Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

Originally Jean was supposed to survive the Dark Phoenix and have a normal life with Scott but editorial thought her charter was gone beyond saving for blowing up a planet as Phoenix so the story was changed to her dying.

For all characters deaths it all depends really. Nightcrawler's death was because they wanted to kill off someone to make the event like a big deal and Kurt could easily be written off without effecting any books while still being popular enough for it to "matter". Since it was an event it was also an editoral things.

For recent things Ultimate Spider-Man was because Bendis got fed up with Peter and wanted to change things, there's an upcoming event where The Watcher is being killed and that's all editorial. In the recent X-Men Legacy Legion "dies" because that's was Spurrier's plan for the character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

zoux posted:

Speaking of what are the spoiler rules around here, there's nothing in the rules thread.

There was stuff in the rules thread but it was got rid of because I think BSS has got to the point where everyone is alright for spoilers. Rule of thumb is that if the book is out you don't need to spoil it but commons sense and being considerate of other posters is always the main thing.

For example with the Nightcrawler bit I didn't spoil it because the character has already returned from the dead so them dying isn't really a big deal.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Pretty close. Here's Jim Shooter's recollection.

Ah yeah I got a couple of things mixed up. It was Madelyne that was going to go off and live a normal life with Scott.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

zoux posted:

I was reading the Invincible Iron Man Reconstructed run and it had Don Blake turning into Thor. What's the deal there, I thought they retconned it so that Thor was just Thor now? Explain to me how Thor works!

The Thor/Donald Blake stuff was constantly on/off throughout the entirety of Thor.

Donald Blake was a human cypher for Thor as a punishment from Odin and they would go through periods of being fused together until the films came out and Donald Blake wasn't in the films so he was killed off in the comics and effectively written out of existence.

Waterhaul fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Mar 3, 2014

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

zoux posted:

Huh, so there were zero Thor comics during that time or did they have like robot Thor and Beta Ray Bill comics.

Also, I read the Cap Reborn stuff this weekend, and even though it was pretty obvious that they wanted to bring Steve back pretty quickly, were people mad that they brought him back so soon?

There were. Here's the basic recent Thor/Donald Blake timeline.

The Ragnarok event happens and Thor and the other gods are killed/left in a void of nothingness. (2006)
Donald Blake finds Mjolner and is transported to the nothingess/void where he convinces Thor to come back to life and bring all the old Gods back to life. They have their standard swapping bodies relationship (2007)
JMS takes forever to write a handful of issues so the Thor books are finally dragged into another event book with Siege and Fraction takes over after a brief Gillen run (2010)
Thor film comes out and is popular (2011)
Fear Itself a terrible comic which was a Captain America/Thor crossover happens and Thor "dies" for a handful of panels. (2011)
Matt Fraction writes an arc where Donald Blake is written out of existance because he's not in the film. (2012)

From then on Thor is just always Thor.

Waterhaul fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Mar 3, 2014

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

He's supposed to be a constant reminder for Thor to keep his hubris in check.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

bobkatt013 posted:

I thought Ragnarok event was in 2004-2005. I also thought that JMS was told he could write Thor as he wanted until a certain point were he would be brought back into the greater Marvel Universe. Then when that happened with Secret Invasion/Siege, JMS had a hissy fit and left the title.

I got my dates slightly mixed. Thor ends in '05 and then Donald Blake returns in the lead up to Civil War in '06 which leads into JMS on Thor in '07.

As for JMS he was told he can do whatever he wants with Thor but then took forever to do the books until Marvel got fed up of waiting and just went with doing the Siege event. JMS did his usually of throwing his toys out of the pram and left.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

muscles like this? posted:

Wasn't Thor actually supposed to come back during Civil War, since they had that whole thing with Mjolner in Fantastic Four which ended up not being resolved for forever.

Yeah. Part of getting JMS to write Thor was that nobody else was allowed to touch the character during his run which is why the robot Thor came into existence. Then when Marvel went to do Siege he threw a fit, left the book, Gillen tied up some loose ends and Bendis wrote it that Thor was cool with everyone again.

Hakkesshu posted:

Not going to dispute him being a big baby, but I still think what he was doing in that book was much more interesting than whatever the gently caress went on in Siege. His run is the only one that ever made me give a poo poo about Donald Blake.

I didn't care for JMS Thor run but yeah anything is better than Siege and Fear Itself but hey at least we have God of Thunder now.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

The Nick Fury situation is pretty hilarious because of how hamfisted it's done.

Regular Nick Fury is just doing his usual thing and is slowly written out of everything except for Brubaker's Winter Soldier run because he's an integral character and Bru is basically writing his run out of existence anyway. Then very terribly nuNick Fury and Coulson are introduced with the explanation that nuNick Fury will have a different role than regular Nick Fury (but doesn't and becomes the SHIELD stand in) and is forced into pretty much any book they can be. And from the looks of the Captain America 2 film Sam Jackson is possibly being killed off in the films so now regular rear end Nick Fury is allowed to show up in the comics again.

Just an entire pointless mess.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

irlZaphod posted:

Doesn't Jackson have a 9 or more picture deal? What films has he been in? Iron Man (post-credits), Cap 1, Avengers, Norton Hulk...he wasn't in either Thor flick, was he? Or was he in a post-credits cameo in Thor? Then upcoming it'll be Cap 2, maybe Avengers 2?

He is in both Iron Man 2 and the post credits for Thor. He actually wasn't in Hulk. And while I don't think they'll fully write him off for future films he may "die" for a bit.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Madkal posted:

Is there a history of Nick Fury Jr? Did they give him much of a backstory or did he just appear because of the movie?

He just appeared because of the movie. His name isn't even really Nick Fury.

Avengers was coming out out so there was the terrible Battle Scars series spinning out of Fear Itself at the same time. In it Marcus Johnson finds out that he's the long lost son of Nick Fury and because of this has the infinity formula in his blood which bad guys want. With the help of his best friend Cheese they stop the bad guys but he loses his eye in the process. And then they become agents of SHIELD cause they are so cool. Also despite being 30/40 something his birth cert actually says Nick Fury Jr. so he decides to from now on go by Nick Fury.

Also his best friend who has been referred to as Cheese is actual Coulson.

And despite being a SHIELD agent for a day fills the Fury role in every book afterwards.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Aphrodite posted:

Avengers and X-Men stuff has been using Maria Hill without any appearance from Fury.

I thought nuFury had appeared in Bendis' X-Men stuff? But either way Bendis and Hickman can do what they want when it comes to the character, it's all the C list books and less that have to deal with nuFury.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Honestly that was an interesting post and while continuity is something that can be easily ignored I think for a character like Magneto who is basically a walking contradiction acknowledging his dumb past is important. It's not integral to reading revamped #1s but it is integral to the character.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

zoux posted:

Can Daredevil read?

He's blind?

He can read Braille and read regular print with his fingers.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Everything about Daredevil handling/not handling his powers all falls under the fact that he's also supposed to be the world's greatest ninja.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

The him being Scott and Jean's son wasn't until X-Cutioner's Song though I always thought he was supposed to be mysterious future badass with no real "origin" at the start.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

The Immonen/Schiti run is a good fun colourful book. Nothing at all connected to the Loki stuff but good, only lasts a handful of issues though.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Current previews point to the villain of Original Sin being The Orb which automatically makes it a million times better than Identity Crisis.

And I trust Aaron not to include rape retcons.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Gavok posted:

Spoiling because Boss Waterhaul spoiled.

He's a recurring villain in Jason Aaron's various Marvel work, first reintroduced in Ghost Rider. His head is a giant eyeball, which looks freaky, but it's actually a giant weakness that goes with how pathetic he truly is. He showed up in Astonishing Spider-Man and Wolverine, where some time traveling adventures hardened him and made him all jacked. I can't remember if he retained all that at the end or not. Regardless, an eyeball-headed supervillain stealing Uatu's eyeball sounds about right.

I was kind of just guessing based on the preview art from issue 2. Plus the hood only has one eye hole

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Something Else posted:

Is there a character responsible for making superhero costumes? I know a lot of characters make their own or whatever, but I'm picturing something like a "cosmic tailor" and I'm wondering if such a character already exists.

Gladiator (the Melvin Potter one not the Shiar one) runs a costume shop in New York and repairs costumes for heroes/provides them with fresh ones when they need them. Bendis littered a lot of characters who helped out heroes in that respect throughout his various street level hero runs.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Edge & Christian posted:

That's all well and good (except that Marvel and DC have been hiring people out of the indies as long as there have been indies and before it was indies it was fanzines).

The Golden/Silver/Bronze/whatever ages don't take war or horror or romance or Western or humor comics into account, even though the same guy that did Daredevil did fill-ins for Terry and the Pirates and edited witzend and Weird Science and drew the Disneyland Memorial Orgy poster.

Wally Wood :allears:

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

zoux posted:

Oh hey, I'm reading Avengers books but not single character books at the moment, and Carol just became Captain Marvel. There wasn't a power change or inciting incident was there, just Carol decided to change her uniform and start calling herself Captain rather than Ms. Marvel, right?

Yeah that's right. To keep the name Captain Marvel they need to keep a Captain Marvel book in print so she got a name change.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Very not good.

Yeah I'd say the same.

I wouldn't call his Spider-Man good at all, he was the worst of the Brand New Day writers once things kicked off.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Alien Rope Burn posted:

I could be misremembering what sorts he did or didn't do, it blurs together.

Off the top of my head he did the alright Flash loses his legs story and the really terrible Kaine Gauntlet story.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

prefect posted:

You can't possibly make more money writing comics than being a showrunner (unless you're one of the big names, maybe) -- did he get fired from TV?

Some people can do both.

He's already wrote TV and done comics at the same time before. Maybe he just really likes writing comics.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Uthor posted:

Wait, there's Brian Wood backlash on SA? I thought I was the only one who didn't like his writing.

Uhhh. He's had an interesting few months.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

hadji murad posted:

Can someone tell me what issues show Venom joining the Guardians? I've somehow missed this.

There aren't any really. The Free Comic Book Day issue of Guardians has Cap telling him to go to space "because" and that's basically it.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

sleepingbuddha posted:

What has Kid Apocalypse been up to since Uncanny X-Force?

He basically just hangs out at the Jean Grey school and shows up as a (now) main character in Wolverine and the X-Men. The current storyline is based around the future and Phoenix stuff and Evan possibly turning evil.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Soonmot posted:

Well, I think Reed and Sue are the only Marvel marriage now. Spidey sold his to the devil, Storm and Panther split during AvX, Mockingbird was a skrull when she marries/divorced Hawkeye. I can't think of any other Marvel marriages. Maybe Kazaar and Shana? Black Bolt and Medusa?

Yeah the marriage thing is a pretty ridiculous thing to point out when Marvel have basically just the Fantastic Four whom they seem to be breaking up.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Soonmot posted:

I cannot believe I forgot Luke and Jessica. Also Deadpool and monster lady.

Jessica has been effectively shunted off into obscurity since she's a Bendis only character so it's not too hard to forget.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

irlZaphod posted:

Wasn't it a wall of pictures of dead officers?

The official response is that she's in the same limbo that Stephanie Brown was for a while. They exist in the nu52 but she's not going to show up until they have "a story worthwhile for reintroducing her to the audience".

Which is the usual DC nonsense which means they aren't going to use her unless she's popular in Gotham or another TV/Film property.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

CzarChasm posted:

What's the explanation for Bullseye's powers? Mutant? Yet another failed super soldier attempt? Just really put in the time and effort to get good at throwing things? I know he had to train himself to throw like a major league pitcher for his solo comic.

He's just really good at throwing things.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

zoux posted:

Do I have to read AoU first?

You never have to read Age of Ultron. Never.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Yeah the Batarang appears in the first 4 issues or so. As far as i'm aware it's just effectively a boomerang until The Dark Knight Returns introduces using them as shurikens and the Burton Batman film introduces the Batarang/grappling gun.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

BadAstronaut posted:

Yeah, just be able to take more away that would come with being at least a little familiar with the comics and the background...

This bundle?
https://www.comixology.co.uk/Guardians-of-the-Galaxy/bundle/32

Yes that's the run you want and basically what the film copies for inspiration.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

BadAstronaut posted:

This is my first link :)
https://www.comixology.co.uk/Guardians-of-the-Galaxy-Vol-1-Legacy/digital-comic/28071

I'm curious if the bundle #1-25 incorporates all of the other link's content? Ie, the 1-6 in the other is the first 6 in this 25 bundle?

Yes. It's all the same series.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Endless Mike posted:

No one is trying to talk him out of reading comics, just saying that you don't NEED to read any to understand a movie.

Exactly. Most non comic readers think things are too confusing as it is, there's no need to full on dump a million books at someones feet straight away.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Literally The Worst posted:

Bendis's Moon Knight owns, y'all are retarded.

Nah Maleev is on point and he could have done interesting stuff with Ultron if Age of Ultron wasn't the mess it was but I didn't need for Echo to be made Spector's girlfriend and killed off for him to have more agency.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Sales weren't great but the excuse was that Bendis would only do it with Maleev and Maleev got burnt out for having to do the extra motion comic stuff as well as the regular book.

I liked it and thought it was a great (if maybe an issue or two long) opening arc that reshuffled Spider-Woman from "oh my life is destroyed" to "gently caress yeah I want to hunt aliens around the world".

It's a hell of a lot better anyway than the mess of Spider-Woman series with Hopeless/Land coming out at the end of the year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Sturm posted:

When the Phoenix Force leaves Rachel Grey at the end of X-Men Kingbreaker, where does it go to?

It recollected itself in preparation for AvX (this was back when Hope was to be Jean Grey reincarnated). Anybody who had a part of the Phoenix in them at the time lost it.