Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

I used to read a few comics when I was young but trailed off and stopped reading around 20 years ago but with all the new superhero movies and TV series and the nerds at work I've been reading a few past comics. So a couple of questions the death of Mattie Franklin seemed a bit strange to me she didn't really go down fighting or no one tried to rescue her but were moments too late, have there been any other heroes who have died in really strange way like just being knocked over while crossing the road etc..? Also she doesn't seem to have come back so is death more permanent these days?

Also I've most read Marvel, anything DC I should catch up on?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Ha ha that's crazy so is he dead, dead or is he back, or too soon to tell?

Also how do they do comics these days I'm used to a very lineal issues 1, 2, 3 all the was to issue 100 or whatever, probably because of the comics I read, but apart from ones like Spider-man, X-men or avengers they seem to be much short runs and then that character doesn't come back for a while. Is that usual these days?

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Gavok posted:

Yeah. The game mentions that Robin killed Nightwing at some point without going into details. The comic filled in the blanks.

Nightwing did come back as the new Deadman though, if that counts.

Dr. Hurt posted:

He died in a comic tie-in to a fighting game where the world goes to poo poo because Superman becomes dictator of the world. He's staying dead because it is its own little thing that isn't connected to the general DC Universe.

Cheers. I always wonder how they decide who to kill off and if they'll ever bring them back, like if a character kills someone and they can't write their way out of a hole or because they just can't think of anything to do with the character.

Uthor posted:

Lots of comics frequently reset to new #1's. This will usually happen if a new creative team takes over or if there is a good meta-reason to renumber (all the new #1's after the universe ending Secret Wars, Thor getting new #1's after major changes to the story's status quo, etc). New readers have an easier time starting with #1's and it's easier to sell collections (even if it can get confusing over time).

That seems alright. Secret Wars that's the new big thing in Marvel, is it over now been as they are releasing new #1s?

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Uthor posted:

It's been scheduled to be over, but ran into delays (I think?), so new #1's are coming out, but there's a few issues left before Secret Wars wraps up. So, it's confusing at the moment.

Is it a straight Secret Wars 1-10 issues (or however many there are) or are there ties in you'd have to read to get the story to make sense?

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Dr. Hurt posted:

There are tie-ins but those are mostly off in their own little parts of Battleworld. Essentially Dr. Doom is ruling over a patchwork world of all sorts of different realities so the tie-in issues all focus on weird little worlds like Cowboy Avengers or Law and Thorder. They aren't "necessary" to the plot, but some of them do require you reading Secret Wars to understand what is going on, from what I've seen.

Thanks, I'd forgotten how confusing comics can be.

Also Law & Thorer, nice.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Lightning Lord posted:

Are you asking about Mattie Franklin because you're reading Alias because of Jessica Jones?

No, some dude in work said Spider-Woman is pregnant in a recent storyline. So when I started reading some comics again I started reading Spider-Woman and thought it was strange how they killed her off in issue 50 then the same guy told me to read the Grim Hunt story and I just thought it was odd how Mattie was killed off and that apparently she never comes back.

Though now you mention it I do want to read Alias, I thought Jessica Jones was really entertaining.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Uthor posted:

If you have a tablet, it's currently $0.99 an issue on comiXology.

That's great I just bought a tablet last week, and they have a UK site. Thanks.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Soonmot posted:

Also, Marvel Unlimited is about ten bux a month and has all modern comics up to six months ago, along with a good portion of classic comics.

That seems good. Anything like that for DC? There isn't is there.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Travis343 posted:

Nah as evidenced by their trade paperback division DC doesn't like to make money. They apparently expect to be held aloft by releasing increasingly opulent anniversary collections of Watchmen, Dark Knight Returns, and Killing Joke every five years or so.

It is very strange, I've found it easier to get Marvel back issues than DC back issues.

In general do Marvel outsell DC or is it the other way round?
What are the more popular titles? I bet Batman and X-Men are very popular for their respective companies.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

ImpAtom posted:

The most successful heroes in general are Spider-Man and Batman respectively.

Cheers. Knew it had to be Batman, but wasn't sure abut Marvel.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Endless Mike posted:

Marvel has been pretty consistently outselling DC for awhile now and it's not even really close. To give you an idea, for October, Marvel had a 44% dollar share, while DC had 22% (rounding up). September was closer at 33/26 and August was 37/26.

That is a bit of a kicking.

Teenage Fansub posted:

Having your favorite comics on the knife's edge of cancellation is an exciting way to live!

All the sports teams I support seem to be constantly losing and on the verge of bankruptcy so I can relate.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Lightning Lord posted:

Are you asking about Mattie Franklin because you're reading Alias because of Jessica Jones?

Just got through those issues and Marvel really ran Mattie through the ringer I fancy reading some comics she's in just to make sure she actually had some good times. Have any characters been given just really crappy lives?

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Skwirl posted:

Daredevil, every woman he's ever loved.

I don't know a lot abut Daredevil beyond the Netflix series but didn't one of his girlfriends get addicted to drugs and contract HIV?

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Madkal posted:

Yep, and then brutally killed later on. Kind of like his other girlfriends.

I may regret this question but what is it with Marvel writers and women? Though to be fair DC writers could be just as bad.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

prefect posted:

I think Ron Marz did a reasonably good job explaining it to Gail Simone:

"""
I think the obvious point here is that female characters, in general, have a rougher time of it. I think the knee-jerk reaction is they're more "abused," though I'm not sure that's fully the case. Male heroes go through all sorts of trials and tragedies, and generally triumph over them in the end. However, you could certainly make a list of male heroes (Captain Mar-Vell, Jason Todd, Bucky, various former GLs, Barry Allen, etc.) who have wound up dead or depowered. To me the real difference is less male-female than main character-supporting character. In most cases, main characters, "title" characters who support their own books, are male. Historically, male characters have been able to support their own books sales-wise, while female characters have not. I'm not sure this is the case anymore, but I suspect the mindset still prevails to a certain extent. So male characters who support their own individual titles remain somewhat immune to the kind of severe and permanent character changes you're sighting. It has more to do with sales figures than sex bias. So if "main" characters, including Wonder Woman, are generally sacrosanct, the supporting characters are the ones who suffer the more permanent and shattering tragedies. And a lot of supporting characters are female. Take Gwen Stacy, for example (even though it's a example more than two decades old). Her death was a tragedy, obviously, but it also served as a tragedy in Spider-Man's life; a case of a supporting character's death being used to adversely effect the life of the main character. Since most main characters are male, a way of introducing tragedy into that character's life is to have something adverse happen to a woman in his life. To my mind, as a writer you want to be able to introduce some sort of change or drama to your characters. You can kill off or otherwise severely change a supporting character. You just can't do so with a main character, in most cases, and certainly never without the blessing of the Powers That Be.
"""
Marv Wolfman said something similar, and there is other insight to be had: http://lby3.com/wir/creators.html

(Hey, this is related to the thread title, even! :buddy:)

That does explain a lot thanks. Also I looked at the character list and this was at the top "All of Savage Dragon's girlfriends" just made me laugh.

Lurdiak posted:

Frank Miller, who have serious hangups that cannot be blamed on their age.

Frank Miller seems like he has a lot of hang ups.

bessantj fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Nov 30, 2015

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

I signed up to Marvel Unlimited and it's pretty cool. But as I haven't read comics for ages I've been blindly stabbing at stuff that sounds like it could be fun, not the best strategy I know. I recently read about Hope Summers finding those new mutants the "four lights" but after jumping ahead and reading some new stories none of them seem to turn up, are they all dead or did they gently caress off to the future or something?

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

zoux posted:

Nah they just stopped using them for some reason.

Also r/comicbooks has a pretty good list of "what to read, I know it helped me when I first got MU, because their library is daunting.

I suppose with a huge cast like the X-Men you can't use everyone, but I'm surprised they stopped using Hope, she seemed really important.

Thanks for the link.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Dr. Hurt posted:

Every time a writer gets their hands on X-Men they create new mutants that are very very important to them. These mutants never seem to survive the switch to a new writer because they have their own very special mutants they want to write about.

Rhyno posted:

Up to a point. There was the mandate recently that Bendis bitched about, no more new mutants as Fox automatically got the rights to use them. Even Goldballs.

I get wanting to put your mark on something but they must have about every type of mutant they could possibly want at the moment. I'd rather see existing mutants have their story expanded.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

A writer wants to tell the story that they want to tell - the story that they're enthusiastic about. It turns out that it can be harder to do that when you're dealing with characters that have established histories and personalities and extant plot threads that may not actually line up with that story they're enthusiastic about.

When really they should be catering to my needs and whims :haw:

Can you think of any mutants that appeared in one issue, looked like they would appear in more and have just never appeared again?

bessantj fucked around with this message at 09:40 on Dec 11, 2015

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

I read the first couple of issues of X-Men from the 60s and liked them much more than I thought I would, the X-Men seem to work as a good team. Is it just me or does there seem to be more words in the comic than there are in the more modern day comics? It took me a little longer to read these issues than the new ones. Also I had no idea blob was such an old enemy of the X-Men.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Phylodox posted:

Comics used to rely a lot more on exposition. They read more like radio plays than the graphic medium they were. Part of it, I think, had to do with the habits of the writers, and part of it the limitations of printing technology at the time. Detailed, complicated actions were harder to depict, so they would be described.

Makes sense, thanks. I also find it funny they way they are treating Jean Grey as some sort of prize and hardly ever use her name instead calling her "doll" or "beauty", something I think would be laughed at today.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Phylodox posted:

You should read some of the old Fantastic Four comics.

Ha ha that's amazing. I'm going to read them after getting through a few X-Men comics and the Avengers and Spider-Man as well.

Also

Yeah get over yourself Scott you fire beams out of your eyes.

bessantj fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Dec 15, 2015

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

But at least he doesn't smack her right? Right? I'm slightly worried about what will happen when they meet a black character.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Jack Gladney posted:

There may be a spanking or two in there, honestly. I don't think they meet a black man until the 70s.

And that's probably bad enough. Watching Jessica's and Luke's relationship dropped in there would be fun.

Well dammit. Unless he's being mind controlled or it's an evil counterpart or something as wacky.

bessantj fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Dec 15, 2015

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Uthor posted:

Even Professor X is in love with her.

Yeah, I saw that in the issue I was just reading, pretty gross considering the age gap and the position of power he has. I thought he said he had a thing for her in the 90s cartoon as well but I could be wrong about that.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Skwirl posted:

That's from John Byrne's run I believe, she's infected with something that makes her hate everything she loves, so Reed is trying to make her hate him so she'll love him.

Comics.

Is there a panel where he calls her outfit "tacky" and her hair "nothing more than the head dress of a streetwalker."?

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

bobkatt013 posted:

You mean like when they met Black Panther in issue 52 in 1966

Speaking of Black Panther are he and Storm still married?

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

CapnAndy posted:

No, he annuled the marriage after Namor flooded Wakanda while Namor was high on Phoenix juice.

Seems like a strange reason to annul a marriage.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Namor was an X-Man at the time, and the Wakandan people were thus pretty mad at mutants so their King being married to one was not popular.

Pfft, dudes a king.

I admit it makes for no drama but has anyone in Marvel or DC had a successful marriage, there has to have been a few?

bessantj fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Dec 15, 2015

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Aphrodite posted:

Sue and Reed seem to do mostly fine.

Oh yeah of course.

I suspect that most of the people who think that having a character be married makes for less drama have never actually been married.

Well that is a good point well made.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

redbackground posted:

Sue and Ralph Dibny were doing Just Fine until DC editorial had their way with them.

quote:

In 2004, she became a flashpoint for discussions of women in comics when a highly controversial storyline was published in which she is murdered and revealed to have been raped in the past

Had their way with them is right.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

I've read a couple of dozen issues of the old x-men comics now and it's been pretty good seeing how some of the villains started especially ones like the sentinels who seem really different to their later counterparts. I also notice they had villains that had fought other super hero groups, are there any villains that have gone after all of the super heroes in Marvel like attacked the X-Men, the Avengers, the Fantastic Four and Spider-Man?

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

bobkatt013 posted:

Yes and his name is Doom :doom:

Of course, DOOM

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Opopanax posted:

There's also Acts of Vengeance where they all traded

That seems fun.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Have they ever done a story where Wolverine gets addicted to an illegal drug because he probably can't die from it and it may help him get over the massive mental pain he lives in every daaayyyyyyy?

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

KittyEmpress posted:

Drugs don't work on wolverine, his body metabolizes everything from alcohol to hard drugs in seconds. This is also why nowadays [or at least pre death] he could drink for hours and be sober.

That's a bummer, forever the designated driver.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Has there ever been a storyline where a hero with a healing factor has been kidnapped and their organs/blood constantly harvested?

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

prefect posted:

I could swear I saw a couple of pages posted about just that thing in one of the panel-posting threads.

Boy, that's a helpful piece of information I just posted. :cripes:

Hey they can't all be gold medals and you did narrow down the threads.

Senor Candle posted:

That was actually a big plot point in the current Deadpool series.

bobkatt013 posted:

Read the last volume of Deadpool

To Deadpool!

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

I remember reading some Ultimate X-Men comics where, I think, Trask's son turned into a full on religious zealot and decided all mutants must die as god demanded it. What other story's are there where some dude decides that he is a messenger from god and tries to take out all mutants/heroes/humans etc..?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Thanks for that, it sounds like exactly what I was looking for. Also what's the best Apocalypse storyline?