Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

If they're going to go all techno-alien with Supes they should just go all the way.

First Bass posted:

Romita's art is just bad in general, but he seems to have a problem with Supermen in particular.

:captainpop:

Don't make me post the entirety of his Daredevil run at you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Hakkesshu posted:

I'm not a big Quitely fan but he has done some really impressive, experimental stuff in like We3 and, for example, that one issue of New X-Men that doesn't have any words in it. Conversely here's nothing good or interesting going on in a page like this, which just looks like it was made by an amateur:

That is absolutely a rush job. I ignored the hell out of AvX but I'm guessing because it was an event book editors were putting pressure on creative. I agree, this page looks absolutely awful. It only vaguely resembles his normal art though, which is great. A couple of random examples:

That said, I wouldn't fault someone for being mad at JRJR for being the artist on Kick-rear end. I don't blame him, those Millarbux have to feel good in the pocket and feeding the kids. But it doesn't stop me from wishing it was someone else.

I think the reason this bothers me so much is not really that someone is talking poo poo about an artist I like, but in general I'm bugged by this focus on "pretty people" which seems to spur most of this type of criticism: Quitely's "potato faces" or Steve Dillion's one face are generally irritating and facile complaints. I'm also reminded of criticism of artists that used to kill it but have fallen off for whatever reason, at least when the critics act like they're bad newcomers. Like those directed towards some of Howard Chaykin's more recent work for hire endeavors. (Satellite Sam makes it clear that he just didn't give a gently caress about Hawkgirl and needed cash, and I've heard that he totally delegated it to assistants)

Lightning Lord fucked around with this message at 11:24 on Feb 3, 2015

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Die Laughing posted:

I'll take the artistic arguments in this thread than the one I had last night anytime: Kingdom Come vs Forever Evil.

An argument with no possible winners.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Jiro posted:

The hell could someone have against an entire series of Alex Ross art??? Versus David Finch poo poo pencils and faces and body proportions and........ :stare:

His art's stiff, it has no dynamism, his storytelling is garbage, he is kind of a homophobic jerk, etc.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Compared to Red Hood, that is super restrained. I also think it's pretty funny, but that's to be expected from Amanda Conner.

• Locked thread