Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

Waterhaul posted:

Well from looking other things up I guess the thing that people are supposed to go crazy over is the fact that Dick has a bomb strapped to him which is syched to his heartbeat. To stop it from going off Lex suffocates him "killing" him and stopping his heart, Batman goes crazy but Lex is all "I can fix it" and before they get to the Shazam stuff happens.

Oh, well I can see how anybody who's lived under a rock for their entire life and never spoken to another human being could find that resolution to that scenario shocking and not boringly overplayed tripe.

Stopping the heart and starting it again happens enough to qualify as "that old chestnut."

SirDan3k fucked around with this message at 10:31 on Mar 5, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

HitTheTargets posted:

Ah, comicbooks. Where if you go deaf once and get cured, you'll probably go deaf again.

Man what if the answer to "Why don't they fix _____'s problem with Comic Book Science?" is that they do but robot legs and stuff keep like falling off? :tinfoil:

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trast posted:

I haven't read this so forgive me if I mess something up. But when you say you can see the reasons for her death do you mean they make sense story wise? Because I thought fridging someone was specifically killing a female character specifically to get a rise or motivate a male character and nothing else.

Fridging has become all encompassing, all female character deaths or injuries are now fridging.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

I know is Bleeding Cool and all but first look Wally West

Or so they claim.

Looks like DC already killed him, that's a fast turnaround.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

And an interview with Venditti and Van Jensen about it

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=52060

They don't say anything of note but I can't shake the feeling than bringing in a new character to be Barry's protegé it would've been the same than this new take on Wally.

New characters lack the necessary brand recognition to synergise with the current DC headspace better to maximize relateability vis a vi appropriating an existing dynamic to allow for better market penetration.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

The current scuttlebutt I'm hearing is they basically told Rucka "Whatever you want to do we'll make it happen." and that's why young Cyclops is leaving so suddenly and dropping several subplots like the x-23 romance.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Eh, while generic, is a decent cover.

Meanwhile, I'm losing my poo poo at Waller's hip here :lol:

Canary just kicked her so hard it dislocated is all.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

The Action Man posted:

You're kidding me.

DC Comics: Still surprising our readers*!

*with racism.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Waterhaul posted:

All the New 52 needs is new management.

Just take the Marvel Now approach and stop hiring idiots like Lobdell and get rid of your overbearing editors.

Management will burn DC to the ground first, your division failing do to lack of product demand is easier to spin then getting fired. "Comics are a failing relic and I was the only reason DC stayed open as long as it did."

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

...So?

Series come and go, that's how the medium works.

I'd take it as more of a warning, when they hit 52 cancellations the gag is gonna be loving everywhere.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Also first look at N52 Wally as Kid Flash

It looks like the artist just read "black guy" and assumed he was another robot.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trast posted:

Why the hell would they turn Batwoman into a vampire?

I'll let this guy answer that.

Trast posted:

That sounds dumb as gently caress.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Senor Candle posted:

It could be 100x better than anything countdown related and still be hot garbage.

Well yeah, 0 x 100 = 0

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

This showed up on my FB feed:

:lol: if its an actual ad.

I think I just cut myself on the edge.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

All it's really missing is the writer or artist tweeting about how old Nightwing was "faggy" to create perfection.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Not a big fan of Deathstroke outside of Arrow's.

Which is probably what this series is basically going to be.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Can't wait for the "Superman is going to make you his Bitch" ad.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Teenage Fansub posted:

They're just boring ads :shrug:

Boring ads from two decades ago drug from their time and transplanted into ours.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

redbackground posted:

Especially since Lobo Prime fits the current DC aesthetic so much more than he ever used to.

Lobo Prime is a parody of all the Nu52 stands for and that can't go unpunished.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Guys it's going to be a month of alt-covers with people only wearing strategically placed band aids.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trast posted:

Did they finally let go of some of the guys stuck in the '90s?

No they just hide the ones that aren't in a little corner of digital first and pretend it doesn't exist.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

How are they playing it? Like was Zauriel always a lady or did Zauriel turn into a lady because they want to go to the Phantom Bonezone?

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Oh course it wasn't played super dark cannibalism barely rates as dark for DC now. Especially if she wasn't skeletonizing people alive in front of their loved ones.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

My life is such and empty lie without Forerunner-chan.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

redbackground posted:

I can't think of anyone who can just make that happen when they want. I'm sure heavy magic users could probably do it if they really needed to, but more than likely at great personal cost. Marvel has/had Elixir, but I don't know if his powers went quite that far.

Elixir's power has to be consciously used and they explained that he'd pass out or die from exhaustion before he could bring anybody back from dead dead.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Why are people bothering to spoil that? The baby being Zeus was called like the first issue Zola showed up in.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Waterhaul posted:

"The masses" don't read big two comic books regardless of what they are about.

And that's how most of the fans that are now the writers like it. Insular and totally not dying you guys.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Wally West beats Wally West to death with his bare hands to cement his turn to the darkside of scary black man that runs fast.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

ImpAtom posted:

It's also an insanely tired chestnut to bring up with regards to the Big Two superhero comics. If continuity is unimportant than why are they so focused on it? "The old stories still exist" doesn't really play well in conjunction with the constant near-religious fixation on continuity the Big Two have.

That's not a big two problem that's a DC problem. Marvel plays faster and looser then a hippy commune dossed with ecstasy with continuity to the shagrin of anal retentive nerds everywhere.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Joker is the worst offender because he doesn't come off as crazy anymore. Writers are too busy trying to top the last appearance's body count to characterize him. He's a blank murder machine relying on nostalgia to know anything about him.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Alhazred posted:

He probably didn't:

That in no way implies Cap didn't kill people only that Cap didn't sneak around slitting throats.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

MonsieurChoc posted:

It would be cool if the Joker reverted to his campy 60s self, because the fun has gone out of being a murderer. Gotta keep the jokes fresh.

I say you could have a tense as hell Joker story where he's reverted to a "Stealing kids report cards" Joker because everyone knows the monster is still in there and any of the thousand pies he's throwing could be filled with cyanide or the next bag of itching powder could melt your skin off.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Codependent Poster posted:

Give me more of this Joker. Or the animated series one. Nowadays he would have just murdered that kid, which is less funny.

Nah, the kid would run into his house trying to explain what happened only to find his entire family dead on the couch thier faces frozen in a rictus grin from Joker Gas.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

I know you're not, I am though. Seriously this whole argument is stupid on both sides and basically pointless because comics are a juvenile medium where very little of worth is actually made so you should not treat any of that poo poo seriously at all. "Why doesn't Batman kill Joker?" is easily answered by "Because it's a comic book written by middle aged manchildren fanboys."

That's like the opposite reason he's not killed because middle aged manchildren fanboys think injecting death into comics will elevate comics to serious media. See also the "Rape is a serious crime so if we have rape they have to take us seriously" wave after identity crisis.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

People still like the old universe? Well lets bring it into play and poo poo in it's heart so godamned hard the fuckers won't ever want us to touch it again. -Dan Dididothat

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

ImpAtom posted:

Amanda Waller was a good character because she was thrown into the nastiest, most difficult, most morally challenging role in the world and she proved herself an equal to it without losing herself. She is, quite literally, a wall.

And then Suicide Squad ended and she became generic shady government puppetmaster #5.

The Amanda Waller people like was gone long before they made her skinny.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

ImpAtom posted:

Eh. She got written that way but she still had good stories, and even then, the argument of "she was written badly once so make her a supermodel without the elements people liked of the original version" is really lovely.

Once? Try consistently written out of character for more then a decade. There's a point where that generic shady government gently caress up becomes her character not the nostalgic recollection of when she was written well.

Why people actually want a character they enjoy brought into Nu52 boggles my mind anyway. Pour one out for Jaime.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

ImpAtom posted:

It's pretty silly to argue that she was changed because she was 'badly written' and not, y'know, because DC couldn't imagine casting a supermodel-pretty woman in the role.

It's a good thing I'm not arguing that then. The Waller you liked was still long gone from the comics before they decided to supermodel her up and any delusions otherwise is just nostalgia editing reality.

Never construe anything I say into a supporting position on a Nu52 change, they were all haphazard crap.

SirDan3k fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Dec 12, 2014

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

lotus circle posted:

That's not the reason she can stand toe to toe with him at all but alright.

A decade's worth of writers butt hurt about Batman getting shown up didn't get that either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Endless Mike posted:

Man, you got a bad BSSSS Santa.

Maybe he's just a tough love Santa. You're gonna smoke read an entire carton shity event.

• Locked thread