Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

e: wrong thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

redbackground posted:

Why in hell were comics in the '80s just obsessed with making sure readers knew that the story continued after an ad page? Was there just that much confusion about such things back then?

It's possible they were just worried that the readers might think the ad is part of the comic, which can be a legitimate concern if it's presented with a superhero strip or even features characters from the comic, which has happened.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Incidentally, I'd pay a dollar extra per comic if it meant they didn't have stupid ads in them.

Oh wait, I already am paying a dollar extra per comic...

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

The only "perk" my local theater has is that it's severely understaffed and no one working there gives a poo poo, so despite the "no outside food" policy you could bring an entire glazed ham with you and you wouldn't get in trouble.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Gavok posted:

Who are characters that Marvel is simply not allowed to use despite being part of its canon continuity?

Off the top of my head:

- Rom: Spaceknight
- Micronauts
- NFL Superpro
- Godzilla
- Charcoal from Thunderbolts
- Conan the Barbarian
- Red Sonja

I seem to recall that Patriot is off limits, but I don't understand why.

Do the Transformers count?

It blows my mind whenever something from those properties gets used, like when the Godzilla slaying helicarrier showed up in Incredible Herc.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

That whole issue is pretty good. Well, not really, the Penguin part kinda sucks, they drew him with the most 90s stubble ever and the story's weak, but the Riddler and Two-Face stories are pretty darn good, and the framing device is solid.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Unmature posted:

I'd also just generally like to know more about Moon Knight. What should I read? How was Bendis's run?

Bendis' run was bad and forgettable. Get pretty much any other run. The Huston/Finch run from 2006 is a great place to start, really.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Starsnostars posted:

I quite liked the Bendis/Maleev run, the run to really avoid is Hurwitz's Vengeance of the Moon Knight.

Vengeance of Moon Knight finished with a huge thud but it has more going for it than rehashing a gimmick from Ultimate Spider-man but way worse.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Hey, I'm the first to recommend Ultimate Spider-man to people, I just hate his terrible Moon Knight run.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Literally The Worst posted:

Bendis's Moon Knight owns, y'all are retarded.

I think you will find that you are the retarded one sir.

Waterhaul posted:

Nah Maleev is on point and he could have done interesting stuff with Ultron if Age of Ultron wasn't the mess it was but I didn't need for Echo to be made Spector's girlfriend and killed off for him to have more agency.

I still think the panels where the real Captain America has the same stubble that hallucination Marc Spector Cap had shows just how much Maleev cared about this project.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

The.... people... who write the official handbooks to the marvel universe have a very grognardesque fetish for unnecessarily specific details. Did you know that Spider-man's sticking powers come from a static electricity field he generates? That's because some nerd just had to come up with a reason for why it works through gloves.

I think maybe one out of 20 writers pays attention to that stuff, so don't take it as gospel.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

CzarChasm posted:

Well, the Yancy Street Gang, most notably

Those guys are real. :colbert:

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I'd love to know how editorial let Kitty Pryde say the n-word twice. I can see a writer thinking he's being clever, but I just don't know how, anytime past the 60s, someone can look at that word and be like "Yeah, that's fit to print".

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Madkal posted:

Is there any issues of Batman/Detective Comics that deal with the legal ramifications of Batman beating up perps? One would think some perp getting beaten up and left on the cops doorsteps would be a one way trip to all charges dropped/mistrial.

Batman Annual #14 from 1990 directly addresses this as the reason why he teams up with Harvey Dent in the first place.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Someday I'm going to ask how that works, but not today.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

FilthyImp posted:

the Organic Metal thing was touched on in Exiles (and I think in an X-men story proper) where someone with Colossus' power gets royally hosed up -- shredded internal organs and the like -- and is forced to remain shiny for weeks while the body mended itself.

"Like an elephant stepping on a bag of chips" as Dr. Strange put it.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Tunderstrike and Scarlet Spider come to mind.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Yeah, those interpretations of KnightsQuest and Death and Return always seemed like DC fans trying to rewrite history to make it seem like DC's bad 90s stuff was somehow clever satire.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

redbackground posted:

I don't know about clever, but JPV was pretty unhinged from the very beginning, and was never going to last long-term.

Well yeah, obviously, but that doesn't mean they didn't intend for this to catch on as a viable Batman book for the time it lasted. Superior Spider-man was never going to be permanent either but it also wasn't some kind of meta-commentary on the industry designed to teach readers a lesson.

Plus, have you loving read those comics? The stuff with the System and the insane narratives and all that poo poo was clearly in earnest. I mean, Azrael got his own book for a long long time afterwards, just because he was never meant to permanently replace Batman doesn't make the entire exercise some kind of Manchester Black thing. They could have made the point that Batzrael was a lovely Batman in about 1/3rd as many issues, if that was their only intent. Instead he wears the cape for about a hundred combined issues.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Odonata posted:

I seek infinity gem wisdom!

1- After Infinity Gauntlet, Eternity and / or the Living Tribunal ruled that the six gems could never be used together again. At what point was this undone?

Infinity War. Galactus appealed to Eternity on behalf of the heroic side believing they still had the gauntlet in their possession and planned to use it to stop Magus.

Lurdiak fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Sep 22, 2014

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

The thing with the gems is that if you don't have the gauntlet or at least some kinda thing to stick em on, you gotta hold 'em in your hands like a goofball or jam them into your own body which usually has bad side effects. It's just a matter of convenience. The one weakness that they have is that they're omnipotence that can be physically taken away from you.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Punisher somehow having objective information about the people he shoots is a necessary contrivance for it to be possible to root for him ever. Sometimes he has sidekicks, sometimes he eavesdrops, sometimes he has "contacts", and sometimes he just knows.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

prefect posted:

If somebody were to describe Alan Moore's work (Watchmen in particular) as "cryptofascist propaganda", what would be the best way to gently dissuade them?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_WUcKgOav0c

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Waterhaul posted:

In the Ultimate Universe he just survived as a head, in 616 I am pretty sure it never happened and would have died from it.

Man after he regenerated from a skeleton a couple of times, all bets were off.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

SirDan3k posted:

Those always had bullshit caveats though like he was suped up by magic or mgh, still dumb though.

If I recall, when Daniel Way had a nuke land on him, he wasn't souped up in any way. He just survived a nuke by regenerating from a skeleton.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

It's really strange how most people remember that fight as "Batman won".

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

redbackground posted:

I count every day I'm not killed by an extraterrestrial a victory.

If at first you don't succeed, redefine success.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Chinaman7000 posted:

Why doesn't he always use the Hulkbuster for everything ever.

You can't perform brain surgery with a chainsaw.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

e: Thought this was derailed.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Did you check if they did something like it in the FF or Silver Surfer cartoons? I know Thanos was hanging around in the latter a lot.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Considering it's a future setting, what he's referring to might just be generic worldbuilding, rather than a specific event from the "present day" shows. Like that vague world war with Ras.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Metal Loaf posted:

I think the only core members of the main FF team who have officially, properly died are Ben and Johnny.

However, Reed was out the book and believed dead for quite a while in the 1990s during the DeFalco/Ryan run; he had actually been exiled to the distant past by Hyperstorm, the son of Franklin Richards and Rachel Summers from an alternate version of the DOFP timeline, and subsequently gets revenge by getting Galactus to eat him.

For a while, FF was beating out X-men for being unreadable nonsense that immediately alienates new readers.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I liked when Ben's fiancee asked Daredevil and Spider-man "Isn't it better to have loved and lost?" and they're like "Uuuuuuuuhhhhh" *pull collar*

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

McSpanky posted:

I wonder if another Civil War will happen because of Avengers 3.

It's Captain America 3.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Jack Kirby was notorious for forgetting exactly how to draw characters he created, to the point that they had to have little guides on the wall of the Captain America office showing him where the star and big A go because he kept switching it around. So I totally believe that.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I grew up reading Stan Lee comics and to me that's just how comics should be paced. I don't understand modern comics' need to have so many huge panels or to break up conversation among a bunch of pages. It tends to come across as the comic book equivalent of characters in a soap opera making a reaction face accompanied by a dramatic string for about 10 solid seconds before cutting to commercial. It's pointlessly stretching out your material to get more buck for your bang.

I think just about every single modern 5-issue story arc could be told in 1 or 2 issues and lose nothing, and probably gain from not having issues where clearly nothing is loving happening because you can't put out a 3 issue trade. And as a reader, I'd be a lot more excited to get a conclusion to a story in 2 months instead of 5.

I love USM, I really do, but it's torture to read it as it comes out. And when I trade-read it, I ended up skimming over so much of the admittedly awesome art because I could see that hey, nothing loving happens on this page.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

zoux posted:

So they are aware that everyone hates him and thinks he sucks then?

Well, saying "everyone" is hyperbole. He does have his fans, and a lot of people don't care. But they are obviously aware of the criticisms, but have no reason to care. Unless his name on a book drove sales massively down, they have no reason to address the complaints.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Ramos' lovely art, while tolerated by many, definitely drove fans of Runaways away.

I'd assume if they put a really lovely artist on Ms. Marvel, a bunch of the new readers that aren't used to how comics rotate creative teams would immediately bail.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Well yeah, us dumb superhero comic readers are used to it, but for many readers of Runaways who aren't necessarily into superhero comcs, the art change was jarring and offputting. And make no mistake, that was a sizeable portion of the readers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

If there were insane people with superpowers like Magneto running around in real life I'd find it really hard to find it morally objectionable to brainwash them. Especially since we'd probably just have them killed instead.