Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Where do all the super specific numbers for Marvel stuff come from?

Apparently Sue Storm's invisibility field can cloak exactly 40000 cubic feet, and she can make solid objects of up to exactly 100m in diameter. I've seen similar exact numbers given for strength and power distances and things like that too.

Did Marvel decide to hammer all that stuff down at some point?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Lurdiak posted:

The.... people... who write the official handbooks to the marvel universe have a very grognardesque fetish for unnecessarily specific details. Did you know that Spider-man's sticking powers come from a static electricity field he generates? That's because some nerd just had to come up with a reason for why it works through gloves.

I think maybe one out of 20 writers pays attention to that stuff, so don't take it as gospel.

One of those guys posts on the official forums for Marvel Heroes (the Diablo 2-like game) and he's pretty much the worst. I think he did like the 2005-2007 handbooks.

He whined for like 2 weeks when they created an original costume for Squirrel Girl that was a Christmas dress because 'Squirrel Girl doesn't wear skirts' or some dumb reason like that.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

prefect posted:

Has he got a published reason to think she doesn't wear skirts? Just because she hasn't been seen wearing them doesn't mean she's categorically opposed.

:goonsay:

There are appearances where she has anyway. Including another costume she already had in the game.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The new Thor being Lady Loki would be a very weird way to go.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

zoux posted:

I always put in gently caress because it always fits.

What's the worst swear that you are allowed to say in a mainstream Big Two book?

Imperious Rex. Namor has a dirty mouth.

And not just from making out with the Mariana Dirt Queen.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Also don't make it bold probably.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Holographic preamble to his last will and testament. He's making them do a job before he tells them who owns the school.

(It's probably all of them equally.)

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I always see Franklin Richards listed as the most powerful "Earth-bound" mutant.

Is there an actual notable mutant more powerful out there, or is that qualifier just to be non-committal?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The idea that the adamantium poisoning constantly keeping his healing factor busy kept him from turning into Sabretooth always sounded really clever to me.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

You probably already know it.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Vision was Wanda's Smizmar.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

White Events are also in Hickman's Avengers, but that's a direct reference.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Didn't one of Barry's origins have him deciding on "The Flash" because of Jay Garrick comics?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I think there's one issue of Ultimate Spider-Man where he's doing a Help me _____ list and says Superman too.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

prefect posted:

If somebody were to describe Alan Moore's work (Watchmen in particular) as "cryptofascist propaganda", what would be the best way to gently dissuade them?

Force.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Potsticker posted:

What even is a cryptofascist?

People who search for mythological and legendary fascists.

Aphrodite fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Oct 17, 2014

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

And as you can now see, the show has a guy with the name but none of the other characteristics of one of them and another guy without the name but quite a few of the characteristics of the other.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It's like the spear throw in 300.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

What occupies the rest of the Baxter Building?

Reed and the FF's stuff only seems to be in the top few floors.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

If Batman survived with Terror, Crime, Fear and even Horror not allowed I'm pretty sure most could have.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

A Tin Of Beans posted:

Has Reed Richards ever died?

Like 90% of Reeds Richards' in the multiverse are dead.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Batman's teeth were drawn in the same color as his skin I think?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Uthor posted:

What ended up being the Last Will and Testament of Charles Xavier? I haven't kept up.

Keep an eye on this super powerful mutant I brainwashed against his will.

If you mean who gets the school then no, the story has not finished. But now it has time travel!

Aphrodite fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Dec 27, 2014

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Wolverine is still alive in X-Men because of how long this story is taken.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The Question IRL posted:

It's actually more like "Keep an eye on this super powerful mutant I brainwashed, because he asked me to as he couldn't live with the thought of what he became."

That was the second time. He did it on his own the first time.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

More than Meets the Eye and Robots in Disguise being the names of the 2 comics is pretty funny.

Maybe they can start a bad guy comic called The Evil Forces of the Decepticons.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

SynthOrange posted:

Noh-Varr is half insect, so any pairing with him is bestiality.

Bestiality is with animals. With bugs it's insecest.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Rhyno posted:

The version of Loki that appears in Young Avengers has no sexual history to be fair. I also don't recall Noh-var hooking up with any guys, can somebody confirm that one?

He's already old Loki squatting by then.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

He has his memories, it counts.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Lurdiak posted:

Then why is there another Old Loki running around?

Time travel. Same Loki.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

No, he's right. Shapeshifting herself a dick is one thing. Actually being able to impregnate someone would be totally different and be pretty close to just being able to copy anyone else's powers.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Random Stranger posted:

I disagree, but we're going down the very dark path of Larry Niven, Jim Shooter, and Chris Claremont. Do we really want to debate the nitty-gritty of how superpowered sex works?

It has nothing to do with the sex itself. It's her power. At the time she could only change her outward appearance. She might be able to do it now because apparently she's been made stupidly overpowered as per usual, but she used to have limits.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Beast sure has had a lot of looks for a guy whose mutation isn't even the thing making him look like he does.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I kind of want to see a challenge.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

WickedHate posted:

That still doesn't make it better. :shrug:

Yeah it does.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Nobody cares, you sad person.

(Okay a bunch of people care but they're all loving weird too.)

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

There's a lot of Avengers and New Avengers issues since the last thing you read and it ends in a couple of months so things are really ramping up now.

Apparently tomorrow's issue reveals who the big bad is finally.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

You should be able to sideload MU onto a Fire.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

They make it sound harder than it is.

You use a webpage that will let you download the APK from the store, and then a file explorer to run that APK. Just like installing a program on a PC.

It only seems harder because first you need to flip the option to allow that, and there's no actual built in file explorer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

zoux posted:

Is Scott's phoenix egg anywhere in the X-Books?

No, not even the vaguest hint of it.