Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

My problem with Gail's Batgirl was that it was still so Joker-centric, which fits the buildup to Death of the Family, but still, New 52 should have rebooted straight to the Babs Tarr version and skipped the decades-old continuity. I wonder if Gail's editors were pushing that angle harder than she liked, only because I like to believe she would have done better left to her own devices.

Side note: I hate when authors ego-search and act vindictive at the results they don't like. An author once tracked me down via Twitter to let me know he didn't like my GoodReads review, then accused me of vanity (the review was one plain sentence).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

This typo is from a recent edition of an older source: the JSA omnibus. Too bad typos live on past their original issues.

(Panel isn't New 52, but I saw it right after catching up on this thread and I wanted to play too.)

Space Fish fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Aug 23, 2014

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

BrianWilly posted:

Did anyone read the Sensation Comics thing with Wonder Woman? Anyone else think it was...kinda bad?

I thought the opening two-parter served as a fine introduction by way of Batman's rogues. Net those fanboys via a cast they like, then change it up.

This week's story has a big :3: moment that reminded me of The Simpsons.
"Aw man, you kissed a girl."
"That is so gay!"

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

mango sentinel posted:

I like the art, but I literally fell asleep while reading it and haven't bothered to try again. I'll probably pick it back up later today, but it did nothing to grab me.

Seconding this. I was hoping for a relapse of Ms. Marvel (which multiplied my hype from issue 1), but I guess I'll give Gotham Academy a couple more (gorgeous) issues to pick up the pace.

Kaleidoscope posted:

Yeah but who is still reading Future's End week to week?

Hey! I was along for the ride thanks to a local store marking the first dozen issues half off some time ago, then I fell off the bandwagon right around #17, then it seemed like the series was actually getting into gear so I subscribed again, and now the wheels are spinning again and I'm off the wagon. Some of the one-shots have been great standalone stories, but this series could've gone bi-weekly and still covered all the important plot points.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Between the new Batgirl, Grayson, Injustice, Godhead, Batman 66, Multiversity, Gotham Academy, Sensation Comics, Wonder Woman, and that giant Flash sale on Comixology... DC's got it going on, y'all.

Batgirl #35 hit all the right notes right out the gate in both art and writing, and I'm glad to see Gail Simone off the title if only to see the series go someplace NEW.

Grayson has been a delightful little pocket world of spy antics, plus the Futures End issue for it was one-shot perfection.

Injustice never fails to let loose with all the toys in the box, and Constantine/Detective Chimp need to just run the series.

Godhead is (finally!) exposing all the Lanterns as stunted children getting spanked by New Gods who talk in high n' mighty terms and I cannot get enough of it.

Batman 66 (Meets The Green Hornet) is the only Batman series I read weekly - the multiple other Batmans I leave to library trades.

Multiversity is one mind-boggling feast of fanservice after another - the good kind.

Gotham Academy needs more time to win me over, but the art is gorgeous and there's oodles of potential.

Sensation Comics is DC doing Wonder Woman right for a change, although her solo title has been absolutely killing it for three straight years.

Plus all these $1/issue classic Flash stories are making me a bigger Wally West fan than ever.

Okay, okay, I'll calm down now, just feeling happy about all these fun comics.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

And something that I guess many people here in the forums will apreciate, Wonder Woman '77 also coming to digital.

Including me & every last god-drat DC fan, if they know what's good for 'em!

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Codependent Poster posted:

Don't worry guys, Scott Lobdell is helping lay this out!

The Gentry strikes again!

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Detroit Justice League needs to be rebranded Elongated Man & The B-Listers.
Sue's an A-lister though, she only stops by for cameos from another book.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Teenage Fansub posted:

I like Tynion now. I think he's doing pretty good stuff in Eternal, the Batman backups and The Woods. I've never read an issue of Red Hood, though, so I don't know DT's pain.

Seconding this. I spent a year or so associating Tynion with crap based on several trades, then I read collected editions of The Woods and Eternal and have turned around on the guy.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

I should've known Godhead would end with a big reset to status quo, but I'm underwhelmed nonetheless. DC got a last laugh on me before shrinking its Green Lantern line next year. First half of Godhead was pretty fun, at least.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Thoughts on Godhead:

I've been following Green Lantern via the trade editions through my local library and they've been okay as sheer eye candy / Saturday morning cartoon fare, but with the marketing push behind Godhead and the premise of the New Gods coming in and exposing all the different Lanterns as spoiled children, I was hyped enough to dig in for all the issues as they came out.

The first several issues delivered what I wanted, with each New God's arrival via a dominant BOOM panel and subsequent defeat and de-ringing of the nearest lantern(s) feeling really satisfying. This was like the recent "Relic" arc but with more characters and personality (insofar as New God dramatics count as personality, which fits Green Lantern well enough). Godhead takes place over three "acts" of a half-dozen issues each, which would imply a classic story structure, but the second act is where the air started falling out of the story's sails. The different lanterns are still helpless against New Gods, but they kinda-sorta fight back a few times, whether it's with the Weaponer's tools (Stewart throwing a shield a la Captain America was a neat moment), team-ups of different glowing beams, or Sinestro activating the self-destruct in select rings within his corps.

Some of the details are already fuzzy because they felt more like shuffling pieces around than deliberate, purposeful storytelling choices. Guy and Simon are captured, then break out. Kyle and Carol fly together and have feelings for each other, then are captured and de-ringed, then get out, then lie low until they get rings back. Orion is a hotheaded brawler and nothing else. Hal has the most fully formed development in which he starts fighting the New Gods by simply leading the corps like a tactician, then Sinestro motivates him to act more like a wild card, so Hal leaves to recruit black lantern Black Hand, which leads to bringing all the life forms captured in the Source Wall back to life (a really enjoyable moment that's been teased for years, I could hardly believe it happened). Compared to past Hal moments of eating fear for breakfast, I liked seeing him try new angles. Being a leader of the Green Rings of Authority should mean having to be the one to reach out to odd/unexpected solutions, and I hope that keeps happening.

What does Highfather want with one of each ring, anyway? He wants to wield the Life Equation in order to remake the universe as He sees fit, with everyone serving as an effort toward the ever-looming encounter with Darkseid. Yawn: all the patronizing treatment from the New Gods, and it's about another military invasion? Darkseid is only a spoken-about threat, though, as Highfather keeps warning that he must do everything he can to prepare for war and everyone else is like "these earthlings have repelled Darkseid before, don't underestimate them." He gets his wish and assimilates some large groups of aliens into soldiers, then Kyle is told by the Guardians that he is the personal gateway for the Life Equation and can take it back from Highfather (and does). Upon seeing Kyle alive as a white lantern, Saint Walker's hope is restored and he accepts the blue ring again, which powers up Hal enough to prevent a catastrophe during the end fight and save everyone's lives. Highfather sees the error of his ways and vows not to become an equivalent to Darkseid. Walker's arc from lost to regained faith was a huge bright spot for me, I just feel like a lot of the journey getting there was inconsequential. At the end, the New Gods leave back to Genesis claiming an alliance, and there may be some seeds to grow later, like Sinestro's hard-on for access to new power, Larfleeze's ring being unresolved, and Kyle/Carol (Hal's cool with it for now). The Guardians warn that the Life Equation will spend Kyle's life, but of course don't say how or when or if that really matters compared to saving everyone's lives in the moment.

All in all, a fun event, but not nearly as grand, consequential, or powerfully resolved as I was hoping, especially given the tone of the opening issues. Walker and Mogo's rebirths were particularly uplifting, but the central conflicts lost their oomph well before the climax, especially with so many different arcs to cover. Maybe the stage is set for a better New Gods event? I'll find out through the library.

Credits: The art was pretty throughout - however, John Stewart as a Sapphire should have worn a kilt! Action was consistently easy to follow, and the splash pages were always worth pausing to pore over. Crossover issues with Soule (Red Lanterns), Jordan (New Guardians), and Bunn (Sinestro) were generally better than Venditti's. I actually wouldn't mind another big crossover among them, but they need to tweak the pacing some more.

3/5 stars, would open toybox again

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Apologies if this has been shared/dissected before, but this panel from Futures End #26 reads like an S.O.S. written by a hostage in a bank heist.

"I guess some of the New 52 titles have been cool, but this was a dumb way to reboot and it's attracted the wrong kind of attention and we're all really sorry. Please let us out."

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Every time I think I'm out, they pull me back in!

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

:sweatdrop: The Future's Ends are self-inflicted. Green Lantern: Mosaic was my holiday gift, though! It's good enough to make me a GL fan (who will find all other GL arcs disappointing by comparison).

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Madkal posted:

That is one sweet awesome holiday gift. Did you get all the floppies?

Yes! I have been parsing them out one issue per day, which is great because each one is a thoughtful, nuanced piece of storytelling and character building that I would hate to rush through. Even the letters sections are like sample chapters of a book about authorship and critical pieces by fans. I'm continuously amazed that this was published and for as long as it was. Every issue deserves an AV Club-style essay to pay homage; it's exactly the cure for the modern Johnsian Rainbow Bullies Brigade and I'm only halfway through!

(If the series is about to blow, let me march into that mirage on my own.)

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

DoctorDelaware posted:

Is that book collected anywhere? I got two random issues as a Christmas present when I was in junior high, and really enjoyed them. I'd love to read the whole arc.

That's the thing - my friend knew Mosaic would make a great gift in issues because it's not collected in a trade or digital release. There are four "Mosaic" GL's on Comixology, but based on the synopses, they seem to take place outside of the event itself. Hunt down the 18-part miniseries, it's worth the effort!

vvvWell dang, pick them up there if you wanna, gold is gold.vvv

Space Fish fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Jan 14, 2015

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Swillkitsch posted:

Instead we have spy Dick and Jason with friends. This would genuinely be a clever reversal if there was any hint that DC had done this intentionally, and with any real affection for Dick whatsoever.

"spy Dick" also referring to "story and art head & shoulders above most of the New 52," right? With affection expressed in the form of quality?

I've been reading RHATO via library trades, waiting for it to become "fun" like its fans say, but it hasn't happened yet. Not my cup of tea, probably.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Some fake solicits listed in Mosaic #15, in a "Deecee Universe" humor page from 1993. Is this portion reserved to editorial staff who need to blow off steam, or some intern from MAD who just takes potshots?

Gripeline: Don't Even Wait For It posted:

LOBO #Σ : Who cares what it is, you'd buy it anyway!
JUSTICE LEAGUE INTERNATIONAL TASK FORCE OF AMERICA #16: A lotta guys fight a lot more guys!
BATMAN #728: Who cares, you're gonna buy it anyway. Guest-starring Lobo!
XENODUDES #1: Hey, it starts with an "X", it has to be good. Doesn't it?
SUPERBMAN #75: Superbman dies again! Hey, we could use the money!
SUPERBMAN #76: What? You thought we'd leave him dead?
BATMAN vs LOBO #1: Like you're not gonna buy this one! Polybagged for your protection.
DEFECTIVE COMICS #1437: Oh yeah! Batman's in this one too!
Doogie HAWKMAN M.D. #2: Young Katar leaves the nest. Guest-starring Lobo for no apparent reason other than to increase sales!
DEATH OF SUPERBMAN Trade Paperback: Time to make fun of all your friends who paid full price the first time around!

Truncated to include only the most obnoxious references. Throw in something about weeklies and this could be present-day DC. Hey Hey Yeah Money!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

For all the problems in Futures End, at least they got Superman right - shirt, jeans, cape, and a five-year beard.

• Locked thread