Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry
I like how the cover reminds us that Damian and Superboy are dead. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

By the way, Forever Evil 7 has been delayed to May 21 and Nightwing 30 to May 28

:thumbsup:
And as an add-on, Forever Evil 7 was originally delayed until April 16th on Monday. It's pretty ridiculous that Future's End is going to be beginning before the current big arc even finishes.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

TwoPair posted:

Also I guess I'll be unpopular and say I just don't see what people like about Harley Quinn (the book, not the character). I really liked Conner/Palmiotti's other work, but every time I see a page posted in the funny panels thread or other places on the other internet it just reeks of... I dunno, trying too hard? Bad jokes? Or maybe it's just that the New 52 has just hosed Harley up too much (see: child murder) that my brain can't reconcile a fun/wacky book featuring this character existing.
This is my general issue as well. The Suicide Squad stuff involving her just turned me off that entire series, when I was trying to give it a decent shot. She took Joker's torn off face, put it over a captive Deadshot and began talking to him like he was the Joker, ending with her making out with him while he was still wearing Joker's face. Yeah.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Speaking of Harley, she will have a one shot centered around the San Diego Comic-con and a new war-themed comic will be released on July
I thought my friend was joking when he said DC was trying to turn Harley into their version of Deadpool. Going need to ask if he actually works for them now.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

Chaos Hippy posted:

Absolute silence, until the universe asks "who's Donna Troy?"
DC already answered that one.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry
Whoever designed the spider-leg robots must have taken a page from the fourth season of BTAS, with Mr. Freeze's design back then.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry
I wonder what DC is trying to shove down the readers throats more: the Superman and Wonder Woman romance or Joker's Daughter.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry
Yeah the Zatanna comic Dini majorly wrote is good stuff.

Also I argue that Grant Morrison's revival of Shining Knight was merely a stepping stone for all the good things Demon Knights did with the character. Though Demon Knights in general was a great comic and too good for the New 52 so of course it got cancelled. :v:

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry
I wonder if that promo image means Kara and Helena are going to be returning to Earth-2 at some point during this all. Their comic together is pretty enjoyable and I'd hate to see it go.

Endless Mike posted:

Are these full priced weeklies or $0.99 digital weeklies?

Judging by Eternal being 2.99, I'd say full price. None of these are on the digital line up (which is pretty awesome by the way).

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

Inkspot posted:

Doesn't it also end with Batman maybe killing The Joker, or was that Grant Morrisson spitting nonsense at Kevin Smith?
I don't know where that came from. The ending is just the two of them laughing at a joke and Batman looking like he's about to choke Joker, but Killing Joke is in continuity so that didn't happen.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry
Booster seems like he might be getting a decent role in Future's End, judging by the teaser spread being published in that News 52 segment, so I'd be glad to see him get a proper series. It might inject some, y'know, humor into this reboot. And Giffen is still sticking around with DC so there's some hope they'd give it back to him.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry
Okay DC we get it. It's Batman's 75th anniversary. You've made that very apparent and impossible to miss, even to people who don't regularly read your comics.

Please stop.

(Also I don't get the logic of making variant covers featuring Batman for comics that would already have Batman on the main cover anyway.)

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry
Justice League United/Canada #0 is pretty good. I haven't read any of the other Justice League stuff in New 52 but it doesn't feel like you miss a lot from it and the team is almost set up as pseudo-underdogs, given they aren't high-profile heroes (J'onn and Ollie aside.) I haven't read any of Animal Man either, but his appearance here alone is making me tempted to check it out.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

Senor Candle posted:

To reward everyone who has been waiting for Forever Evil #7, DC is raising the price on the book by $1
http://www.bleedingcool.com/2014/04/24/forever-evil-7-jumps-from-3-99-to-4-99/
They really want people to forget that Forever Evil happened, don't they. I don't blame them. Here's hoping Future's End won't be as big a trainwreck.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

For me it was that I wanted to read Blue Beetle since the last run was amazing, Static Shock since i loved the cartoon and Justice League since that would get me interested in the team to know which ones I want to read solo. All those titles were terrible and I gave up hard. (Though gave Batman a chance and stuck 'till Death of the Family)
If you're interested in Static Shock, you should pick up the Dwayne McDuffie trade "Rebirth of Cool." There's a second one called "Trial by Fire" but it's out of print so it's a harder find. McDuffie, for the record, created and produced the animated show so you can expect the writing to be of a similar quality.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry
Dude your hatred of Tynion is really getting weird. The pages are fine and yes they cater to fans, but so what? There's nothing wrong with the last issue of Nightwing, where everyone thinks Dick is dead, showing scenes of his family and friends remembering him in different ways and mourning him. And as for your Superman comment - it isn't like Clark has his different types of visions on 24/7. He has no reason to suspect Bruce would lie about his son, the first son he ever had in any capacity, being dead.

I can see why the rewrite was issued with Grayson being launched and the new writing team wanting to use #30 as a zero-issue, along with giving any onlookers a glance at what to expect in the future from the last few pages of the issue. However what Tynion was probably going to go for judging from the pages alone doesn't seem bad. The art is actually better in these pages than in most of the actual issue too, though that's no surprise when you have three different artists with completely different styles in the same book.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry
My copy of United #2 doesn't say Canada on it. I got the Bombshell cover, but I don't recall the regular ones at my LCS having Canada on them either.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

I just read all of the Scribblenauts comic and is the best thing, lots of cameos and in-jokes of all DC's corners, cute art and a funny story.

Any chance it will be collected or I better start hunting the issues?
Amazon says a trade will be released in early February 2015, but it'll be the first nine digital chapters. If you aren't up for waiting that long then you're better off buying issues or going for it digitally.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

Barry Convex posted:

The game also adheres to the fairytale noir premise of the comic's early issues, which, IIRC, Willingham mostly abandoned after the first arc in favor of taking the book in a purer fantasy direction.
It's a shame he abandoned it because that's the premise that attracted me to Fables to begin with and why I enjoy Wolf Among Us so much. Bigby solving a mystery involving the other Fables and the subtle clues presented that lead up to the reveal hooked me fast. The first arc is the only one I own because I flipped through some of the pages of the second arc and didn't find it as interesting.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

Codependent Poster posted:

She just showed up. I hope that they go the JLU route with her and Stargirl.
Judging by the brief conversation her and Stargirl already had, I'm guessing they're going to be set up as friends as opposed to rivals and then friends. Fine by me.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry
Huh. I actually didn't care for the idea of selfie variants, but if there are more of them in the way of this one then I can dig it.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

Benny the Snake posted:

So now that Azzarello is leaving Wonder Woman, is there any DC title at all worth reading for the long run?
I'm enjoying Justice League United right now. Gives me a lot of International vibes, since the team is so much smaller and made up mostly of B-listers.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

So the most recent issue of Injustice revealed that Harley had a children from the Joker and is with her sister

I didn't see that coming :stare:
DC really needs to stop trying to cram Joker's Daughter into every drat place they can find. :v:

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

CharlestheHammer posted:

Its an alternative cover. Its probably not representative of what is in the comic.

Unless I just got whooshed.
Considering the other covers have Wonder Woman as a vampire and Aquaman as a reverse mermaid, I think we're safe for spoilers.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry
Man Catwoman's variant artist really missed the point by a mile.

Meanwhile there are more selfie variants previewed as well for Harley Quinn, Superman, Batman, Green Lantern and Grayson. Again in the "missing the point" category for the Grayson artist.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry
Man who the hell is Lobdell friends with that he can keep getting all these writing jobs despite writing some of the worst poo poo DC has coming out, on top of all the controversy he has generated alone?

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry
I feel like calling it a rumor is giving it too much credit. She made a tweet where she said the word SECRET, capitalized, six times. I mean c'mon. :v:

Anyway I'm pretty excited for it. I own all of Secret Six (including the Birds of Prey crossover issues and the two minis that led up to the main book) and I'll happily give the rebooted version a try with Simone penning.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

quote:

Things are spinning out of control for the Outlaws when Roy realizes that he’s the only member of the team not abusing drugs!

Someone please put this book out of its misery. I say this as a fan of Jason too.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Those are really solid numbers though, once that he left RHATO sales dropped like a stone. Maybe he doesn't sell tons but his numbers are consistent.
What are you talking about? The drop between 17 and 18 is the largest, but Lobdell did both of those issues. Tynion only began writing at 19. On top of that 15 sold the most because it was a Death of the Family tie-in.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry
It's even made more uncomfortable by the fact that Bunker (the guy who makes said rant) was known in earlier issues for being very uplifting and happy-go-lucky, bringing a little fun to the team's grim tone. It reeks of creating artificial drama in an issue that was primarily action driven. No one would have their life saved from certain doom and then go "well gee I wish I wasn't saved by the gay hero!"

Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if this will lead to Will Pfeifer trying to write Bunker off the team and replace him with someone else more name recognizable. Bunker was notably in the very far back of the cover and he wasn't even featured on the Batman 75th anniversary variant cover while the rest of the team was.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

gogisha posted:

I know some people here have read it, but is Justice League United worth checking out? The unconventional team makes it seem like it could be fun, but some of the covers make it seem just as grimdark as everything else, and I haven't liked a Lemire team book so I'm not sure if it's worth it. The new Batgirl announcement got me interested in seeing what was going on in the new 52 after a while. Same question for Earth 2, has that been any good since Robinson left?
United is pretty good in my opinion. The first story will be ending in the August issue and it's definitely not overly grimdark. The art is nice and stylistic in a few places and the team dynamics are shaping out to be great so far. In my opinion it's structured similarly to Justice League International. A few B-list heroes, with a couple A-listers, and the humor and action is good. The only complaint I have is that it's a little slow-paced, but it is the first arc so it may be too soon to judge.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry
It could be because Injustice is a digital-first title and not New 52. I know that sounds ridiculous, but considering that DC Editorial is letting Gail Simone write a Wonder Woman story that involves Oracle for the first issue of Sensation Comics it doesn't sound too far-fetched. Hell they even let Dustin Nguyen and Derek Fridolfs acknowledge Stephanie Brown's existence long before Batman Eternal popped up, among many others, in Li'l Gotham.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

Was Taters posted:

They made them recolor the one in Lil Gotham, I believe.
That was in the first issue. In the last she shows up, full-costume. Oracle even shows up a few times too.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry
One thing about this map confuses me: is Morrison illustrating that Apokolips and New Genesis exist outside the sphere of the multiverse and are universal constants, in this Sphere of the Gods?

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry
Huh, I never knew that. I've only recently begun getting into the Fourth World series of comics so this is handy info.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

chime_on posted:

Sandman definitely takes place in the pre-Flashpoint DCU, though. I know there are books that DC currently publishes that are outside of the New 52, but I don't think any of them explicitly take place in the old universe, do they?
Not explicitly. Most of them deal with universes that aren't Post-Crisis or New 52. In fact most of them deal with tv universes (Batman '66, Batman Beyond Universe, Smallville) though the upcoming Sensation Comics has a story that involves Oracle so there's that.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry
That reminds me that September will be Future's End solos for all of New 52 right? At least that's a month I can cut my DC pulls out of.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

Literally The Worst posted:

That doesn't make it good. It still sounds like awful "look how edgy and mature we are" horseshit aka DC in TYOOL 2014.
But there's nothing edgy about it.

The woman has a device in her body that makes her run super fast, but she isn't a meta-human so her body isn't able to support the speed she goes at. She burns too many calories when she even runs for a little bit. So she eats people to keep up her caloric intake whenever she starts running. It's a little dark yes, but the comic doesn't glorify her as a character and Dick has to be knocked out because he wants to hand her over to authorities for cannibalism.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry
See I only define it as grimdark if the content glorifies the darkness as something cool and intense. There's nothing glorifying her in that scene, she's outright called a monster. The issue wasn't as great as the first, but it wasn't bad and the whole scenario was used as a way to set up the expected dynamic between Helena and Dick. The device was taken out of her body by the end so she won't be a recurring character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry
This discussion needs to die already because it's just going in complete circles at this point.

The point of the scenario was just to show the difference between Helena and Dick. Dick wanted to turn her in, Helena wanted to use her. There's nothing else to that scene other than highlighting the difference between their morals and methods when dealing with this threat. The speedster is a plot device to that end.

• Locked thread