Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Continuing a discussion about the Golden Age from the old thread:

Random Stranger posted:

Roy Thomas is the last of the golden age fan boys. And I mean that literally; he was a fanboy in the late 40's/early 50's. Made a fanzine, had a letter printed in an early issue of Fantastic Four even (I want to say #5, but I don't want to get up to check). Once he got into comics he spent a lot of time messing about with golden age continuity and reinvigorating a lot of those old characters.

I'm a giant comics history nerd and from the golden age the stuff I get is pretty limited. I have a bit of the Superman and Batman stuff though I don't go after it. There's only two superhero "books" (to use the term very loosely) I'd unhesitately recommend from that period: Plastic Man and The Spirit (technically a newspaper insert). Jack Cole was doing some strange, fun stuff and Will Eisner is recognized as a genius for good reason. I also have a fondness for the golden age Spectre stories for being... well... the Spectre and Captain Marvel is more like a silver age book in tone than a golden age one (Otto Binder being responsible for that).

Let me turn this into a question: what other golden age super hero books are worth checking out for anything beyond a historical perspective?

I just wanted to C/P this to see if anyone else could contribute because I'm a history nerd and Golden Age fan too.

DivineCoffeBinge posted:

IIRC, wasn't the JSA explicitly designed to contain characters who didn't have series of their own?

Yes, and that's why the membership rotated on a relatively frequent basis -- when a member "graduated" to their own book they left and another character from an anthology/backup took their place. It was a pretty good way to keep up exposure on lesser-known characters and gain crossover readership from fans of different characters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

redbackground posted:

She was named after her!

I was really hoping ( :rolleye: ) the answer was going to be "due to time travel shenanigans, Hope adopted and raised herself a thousand years from now". Also I love that two of Scott's three kids are from alternate/parallel timelines.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

greatn posted:

Wolverine, for one.

Wolverine's pants, for another.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

F'realz though, Wolverine being on that list is super loving stupid.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Yeah, in the very next page or two after the one prefect posted, it stops setting off his spider-sense as it adapts to his biology. There was never anything to retcon.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

What does "separation" mean? I've seen that credit in some recent-ish comics and I assume it's some kind of digital thing but I can't really suss out more than that.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Little Mac posted:

Has Gambit ever charged up someone's costume?

I have a vague memory of Gambit charging up someone's boot sole to give them a likely-unintentional super jump boost in his 90s solo series. It was probably Wolverine, I think half that book was Remy dicking around with Logan.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

muscles like this? posted:

Eh, isn't DCAU Barbara older than the comic version? I'm pretty sure she didn't become Batgirl until she was in college/out of high school.

Yeah, by the time she and Bruce got together she would've been at least mid-20s, probably late 20s against Bruce's mid to late 30s. Not exactly a May-December setup.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Karma Tornado posted:

Every time Batman trains somebody, he'll leave something out in case he ever has to fight them. Then he can go "I TAUGHT you EVERYTHING YOU KNOW, but not everything I know" and then knocks them out.

Just once I want someone to be like "Batman didn't teach me everything HE knew, and Wildcat didn't teach me everything he knew EITHER, but Ted DID teach me something Bruce DOESN'T know!" *squirts bottle of siracha in his face*

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Rhyno posted:

She wasn't killed dude, we're just mocking how Flashpoint went down. She just doesn't exist yet.

Cue the Hanged Man sequence from Astro City. It's worse.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Chinaman7000 posted:

You know how in video games the villain is super tough, and all powerful, until they turn to your side?

Or in a cartoon, when the big villain temporarily joins the heroes for some reason and suddenly they don't have their awesome mess-you-up-in-one blast superpowers.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

I liked it in the Crisis on Two Earths animated movie when Earth Prime wasn't anything special, and in fact wasn't even alive anymore because they did something cataclysmic that threw their planet clear out of its orbit. Maybe Earth-1's the same, it's just some random schlub universe where Popeye eats kale instead of spinach or Earth is the fourth planet from the sun but otherwise nothing's changed.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

The Badass Panels thread has recently shown a bunch of Superman/JLA pastiches in Marvel comics and most of them are pretty good and really get what makes the classic DC pantheon great. Are there any examples of the reciprocal from DC's side of things? I'm talking explicit references and not just old legacy versions from back when everyone was doing X, like Captain America/Guardian or the Fantastic Four/Challengers of the Unknown, but clear analogues like Superman/Hyperion.

Not only can I not think of anything offhand, but I'm expecting any examples from recent history to be some immature cheap parodies instead of the generally thoughtful character examinations/homages that Marvel seems to prefer when they look across the desk. :(

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

WickedHate posted:

To be fair, Ultimate wasn't supposed to be different at the start, just without decades of continuity.

And really, there is something to be said for not fixing things that aren't broken. Trying too hard to be new for newness' sake gives us stuff like Earth One.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

The way it looked in the 90s cartoon flashback was like the adamantium was freaky-superscience-electroplated onto his skeleton through his flesh, so you'd think it bonded onto the surface of his bones on a molecular level and naturally avoided soft tissue like blood vessels, nerves, etc running through the bones. It only works with enhanced healing factors because, you know, being electrocuted while a metal turns liquid and soaks into your body to bond with calcified bone tissue is fifty kinds of fatal to any normal person.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

I thought he got knocked out by a yellow sun going nova while en route to Krypton with a bundle of some rare element that was going to arrest the core's nuclear meltdown.

E: this is what wikipedia says:

quote:

Tomar's most famous mission while serving in the Corps dealt with the planet Krypton. Krypton, a planet in sector 2813, was growing increasingly unstable. It was due to explode, caused by internal pressures deep inside the planet's core. Tomar-Re sought to use a rare compound called stellarium to absorb some of the tectonic pressure, thus saving the Kryptonians. He gathered the compound, and was en route to Krypton when a yellow solar flare blinded him, and forced him to drop the stellarium. He quickly recovered, but discovered he was blind. He gathered what little stellarium he could without his sight, and proceeded towards Krypton. He was closing in when his vision started to clear. The first thing he saw upon his sight returning was Krypton exploding. The Guardians recovered Tomar and brought him back to Oa, where he healed and rested.

I think I like the way I remembered it better.

McSpanky fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Oct 6, 2014

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

HitTheTargets posted:

No, we're getting Civil War II because of Hickman's Secret Wars.

I wonder if another Civil War will happen because of Avengers 3.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

What Flash really needed to do was go back in time and stop Mark Waid from writing the "Captain Atom goes nuclear" sequence in Kingdom Come because drat has that ever become an overblown threat/tired one-upsmanship game for unimaginative writers ever since.

When the New 52 needs to get reset, SuperboyMAN-PrimeoriginalcharacterdonotstealprofitsSielgelfamily will punch a hole in Captain Atom tied to an X-Element bomb and blow up the multiverse.

McSpanky fucked around with this message at 09:53 on Dec 31, 2014

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

CapnAndy posted:

Loki is some bizarro mythological flavor of transgender and bi. Odin's referred to him multiple times in Agent of Asgard as "my child who is both son and daughter", he can switch genders on a whim and says they're both equally true.

(Loki: Agent of Asgard #2)

I don't get why this is so hard for people to understand. I thought it was fairly well-known that Mystique was supposed to be Nightcrawler's father via morphing into a male form and conceiving with Destiny, and if she can do that with comparatively simple mutant powers then it should be trivial for a god-level shapeshifter to change genders on the fly.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Aphrodite posted:

No, he's right. Shapeshifting herself a dick is one thing. Actually being able to impregnate someone would be totally different and be pretty close to just being able to copy anyone else's powers.

Frogs can grow dicks, they can't grow punchbeam-spewing eyes.

Fake edit: granted, frogs can't typically be Throgs either.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

A Tin Of Beans posted:

Cool, I never read any of that stuff. Thanks!

That number of quivers is absurd and it owns.

He's literally got arrows coming out of his rear end, best arrowguy in history.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

muscles like this? posted:

There was mention of a daughter when they made the deal but it was implied to be one not yet born.

Speaking of that event, it completely killed my interest in Spider-Man so I never read an issue after it but did they ever explain why he went back to the mechanical webshooters?

I was hoping it was going to be "because everyone agreed that 'The Other' was effing stupid and we'll never speak of Morlun and Spider-Totems again" but then the whole of Spider-verse revolved around him and :ughh: