Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Soonmot posted:

\/\/\/ But a tablet is even smaller than my laptop screen? .cbrs flipped 90 degrees read perfectly.
Guided mode on a tablet is brilliant for reading comics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

zoux posted:

So is that the reason Shooter and Byrne had mad beef? Sounds like he had beef with Claremont too.
Claremont had a few run-ins with him, there was the original Phoenix stuff, then later the whole deal with the Kitty/Colossus relationship (Shooter wrote Secret Wars, which had the catalyst for their break-up), then not long after that Shooter decided to bring Jean back to launch X-Factor with the original X-Men, which made Claremont completely furious.

zoux posted:

How do people in the industry feel about Axel Alonso?

It's just odd to me how vocal people can be about their colleagues. In other creative media, usually people try to put a good face on relationships and what not, but in the comic book industry, it seems like people will talk out of school all the time.
I've never seen a bad word said about Alonso.

A lot of this stuff only came out years after it happened. You won't find many freelancers badmouthing editors or whatever. There are rare occasions, like Waid with Didio, or Rucka with both DC and Marvel Editorial (although he's back freelancing for Marvel now).

irlZaphod fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Feb 28, 2014

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Alien Rope Burn posted:

He's overseen some controversial runs (Rawhide Kid, One More Day), but hasn't been directly involved in dirt that I'm aware of.
I'm pretty sure Rawhide Kid was Bill Jemas' baby, and One More Day was Quesada.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

I think the reaction was kind of "Hmmmm this is a slightly offensive gay stereotype". And then no-one bought it.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Well he was technically dead from 2004 until 2010

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

zoux posted:

Huh, so there were zero Thor comics during that time or did they have like robot Thor and Beta Ray Bill comics.
There was no Thor ongoing during this time, but there were a few things. The Stormbreaker and Godhunter Beta Ray Bill minis were published and Bill appeared in Omega Flight, JMS set up Thor's return during his FF, the robot/clone showed up in Civil War etc. Basically, because sales had been flagging, Marvel decided to put him on ice for a little while, until someone pitched the right Thor story to bring him back.

zoux posted:

Also, I read the Cap Reborn stuff this weekend, and even though it was pretty obvious that they wanted to bring Steve back pretty quickly, were people mad that they brought him back so soon?
Nobody was mad I don't think, no-one expected him to stay dead. I kinda wish Bucky had stayed as Cap for longer though, with Steve as, I dunno, head of SHIELD or something.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

zoux posted:

Oh as for a question what are the main Avengers books post Civil War? I know they split into the official and secret teams, but every time there's a huge event they split or change the Avengers books, it seems.

irlZaphod posted:

If you want to go back further, Brian Bendis has a long run as main Avengers writer/architect. In my opinion, it had some highs, but really was the victim of too many event books (and constantly changing status quos), and later bendis kinda phoning it in. Here's a recommended order of reading stuff (Event books are marked with a *):

0a)Secret War This is only tangentially related, but is worth a read
0b)Avengers Vol. 1 #500-503 [Disassembled] Note that this is a really bad story with awful art. It begins the whole thing but is pretty skippable, you could get by with just starting with New Avengers #1.
0c)Avengers Finale
1)New Avengers #1-10 [Breakout/Sentry]
2)*House of M #1-8
3)New Avengers #11-20 [Secrets and Lies/The Collective]
4)*Civil War #1-7
4a)New Avengers #21-25 [Civil War]
Post-Civil War, the books split into Mighty Avengers and New Avengers
5a)Mighty Avengers #1-11 [The Ultron Initiative/Venom Bomb]
5b)New Avengers #26-37 [Revolution/The Trust]
6)New Avengers: The Illuminati #1-5
OP Note: In my opinion, this is where poo poo starts to get whack.
7)*Secret Invasion #1-8
7a)New Avengers #38-47 [Secret Invasion Book 1/Secret Invasion Book 2]
7b)Mighty Avengers #12-20 [Secret Invasion Book 1/Secret Invasion Book 2]
Post-Secret Invasion, a third Avengers book launches, Dark Avengers.
8a)Mighty Avengers #21-31 [Earth's Mightiest/The Unspoken]
8b)New Avengers #48-60 [Power/Search For The Sorcerer Supreme/Powerloss]
8c)Dark Avengers #1-6, 9-12 [Dark Avengers Assemble/Molecule Man] Dark Avengers #7-8 is part of a crossover with Uncanny X-Men called Utopia
9)*Siege #1-4
9a)New Avengers #61-64 [Siege]
9b)Mighty Avengers #32-36 [Siege]
9c)Dark Avengers #13-16 [Siege]
10)New Avengers Finale
At this point, all the books are cancelled and relaunched, with Avengers Vol. 4 as the main book, and New Avengers Vol. 2 being a secondary, "street-level" book. You're on your own with those. If you do continue, don't read Fear Itself.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Aphrodite posted:

Where is Nick Fury right now anyway?
Dead, and replaced with Nick Fury Jr., who matches the film universe.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Oops I thought they killed him off.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Waterhaul posted:

The Nick Fury situation is pretty hilarious because of how hamfisted it's done.

Regular Nick Fury is just doing his usual thing and is slowly written out of everything except for Brubaker's Winter Soldier run because he's an integral character and Bru is basically writing his run out of existence anyway. Then very terribly nuNick Fury and Coulson are introduced with the explanation that nuNick Fury will have a different role than regular Nick Fury (but doesn't and becomes the SHIELD stand in) and is forced into pretty much any book they can be. And from the looks of the Captain America 2 film Sam Jackson is possibly being killed off in the films so now regular rear end Nick Fury is allowed to show up in the comics again.

Just an entire pointless mess.
Doesn't Jackson have a 9 or more picture deal? What films has he been in? Iron Man (post-credits), Cap 1, Avengers, Norton Hulk...he wasn't in either Thor flick, was he? Or was he in a post-credits cameo in Thor? Then upcoming it'll be Cap 2, maybe Avengers 2?

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

To be fair, they've been doing that since Tales to Astonish of Suspense became Captain America with #100.

irlZaphod fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Mar 6, 2014

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Edge & Christian posted:

Not sure when you stopped reading comics, but Magneto's chronology goes like this:
This is the best post.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Yeah she still turns invisible. She was having trouble controlling it during Fraction's run, leading to parts of her skin (but nothing below the skin) turning invisible.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Simonson wanted a new mentor for the New Mutants, to replace Xavier/Magneto, but someone a bit more hard-edged or militant, so Liefeld came up with Cable's design. They had no real backstory for him, though.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Senor Candle posted:

I think they are a lot better now at letting some books just go without the tie-ins and keeping the damage down. Hawkeye has no place being a part of any major event so its been left alone. I also think Hickman is basically doing what Kirkman wanted to do. Other than starting out of Dark Reign his FF didn't cross over with anything that I know of. Infinity was his event and a core part of the story he's telling, but we'll see how Original Sin goes.
Marvel don't force books to be part of crossovers anymore, though, they haven't at all during Quesada's tenure.

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Peter David quit books over it, so yes.
That was 20 years ago, and he's back writing for Marvel now.

Kirkman could have wrapped all his Marvel work and focused on his creator-owned stuff without being a big baby about it but whoops

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

He wrote Marvel Team-Up too, which was pretty good.

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Is there a source for this? It feels weird that you'd have tie-ins as numerous as Civil War had without some amount of arm-twisting. And there's the classic bit there a comic has to wind up or wind down centering around a crossover, as well.
I'm pretty sure numerous people have said it, writers can opt-in to event books for a quick sales bump. There's still a certain amount of editorial push I'm sure (like with Fear Itself, but even with that it was a crossover involving 2 books which was turned into an event), but for the most part I don't think writers are typically forced to write event tie-ins. That's why you'll end up with tie-in mini-series for certain books. I'm not sure what it's like for stuff like Battle of the Atom, but I presume that was pretty optional for the writers involved too since they all more or less had input on the story.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

CzarChasm posted:

Cannonball - If you buy into that invulnerable while moving bit
Not sure about this, do you have a source?

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Lurdiak posted:

Don't worry, I got it.
Thanks Lurdiak. :)

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

The Endlessly Discussing What Age Of Comics We're In Age

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

I think the question was about ongoings, Storm's had mini-series before, as have basically everyone who has been an X-Man.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Rhyno posted:

Earth 2 Green Lantern, N52 Batwoman, Pre-Flashpoint Obsidian.
Renee Montoya.

:smith:

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Was Taters posted:

She does, Kathy points her out on the wall of pictures at the station when she is talking to Sawyer in an early issue. She hasn't been present in person yet tho.
Wasn't it a wall of pictures of dead officers?

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Of the crossovers New Avengers bumps into (Civil War, House of M, Secret Invasion, Dark Reign, Siege, Fear Itself, and Avengers vs. X-Men), Bendis had a hand in five out of those seven crossovers. So while it's a fair criticism, a lot of them were his babies, with only Civil War and Fear Itself being written by others, and Avengers vs. X-Men being written by committee with Bendis on board. If anybody had the ability to plan around the crossovers being written, it should have been Bendis.
Millar wrote Civil War, but the two of them came up with it. It's as much Bendis' baby as it is Millar's.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

HitTheTargets posted:

Quick question based on DoFP coming to theaters soon: What's up with 616 Blink these days? She got brought back to life at the same time as Doug Ramsey, right?
Yep, she was hangin' with the New Mutants for a few months, but has been shuffled off to character limbo (along with X-Man) since that series ended.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

zoux posted:

Doesn't Wolverine not have his healing factor right now?
Yes, and also in the film The Wolverine he didn't seem to be getting poisoned by the adamantium either, although he similarly was unfazed by being shot several times at point blank range so it's maybe not the best example of what would happen to Wolverine without his healing factor.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

zoux posted:

Did Fraction leave FF/F4 on good terms and how do the series maintain after he's gone?
Ironically, he had to drop those books to do Inhuman. Lee Allred took over FF and Karl Kesel took over F4 and both did a good job with Fraction's plot outlines, in the sense that FF remained fantastic and F4 remained ok-but-not-great. The conclusion to them both was pretty satisfying though.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

Oh God yes, Brubaker's Sleeper was awesome, and my favorite of all his collaborations with Sean Phillips. I have the four older TPBs, but it has been reprinted in two thicker, nicer volumes: Sleeper Season One and Season Two. Make sure you also read Brubaker's prequel story, Point Blank, first.
There was an omni released last year which has all of it, Point Blank, Sleeper Season One and Two and Coup d'Etat. It's beautiful. :allears:

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Madkal posted:

As someone who hasn't read Avengers....ever, what is the difference between all these titles?
Ignore the two posts above mine, and read Gavok's OP to the Avengers thread.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Metal Loaf posted:

Were the Power Pack a really big deal in the mid-1980s? I've never read their series but they seem to show up in a lot of crossovers, and in some of them they seem like kind of an odd fit - off the top of my head, Katie Power shows up in a Barry Windsor-Smith issue of X-Men where Wolverine spends the entire story getting slaughtered by Lady Deathstrike and the Reavers
This issue is loving amazing btw. Uncanny #205.

I don't think that there was anything to it other than writers wanting to promote Power Pack, the Mutant Massacre tie-in was because Simonson was writing X-Factor, the Thor tie-in would have been because (Walt) Simonson was on that book, and Claremont and Simonson were good friends so he would have wanted to help out her book.

iirc Power Pack was one of the first books available exclusively in the Direct Market, so I do think Marvel wanted it to do well, too.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Stop over-thinking the FF's origin and the whole sliding timescale thing.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

That's really no more ridiculous than any of Lee's (or Kirby's or whoever) sciencey origin stories.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

It's much better than their extremely perfunctory Spider-Woman run, at any rate.
i will loving fight you

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

It was great, she was hunting Skrulls in Madripoor and the art totally owned

I do think they put a lot of love into it, they were just putting it out with the intention of turning it into one of those lovely gimmicky motion comics, then they pulled the plug because sales weren't great or something.

It was a good, if short-lived, series though. Like S.W.O.R.D., it was too good for this lovely world.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

I started reading comics at the tail end of Mackie's Spider-Man run, just as JMS was taking over, and Romita Jr was artist on it. I really liked his art a lot through that whole run, and he was one of my favourite artists at the time. I did the same as you and read through Claremont's X-Men stuff, and I love his art on that too. On his recent stuff, like Avengers and Kick rear end, I've really gone off it a lot, though.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

BadAstronaut posted:

Hey guys. Just how far back do I need to go to get the most out of House of M?
House of M is pretty much self-contained, the only thing which leads into it really is Avengers: Disassembled, and even at that it's basically just Scarlet Witch goes crazy and kills some people.

I wouldn't really read much outside of the main House of M mini really, either. A lot of the rest of it was pretty crap to be honest. I think Mark Waid did a HoM: Spider-Man series which wasn't bad. The one-shot Brubaker did in his Cap run was pretty great too (that was actually what got me reading his Cap, funnily enough).

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

BadAstronaut posted:

I thought there was a ton of back story and it was a major event with loads of comics and tpb's spinning out of it...? Maybe what I'll do when I get home later is post the x men and avengers I do own and you guys can suggest a reading order, or one or two purchases that would enrich the experience? I have 15 hours of flights on Thursday and Friday and look forward to diving into this...
Not really... It's part of Bendis' Avengers run, which kicked off with Disassembled (Avengers Vol. 1 #500-503). It was published around the time that New Avengers and Astonishing X-Men were running, but it really has nothing to do with anything which was happening in those books at the time, aside from the line-ups. The other thing is that it's an alternate reality story, so even if there was a ton of backstory, it would be irrelevant to what happens in House of M, since you're thrown to that reality at the end of #1.

Like I said, there were a lot of tie-ins (which fleshed out the world of House of M), but most of the ones I read were not very good. The Spidey tie-in was pretty good because it had a great premise. Also, at the time there was a book called District X, which was about Bishop being a cop in the Mutant ghetto. During House of M, there was a tie-in mini to that called Mutopia X, which was also quite good from what I remember. After HoM, District X was cancelled though.

The fallout from it, Decimation, had a couple of interesting moments, but sort of sucked in general. It only really affected the X-Men too. There was some post-House of M stuff in New Avengers (starting in issue #16 I think), but again it wasn't great.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

If you're looking for something to read then you should read Hickman's Avengers and New Avengers through to Infinity, because it's about a billion times better than House of M.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

I wouldn't say "stop with Bendis" after House of M, I still think New Avengers was mostly fantastic (Vol. 1, at least). It's just a problem because as soon as there's an interesting status quo for the book, another event comes along and changes it, and the event books get worse as time goes on. House of M itself though, outside of the main mini, is nothing remarkable. It's worth reading, sure, but if you're looking for a long epic with a lot of lead-in and fall-out to take up a 15 hour flight, you're not going to find it there.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Shawn posted:

Hulk House of M is pretty great, Hulk becomes president of Australia. I always get sad when people say all the tie ins to House of M suck and don't mention Hulk as an exception with Spider-man.
poo poo, I'm pretty sure I probably read this because it's when I started reading Hulk too. Maybe I'll have to dig it out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Metal Loaf posted:

He did indeed.

The artist for the last stretch of Claremont's run was future Image co-founder and superstar artist Jim Lee, who decided the best way to resolve his creative differences with Claremont over the direction of the plot was to submit his finished artwork to be scripted at the last possible moment, to prevent Claremont from having it changed to match his own intentions more closely.

Eventually, Claremont went to Bob Harras (the group editor on the X-Men titles) and told him to have words with Lee or he'd leave. Harras decided to side with Lee, whose artwork was believed to be the comic's main selling point at the time, so Claremont quit.
I don't think the whole submitting the finished art late was an intentional thing, but yeah - Lee came on board and wanted to do stories about Sentinels, have Magneto as a villain and Professor X in a wheelchair, Claremont wanted to move past all that stuff. He went to Harras, who sided with Lee, so Claremont left.

Here's a bit of background on it:
http://goodcomics.comicbookresources.com/2009/05/21/comic-book-legends-revealed-208/

e: Man, the Lee image at the bottom, that would have been a pretty kickass X-Men line-up at the time. I presume that would have been the team in Uncanny from #281 onward or something.

irlZaphod fucked around with this message at 11:36 on Oct 7, 2014