Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I keep seeing this "AR" in the corner of some panels in certain Marvel books I'm reading, what the hell is that? They're digital versions if it makes a difference.

While I'm talking acronyms, who is VC and why do they own all the letterers? Why are just letterers and not other artists under some outside corporate umbrella?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

prefect posted:

It stands for "augmented reality". I gather that you can do something with the digital versions of the comics where you get extra pages that aren't in the printed books.

Virtual Calligraphy is a lettering studio. I don't know why just letters are all handled by one organization. :shrug:

Ah, Unlimited was touting something like that on the app home page, bit every time I tried to download one of those special comics it crashed my iPad. It shows up in odd titles I'm reading but I don't know how to activate it or even what I'd be activating!

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Ok I'm reading Infinity today and I just had my wisdom teeth this morning out so I'm not 100% on my mental game, but I'm confused . The builders are absolutely wrecking the combined fleets of every one ever and reduce them to a fraction of their strength. Then Thor throws a hammer through one dude and suddenly the tide is completely turned. Did I miss something in a tiein or is this just a standard "now we can win because we believe (even though we're down to a tenth of our strength)" comic book deal?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Cyclops has one coming up right?

Skwirl posted:

Rogue had a mini too. Yeesh, at this point I'm just surprised this is Storm's first.

Edit, Dazzler, but I'm pretty sure that started as a solo book and then she joined the X-men.

Dazzler, iirc, was, introduced in UXM and they were like, oh please Dazzler you're so cool join our team, and she was like "nope gonna do my own thing because DISCO WILL NEVER DIE". Some one told me the other day that Dazzler was supposed to be a Grace Kelly-type emption controller and then they decided to hop on the disco bandwagon.

zoux fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Apr 30, 2014

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

bobkatt013 posted:

Why are you blaming Bendis for a Brubaker comic in fear itself captain america 7.1 or battle scars?

BENDIS DID EVERYTHING THAT IS WRONG AND PROBABLY 9/11 TOO.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Arrow showrunner Marc Guggenheim is taking over X-Men. I only know him from the fact that he showruns the best superhero show of all time, how's his comic book writing?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Yikes. Does that have anything to do with him leaving the book?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Karma Tornado posted:

I love how many dudes either Batman or Wildcat has trained. It's like how everybody who ever had a cup of coffee at the Avengers mansion got trained in hand to hand combat by Captain America.

Him or Wolverine. You know how you can tell if someone has been trained by Cap or Wolverine? They'll loving tell you.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Unmature posted:

The correct answer is all comics are worthless and the ones actually worth money won't get you near what you'd like. So just enjoy reading them.

Hang on minute, I got this one here it's the one where Superman dies, that's gotta be worth a pretty penny. Superman don't die every day now, do he?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Do the new Marvel Knights books take place in 616?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Senor Candle posted:

I'm almost positive they are elseworlds. I've only read the Spider-Man one though.

I read the first Wolverine one and it just seemed like any old Wolverine standalone. Beast was there in what looked like his latest mutation form, he teams up with Rogue and Kitty, there wasn't anything that would indicate it was in a different universe.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Senor Candle posted:

I thought you were talking about the ones that came out a few months ago?

I read all my Marvel comics through Unlimited so I live in a comics world of a few months ago.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Here's a Q: So I'm hype as gently caress about the Flash show and it makes me want to read some Flash comics, but DC doesn't have a digital back catalogue service like Marvel's. How come? Are their licensing issues that Marvel doesn't have or something? Seems to me like the quickest way to lose in a market where there are only two competitors is to let the other guy do something you aren't doing.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

bobkatt013 posted:

well there is comixology and it has a bunch of great Wally comics.

Sure, sure, but I'm talking about a subscription service. I know I can go out and buy individual books either physically or digitally but at the rate I read books it gets real expensive real fast.

Basically why isn't there DC Unlimited?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

bobkatt013 posted:

Marvel does it and therefore DC wants nothing to do with it. See also recap pages, a competent trade program, marriages, and more than a handful of books worth reading.

Is it literally a spite thing? Because as far as I can tell outside of Batman, Marvel is crushing DC and you'd think someone would go, erm hey, maybe we should see why they are kicking the poo poo out of us.

p.s. do I have to buy comics through Comixology on their site and then it will DL through the app or what?

zoux fucked around with this message at 19:36 on May 15, 2014

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Jessica's been all "OMG MY BABY WHERES MY BABY" since Civil War so I'm glad she's not around anymore. I didn't figure Bendis would let such a great character get turned into a one note bore fest but he wrote a bunch of the poo poo so I don't know!

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

bobkatt013 posted:

He is the only person who has ever wrote her.

Really? Well then that's extra what the gently caress.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Madkal posted:

This one is the funniest in regards to DC loving up. There was media surrounding Northstar getting married and a lot of positive press. DC could have done the same thing. It was pretty much set up for them completely. Instead they suck so hard that they nixed the whole thing due to their stupid policy which ended up biting them in the arse as people thought they were against gay people getting married.

Who were they going to have get married?

Also, who are the gay DC characters?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Did they nix the marriage through killing one of the characters, or just editorially?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Skwirl posted:

Batwoman was going to get gay married to a cop but DC nixed it and did it so abruptly the writer and artist quit, and it looked like DC was objecting to the gay thing at first.

It turns out they just hate all marraiges, the King and Queen of Atlantis aren't even loving married.

Is Aqualad a bastard :ohdear:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Y'all are gonna have to explain referenced to DC properties, I'm afraid.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

They got Squirrel Girl as a nanny and Jessica kind of became a New Avenger for a couple of issues towards the end of the Bendis run. I think that probably anything interesting they were going to do with here got swallowed up by Fear Itself and she never really did anything.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Alien Rope Burn posted:

I just reread it, it's mostly Won't Someone Think About The Baby stuff.

That being said, Bendis hinting at an interesting plot or character arc and then proceeding to drop it like a wet fart is pretty much his MO, so I don't know if I'd just blame Fear Itself. Having been rereading New Avengers, he's basically the Claremont of the oughts as far as introducing and abandoning plot threads goes.

Well since the Avengers were involved in a huge company wide crossover every 2 months it seems, I don't know how you can expect him to develop storylines when Dark Asgard is crashing into Avengers tower every five minutes.

Has Bendis ever commented recently on his writing of Jessica Jones? It's a real disappointment that he took a really cool, interesting female character and turned her into a hysterical mother.

Nanny Squirrel girl was cool though.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Unbelievably Fat Man posted:

It's a minor plot point in one of the Mark Waid Daredevils that DD's marriage got annulled.

I don't blame people for being confused, they were all over the place with the will they/won't they (get divorced). Were they still married when the Coyote stuff went down?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Now he's really good at just sort of laying there forever.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Doesn't Wolverine not have his healing factor right now?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

DC really hates multiple universes for some reason and has had massive company wide crossovers to merge alternate realities and reset continuities 3 (?) times.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Does DC have any reality benders like Proteus or Scarlet Witch?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

redbackground posted:

Because Internet, there's a wiki page of comic book characters with that specific power. DC characters listed are:
Captain Atom
Matthew Stuart/Bedlam
Mr. Mxyzptlk
nosyarG ciD/Larry
Superman Prime
The First Lantern/Volthoom
The Spectre
Trigon
The Great Evil Beast

Mxy is one I should have thought of :negative:

That list also includes Kyle Broflovski :what:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

muscles like this? posted:

In the tooth fairy episode of South Park Kyle starts to doubt what is real (because of his parents lying to him) and he kind of steps outside of reality for a minute.

I see....

Also today I saw that Galactus is on the cover or Ultimate Cataclysm, so are they retconning Gah Lak Tus or what here?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

So does that mean 616 is currently Galactus free?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Did Fraction leave FF/F4 on good terms and how do the series maintain after he's gone?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Does Thanos do anything between the end of his 04 Series and the beginning of Annihlation?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Ok cool. I just read the Thanos series and the three Inhumans series before embarking on my great quest to read all of cosmic Marvel through Thanos Imperative. Wanted to make sure I didn't miss something.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Ultimate doesn't have the WoK Warriors books for some reason, and I've heard the Skarr stuff is skippable. They've had Kingbreaker 2 & 4 forever but just added 1&3, which is what prompted me to read this stuff.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Hey it's just a laid bag jpeg man, it's not trying to lay any harsh rules on ya, read what ya want.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

So the current GotG team only goes back to 2008?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Rhyno posted:

The current team goes back like a year and a half. It's not exactly the same lineup as before.

Right, but I thought it was like a Sliver Age team or something. I was reading Starlord #1 today and when Peter met Rocket for the first time I was like, hang on....

I also have no idea why I thought they were an old school team, but I did.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Why does Groot go from talkative to only saying "I am Groot" starting in Annihilation Conquest?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Well I don't think their mother was Jewish so they wouldn't be either.