Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

bobkatt013 posted:

Byrne is a crazy person so it's not shocking that he has beef with everyone. Shooter has just been doing comics for too long. He started when he was 14.

Also remember this is right around the time Claremont was cleaning up Shooter's Ms Marvel rape story. I'd say there's a decent chance the two have a connection.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Metal Loaf posted:

I think Shooter's given mixed signals on gay characters. On the one hand, he's talked about how he always assumed Element Lad was gay when he was writing the Legion and one of his unrealised plans for a Valiant book was the main character realising that he's gay and subsequently coming out, both of which are fairly neutral examples.

But then there's stuff like the Hulk story.

He did have a gay character while at Valiant, that dude who palled around with X-O and lost his hand. And of course was 100% untrustworthy, betraying Aric and giving the X-O to some thugs. We couldn't have a positive gay character in the 50s 90s could we?

I think the point is that Shooter was never that great a human being, and deserves all the poo poo he got before and gets now.

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Random Stranger posted:

If he was gay I'm 90% sure that didn't get dropped into his character until after Shooter had been forced out of Valiant (which was actually relatively early in the X-O run at issue 9). In the early issues he was presented as a generic rear end in a top hat businessman and I don't recall anything about his sexuality.

Which isn't actually a defense of Shooter, of course. Everything I've heard about the man is that he was a pretty lovely guy. I just think you can't really use that as an example.

I could be misremembering, but I think it got brought up pre-Unity. That's the only X-O I read of the original series.

FAKE EDIT: Found it, issue #5 "Mmm, You're one good looking man Aric. If you were gay, you'd be perfect." Of course, this is also the issue that he starts betraying Aric. It's only a single line in there, but it fit with everything else that happened with him (i.e. being drawn a bit feminine, some of his vocab choices being a bit stereotypically gay) to create the standard gay betrayer.

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Random Stranger posted:

If it was that small of a moment then that would be why I completely forgot about it. Not that I want to use my brain for storing a lot of details about Valiant comics. :v:

Read the issues recently (part of a supposedly complete old Valiant collection that I got from a buddy) while I was going over all the pre-Unity stuff. Honestly, it's the only thing that stuck in my craw about those issues, but I've got a bone to pick with the way LGBT people have been portrayed in comics up until very recently.