Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.
Read more What Ifs. Dude bites the dust about as often as a Spider-Man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I mean technically his plan went off without a hitch, he just didn't plan on winning that fight. :shrug:

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

If Civil War taught me anything, Tony Stark is the Hitler of the Avengers.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

No, we're getting Civil War II because of Hickman's Secret Wars.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I'm still a little surprised his Exiles run didn't have a Kitty Pryde, but maybe he had his hands full with the no-foolin' 616 Psylocke on the team.

Gaz-L posted:

...It did, though? They just called her Kat. His Exiles was basically every X-lady he's known for fawning over, bar Storm.

poo poo, really? Did Callisto show up?

HitTheTargets fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Nov 26, 2014

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

Rhyno posted:

It took Bendis & Bagley 7 issues to do what Lee & Ditko did in 10 pages.

They condensed the hell out of Clone Saga though.

Hurray?

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

Hey, do we know Lady Thor's origin yet?

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

Are we arguing that he could choose to change his sexuality?

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

There was an article on Comics Oughta Be Fun! awhile back that just talked about all the crazy hats Kirby put on Odin. Never the same hat twice.

Lurdiak posted:

It's still a little weird to imagine someone shapeshifting a dick out of nowhere just to experiment in the bedroom.

To me it's just that it makes her shapeshifting too good. Like, why doesn't she turn into Cyclops, get his eye beams, and straight murder some fools? Because in a setting where DNA is loving magic, she can't copy DNA. I will always be That Guy when it comes to X-men powers though, I love the weird limits that pop up because of Claremont logic. To my mind, it's the closest American comic to JJBA.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

Rhyno posted:

Well we had Avenging Spider-man, Superior Team-Up, Savage Wolverine and Savage Hulk. I'm sure we'll get some variation based on the next film that isn't Ant-Man.

I'd read Ant-Man Team-Up. It'd be great for the guest character, because they wouldn't be the second stringer of the pair.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

Speaking of getting better overnight, wasn't Forge bugfuck loco the last time he appeared?

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

Is she still around? I fell off the GL books after Brightest Day made it seem like like they'd be about all the other corps. I probably wouldn't have admitted it at the time, but there were pretty major diminishing returns on all the new characters.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I had the character bio special issue for Clone Saga. There's a frame story, which is neat, but also means maybe you miss the origin of Spider-Cide if you skip it.

Also, I cannot tell you what half those dudes' deals were, and I literally only knew them from the book that told you what their deals were.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

He punched a story so hard it became non-canonical.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

CapnAndy posted:

He didn't mean to, he was lashing out, and everyone's reaction to an already somewhat unstable teenager in the midst of an emotional breakdown turning out to be so powerful he was to Superman what Superman is to them was "gently caress this kid, let's pile on more!"

Understandably, since he'd just loving decapitated one of their friends in front of them, but still, holy poo poo, wrong idea. Like I said, he's supposed to be a tragic figure.

Supporting this, he pretty quickly starts rewriting things in his head. I think he literally said out loud "You're making me act like you!" to the people he thought were too violent and unheroic.

Now, I can't remember if he shows any remorse for the death of OG Superman at the end of Infinite Crisis. If he did, there's a bit of tragedy there. If not, then he's already full-on villain and what little psychological drama he had was abruptly ended.

Edit: I just remembered he carves an S-shield into his own chest after that fight. Yeah, he was full-on villain already.

HitTheTargets fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Jul 23, 2015

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

Gavok posted:

Yeah, that was weird because she didn't look all ghoulish and the next story he was in completely ignored it.

Maybe it was one of those plastic giveaway rings.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

True, but it's a hook that immediately makes you go "Who are the other six?"

Like, at least when Mr. Terrific called himself the World's Third Smartest Man, you knew it was a concession to the fact that Batman and Luthor are never going to be less popular than him. Amadeus probably would've overtaken Pym if they'd let him.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

Gaz-L posted:

I did like the recent revamp of Nightshade which had her identity disguised by referring to her as DNS, which was unusually up-to-date.

It is kinda sad, considering I can at least think of one DC lady that fits the bill in Dr Light. And probably Poison Ivy too.

The new Power Girl, if anybody at all cared about Teen Titans right now, would be the strongest contender.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

zoux posted:

And God help us if Taskmaster ever observes Reed being smart.

I don't know that it's ever had official support, but I've always liked the idea that Johnny Storm actually has a decent understanding of science just because Reed has explained things in simple metaphors so many times. He doesn't know exactly what he's talking about, but he's basically got the gist.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

That's his mutant power.

No really. It was a Thing for awhile that any half-human/half-mostly human dude was automatically a mutant. So that'd go for Atlanteans, Eternals, Inhumans, etc.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

Travis343 posted:

He's a nice guy, apparently. He's also really, really bad at everything, literally. His most enduring addition to the medium is Deadpool, who started out as a blatant, unimaginative ripoff of DC's Deathstroke, who only found his current success as a walking image macro under other writers. He turned New Mutants, a critical and commercial hit featuring Bill loving Sienkiewicz on art into loving X-Force, which as much as it sold a bajillion copies was loving drivel and set the tone for the metal arms/glowing eye fetish of the next decade. As much as all of the artists who left Marvel for Image symbolize the worst of 90s comic books Liefeld is the worst of them. Most comics fans have let themselves stop caring about the likes of Erik Larsen and Jim Valentino but Liefeld has persisted as a symbolic representation of everything that was wrong with comics in the 90s. I think a lot of this is due to Heroes Reborn honestly. Seeing that guy drawing beloved icons like Cap and Thor really cemented him as some kind of comic book antichrist in a lot of people's minds.

I think it's a little disingenuous to imply Liefeld came on to New Mutants book right after Sienkiewicz, when it was at the top of its game.

Hilarious to think about though. Can you imagine Rob's Warlock in the nightmare scenario he faces in Mutant Massacre? It'd be so wrong.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

toanoradian posted:

My first exposure to the DC comics was The Flash, because I loved the tv series. From what I can gather, unlike the tv show, in the comics Barry Allen is best buds with Batman and the Green Lantern instead of the other Green guy. In the comics, what sort of relationship does Barry Allen have with Oliver Queen?

They get along alright, but you're far more likely to see Flash/Green Lantern or Green Lantern/Green Arrow.

Kid Flash and GA Jr. were pretty chummy, if I recall correctly.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

When did Taskmaster's origin change from being born with his power to getting an injection?

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

Weren't comics used as a tool to educate soldiers about how to tell fine, upstanding Chinese men apart from their Japanese nemeses?

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

Endless Mike posted:

The X-Men have a guy who can build literally anything, and they were on the team together for a significant period of time. Surely he could have thought "how about I build a small ring with a button that can turn mutant powers on and off?"

Forge was introduced as a guy working with the government specifically to build a "turn Rogue's powers off" gun. He accidentally shot Storm with it, and learned a valuable lesson about knock on effects.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I actually read an April Fool's article that got me thinking about Aquaman, and I think the problem really is just as simple as the fact that he only works underwater. You can do great Aquaman solo stories, but they're all going to be underwater, or near water, or that one time in Morrison's JLA when he used his fish-talking power to talk to the part of the human brain that's basically just a weird fish if you think about it.