JACKET and FOUR COUNT 'EM FOUR WOLVERINE CLAWS

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

It's real funny holding up Hickman as the paragon of writing while complaining about characters "not sounding like themselves." Even as someone who tends to love his work, writing existing characters to not sound like themselves is probably the biggest complaint I have about him. (And I disagree with the sentiment in a broader sense. Cyclops sounds like Cyclops, Magneto sounds like Magneto, Xavier sounds like post-Brubaker Xavier, Sinister sounds like post-Gillen Sinister, etc.)

It's also really lovely to describe his collaborators as "subliterate" especially when Hickman's own words have indicated that while he had an ending and multiple phases to his big X-Men plan, they were all intended to be able to be extended as long as desired. It turns out "as long as desired" was longer than he wanted, but everyone else was interested. It's entirely possible they're still continue along with his original plan, just along a longer timeline.

Your friend is certainly welcome to dislike it, of course, but they're trying to make objective statements while insulting the creators, and it just comes off as bad criticism.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I would simply make my claws out of healing factor-negating swords

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I didn't read that, so this is the first I've heard of it. Sounds pretty dumb, op!

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

If it's on Marvel Unlimited, just wait for one of the various $0.99 month deals they run throughout the year.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

30 million is definitely a huge over-estimate. NPD has 2020's sale of "adult graphic novels" at 16.2mm units for 2020. You'd have to nearly double that to include kids and assume every reader is buying exactly one book per year, which is obviously not true. You can probably get to that number if you add in people who read strictly via piracy, but I think it's reasonable to not include people who don't buy things in your market for buying things.

I could see an average comic buying spending $20 per week, but certainly not per book. I'll take that as a typo.

Comichron has the total North American sales for 2020 at $1.28b. Manga may be more popular (I feel like this is a claim that comes up but isn't generally validated), but it's certainly not going to be 23 times more popular on a dollar amount.

My guess: they found some random numbers that may have some truth, but aren't actually connected in any meaningful way and used them.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I'm down to a couple short boxes of floppies and half a wall of trades/omnis. I need to get rid of the rest of the floppies.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Skaar appeared in the Gamme Flight spin-off of Immortal Hulk last year.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

CopywrightMMXI posted:

I always thought 616 was a NYC area code but it turns out that one is in Michigan.

212. Fun fact: when area codes were assigned, the most important places were assigned ones with the lowest number since they take the least amount of time to dial on a rotary phone.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Vulpes Vulpes posted:

In Spider-Verse #1 (2019) we just named each new universe after the person who drew it (Earth-10113519 was Earth- J A M E S for James Harren, etc).

Wow, that lack of creativity and they keep you on? Imagine not giving every universe number and extremely deep and important meaning that has readers searching through religious texts to find the meaning of!

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Superman is in a storyline with Henry Bendix right now.

The short answer is "yes, but hardly anyone cares enough to use those characters."

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

There was an article I read awhile ago comparing action pacing of American comics vs. Japanese manga and I'm not sure where it was (might have even been something David Brothers wrote?).

There's a definite difference in how panels are laid out. Manga is generally better at laying out pages so it's obvious how panels are supposed to be read (provided you understand reading right to left) - like, actual panel sizes and gutters are deliberately set up to direct reading. American comics aren't necessarily as good at this, and it's definitely not a specific medium convention.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Con-El returned in Bendis's Young Justice. Tim just kind of transitioned back, and I'm not sure how Impulse returned.

Don't read any Titans.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Here's a story about it. Spoilers, obviously, if you care about spoilers for a 20 year old children's novel series.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

What do we think X-Cutioner's karaoke song is? Do we think he can do "Psycho Killer"?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Y'all are missing the most important part of X-Cutioner's Song: the epilogue issue of Uncanny where Jubilee takes Prof X rollerblading

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

You know how DC (and Marvel and Image) often issue $1 reprints of key issues? I've never paid any attention to those, since I figure they are aimed at newer readers, and I try to avoid buying single issues anyway. But especially with the new Sandman show out, does anyone know if they ever released a cheap reprint of Sandman #8, "The Sound of Her Wings" (the story that introduces Death)?

I have decided to sell my Sandman TPBs, but I'd kind of like to own a copy, and even my wife has expressed interest in reading that story (and only that story).

Looks like there was an "Essential Vertigo" release in 1997 you can get pretty cheap.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Sabertooth was getting drawn bulky well before Joe Mad was arting.

If anything, I'd put it on Jim Lee.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Mark Waid made a post asking if there's anywhere documenting the current DC multiverse and was astounded that not only did this not exist, there doesn't seem to be any particular agreement on what even constitutes the current multiverse.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

site posted:

why bother anymore when it gets blown up every three years
DC is paying him to do it.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

The Marvel SW books vary pretty widely, but I think if she liked that, it's worth continuing with. The Darth Vader series that ran roughly concurrently was also very good, as is the spinoff Doctor Aphra series.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Skwirl posted:

I feel like Ewing and Gillen do that a lot in team books.

Fraction fuckin' loves that

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

The best use of Hypertime was Mark Waid deciding an coloring error of Wally's eyes meant he was a Wally from a different hypertimeline and turned it into a whole story.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

I don't really own any comic books, so I'm new to the various style of protectors out there. Anyone know of any bag and board companies that make protectors for taller euro style magazines? Euro mags tend to be 11.75" - 12", so don't really fit in US style mag protectors. I know some make larger sizes for LIFE magazines, but those are then way too big for euro mags.

The Treasury Bags here look like they'd be close-ish. Graded may work, too: https://officialcomicproline.com/collections/comic-book-bags

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Is there any specific way to read Astro City? Just the trades in release order? I've enjoyed the little bit I've read

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I'm still a Wednesday person, but it's opening Amazon and buying my monthlies digitally. I usually read at lunch and before bed to wind down.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

CzarChasm posted:

I think Eddie Brock had a secret kid show up a few years back and he had some connection to symbiotes/Carnage/Knull

He's Venom now*

*as of last time I read Venom which was several issues ago

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Disco Godfather posted:

Can anyone identify what comic this is from or what artist it's meant to be in the style of?

Looks kinda like Bushmiller Nancy

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

CapnAndy posted:

It was barely tenable even in the best circumstances in his solo titles and completely unworkable in a shared universe, but I always had a fondness for the "urban legend" Batman. It's definitely scarier if the criminals aren't even sure if there is a Batman, let alone what he can do and how he operates so they can counter-plan, y'know?

Bruce ought to let JLA members take the cowl out for a spin on random nights, just so that the criminals in jail are like "yeah, loving Batman walked right through the wall and got me" and another one's like "I dunno about that, if anything he seemed too solid to me, I unloaded an entire shotgun clip in his face and he didn't even blink" and a third guy's going "no I'm telling you, he turned into a grizzly bear" and everyone mocks that dude for making up obvious bullshit.

I'm thinking about that episode of Superman: TAS where Superman has to stand in for Batman

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I forgot Kate got knuckle tattoos. I think most artists did, too, lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

bessantj posted:

Why do Scott's eye beams hurt Mister Sinister as they do?

They don't. He pretended they did then later decided to stop being hurt by them.