Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

In which way? Convergence is another crack the concept behind Countdown Arena.

quote:

Convergence spins out of the April 1 finales of the Earth 2: World's End and The New 52: Futures End weekly series. The alien supervillain Brainiac has trapped cities from various timelines and planets that have ended, brought them in domes to a planet outside of time and space, and is now opening them for a great experiment to see what happens when all these folks meet.
Countdown Arena: Municipal Edition

Well I guess that means Cass will be back, assuming they carry over Preboot Gotham (since that was where she was last seen before the reboot). Here's hoping she gets written by somebody good if she does (hint to DC: NOT ADAM BEECHEN).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Teenage Fansub posted:

Cassandra Cain, right?

Seems like. It's not like her costume is terribly distinctive when all you have to go on is her head and shoulders.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Who the heck is Alisa Kwitney? Also booooo that Cass and Tim are playing second fiddle to Steph, can't they at least get joint billing? Also where's Cass' mask?

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Dacap posted:

Weird that nearly every solicitation ends with "and then Flashpoint _________ attacks". I guess characters from that universe are the aggressors in this series?

I guess they're the closest to old!DCU when the domes go down. Although why they'd be picking a fight with them and not each other is a riddle for the ages.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Interesting...Pre-New-52 is being invaded by Flashpoint, while 90s Earth is being invaded by Kingdom Come.

In both regards, the 'protagonist' Earths are being invaded by an Earth based the event that brought an end to their respective 'eras'. I mean the Flashpoint connection is obvious, but Kingdom Come is one of the big things people point to as bringing an end to the Dark Age.

I hope they mix it up later on, though. 'Earth X invades Earth Y' might get a tad boring.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

qntm posted:

"Batmen" :mad:

But Batmans scans better to the nananananananana song.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

SirDan3k posted:

I say you could have a tense as hell Joker story where he's reverted to a "Stealing kids report cards" Joker because everyone knows the monster is still in there and any of the thousand pies he's throwing could be filled with cyanide or the next bag of itching powder could melt your skin off.

I remember a great story where the Joker took over a TV quiz show and unleashed several 'pranks' on the hapless contestants who were tasked with asking impossible questions...that were all entirely nonlethal. The whole story was just waiting for him to finally whack somebody. The endgame? Revealing he'd put cameras in the recording booth where the producer had actively stalled people calling the police, because it was ratings gold and if Joker killed anyone the studio wouldn't be liable. Batman hauled Joker off to Arkham of course, but he didn't kill (or even set out to kill) anybody in that story.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Ponsonby Britt posted:

The most logical solution would be a continuity where Batman starts off fighting alone, but then he's kidnapped by the Rainbow Raider. Meanwhile, members of all seven Lantern Corps crash to earth simultaneously, empowering Dick, Barbara, Jason, Tim, Stephanie, Cassandra, and Damien. The kids have to put aside their bickering long enough to rescue Bruce, and afterwards they all become his sidekick in a rotating schedule based on Batman's mood.

GO GO ROBIN RANGERS!

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Dacap posted:

I wonder what the DCU would be like now if Waid had ended up as EiC of DC a few years back

What!? This was a thing that might have happened? Stop making me want things I can't have!

WickedHate posted:

Most people seem to like Earth 2, but I'm pretty sore over the JSA not being Golden Age heroes anymore. Alan being Batman's childhood hero was great.

Actually, wasn't he Thomas Wayne's childhood hero?

Yvonmukluk fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Jan 5, 2015

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Edit:Quote is not edit.

Yvonmukluk fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Jan 5, 2015

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Teenage Fansub posted:

Here's the info page that was running in last week's books.

Oh goody, more dead parents!

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

tenniseveryone posted:

Is it just me or are Chip Kidd's variant covers for Convergence atypically lazy? (All the covers for the one-shots are up on ComicsAlliance FYI). The concept's solid - characters fading away yadda yadda - but in practice it's just throwing a Photoshop gradient over some old art.

Also I would like a Babs Tarr nineties Superboy ongoing. What are people actually planning to buy out of Convergence, if anything? Jeff Parker/Doc Shaner Captain Marvel's the only one that looks worth a shot outside of (duh) the Rucka and Renee reunion. That's even with the threat of steampunk.

I'm definitely going for Batgirl and her Amazing Friends, Question, Speed Force-basically all the pre-Flashpoint books. Probably Suicide Squad, too.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Flameingblack posted:

The Batgirl comic is a really fun read to me, I know it's easy to hate but it feels as close to a Stephanie book as we'll get for ages to come so I don't mind. I've got to catch up with Swamp Thing (Since the second issue post Rot World) because other than that I haven't been buying DC titles much at all. Too many company-wide crossovers, too much muddled continuity, too many bad writers and artists on books. At least there's diversity now.

Ahem. Convergence: Batgirl and her Amazing Friends.

:colbert:

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Rhyno posted:

DC is absolutely loving this up, I don't see a single one of these even making the top 25 sold. It's like they want to destroy their market share for 2015.

On the plus side, I guess they can say 'nobody wants to read about Cassandra Cain/Renee Montaya/Underpants Supes'! :downs:

This is not actually a good thing.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Well, I'm actually getting a good feeling about this story.

Someone stop me before I start anticipating it!

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

SirDan3k posted:

When he shows up slaps Barry and says "You moron. Jesus gimmie a minute" then fixes the universe in the span of a panel.

I can dream god drat it.

Can we have a series called Wally West fixes comics where he goes all round the multiverse and undoes moronic reboots and retcons?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

I realise that these are probably puff pieces, but drat if these Convergence interviews aren't making me actually look forward to it.

I want to hear from Alisa Kwitney about the Batgirl one, though. She's an unknown quantity and writing three of my favourite characters, I need to know how tensed for disappointment I need to be.

• Locked thread