Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.

"I have never read anything involving Wally West or Barry Allen but trust me when I say the relationship is going to be SUPER ORGANIC. It'll be so organic. Organic growth, guys." Everything in this interview makes me think it's gonna be a hot mess as two writers who know jack poo poo about the Flash take over.

I didn't really get the "he's gonna be black" thing unless Iris has a secretly black brother or sister or something, since he's still her nephew(though I suppose Daniel's sown oats could've been with a black woman, that'd be kind of contrived), but if he is it's gonna be pretty outstandingly stupid. Assuming he's anything like Wally West he'll be, for starters, an irresponsible black guy whose character traits are wisecracking and running fast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

I know is Bleeding Cool and all but first look Wally West

Or so they claim.

I know i'm kind of late to this but why are they changing the race/sexuality/whatever of all the non main characters.

They had to go so far as to put Cyborg in the JL just so it wasn't 6 white folks and an alien (whose alter ego is white), if the reboot let them pull the ol race swap then why not just make Aquaman or Barry Allen black? Or Wonder Woman actually look Mediterranean?

It's kind of a dumb thing to get mad about but it seems especially stupid of them to turn the wisecracking guy from a broken home whose superpower is running fast into the black stereotype grand slam.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

CharlestheHammer posted:

Because for all their posturing of the "all new 52!" they still are banking heavily on nostalgia and name recognition which second tier characters don't have.

Wally has/had more recognition then Barry for quite awhile. It's kind of why him disappearing was such an annoyance.

I guess maybe they're were hoping for the headline "Black guy becomes superhero who runs fast" to catch some eyes.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

Senor Candle posted:

Johns even has a fantastic run on the Flash using Wally!

To be fair, he basically just retreaded Waid's Return of Barry Allen by creating a villain whose sole purpose was to make sure Wally knew he was never as good as the one true bestest Flash ever Barry Allen.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

Space_Butler posted:

Wally West's first in-person appearance in the New 52 is wearing a hoodie, committing vandalism, and getting arrested.

DIVERSITY: DC STYLE!

And his only character trait thusfar is that he has no male role model and Iris wants white male cop Barry to show him what it's like to have a good role model because that's all black delinquents need. Oh, and he hates The Flash. You know, just like Wally West, guys!

Also Iris' hair and skin color are a lot darker than usual. I don't know if it's a just a lovely coloring job but if Iris also magically turned black over night that'd be a special kind of amazing. Maybe it's the hair throwing me off more than anything, but it certainly looks waaay off.

I'm really gonna miss Wally's red hair, though. It's not Superman iconic but Flash with red hair was always nice.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

Inkspot posted:

Flash's red hair came up in JL3000. It was cringe-worthy after all the weird changes they've made to Wally.

He stopped having red hair before Wally ever showed up. At most it was a slight homage.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

Just got done with the Flash annual, got a pretty good laugh at Barry saying, "I'm the reason Wally isn't 32 right now and married with two kids." Thanks for reminding me that they completely flushed everything even slightly important or critical to Wally's cahracter down the toilet, Venditti.

On the other hand super grim edgy garbage everywhere else and also the most ham handed way they could possibly introduce Barry to Wally. Just utterly horrible, Iris would've been less subtle if she'd said, "HERE, BARRY, I HAVE ACQUIRED YOUR KNEW RACIALLY DIVERSE SIDEKICK."

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

It feels like they're doing everything they possibly can to make the return of Wally the absolute worst it could be. Venditti writing, Brett Booth art, terrible costume design, terrible character, everything's just so bad from top to bottom.

Jesus why couldn't they have just let Manapul and Booch bring back Wally? Atleast they actually knew anything about the character, unlike Venditti. Venditti also thinks it's apt to make black kids assault police officers, idolize career criminals (who becomes a serial killer), and tag buildings with spray paint. What in the world is going on?

Two Tone Shoes fucked around with this message at 23:35 on May 23, 2014

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

DynamicSloth posted:

No they take the properties that aren't working or have never worked (looking at you Aqualad) and try it there, it's just an unfortunate coincide that under the John's regime a great number of minor property characters are required to be murdered every year in order to establish gravitas.

Wally West was a property that worked really really well for a really long time until DC intentionally hosed with the entire Flash series by, you know, getting rid of whoever is The Flash every year and churning out garbage stories.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

Kaleidoscope posted:

They can't take Flash away from Booth, Venditti and Van Jensen fast enough.

Watching Iris pathetically try to force Barry into raising Wally because he needs a "good male role model," has depressed me more than I thought a comic could.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

New 52 Hal Jordan meets Pre 52 Hal Jordan and the latter wonders how the hell New52 Jordan did all their crazy bullshit in 5 years.

I mean Coast City what the hell?

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

Sithsaber posted:

Is the new Capt Marvel/Shazam! still a punk teenager? I never bought his comics (pre or post 52) but I love it whenever he shows up in events or the cartoons. I'm pretty psyched that he's getting a movie, and I'm even more psyched that my theory that he will be threshhold guardian pitted against rampaging Sandman protagonists may end up being a thing.

He is DC's new version of every teenager: A street punk kid with a huge attitude, but a heart of gold.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

Hey man they turned Wally West black. That's kind of like adding diversity to your superhero roster.

Aside from him being a bit part in a horrible story based around Barry Allen instead of being relevant anymore.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

Aw man, it even has the little Kwyzz/Radioland in the bottom right, a world that only exists because Wally West had an imaginary friend in the silver age. Morrison's the best at remembering all sorts of weird crap and including it in his crazy stories.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

Rhyno posted:

Did you ever read his Flash run? Three issues based on that old story!

I know, Human Race, I just didn't think it'd merit it's own little spot on the multiverse -- figured it was just one part of the Prime Earth or whatever.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

Teenage Fansub posted:

New Gods designs by Pete Wood.

I've got to be sold a bit on Metron there, but over all, pretty good!

Oh hey, it's blue Ultron!

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

horsepeen posted:

Yeah I remember noticing this. Was the Bleed always used interchangeably between Marvel and DC? I thought it was usually just a DC thing.

Wasn't it made by Warren Ellis? If so it kind of makes sense that he might've brought it over to both companies after his Wildstorm/DC days lead into his X-men/Marvel days. It'd hardly be the first time the two companies shared a similar concept in their comic universes.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

I just found out about the convergence stuff and came to this thread to check it out, sorry if this is all 2 weeks ago chit chat.

No one likes the character because there isn't much to like. The only things he has done so far is A: Die, twice. B: Be a little rear end in a top hat who does petty crimes because he hates The Flash and C: have a future version of himself who was a hero(I think? It was such a tossed together mess that you can't really make anything out of the character aside from he wanted to save Barry from Barry) who died while cracking jokes at Future Barry.

Obviously, he's not even remotely similar to Pre-52 Wally. I can't really name a single similarity aside from the basics like name and sex. He's not close with Iris in the slightest, his parents abandoned him or died (I really hate this, I dislike the presumptive two heroes in the Flash series now having dead parents when they didn't before. Flash was always a lot more upbeat), and the whole petty criminal bit, obviously. It'd obviously be unfair to compare him to adult Wally as he's not an adult, but he has none of the stuff Post-Crisis Kid Wally had (As shown in flashbacks like Born to Run) so he's basically just a completely dissimilar character.

That's not inherently bad, I suppose (but why bring back the name if it's just a new character? You clearly want to evoke some kind of memory of the character), but the new character we got is basically just some really inane plot point for why future Barry finally went full crazy. It's a really poorly done character tossed into a really mishandled and messy Flash story. Also the situation of Amazing White Cop Role Model Saves Troubled Black Criminal Youth thing is kind of uncomfortable and really, really forced. I have no clue why Iris is trying to get Barry to raise her nephew for her, also. I didn't get your vibe of her using him to get Barry's affection because she became entirely irrelevant aside from just being a shipment device of Wally to Barry. Which super bothers me because Iris and Wally are supposed to be close long before he ever meets Barry. Completely gutting that relationship from the get go with the "He needs a MALE role model! I'm not male, I can't raise him right!" schtick legitimately bothers me for multiple reasons.

Maybe I fit into Brett Booth's "purist" camp but I really tried to give it a shot. Even if I ignore everything that the name Wally West makes me remember, the character is still an uncomfortable, forced mess.

edit: Also, "Biracial fans are now happy." I don't think all Biracial fans fit into the half black/half white category so I'm kind of skeptical about that one. Would a hispanic/japanese person feel suddenly represented? If so then more power to you, Brett, but that seems like a weird statement to make.

quote:

Yeah, this is what it bugs me the most. Is fine if they change characterizations with characters previously absent on the N52 but doing it to characters that we've seen for two years is incredibly stupid.

And let's not forget how Venditti pulled another West out of the thin air (one that we haven't even seen on panel) just to tie Walter to Iris. They should've gone with a full new character instead of that poorly thought mess.

Rudolph West isn't out of thin air. He's a character who existed pre-52 and pre-crisis to fill in the role of "Wally's dad." He just didn't exist in ManaBooch's run because they were literally told that Wally wasn't allowed so he had no place (Rudolph is obviously incredibly irrelevant without Wally). Manabooch never knew whether or not Wally would ever be reintroduced so it's not like they're gonna shoe horn in Rudolph into Iris and Daniel's history when they were specifically told not to even give people a hint that Wally West might exist. Rudolph showing up obviously would've done that.

Two Tone Shoes fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Nov 21, 2014

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

That is the key, no matter if he existed before. He came out of thin air on the N52 and while is factible all of that was thanks to editorial interference it doesn't excuse the fact that he suddenly changes all the dynamic established on the book for two years without a clear logic. Hell, we haven't even seen him!

It would be a different case if they would spend at least an issue introducing him and maybe handwaving his sudden appearance.

Intereview with Venditti and Jensen about GL

http://www.newsarama.com/22801-green-lantern-writers-talk-godhead-say-things-will-be-different-post-convergence.html

Aside of saying that they aren't going anywhere anytime soon (:suicide:), the bit about the book status after Convergence is an interesting tidbit.

How else do you expect them to introduce Iris West's nephew? Unless he was like 5 years old he couldn't be Daniel West's kid. You literally could not reintroduce Wally West without establishing another sibling for Iris or through some wacky time travel crap which would've been Bart Allen more than Wally.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

Codependent Poster posted:

Don't forget Wally West fans too.

Hey now, DC totally already brought back Wally and Steph in interesting and satisfying ways.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

Brocktoon posted:

As someone who's mainly a Marvel reader, but still casually reading the occasional DC, I think the thing that really turns me off is that they seem so intent with constantly retiring and replacing their flagship characters, while simultaneously never getting rid of them and relying on decades of backstory to explain it. As someone who's never read Green Lantern, I have no idea why the gently caress there's 5 loving Green Lanterns from Earth running around when one of the basic tenants of the character's setup is "one person is chosen from each sector" and thw Wikipedia entry doesn't really explain much other than "then this guy got a ring" which makes me think it wasn't explained much better in the comic. They killed Superman, replaced him with FOUR Supermen, then brought him back and kept all 5 of them around! And isn't there, like, 3 people calling themselves The Flash, not including "Kid Flashes" and "Reverse-Flash" or whatever?

I mean, sure, Bucky was Captain America for a while, and Falcon goes by that name now, but when Steve Rogers returns, all three of them aren't going to run around using the name Captain America simultaneously.

There's pretty much only ever been one Flash around since most people just call Jay Garrick Jay Garrick. Barry was the Flash for about 30 years, then Wally was the only Flash for about 20. He went away and Bart was the only Flash for a year before he died and Wally came back, resuming as the only Flash. Then Barry came back and, ostensibly, there were 2 Flashes with him and Wally but Wally was intentionally written out of relevance in all stories after Barry came back. Now the reboot happened and Barry is the only Flash again (well, Jay is The Flash in his universe but it's another universe, that'd be like getting pissy about people sharing identities in the Ultimate Marvel universe). There is an extended list of people with similar powers but they've all got different names, and most of them are dead now because reboot.

There's kind of a kid Flash but not really because we all just like to pretend Bar Torr never happened because jesus christ what were you thinking Lobdell.

But yeah, sure, Reverse Flashes and tons of Lanterns. There's even more Hulks running around, all the time, and let's not get started on the freaking X-men. And also a million billion Spider-man and Spider-man lites. Marvel's just as bad about it. I'd happily agree that too much of DC's street level heroes are immutably attached to Batman, even if they're not all called Batman.

Two Tone Shoes fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Jan 5, 2015

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

Teenage Fansub posted:

Here's the info page that was running in last week's books.

I'd be fine with this look if the jacket were the one shoulder cape. That was always my favorite part of Power Girl's design.

edit: also the amalgam boots/shoes gloves/sleeves things look kind of stupid as hell on a second look.

Two Tone Shoes fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Jan 19, 2015

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

Jiro posted:

This was a nice article, and I'm looking forward to picking up a Flash Wally story since forever. Shame it has to be during Convergence.

When else were they going to tell a story about Wally West?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

Yvonmukluk posted:

Can we have a series called Wally West fixes comics where he goes all round the multiverse and undoes moronic reboots and retcons?

That would require that DC actually cared about Wally or their terribly built chronology.

• Locked thread