Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Looks like DC has thought better of trying to squash 60+ issues into the second JSA omnibus.

They're now extending it into Johns's One Year Later run, which I've never read (I've heard that some really stupid stuff happened with the Marvel family characters, though); this collection will include the first 28 issues of it. How many did he write? Should we be expecting a (quite unprecedented) fourth Justice Society omnibus?

EDIT: I've also found this article announcing that the George Pérez Wonder Woman omnibus (hopefully the first of many) is on the horizon as well.

Fingers crossed for Mark Waid Flash in the near future.

Wheat Loaf fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Oct 31, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

HitTheTargets posted:

Pretty sure Johns just did those first 28 or so.

Right. I know he did maybe a year or two then Willingham took over for a while, then Guggenheim did it till it ended, so that sounds about right.

quote:

The major thing he did in OYL was bring in Magog from Kingdom Come, plus a LoSH crossover. I don't remember specifically what he did with the Marvels, just that a buncha different writers tried different approaches and nothing ever came together. It came to head with the kids being depowered and sidelined until Flashpoint/New 52.

I think around that time, Dan Didio was saying the Fawcett characters no longer fit in with the DC universe; probably correct, but maybe not in the way he meant, since Black Adam stuck around pulling peoples' arms off after Billy and Mary were put on the backburner.

Regarding something else I mentioned in that last post, I've been thinking that if they're doing a WW by Pérez omnibus, fingers crossed they don't completely arse it up like they did with the New Teen Titans collections (where the skipped over about 60 issues in the third one to make it a George Pérez artist showcase rather than collecting them consecutively).

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

redbackground posted:

The Perez WW omnibus is just going to be the 4 existent Perez trades under one cover (up to WW #24). Perez didn't do any of the art on the main title for the rest of his tenure, but he did pencil the War of the Gods 4-part miniseries.

Yeah, but he wrote it for about 40 issues after he stopped pencilling it until (I think) Messner-Loebs took over. I'd hope they would mean to continue past the stuff he only drew.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

TwoPair posted:

I suppose that means it's 52 done even more right!

Did anyone ever bring that quote up with Dan Didio after Countdown turned out to be less "52 done right" and more "Countdown"?

Speaking of which, I read this oral history of Countdown from a couple of years ago the other day. Pretty interesting.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Wendell posted:

poo poo sucks.

I saw a review of this on CBR and decided to check out the comments on their message board, which I hadn't visited since it was wiped and rebooted. Anyway, I didn't stick around long, but my impression is that their DC subforum still seems like a pretty intense place.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I didn't have that much of a problem with Superman killing Zod in MoS, but I think it would've been more impactful if he'd arrested Zod, then in the sequel he'd broken out and Superman decided he made a mistake letting him live last time which he doesn't intend to repeat. I think that might have introduced more possibilities, but then again, I suppose it would be best to wait and see what direction they take it in BvS. They didn't really seem to have time to explore the full implications of it in MoS, I think.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Baron Bifford posted:

Now that would have been darker and out of character.

All part of a plan masterminded by Luthor to discredit Superman!

Nessus posted:

Where does he imprison Zod, exactly? Like, how does that even work? There wasn't kryptonite in the film I don't think, they'd blown their one phantom zone bomb... I mean I agree with you that these are all narrative contrivances, but "putting General Zod, a Kryptonian with powers comparable to Superman, in prison" is tricky if it's a year-one kind of story.

Well, if I'd written the MoS screenplay, there would've been a scene establishing that the US government has a prison that can hold Superman (built by LexCorp, using either red sunlight or kryptonite to handle his superpowers), and he would've put Zod in that.

</fanfiction>

Or alternatively:

Baron Bifford posted:

If the screenwriters wanted to put Zod in prison to save him for a sequel, they would have given Superman two Phantom Zone bombs.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

delfin posted:

He even agonized over snuffing a Nazi vampire. A NAZI VAMPIRE!

I think this last one was written by Roger Stern. :eng101:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I didn't have much of a problem with Black Hand until I learned a bit about his conception and creation, and his history prior to Blackest Night.

As far as I can tell:

1) His gimmick was that he wrote everything down in a notebook;

2) His name (William Hand) and said gimmick are based on Green Lantern creator Bill Finger, who was in the habit of writing everything down in a notebook;

3) Decades pass.

4) I think his new gimmick is necrophilia?

It's not one of the best reinventions of a Silver Age villain. I think reinventing the Calculator as the supervillain equivalent to Oracle was fine (even if it did happen in Identity Crisis) whereas he'd previously been a guy who wore a keypad on his chest that inoculated him against superpowers. Black Hand comes off as trying too hard, I guess. Sort of like Dr Light, I suppose. You can reimagine a silly villain to make them more menacing, but you can go too far with it, and it becomes really on-the-nose that that's what you're trying to do. That's my impression, anyway. :shrug:

Anyway, more generally, I think I sort of liked Blackest Night. Not as much as the Sinestro Corps War, but I felt there was a lot less pretension in that story. I think I might have enjoyed the former more if it had embraced (as some of the tie-ins did) the patent ridiculousness of its status as a superhero zombie story, but it came off as if Johns thought he was making a big, important and Very SeriousTM statement which ruminates on the transient nature of death in superhero comic books, and it didn't really work for me.

I liked the art a lot. Ivan Reis pencilled the main series and I like Ivan Reis.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
That's it; TV Tropes. That's where I saw it. That's where I remember people talking up Blackest Night as this deep, intellectual discussion of the nature of death in comics.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Space Fish posted:

"I guess some of the New 52 titles have been cool, but this was a dumb way to reboot and it's attracted the wrong kind of attention and we're all really sorry. Please let us out."

I remember when the first issue of Future's End came out, Mark Waid commented on Twitter that it was "the New 52-iest comic of the New 52" and someone at DC (I think it might have been Dan Jurgens) took it as an insult. Obviously, Waid meant it to be an implicitly pejorative remark in the first place, but the fact that it was interpreted and acknowledged as an insult rather than, "Yes, that's what we were aiming for; it says "New 52" on the cover," struck me as a curious reaction at the time.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Rhyno posted:

With how Mark Waid's attitude towards DC (and WB overall) has been the last few years I'm pretty sure he meant that remark as an insult and didn't stop to think about his friends and colleagues that were working on the book.

Yeah, I realise he meant it as an insult, but I wonder whether it's telling that people at DC interpreted it so readily as an insult. On its face, it's saying, "This, to my view, is the apotheosis of everything the New 52 is about," and when so much effort has been put into the New 52 brand at DC, someone at DC going to the conclusion that it's derogatory is very odd, if you see my meaning.

Perhaps if it hadn't been Mark Waid, the reaction would have been different. :shrug:

bobkatt013 posted:

When that recon first happened and the internet existed I am sure the exact same reaction would occur for making them Magneto's kids.

I actually remember Brian Cronin did a Comic Book Legends Revealed columns on this exact topic a few years ago, and there was more than one person in the comments complaining quite bitterly about how much they disliked the retcon and they'd been pretending that Wanda and Pietro's parents really were and always had been the Whizzer and Miss America.

Yvonmukluk posted:

What!? This was a thing that might have happened? Stop making me want things I can't have!

I think what happened is that DiDio offered him the position (I'm going to say in 2010 or so), and Waid was up for it, but internal politics at WB/DC conspired against him and Bob Harras got the job instead. I believe that's only Waid's side of the story, though.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Brocktoon posted:

Just finished reading Knightfall, and during Prodigal while Dick was Batman, there were references to him having a falling out with the Teen Titans and broke up with Starfire. Out of curiosity, what's the story there?

I think it might have been in reference to the story in the Titans book where he and Starfire get all the way to the altar on their wedding day, but before they can exchange vows, Raven shows up possessed by Trigon and kills the priest, and Dick calls the whole thing off (though I may well have my chronology mixed up there).

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
It's not for nothing that the unimaginative describe Wolfman as the Claremont of DC.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Swillkitsch posted:

With any regard to his history and place in the pre-reboot DC universe. It's a good book and I love it, so calm your tits, but what Dan Didio doesn't give a poo poo about is the fact Dick Grayson is a big part of the old DC. The fact that he's a beloved and respected superhero is a big deal; there's a line that stuck with me (again, as a Robin fan) where someone says that aside from Superman, Dick is the most trusted person in the cape community.

DiDio wanted to kill him off in Infinite Crisis; Johns had to talk him out of it, and actually volunteered Superboy (who'd become something of a pet character for him during his Teen Titans run) as an alternative victim.

I don't know why DiDio dislikes him. If I was a conspiracy theorist, I'd hazard a guess that it's because unlike Kyle Rayner and Wally West, he can't really "demote" Dick back to being Robin full-time.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
My sole exposure to Mortal Kombat remains the 1990s cartoon, where Jax gets upset over being called "blubber butt" because he used to be the fattest kid in school, and Sub-Zero got these cracker one-liners like, "Nothing burns hotter than ice."

I'm afraid Tekken was my childhood fighting game series of choice.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I think John Romita, Jr. is one of the two artists (the other is Alan Davis) I can remember really jumping out at me when I started reading comics. It was on his third (?) run on Spider-Man with Howard Mackie; by no means a good arc but I thought the art held it up a lot. I really liked the way he drew the Venom symbiote when it was separated from Eddie Brock.

At the same time, I see why people wouldn't like him. There's certainly been a few times his art has fallen flat for me, but I think when he's good, he's very good.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Forever Evil is the one where the Crime Syndicate invades from Earth-3, right? I have a hard time keeping track of them. That's not the point, though. The point of the post is that I remember this guy getting all bent out of shape on the CBR forum when people wouldn't agree with his argument that it's better than Earth 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Lightning Lord posted:

His art's stiff, it has no dynamism, his storytelling is garbage, he is kind of a homophobic jerk, etc.

I hadn't heard about the last part. :(

That Starfire costume is almost outfit from the old cartoon, right?

• Locked thread