Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Aphrodite posted:

Booster Gold really dropped the ball on that whole Flashpoint thing.
"Why isn't Booster Gold preventing Flashpoint, isn't that his exact job" was a fairly popular question at cons for a bit. As I recall, the answer was a more diplomatically phrased "because gently caress you, that's why".

Skwirl posted:

Fantastic Four is probably the origin story that suffers the most from the sliding timescale.
True, but they're actually lucking out right now because their origin story can suddenly get updated to be Reed racing to be the first in privatized spaceflight. And honestly, "I want to be first to market" works way better than "BECAUSE FUCKIN' COMMIES" as a reason for why Reed sends that ship up prematurely, and taking his civilian girlfriend and her brother along makes perfect sense if he's trying to demonstrate that private trips to space are feasible now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Madkal posted:

Wouldn't the most creepy one be the female Green Lantern who willed herself older so she could get with Hal Jordan?
Yeah, they've retconned that one up one side and down the other to cleanse it.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

I'm still holding out for Disney to buy Hasbro. For many reasons.

Mostly I want to go to Tatooine and then Cybertron in Kingdom Hearts III.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Rhyno posted:

They looked into it last year because of Transformers money. But Takara was all "gently caress that poo poo."
I know, there were rumors right after the Marvel buy too. It's honestly a pretty logical buy -- Hasbro has the rights to Star Wars and Marvel toys, I bet Disney would love to bring that last revenue stream in, and they get a bunch of great IPs that fit right into everything else they own.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

I thought immersing Wolverine in water works, but if anyone ever drags him out of it, he'll heal.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Crossgen?

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Sharzak posted:

Brown female superheroes to cosplay as? I'm stuck at Storm and Gamora for options.

Edit: it has been brought to my attention that gamora is in fact green
Ms. mothafuckin' Marvel

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Cyborg Superman, of all people, got his start in a Fantastic Four pastiche.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Metal Loaf posted:

They should have him retire from practice and become an academic lawyer who authors treatises discussing the impact of costumed superheroes upon contemporary jurisprudence. :v:
That's She-Hulk's gig.

Or it was, when her book was worth reading :(

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Sturm posted:

So I just finished the Cosmic stuff up to Thanos Imperative, Cammi is briefly mentioned in GotG, in regards to where Drax is taking these unauthorized trips to find her, is this just a dropped plot thread? Where did she go to?
Vanished into the ether where all dropped plot threads go, I think.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Sturm posted:

That's really the same Cammi in Avengers Arena?
What? Ah, Christ. Forgotten would have been better.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Madkal posted:

Is there any issues of Batman/Detective Comics that deal with the legal ramifications of Batman beating up perps?

(Wondermark)

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Wolpertinger posted:

Hum, so if a random private individual 'arrests' someone who commits a crime in front of them, this can count as a legal arrest as long as they're willing to testify in court about it and presumably some evidence remains of the crime in question?
Yeah, citizen's arrests are common law. Like the blog says though, if you try it you'd better be prepared to personally stop the criminal and then make sure they stay stopped, so... good luck.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

zoux posted:

I just saw a panel from All New X Men where Scott was yelling at him but I guess it could've been a hologram, simulacrum, LMD, Doombot, clone, shapeshifter, ....
Holographic last will and testament.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

SiKboy posted:

Wasnt Azreals tenure as batman a deliberate "gently caress You" to people who wanted batman to be darker/edgier/ruthless/generally more 90s? Sort of "Here, this is what you are asking for, look how terrible and unbatman-ish it would be". I'm sure I read that somewhere.
Both Azrael and the four Supermen, actually. "Fine, you want an edgy Batman who kills and has toyetic new armor? Bam, there he is, oh what's that, you want the real Batman back and you hate this guy? WHO COULD HAVE GUESSED.

Superman's outdated? Okay then, he's gone! Let's see, what are the biggest trends right now... teen heroes, armored tech heroes, cyborgs, and edgy heroes that kill? You know what, we're nice, we'll give you all four! You can pick your favorite one, that'll be the new Superman, okay? So, which one do you like the best? Oh, what's that, none of them are as good as the original Superman and you don't want any of them to take over? You want the real Superman back? WHO COULD HAVE GUESSED.

Now SHUT UP ABOUT IT this is a bad trend."

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

HitTheTargets posted:

I don't think I've ever heard that from the horse's mouth, though. Is it just a highly plausible theory?
We've never gotten an official confirmation on the four Supermen like we did on Azrael, but it's too goddamn pat to ignore, especially when it and KnightsWhatever hit all the same "you don't really want this, let us show you why" beats.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Edge & Christian posted:

If I recall they didn't even have the "Reign of the Superman" thing worked out when they went "let's kill him off while we vamp until the wedding"
That's true, but I don't think it excludes Reign of the Supermen's moral being "oh just stop saying Superman is old-fashioned and yada yada yada, he's not, we'll prove it". That was definitely in the atmosphere at the time and I think they reacted.

quote:

3/4 of the fake Superman stuck around for years as heroes, two of them with long-running series. I know Azrael stuck around foreverrrrrrrr as a solo book too, but at least Knightsend (and Gruenwald's Cap story) had a clear in-panel "YOUR WAY IS NOT THE WAY" moral, Superman basically fist-bumped 75% of his ersatz crew and went "thanks for filling in for me bros, there's a little Superman in all of you! ;)"
I'd argue that that comes down to one of the differences between Superman and Batman that I've always thought was under-examined and really interesting: The complete gulf between how they view their own heroic... "brand", for lack of a better word.

Batman is a fiercely singular identity; only one man can wear the mantle -- I think it's super telling that of all Bruce's sidekicks over the years, the girls are allowed to use Bat-iconography but the boys have to find something completely different. If there's no chance you can be Batman, whatever, he doesn't care, but he's fiercely protective of his turf. (Batwing's an exception, but again, a single glance is enough to tell you that that's not the Batman.)

Superman, on the other hand, lets anyone who wants it wear the shield, so long as they stay worthy of it. It's not a mantle to him, it's a family. Clark wants everyone to be Superman:

I think that's basically the Superman thesis statement.

Batman works for a world where nobody has to be Batman, Superman works for one where everyone gets to be Superman. I think it's key to understanding them.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Doctor Spaceman posted:

I don't know about that; Incorporated has him literally turn his identity into a franchise.
Yeah, and look how quick that got undone.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Random Stranger posted:

And then undone again at the end. Except everyone forgot that. Like they forget that the gauntlet is an absolutely meaningless item. Just because Thanos stuck them onto the least smelly left handed glove he had in the hamper that morning doesn't mean that the gems always have to be stuck onto a giant orange glove in order to work.
I think there's a solidly No-Prize-worthy explanation for that, though. The gems literally warp reality; it would take exactly one person wielding the Gauntlet who thinks that you need the Gauntlet to control all six gems to make it true.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

zoux posted:

So why were they "his children"?

Also why does everything involving Wanda have to be so goddamn stupid?
Because Wanda warps reality, frequently without meaning to.

For both questions.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Metal Loaf posted:

What was the Elseworlds (if it even was an Elseworlds; it might have been within a Superman story) where Kal-El becomes Green Lantern of Krypton's sector of space?
It was a not-an-Elseworlds (it was a fuckin' Elseworlds, they just slapped a weird framing device around a few obvious Elseworlds scripts where Jor-El was running simulations to decide where to send Kal to), and Kal-El got sent to Oa. It wasn't great, the Guardians trained Kal to rely on his ring but to solve the Whatever Problem of that issue, Kal has to use his kryptonian powers too, the end.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

CzarChasm posted:

In the Marvel universe, there are comic books that are inspired by their "real life" hero counterparts. I recall that there are Spider-man and Daredevil comics, which are kind of like the old pulp horror comics, and I want to say Captain America has a comic too (possibly drawn by Steve himself?)

Does DC have anything like that?
No, the DC characters don't have their own in-universe comics. There are winks on both sides that Marvel publishes comics in the DCU and DC publishes comics on Earth-616, though.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

prefect posted:

If somebody were to describe Alan Moore's work (Watchmen in particular) as "cryptofascist propaganda", what would be the best way to gently dissuade them?
"You're a loving idiot" is about as polite as I could possibly get.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Potsticker posted:

Oh, that sounds like most superhero comics. That's like the basic description of like Darkseid and other supervillains.
Darkseid isn't a cryptofacist. He's the ur-facist. He is facism given form.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Hulkbuster armor basically can't work, because it's only ever going to be as strong as Tony built it to be, and Hulk's response to any amount of strength is to get mad at it until he's stronger.

But, y'know, go tell Tony Stark that some problems can't be solved by building Iron Man suits at them, see how that goes.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Dr. Hurt posted:

Ultra-Humanite being the one that betrays them for cash was a great twist.
Ultra-Humanite betrays them for a generous donation to NPR, which is much funnier.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

I always took it as Damien having a massive crush on Stephanie, and being ten, so not knowing any way to deal with that other than dialing up the brattiness to 11. And then he tried the same poo poo on Kara (awww, Damien's got a type!) and she picked him up by the scruff of the neck and yelled at him about being respectful to women, because I'm-a-sorta-terrifying-assassin-kid cuts absolutely no ice with an invulnerable Kryptonian.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Uthor posted:

He maintains an active Deviant Art account. It contains a lot of full comic pages from Death Vigil. I like his art, but the Death Vigil pages haven't been doing anything for me. Still, more than willing to give him a shot.

http://nebezial.deviantart.com/
Wait a minute, that's the guy who did this? THIS DUDE OWNS.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

You've already put more thought into the plot than the actual writers did.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

I heard there was an issue of X-Men that retold the last battle of AvX through Scott's hosed-up-on-Dark-Phoenix-juice perspective, does anyone know what it was? It sounds interesting.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

redbackground posted:

I think it was Uncanny X-Men #19, and yes, it was great.
It was and it was. Thanks!

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Mr. Maltose posted:

A buddy who is new to comics asked me about good/landmark LGBT focused or friendly books. That's a bit out of my knowledge base, so what should I recommend?
Both incarnations of Young Avengers are good, but the Gillen/McKelvie one in particular. That run has seven main characters. One of them is straight.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

HitTheTargets posted:

Are we arguing that he could choose to change his sexuality?
Loki is some bizarro mythological flavor of transgender and bi. Odin's referred to him multiple times in Agent of Asgard as "my child who is both son and daughter", he can switch genders on a whim and says they're both equally true.

(Loki: Agent of Asgard #2)

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

I love that we live in a world where people think Mystique doing this is fine but fathering a child is too bizarre:

I'm not okay with that.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

I think the explanation is that all toothy and tongue-y and crazy jawed is the symbiote's natural state, and the more in control it is, the more like that it gets. So on one end of the spectrum you have Peter Parker, who it genuinely liked and was trying to get along with, and was good at keeping it under control -- he looks human. On the other end you've got Cletus Kassidy, who doesn't even try -- he's a monster. And then you have stuff like Mac Gargan, who loving sucked at keeping the symbiote under control, and you could see him losing control in between doses as he'd bulk up more and more.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

HondaCivet posted:

Oooh OK. No I am not joking. I'm not familiar with the series so how would I know the difference? Thanks for the help though.
There is no series. They invented her for the Spider-Verse crossover and she was a big hit, so she's getting a series now.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

SynthOrange posted:

Wait what's Avengers 200...

AAAAAAAGGHGHAHHBHAHHBH
That is, by far, the least objectionable part of the plot.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Goddammit Rhyno you ran the woman off of BSS like eight years ago, when will the feud end

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Deadpool posted:

5- I dunno I stopped reading it because it was crappy.
We gotta go outside and throw hands now :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

There's an explanation I read once, and I don't know if it was a writer trying something out that nobody decided to pick up and run with or just fanwank, but I really liked it. Diana's empowered by the gods with strength and speed and so on, but those are really nebulous concepts, and when it comes to gods, belief tends to matter. So you can explain her steady uptick in powers and strength because the public perception of "really strong" and "really fast" and "is a superhero" have shifted over the years; when Diana starts out, people think weightlifters are really strong and a car going 30 mph is pretty fuckin' fast, so she's around there, power-wise. But then superheroes come along, especially Superman, and they start moving the bar upwards. Superman can punch through a tank, and jet planes are fast? Diana's there. Superman can lift tons, and fly, and Flash is fast? Now Diana's there.

I think it's a pretty neat explanation for why her powers seem to be set right at "Superman, but a girl". Superman's what everyone thinks of when they think of a superhero, and it molds her.