Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Dario the Wop posted:

Anyone following Forever Evil? I am reading Johns' mini and JL, and he is hellbent on inserting as much of the old DCU into the crossover as possible. He retconned Luthor back to Smallville (complete with the old Lena backstory), plus Bizarro (with an unnamed Legion of Doom), the Metal Men, Plastic Man, and probably some other stuff I've forgotten.

(Wrestling nerd alert: Iron mentions "WCW is on in five." Oh, the implications...)

The problem with Johns is than he's getting more and more like an OCD kid with each new arc on the N52, he keeps adding this neat concepts and ideas than go nowhere on the long run or he retcons later.

Is becoming really irritating now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Teenage Fansub posted:

That's in Matt Kindt's JLA.

Why would the Plastic Man origin not be understandable? Gangster named Eel gets toxic waste tipped on him and goes gooey.
It's not crazy brilliant, but you could start a Plastic Man book off that.

Anti-Monitor?

I didn't realized than that was supposed to be Plas until I read the piece on him run by BC, so it really can get confusing sometimes.

So I readed the Lois one shot and Lucy is lesbian/bisexual now or am I reading way too much into things?

Edit: And Jonah got his face fixed now, wonder where are they going with that.

Dark_Tzitzimine fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Feb 26, 2014

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

RevKrule posted:

Good news bad news!
Good news: David Finch will only be drawing the new Wonder Woman. Rubble fans rejoice!
Bad news: His wife will be writing it.
http://www.bleedingcool.com/2014/02/27/so-who-is-the-woman-writing-david-finchs-wonder-woman/

Please note, the only other writing credit she has is for Zenescope's Tales of Oz.

So DC just doesn't care about WW right?

I don't know what to think about this :psyduck:

(Aside than nepotism's running rampant on DC of course)

In other news, I just made a Red Hood thread

Come to tell me how much it sucks! :v:

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Five year jump on every title this september

And the return of the lenticular covers, welp :v:

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Senor Candle posted:

All this is doing is reminding me that DC can never do another 52 again. At least as long as Didio is in charge.

They're trying their hardest for strucking gold like that again: Eternal, Future's End and now an as yet-untitled weekly series on october

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
The Master of the Universe crossover is strangely entertaining, but is kind of weird to see cameos and name drops for the old DCU when supposedly is the N52 DCU (The secret six were name dropped and snyder's joker makes an appearance)

The story of Orko's current status was kind of neat at least.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
The thing with N52 Shazam is while 'Curse of Shazam' was really good and a neat take on the character, his few appearances on the JL are lacking that 'magic' than made it so great before.

It actually feels like 'Curse of Shazam' was an elseworld or something because it just doesn't mesh with the rest of the N52 (the whole bullshit with Black Adam and the Seven Sins are the most glaring example of that)

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Goddamn, what a gorgeous cover :flashfap:

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Codependent Poster posted:

There's no sense of action. Everyone looks posed and Superman and Cyborg's faces look terrible.

I like Jae Lee and all but this isn't a very good example of his work. It's boring.

Eh, I've always found Jae's work way too 'artsy' for my tastes but I liked this cover by the colors, th detail on Damian and Kon's corpses and Jason; it mainy Jason truth be told :v:

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

McSpanky posted:

bring back Damian

Why people keeps changing his name?

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
There are spoilers for FE6 floating on the net that if they're true, then the whole thing is really contrived and stupid :cripes:

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
gently caress Forever Evil and Johns' bullshit, the Batman Superman Annual is where is at, seriously it was fantastic and the constant delays paided off, the art is amazing. Also, it have motherfucking Krypto and Bruce and Jason teaming up with Mongul's son, what else do you want?

:flashfap:

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Chaltab posted:

Holy poo poo is Krypto a wolf now or something? Does the annual require familiarity with the series up to this point?

Not really, you just need to know than Mongul tried to conquer the earth and got the poo poo beaten out of him by Batman and Superman, everything else is explained on the story.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Another strong rumor than I keep hearing is Lobdell return to RHATO.
I'm having mixed feelings about that.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Mr. Maltose posted:

Why? Not ragging on you here, I'd have thought Lobdell getting back on the Red Hood horse would be right up your alley.

I love the guy's work but I love more to see another writer taking a crack at the characters. Maybe I'm wrong but it kind of feel like Lobdell already said anything he had to say about the characters, I don't want for Jason to end like Jean Paul and become stagnant under a sole writer.
In any case it depends on Pfeiffer's skill, if his arc shows to be good I'll be bummed to have Lobdell back on the book, if it turns to be poo poo (unlikely but it could happen) Lobdell will be a godsend.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Teenage Fansub posted:

And if Bleeding Cool's hot insider scoops are to be believed, the Didio/Giffen joint is The Forever People. http://www.bleedingcool.com/2014/03/11/dan-didio-and-keith-giffen-bring-us-the-forever-people/

Who? :psyduck:

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Superman/Wonder Woman was pretty good and made clear than the annual happened before the start of the series, JLA on the other hand was trash and actually made me feel angry towards FE since is pure padding all the time.

Assholes :argh:

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
http://www.comicvine.com/articles/exclusive-dc-reveals-heroes-spotlighted-in-secret-orgins-3/1100-148306/

Issue 3 of Secret Origin will cover: Hal (written by Venditti :sigh:), Batwoman (by Mcarthy and Haun) and Tim (by Lobdell :v:)

Bermejo's killing it with the covers :flashfap:

But I was expecting for Wonder Woman to get the spotlight to round up the trinity, odd choice (not than I'm complaining mind you)

EDIT:

And the variants for june are Bombshell :v:

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=51487

At least Red Hood finally got a variant cover! :v:

Dark_Tzitzimine fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Mar 14, 2014

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Solicits are starting to come out:

http://www.newsarama.com/20589-dc-june-2014-solicits-the-new-52-part-1.html

Batman and GL family

http://www.newsarama.com/20583-dc-comics-june-2014-solicitations.html

Collectibles and beyond the N52

To note:

*Lobdell is back on RHATO, I...I don't know what to think about it
*Larfleeze is cancelled
*Tiny Titans is back! :neckbeard:

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Full solicits:

http://www.newsarama.com/20593-dc-comics-full-june-2014-solicitations.html

Important things:

Ray Palmer is making his N52 debut on Future's End

The Doom Patrol is debuting for real this time

Aaand NuLobo is back so Red Hood's April cover is either a red herring or DC is loving insane :psyduck:

'Barry tries to repair his fractured relationship with Wally West!' :raise:

Doomsday Virus...Okay...

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Teenage Fansub posted:

He was in Frankenstein.

He did? Then why the media circus when they introduced Atom/Atomica?

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

E the Shaggy posted:

Hold on a minute D_T, you forgot to post the super classy cover for Red Hood!

Never change DC, never change.

Because I posted it on my thread, obviously :v:

I don't see why people are getting so upset over it, as far as things go that's a pretty harmless cover, Kory doesn't have glaring anatomic problems, her suit isn't that much different to the one on the previous DCU.

Then again, I wouldn't past DC to be banking on another scandal to secure sales :sigh:

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Senor Candle posted:

You're better than this DT.

Indeed I am

I don't really have a problem with discussing this anywhere but I think it would be better for everyone if we were to keep it contained on the Red Hood thread. :downs:

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Madkal posted:

Can we move away from the scandal-baiting stuff and rather talk about how DC is doing 2 weekly comics. I know DC's track record with weeklies are all over the place ranging from the very good (52), to the mediocre (Trinity) to the very bad (Countdown) but have these really been big money earners for DC to justify two weeklies at the same time.

There were rumors of a third even.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Just dropping by to say than RHATO was loving awesome

Seriously guys, gave it a look at least, is a blast. :flashfap:

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
By the way, Forever Evil 7 has been delayed to May 21 and Nightwing 30 to May 28

:thumbsup:

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Teenage Fansub posted:

I'm surprised at how little noise there was when she was depicted as a mass child murderer in the villain month issue.

E: Which was from the upcoming Suicide Squad writer and not Palmiotti/Conner who's own light-hearted series was one or two months away. I'd have been a pretty devastated seeing that if I was them.

Not really, a lot of the complaints issued against her series stem from the villian's issue and how it doesn't mesh to have a goofy book centered around a mass child murderer.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Crossposting from the Red Hood Thread because I don't know what the gently caress:

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Pfeifer got an interview about the book on CBR and while I love what he did and he sounds pretty excited for writing the book, I'm confused for this:

The way I see it: He doesn't know yet than he was replaced by Lobdell, Lobdell's a fill-in, DC booted Lobdell after the cover scandal

:psyduck:

Whatever it is, is a really lovely thing to do on editorial's part (unless I'm reading way too much obviously)

Is also worth nothing how he talks about Lobo and the big plans for him but doesn't say who Lobo is.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=51578

EDIT: And the interviewer just posted this on the CBR Forums:

'Just an FYI to everyone: I spoke to Will on Monday after June solicits were up, and everything he said to me indicates that he is the regular writer in an ongoing sense. So I think it's safe to assume that the June issue is a fill-in unless we learn otherwise. I will double check with DC to be extra sure.'

:psyduck:

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Speaking of Harley, she will have a one shot centered around the San Diego Comic-con and a new war-themed comic will be released on July

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
http://www.newsarama.com/20664-new-flash-writers-wally-west-changes-not-surprise-for-the-sake-of-surprise.html

Interview with the Flash's new creative team with a lot of new info about Wally.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

WickedHate posted:

If Wally West didn't start out as Barry's mentor and then grow into the role after Barry's death, is it even still Wally? What, aside from pandering, is the point of Wally's inclusion if he's nothing at all like Wally West?

:raise:

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
I've liked what Palmiotti has been doing on All Star Western but gently caress him by fridging Gina. I can see the reasons for her death but still gently caress him, she was a great character.

:argh:

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Trast posted:

I haven't read this so forgive me if I mess something up. But when you say you can see the reasons for her death do you mean they make sense story wise? Because I thought fridging someone was specifically killing a female character specifically to get a rise or motivate a male character and nothing else.

Gina died because she wasn't accustomed to the old west extreme conditions. I can understand the logic (she was a city girl after all) but it feels really awful to off her on one issue. Why put her on the story in the first place then?

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
I found Gina interesting because she showed herself to be more than a clumsy girl smitten by the badass and brooding Jonah, she wasn't one to stand fo his bullshit and she was constantly calling him out and taking her own decisions.

She was constantly on the role of a victim but what were you expecting? she was only a city girl with no real combat experience.

And I'm hoping her death means something for Jonah because if Palmiotii wanted to get rid of her, he just should've left her on the present. As it stands now I'm getting the message than she was killed by being a stubborn woman who didn't knew better and I found that kind of message way more troubling than the handling of Starfire.

EDIT:

WHAT THE gently caress DC? :cry:

Is from the September's Batman Death of the Family TP and Joker Mask Set. only $39.99 USD

Dark_Tzitzimine fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Mar 27, 2014

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Teenage Fansub posted:

Jeff Lemire is doing Teen Titans Earth One with Terry Dodson.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=51766 <-Didio interview.
http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=51760 <- Lemire interview.

Morrison's one is still about a year off. :(

Isn't Terry Dodson an artist known by being kind of 'cheesecakey'? Raven :stare: face is freaking me out.

Who's the pretty boy in blue and the white-clad girl?

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Was Taters posted:

White-clad - p sure she's in purple. That's Starfire. I know, hard to recognize when you don't have her tits out on display, but the eyes and skintone are a bit of a give-away.

Blonde guy in 70s hipster hair? Jericho. I wonder if he's still Slade's kid.

Nah, what it really defines Kory is her hair and the orange skin.

That character reminds me more of Solstice.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
The New 52 main Earth hasn't been designed with any name yet but knowing DC I wouldn't be surprised if indeed is Earth-1 with Earth-One being the desgined name for the graphic novel line.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
I asked about Dodson because I've only seen his cover work and he always draws stunning woman with (as anti-strunt pointed) bring to mind 19th century women so I honestly couldn't recognize him on that cover is so different and actually it feels kind of poor. I don't know, probably he's trying a new style or something.

March is a great artist but sometimes his style makes the character look like souless monsters (like in the scrapped Catwoman pages), his men (unless they ugly or have a non-standard design) look more or less the same and ocassionally the anatomy is kind of hosed up.

Benes is also pretty decent but again, his men look generic compared to the women, and that's not counting than sometimes it seems than he's using only two models just changing clothes and hairstyles.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
http://www.newsarama.com/20665-detective-comics-30-preview-manapul-buccellato-s-first-issue.html

Action and Detective comics previews.

Goddamn, we're off to a good start with Doomed. Those pages were :black101: as hell, hope it gets released though

quote:

ACTION COMICS #30
Written by GREG PAK
Art and cover by AARON KUDER
1:25 MAD Variant cover
On sale APRIL 2 • 32 pg, FC, $3.99 US • RATED T
Following the events of FOREVER EVIL, Superman confronts Lex Luthor – but the world has turned around for these two. The hero has become the villain and the villain the hero as forces beyond these two gather to destroy the Man of Steel, beginning with a dormant Doomsday who has crossed over from the Phantom Zone!

:v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Soonmot posted:

Stormwatch is still going? Holy poo poo!

Oh man, Stormwatch is such an hilarious trainwreck. N52 Stormwatch is back with no real explanation on what happened to Starlin's or how they came back outside of a 'we went on a parallel timeline for a couple of weeks'.

Outside of that, it was a nice time waster and I really enjoyed the jab at Venditti's bullshit on GL. I din't see the Future's End teaser anywhere though.

The art was pretty good if somewhat generic.

• Locked thread