Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

brother
sister

If the first one is a 12ish year old. The second isn't close.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Jul 9, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Skwirl posted:

Not current, but I dug Grant Morrison on Man of Steel.

You mean Action Comics?

Yeah that (AC 0-18) and in addition to those mentioned,
Grant Morrison's 'Batman Incorporated'*, Jeff Lemire's 'Animal Man' and 'Green Arrow' (#17+), Scott Snyder and then Charles Soule's 'Swamp Thing', JH Williams III & W Hadan Blackman's 'Batwoman' (provided you pick up 'Batwoman Elegy' first), Greg Pak's 'Action Comics' (#25+) and most of all, China Mieville's 'Dial H'.

*The New 52 'Batman Incorporated' volume is the culmination of years of Grant Morrison Batman comics. Can be read alone, but I'd strongly recommend reading all of his trades starting with 'Batman and Son'.

I'm also really enjoying the current 'Batman Eternal' weekly comic and Peter Tomasi's 'Batman and Robin' is fave, but that comic kind of relies on you catching up on Grant Morrison's Batman work too.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 11:42 on Jul 11, 2014

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I dunno if Batman's met a Wildstormer yet.

I liked Stormwatch while Cornell and Milligan were doing it. Didn't even try the Starlin run.
Give it a shot.

They were also in Futures End with Hawkman and Frankenstein's fish head girlfriend on the team, but got blown up immediately.

e:

redbackground posted:

Ha ha, they literally just deleted the crappy reboot team from existence.

Reboot Midnighter and Apollo apparently came back in the last issue. I dunno to what extent Starlin's muckin' about did/changed anything in the end. Didn't read that one. But if it's any conciliation, according to Futures End, Apollo will have longer hair in five years.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Jul 11, 2014

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Jack Gladney posted:

It's been like 30 for the ones I'm thinking of. I don't know anything about comics after 1995. I am sorry.

They did a He-Man/DCU crossover this year. I think some reports among the general apathy is that it was fun.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I think I thought the issue where every page was one illustration was pretty neat.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Cap America has certainly been dullsville without him.
Granted it's not been set in an alternate dimension since JRJR either, but there's a lot to a book just having a distinctive look about it.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Is there a site that compiles old letter columns?
I just finished Morrison's Animal Man and I really want to read the reactions to it becoming progressively meta.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Faux-Hakeye shot an arrow into the head of a robot bad guy in the Faux-Marvel Dimension in Multiversity #1.
It was Faux-Dr. Doom, though. Close enough?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Are you reading his current solo book?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

CapnAndy posted:

when her book was worth reading :(

:crossarms: She-Hulk is fantastic at the moment.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

irlZaphod posted:

If you're looking for something to read then you should read Hickman's Avengers and New Avengers through to Infinity, because it's about a billion times better than House of M.

Seconding this.

Just read the House of M miniseries if you already have it, and then stop with Bendis Avengers.
There was some good stuff along the way (I had fun in Dark Reign, especially with Secret Warriors,) but I don't think doing his whole thing is really worth the time in hindsight.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 13:19 on Sep 15, 2014

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

There are good and bad books like always :shrug:
Superman stuff is a hell of a lot better. Wonder Woman just got a hell of a lot worse.
Justice League is twice as good since Forever Evil with Lex on the team, and Jeff Lemire's B-team JLCanada/United is much better than JLA was.
Lemire's Green Arrow just wrapped and was great.
The Batman side has a ton of more interesting runs and new books. Including a very decent "young adult" aimed comic of all things.

e: Oh yeah. Multiversity's a big plus mark.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 11:54 on Nov 30, 2014

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Space Fish posted:

If anyone knows good DC titles that follow in that vein, please let me know (I can take this to the recommendation thread if it's a bother)

The vein of being good? Dial H!
Recently, Greg Paktion Comics, Johns Superman, Justice League United, new mob boss Catwoman, G.I Zombie is surprisingly good.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Dec 10, 2014

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I get the feeling that it's generally much, much harder as an artist (e: penciler/main artist that is) than a writer.
Often writers will have two to four comics releasing a month, while artists will very rarely ever do more than an issue, plus whatever side gig doing covers, commissions, commercial work, etc. Plenty of comics will have artists on rotating arcs so they can catch up.
There probably are examples of writers needing fill-in relief, but I can't think of any. Art on the other hand...

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 11:09 on Dec 17, 2014

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Here are the fixes for print that the penciler did himself.
http://www.bleedingcool.com/2013/06/06/changing-the-art-on-injustice-gods-among-us/

There's a good gif somewhere that fades between pencils and bad finishing on a closeup of Catwoman.

e: There are pencils for some of that stuff on the artist's Deviant Art page http://davidyardin.deviantart.com/gallery/

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Dec 21, 2014

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Chinaman7000 posted:

I assumed that was Morrison's grand plan. Was it really just giving in to demand?

The last page of Morrison's whole run was a room full of Damian embryos. I take that as clear permission to do the resurrection.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Uthor posted:

That recent Vertigo Quarterly CMYK series: was it a one off thing or are they planning on continuing it year after year?

About a year before CMYK they were doing anthologies under old DC titles like Time Warp and Ghosts, so they'd probably do another series in some form.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Oh yeah! I'm super excited for that.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Quickest couple of things I could think of:

Greg Rucka's Batwoman: Elegy.
Sandman had an arc revolving around the tenants of a building that included a lesbian couple and a transgender person.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Feb 20, 2015

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Captain Marvel 2012 https://www.comixology.com/Captain-Marvel-2012-2013/comics-series/8220?ref=c2VhcmNoL2luZGV4L2Rlc2t0b3Avc2xpZGVyTGlzdC9zZXJpZXNTbGlkZXI
KSD's Avengers Assemble https://www.comixology.com/Avengers-Assemble/comics-series/5211?ref=Y3JlYXRvci92aWV3L2Rlc2t0b3AvbGlzdC9jcmVhdG9yTGlzdA&Issues_pg=1
Avenging Spider-Man 9&10 https://www.comixology.com/Avenging-Spider-Man-2011-2013/comics-series/6965?ref=Y3JlYXRvci92aWV3L2Rlc2t0b3AvbGlzdC9jcmVhdG9yTGlzdA
Captain Marvel 2014 https://www.comixology.com/Captain-Marvel-2014/comics-series/15021?ref=c2VhcmNoL2luZGV4L2Rlc2t0b3Avc2xpZGVyTGlzdC9zZXJpZXNTbGlkZXI
Guardians of the Galaxy from #15 https://www.comixology.com/Guardian...ZXI&Issues_pg=2

She's also in Hickman's Avengers from time to time. Most notably during Infinity.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Mar 2, 2015

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

This question may be a bit specific, unless there's someone with 90's comic coloring and printing experience, but I was just reading the Doom Patrol Omnibus and noticed this

with the color dipping into the black, making it darker and maybe glossier (It seems to blend in more when not angled to a light.)
Are those the colorist's strokes? If they are, I like seeing the process in it, but I can't see any other pages with bleed over like that, so I assume it's a mistake that we can see them.
What would've happened?

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Mar 17, 2015

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I think Avengers World features stories to fill the gap, but I sure haven't been reading it.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

At least while Kirby was doing the Fourth World stuff incl. 'Superman's Pal Jimmy Olsen', other people were re-drawing his Superman and Jimmy Olsen faces to be more on-model.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Mar 25, 2015

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

If the contents numbering is right, Avengers trade 6 ends on #34 and New Avengers trade 4 ends on #23 and TRO trade #1 pick up from the next numbers of both.

I've been doing Hickman's Avengers in digital singles, so I'm just looking at the numbers on the trades.
Seems there's no reason to get Avengers trade #4 or New Avengers #2 since you can only buy Infinity with the issues they cover included.
Also, Avengers trade #3 only has two issues not covered in the Infinity book? That's a rip.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Mar 29, 2015

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Read GLC and any other comic drawn by Pat Gleason.

e: Looking up Gleason on the old Robin solo... NOBODY TOLD ME FRAZER IRVING DID A TWO ISSUE ROBIN STORY FEATURING KLARION!
ee: and Gleason only did covers. Win some, lose some.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Apr 1, 2015

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Wheat Loaf posted:

I think it's because Gibbons and Tomasi seemed less, well, up themselves about it than Johns did, if you get my meaning. When they reach Blackest Night, GLC goes all-out and embraces the bizarreness of the concept, while the main GL comic was wallowing in self-importance about how this was a Very Serious Grant Morrison type treatise on the nature of death in comic books (as opposed to superhero zombie gore).

That's how I remember it, anyway.

I remember GL being fun during the event, with the Martian Manhunter battle with Flash and the Specter/Paralax fight, and the issue all about Black Mask was an incredible horror comic.
I think it wrapped in with the main story, life entity and that stuff at the end, but they were both fun diversions from the main series.

Forever Evil was a lot like that too. I found the Justice League side-stories enjoyable while the main series was garbage, and Johns wrote them both :shrug:

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I dunno what the spoilers are (don't wanna!) but last we saw in Batman/Superman Annual #2, he'd been depowered from expending his energy in his new super bomb power, and had to tackle a ton of brainwashed Batman villains who were set on him as a regular dude.
He handled it with Batman, gaining his non-superpowered respect, then a civilian showed up with the same brainwashing and stabbed him in the gut. The comic closed with him slumped over, bleeding and "See what's next in June!"

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Apr 24, 2015

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Deadpool posted:

It has nothing at all to do with any of that.

It's a totally weird cliffhanger then!

Look at that thing..

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Apr 24, 2015

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I think I read Greg Pak was going to use Lois in Action Comics before Lobdell made his plans for her. I'll just say if Lana Lang took her place, it worked out great for her. That character is fantastic now.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Yeah. Inhuman was planned for Fraction after those two issues.
I love it as is, though. Soule's good.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I really enjoyed those Baz setup issues before Geoff ended his run with the boring Third Army and First Lantern stuff.
He must've had plans for him on Justice League since he teased Simon training the JL's new Power Ring lady.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

CapnAndy posted:

Yeah, it was just a .45 or something, and it absolutely should have been upgraded to a laser gun or, like, some sort of experimental Lantern tech or something.

Wasn't the point that he didn't trust the crazy space stuff?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I think that looks neat :)

Speaking of bad backgrounds,
One of the lest few UXMs.

Hopefully there's a better editor on the Doctor Strange comic.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Every comic background should be a photo collage, imo.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

The Convergence mini was nice.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Travis343 posted:

I don't think Ralph and Sue have existed at all in the New 52.

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2015/06/19/the-dc-comics-character-hiding-in-the-secret-six-spoilers/

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Read the Countdown to Infinite Crisis one-shot. It's good and free.
https://www.comixology.com/Countdown-to-Infinite-Crisis-1/digital-comic/9092?ref=c2VyaWVzL3ZpZXcvZGVza3RvcC9ncmlkTGlzdC9PbmVTaG90cw

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Jul 21, 2015

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I still remember being incredibly impressed that Tekken 3 picked up 20 years later.
Paul has a beard! This is storytelling!

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

hadji murad posted:

didn't he make a video of himself driving? thats kinda dangerous

Inking a Hawk and Dove page while driving, which was probably a gag, but he still sure did it for the 45seconds of video.

e: I remember he was a big butthole on Twitter to people after getting canned from DC, like making GBS threads on Scott Snyder for some reason while Scott seemed just sympathetic and confused back.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Aug 12, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

ecavalli posted:

What I'm getting from this flurry of responses is that Rob Liefeld is a terrible artist who inexplicably found success, and thus responsibility, which led to his making a number of poor business decisions. He's far from a saint, but as a person, he's relatively low on the totem pole of comic book industry assholes. Or, at least, far lower than anyone would expect based on the ire his name conjures up.

It's not that complicated.
There was a completely specific time for his grit teeth, big guns and pouches and he never grew out of it.
On the other hand look at Greg Capullo, who was a total Liefeldian early 90's contemporary, but now does incredible modern stuff in Batman.

He's just a joke.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 10:41 on Aug 12, 2015