Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Goon
Sep 11, 2001

bobkatt013 posted:

This whole series is just a long con to reboot the Legion again.

I'm really getting sick of how DC seems to always be taking Superman off the table. He was near death during Trinity War, disappeared for Forever Evil and now it seems he's gone again for Future's End. That is, when he's not being mutated into Doomsday or whatever the gently caress is going on in his books.

I can't remember the last time outside of his own series where Superman took a leading role without being nerfed in some way. Even in that Heman crossover he gets killed and shunted to some other dimension.

They're really doing a horrible job of showing why he's the number one hero on the planet. Greg Pak is doing his best but I imagine he feels like a salmon swimming upstream in a river of poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Goon
Sep 11, 2001

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

That implication was there since 'The Killing Joke' isn't it? I don't remember nothing giving credence to that on DOTF.

EDIT:

http://www.newsarama.com/20891-meet-superdoom-the-monster-of-steel-in-july-s-action-comics-33.html

This can't be real. SUPERDOOM: THE MONSTER OF STEEL

I don't know if I should laugh or cry.

Argh.

So we have series where:

1) Superman goes evil, becomes a minion of Darkseid and destroys the world to be replaced (although it's cool DC is doing their version of Miles Morales from this)

2) Superman goes evil on his own and conquers the planet;

3) Superman turns into an evil spider robot thing and gets replaced by a masked version;

4) Superman is an arrogant rear end in a top hat (JL3000);

And now

5) Superman gets mutated into SuperDoomsday

This is all coming on the heels of Superman being MIA in Forever Evil for close to a year.

It's not a good time to be a Superman fan I guess :smith:

Edit - I'm reading Superboy. Wolfman's run was horrible but Kuder is off to a really promising start. I'd recommend picking it up.

The Goon fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Apr 24, 2014

The Goon
Sep 11, 2001

Rhyno posted:

Edit: Better source

Aaaagghh I hate JRjr's art so drat much. How have his pencils not evolved even the tiniest bit over the last twenty years? Gah.

The Goon
Sep 11, 2001

Superboy is being cancelled? Well I guess we know that Jon doesn't get healed up and probably dies now. Which isn't that bad since he's a murdering psychopath.

I'd normally be upset about the cancellation but they've run the character so thoroughly into the ground that I think it's basically impossible to recover at this point.

I.....I think I'm done with DC comics now. Finally.

The Goon
Sep 11, 2001

Unmature posted:

Wait, they need this after three years? I haven't been following New52, how colossally have they hosed this up already?

I think it's more of a situation where they hosed themselves up right out of the launch gate.

The Goon
Sep 11, 2001

Can someone explain to me exactly how Clark was able to neutralize the Doomsday virus? Was it just because there was no kryptonite in the air? If so, why didn't he do that in the first place?

The Goon
Sep 11, 2001

A new Superman costume? Oh god, please don't bring back the red underpants!

The Goon
Sep 11, 2001

I just read the Will Pfeifer interview on Newsarama about the Teen Titan, Power Girl and Superboy.

Glad to see Superboy hasn't been forgotten, hopefully he'll make the character engaging again although it sounds like his reappearance will be a polarizing clusterfuck.

Also the new Power Girl is super strong, super tough, super rich and the smartest girl in the entire room at any given time and not afraid to let it be known. Wow. Sounds like DC's version of Silk.

The Goon fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Jan 20, 2015

The Goon
Sep 11, 2001

lotus circle posted:

Comparing this new Power Girl to a character who literally has "spider pheromones" as a power is way too harsh.

I say give her a chance because it wouldn't exactly be good writing to make a brand new superhero be incompetent or have no point in being on the team. The interview makes it sound like she's going to be the brash new rookie who's book smart but not as street smart.

As for Superboy, if you're interested he's also showing up in Supergirl now too.

Oh, I didn't realize he had popped up there. I'll check it out. She just sounds like a perfect Mary-sue stereotype, but yeah I'll give it a shot.

The Goon
Sep 11, 2001

Nevermind

The Goon
Sep 11, 2001

I don't understand how anyone could like JRJR's art. If it weren't for the fact that I'm down to only collecting Action and Superman at this point from DC (which is a new low record for me) then I'd be dropping that book as well.

The Goon
Sep 11, 2001

Teenage Fansub posted:

Long cuffs.

I stamped out some stuff so excuse the garbled boot.

e: I wonder if he had panty lines to start with and they decided to rub them out at the last minute.
Maybe a shading resistant crotch is a feature.

Or maybe it's just JRJR's lovely art. Even CBR calls out the crap quality of the art in this issue in their review, which surprised me.

Art aside, I loved this book. Johns absolutely nails it and if I had my way I'd keep him and Pak writing Superman for years. Love that they kept the indestructible cape but gave him a regular costume again, and I have absolutely zero problems with his new superpower - it's a logical extension of his current powerset and it increases the versatility of the character while also opening up some potentially interesting story options. The fact that he loses his powers after a Flare makes me convinced he won't just become Goku-light. I can't wait to see how they handle it going forward.

I love that he's back at the Daily Planet, and I love that he revealed himself to Jimmy. Seriously, if it weren't for the art this book would probably be tied with Transformers MTMTE as my most anticipated every month. It's vexing. I loved John's previous Superman run as well, but Gary Frank's creepy Christopher Reeve-inspired Superman drove me up a wall every time I saw his face.

The Goon fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Feb 5, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Goon
Sep 11, 2001

Yvonmukluk posted:

Well, I'm actually getting a good feeling about this story.

Someone stop me before I start anticipating it!

I still have a ton of goodwill for Bedard thanks to his time writing Negation, and the fact that he outright prefers Kyle and Wally to Hal and Barry makes me want to support him even more. Will definitely buy this.

• Locked thread