Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Soonmot posted:

\/\/\/ But a tablet is even smaller than my laptop screen? .cbrs flipped 90 degrees read perfectly.

What resolution is your laptop screen? My 9" Nook HD+ has a 1080p screen, cost $150 on sale, and is much nicer to read comics on than my 1366x768 15" laptop turned sideways, not to mention the size and bulk of a laptop and being able to hold a tablet closer to your face and the tablet having much better viewing angles. My friend has the older Nexus 7 with a 1280×800 7" screen and has almost no problems (has to zoom in a bit on double page spreads).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Soonmot posted:

Does anyone remember a comic panel that was posted here about some up coming comic or web comic that had a girl with a sword running down a bridge and beating the poo poo out of some skeletons? It was posted maybe a year ago or more. It just popped into my head and, for the life of me, I can't remember what it was from or if it was ever released.

It was by Jake Wyatt. Here's all there is so far.
http://jakewyattriot.tumblr.com/tagged/Necropolis

He was going to do a web comic, then put up a message about it "going to print" without any other information. I believe he's drawing it now (an issue? a volume?) and will put up 1 page/week once he finishes. Haven't seen anything posted about it recently so who knows.

EDIT: There's some posts with sketches and the like in his tumblr beyond the link above.

Uthor fucked around with this message at 13:42 on Mar 9, 2014

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Wasn't X-Men #1 overhyped and retailers bought way more than they eventually sold? I was reading something as a lot of shops sunk significant money into buying copies, then had trouble digging out of the hole.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

It also sounds like an arc of Sandman (with the Cuckoo) and Stephen King's The Dark Half, but not quite for both.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

The last Superior Spider-Man Team-Up read (I think I'm a couple issues behind) had Punisher shoot Spider-Man point blank, but Spock invented bullet proof webbing and was okay.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

There used to be a few, but they always die out quickly. Not sure if there's still a generic floating around.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

I'm too lazy to pull out the books and look, but was the older white guy Bruce Willis? I'm thinking NewUniversal, which fell victim to the Warren Ellis Hard Drive Crash of Ought Seven.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

SiKboy posted:

In the interests of pedantry; Its possible it was billy batson that was killed by the nuke rather than captain marvel, because he detonates the bomb (which is a futuristic supernuke rather than a conventional nuke) by shouting Shazam.

Marvels Wonder Man would survive a nuke, worst case scenario he is atomised and has to reconstitute himself from ionic energy.

Magog survives a nuclear level blast when Captain Atom (I think?) blows up in Kingdom Come.

Dr. Manhattan.

Probably Apollo.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

That's almost half the series to buy at that point. I think he hit his voice with the Death issue in the first TPB and while the plot doesn't really kick off until the second half, if you're not charmed by that issue, you probably will lose your patience long before then.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Benito Cereno posted:

6) early 2010s-???: This era will almost certainly be notable for the rise of digital distribution, but who knows what else is coming? It's hard to see a paradigm shift when you're in the middle of it.

Anyway, like I said: none of this really means anything. But there you go.

To contrast 5), artists are seeming to be moving back toward parity with writers, at least (Marvel's recent move away from a house style, Image bringing a lot of style ... again). And creators raised on the Internet/webcomics are gaining prominence and jobs with the Big Two.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Benito Cereno posted:

Well, I was going to mention the pendulum swinging in favor of creators' rights, increased parity among creative teams, and more diversity in both characters and creators, but I didn't want to jinx it.

Oh no, what have I done!

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

zoux posted:

I thought it was pretty well accepted that Watchmen changed the game as far as what comic book creators could do, but also as evinced by my questions in this thread I am a raw comics dilettante who may just be laboring under false information I read in a buzzfeed article.

I terms of publishing, it follows in the footsteps of Camelot 3000 (which I haven't read), which lead to Frank Miller's Ronin, which lead to DKR and Watchmen.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

zoux posted:

Some Kree dudes resurrected him with part of the Mkrann crystal and they wanted to use the Phoneix force to give them ultimate power but it was actually just one dude who was mind controlling everyone on the Kree planet.

It was weird.

"Comics: It Was Weird"

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

McSpanky posted:

What does "separation" mean? I've seen that credit in some recent-ish comics and I assume it's some kind of digital thing but I can't really suss out more than that.

In the old days, comics were printed with four colors, one at a time. A separator was in charge of splitting up the artwork into those colors so the printer knew which areas were red, yellow, blue, or a combination of the three.

In a modern comic, you don't need to do any of that. I think in the modern context, it's the same thing as a flatterer, someone who preps the artwork digitally to make it easier for the colorist to select different objects or layers while they do their job.
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flatter

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Do bad guys count? Daken had one for a while.

Deadpool? He was part of X-Force.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Glad to see Brian Wood shuffle off, though, so there's that.

MagnesiumB posted:

No announcement yet for any new projects from Wood at Marvel, so maybe/hopefully they won't be hiring him on for anything else anytime soon.

Wait, there's Brian Wood backlash on SA? I thought I was the only one who didn't like his writing.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

I buy whatever the local shop has for bags and boards. Don't know what they're made of, but say Archival Safe. They made by Ultra-Pro and Silver Age sized so I can stick a few comics in together instead of one per bag. The boards are from Southern Hobby Supply. I spend $16/100 of each. I mainly just bag and board stuff as it's easier to handle, but haven't had any issues with either the last 7 or so years I've been collecting.

If you have a book you think is worth anything, check eBay. Books are worth only what someone will pay for it, so guides about what it's "supposed" to be worth are pretty useless.

Most people tend to go to ComicBookDB for book tracking/information. It's user created, so if something is missing, you can just add it yourself. You can output the data into a spreadsheet if you want to do spreadsheet stuff to it. The site hasn't been getting updated much (ie, new features, I think it could use a facelift, etc), but new comics are added regularly, the database is pretty solid, and the admin fixes problems when they crop up.

I don't think there's a lot of collecting/grading going on here. Good luck on getting help with that.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

To be fair, I am curious how insurance would cover my comics after a fire. I don't have anything rare, but there are a few things that would be hard to replace or some expensive hardcovers. My policy covers $xx,xxx in personal belongings (electronics, CDs, DVDs, books), but it'd be a bit hard to prove my loses with just a list of books.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

That's for a "collection" and not too applicable to a pile of Marvel comics from the last five years and a full set of Hellboy and Cerebus TPBs. It would be pointless to have an appraiser come out.

Though a rough calculation says it might be a few thousand dollars to replace and I should really make sure my policy is up to spec between comics, computers, and other crap I own (been a few years since I looked at it).

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

zoux posted:

p.s. do I have to buy comics through Comixology on their site and then it will DL through the app or what?

On iOS? Yes. Amazon just bought them and got rid of the in app store so Apple doesn't get a cut.

On Android, you can buy through the app. They changed the store to bypass Google Wallet, but we're able to stick their own store into the app.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Skwirl posted:

Batwoman was going to get gay married to a cop but DC nixed it and did it so abruptly the writer and artist quit, and it looked like DC was objecting to the gay thing at first.

Most annoyingly, they said they would finish the arc (2-3 more issues), but DC told them not to bother and put on a new team and started a new arc before it could be wrapped up.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

bobkatt013 posted:

Weren't they also building up Killer Croc in the book, and then told them they could not use him?

They wanted to use him in one of those "evil" books that month. There were other changes, too. The marriage thing was the last straw, and they were most annoyed by DC changing their minds last minute after approving the initial ideas.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Is there an Earth-001 in Marvel?

Why does Beast almost always turn evil and/or crazy in alternate realities?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Rhyno posted:

I don't think so. When was Marvel Universe the End published?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

I'm reading the new Nightcrawler series and am learning new things. Who decided it was a good idea for him to be "lovers" with his adoptive sister??? (!)

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Is it the guy writing the current series, explaining why it's not being aggressively ignored?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

AXE COP posted:

I dunno if this is the right thread for this but Comixology has become an incredibly lovely app since the last big update. Does anyone know of another comic store/reader for the iPad, preferably free or cheap?

Ask here:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3611527

Short answer: depends on what you are looking for.

(Even shorter answer: don't ask about :filez: )

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

zoux posted:

There's a Morrison run after that right? They all good?

I got/read the Planetary omnibus this week so it's got me wanting more Wildstorm.

Ellis' run is great, I give Millar a pass because of Frank Quietly art, nothing else is especially memorable. Read Ellis' stuff on Stormwatch beforehand if you want more Wildstorm, but it's not necessary to get Authority.

HitTheTargets posted:

That said I don't really remember it. Maybe I never read it? I know I read the Midnighter solo stuff and that was a little uneven in my eyes.

There's an arc built around him punching Hitler, then a bunch of one-shots by various creative teams (BKV's story told backwards in time is totally worth checking out), then a long and boring couple of arcs that I stopped reading where he tries to learn about his past.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

I forgot: read Sleeper!

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Reading my way through X-Statix and have a couple of geography questions.

One of the characters mentioned "51 states" in respect to America. It was really off hand and confused me.

Also, why do the characters keep saying "Europa". I'm assuming they were talking about Europe?

Couldn't really find anything via Google.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

notthegoatseguy posted:

I don't know about X-statik but Europa is one of Jupiter's moons. It is most notable for having an atmosphere of oxygen and is almost entirely covered in ice. The theory that that leads to is there is water under the ice and that it could be a place where life has been in the past or currently is. The non batshit crazy conspiracy theories are that the life found there, or evidence of past life, would likely be similar to life found in the deep ocean on Earth.

In this case, Europa sure looks a lot like generic "England" and is home to a pop celebrity. Though the moon explanation did pop into my head at one point.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

No, she knows they were a couple and that he's Spider-Man. Their relationship stayed the same minus them being married.

Everyone else remembers everything they've known about Peter and/or Spider-Man except for his secret identity.

Uthor fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Jun 26, 2014

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

In story their entire history was rewritten to them never having been married. If anyone knows, they'd have to be aware of outside the 616 universe. Maybe Deadpool?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

greatn posted:

So does Peter have any new girlfriends? He ever try getting back together with Betty Brandt?

He's dated a few people. Also, he's had someone pretending to be him make out with his roommate and had someone else take over his body and get engaged. Safe to say, he still has relationship issues, and this time with creepy overtones!

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

poo poo, that happens to me sometimes now. I turn the page of an X-Men comic and wonder what Iron Man is doing there. And why he's trying to sell me a car.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

http://youtu.be/4BuZamufWAs

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

I would bag and board, stick the stack into a grocery bag or wrap with newspaper (so it stays as a single bundle), maybe sandwich between two pieces of cardboard if you think it's necessary, and chuck it into a box. Just need to make sure the individual issues don't slide around and the corners don't get banged up.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

BadAstronaut posted:

There is no thing that can not start a fight on the Internet...

Shut up, you!

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Were there 2013 or 2014 editions of Hero Comics (for the Hero Initiative)?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Working my way through TMNT and I come across this scene:

That's Frank Miller, right? I don't recognize the other dude. He's calling "Corbin" on the next page. Is he anybody?