Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.
I assume you mean the confirmed bachelor *wink* Rawhide Kid. How controversial was that at the time? Because comparing it to something like Gillen's Young Avengers it's about as salacious as a single piece of dry, white toast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

Metal Loaf posted:

It should come as a surprise to absolutely no-one that he originally wanted to make Kitty Pryde a regular character (as Franklin's new live-in governess), but then Excalibur ended and she was put back in the X-Men so he had to come up with something else.

I take a small measure of comfort in knowing exactly how a Chris Claremont run on Dr. Who would play out. It almost makes up for the skeeviness of knowing exactly how a Chris Claremont run on Dr. Who would play out.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I forget, why can't they go back? It breaks the timestream, or it just makes the future kinda worse than it would be otherwise?

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

Random Stranger posted:

I had a strange thought. Has Bruce Banner ever been served?

What I mean is, the Hulk does a lot of damage. Bruce Banner must get sued all the time for that. So I was thinking, what's it like to be the guy who has to serve Bruce Banner? He might be used to it by now and no longer get angry but the first few times it would be bad.

I imagine insurance companies treat it like an Act of God. We offer full flood, fire, and Hulk protection!

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I think Squirrel Girl did that to Thanos. The real, definitely not a fake Thanos.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

More of a comics related question than a comics question, but wasn't there a blog or podcast that went through the X-Men books Tom vs JLA style? I always meant to check it out and now I have a bit more free time coming up, but I don't remember the name.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

zoux posted:

Also, did this have anything to do with the brief return of Mar-vell in that weird AvX New Avengers storyline?

There was another one? Was this one also a Skrull?

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

It could be Elephantmen. I mean, it's worth considering the obvious candidate here.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I've been working overnights this week, and I've got a question that came to me during the slow hours: Is Cable based on the Metabarons? Robo-arm, psychic powers, and a really weird family tree.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

At least none of us will ever forget her. :unsmith:

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

Quick question based on DoFP coming to theaters soon: What's up with 616 Blink these days? She got brought back to life at the same time as Doug Ramsey, right?

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

We'll he's going to be dead soon. No cure for that.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

Except when they don't and they promote things like Multiversity and the Infinite Crisis video game. Yup, there's a reason we have a thread just to complain about the people in charge at DC.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

Vulcan isn't D'ken's son, Katherine was already pregnant when she and Chrostopher were abducted. OWWWWWWNED!

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

redbackground posted:

Because Internet, there's a wiki page of comic book/pop culture characters with that specific power. DC characters listed are:
Captain Atom
Matthew Stuart/Bedlam
Mr. Mxyzptlk
nosyarG ciD/Larry
Superman Prime
The First Lantern/Volthoom
The Spectre
Trigon
The Great Evil Beast

Mxy is one I should have thought of :negative:

Barry Allen caused Flashpoint and the New 52. If SB Prime counts, Barry runs circles around him.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I guess when DC won't stop copying you, there's only one way to fight back.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

Morrison dropped out after only one or two issues. He was doing it concurrently with Batman and I think Final Crisis (edit: it was 52). They got Keith Giffen to finish the planned 12 issue run, and even had the gumption to call it The Lost Year.

That said I don't really remember it. Maybe I never read it? I know I read the Midnighter solo stuff and that was a little uneven in my eyes.

HitTheTargets fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Jun 7, 2014

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I should say that Brubaker's Authority was straight up what got me back into comics, and I still really like it, but it somehow seems like such a generic superhero story. Yes, that's the run where they literally overthrow the American government, but it just lacks that cinematic quality that made Ellis' run so iconic and Quitely's run such a joy to look at when Millar wasn't writing dead baby jokes.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

Better or worse than a Bendix keeping his soul in a jar?

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

Oh, that might have to do with the fact that Milligan wanted to use Princess Di in the book but had to change her name to avoid offending literally everyone on the planet. Sounds like he went ahead and changed the name of England too, because sure why not?

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

zoux posted:

Red She-Hulk starts at #58, what's the preceding series?

Just plain ol' Hulk.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

A decent chunk of their digi-cyber-comics on the internet are good too. Most of them are "if you're into that kinda thing" good like the various tie-ins to Injustice, Arrow, and Batman '66. But there's also anthologies like Adventures of Superman and the upcoming Sensation Comics feat. Wonder Woman.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

He had a post-COIE series where he was kinda just a private eye who usually dealt with monster fights. It's pretty forgettable, with the longest arc being an interminable Invasion! crossover about a serial killer who gains the metahuman power to... To loving go inside the internet.

I guess it's vaguely notable for setting up the idea that Jim Corrigan & the Spectre are completely distinct entities, but Ostrander is the one who capitalized on that idea by introducing the Wrath of God stuff.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

Jack Gladney posted:

There's a Fantastic Four in the 60s where Dr. Doom harasses Jack Kirby and Stan Lee. There's also a What If? Stan wrote about the original Marvel office crew becoming the Fantastic Four. Stan has a mustache and Jack is The Thing. Stan's secretary is Invisible Girl because there weren't any other women working there at the time.

To be fair, when Flo started there was nobody else, period. Everyone but her and Stan were freelancers.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

They went on record saying that only the movies, and for whatever reason the Clone Wars TV show, are canon. So the current status of Dark Horse comicbooks: not canon.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

So Dazzler is going through a phase?

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

OldMemes posted:

Have they explained what the threat was that the DC Universe needed to be remade to face was?

I don't think so, but chances are it's the new version of the Anti-Monitor.

On a related subject: What's the latest in Futures End? I kinda... forgot about it.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I can think of a time when the angel of death came for Logan's soul, but he fought off the angel and wound up only mostly dead.

Fun fact: apparently this happens a lot. The angel was pretty pissed at Logan.

Also an alternate Wolverine is killed in Limbo by S'ym during the original Magik story, but I can't recall if it's on panel or just him gloating at regular a Wolverine.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

Random Stranger posted:

While we're on this, I thought it would be a fun storyline if Loki reversed the enchantment on the hammer and made it so that anyone who was not worthy could wield the hammer. Cue Thor desperately trying to deal with a situation where everybody is carrying around his hammer and causing havoc. If you can't come up with half a dozen cool things to do with that concept then you must not be a comics fan.

Let's be real, it would immediately go to Deadpool.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

Hollismason posted:

What issue of Earth 2 does the guy who writes Injustice, who's name I completely forget start writing it?

Issue 17. And it's Tom Taylor.

Also apparently he was the last writer on The Authority before The New 52. :shrug:

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

What happened? All I know about Arena is that only two or three people died for realsies and that the follow-up series gave Chase a douchy haircut.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

You say "real" but I don't know if you've thought that through.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

Lurdiak posted:

Someday I'm going to ask how that works, but not today.

Original Sin was about a guy called The Watcher, a dude with one eye, and a dude with an eye for a head.

Clearly Axis is going to be about skulls and brains. Ghost Rider and Martha Johansson team up to fight Taskmaster and Cranio, The Man With The Tri-Level Brain.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Comics Should Be Good did a great article on that.

Oh, weird. I knew he went feral during that time, but I didn't know it meant he was literally a caveman monster. I guess that explains a bit about the way Bone Claws Wolverine is usually written off as a dumb period of his life.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I don't think I've ever heard that from the horse's mouth, though. Is it just a highly plausible theory?

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

You don't really need much backstory for House of M, partly because it's an alternate reality, and partly because it itself is backstory for a bunch of X-Men stories up through AvX. There's a very important three word phrase in the final issue; you'll know it when you see it.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I'm trying to remember the name of a comic from... maybe a decade ago? It was an indie black-and-white in the vein of Scott Pilgrim or The Amazing Joy Buzzards that was basically about a couple of famous punk rockers raising a family.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

Benito Cereno posted:

Hopeless Savages

Thanks, bro. It's as if you're a scholar of some kind.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

Gaz-L posted:

HG Wells would never murder anyone. He was friends with Superman!

I just realized that Kristin Wells was probably named for this guy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

You could also regular drown him, like Daken. You don't have to go completely Garth Ennis.