Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Senor Candle posted:

If they let Dan Didio write New Gods I would literally burn DC to the ground.

That better be a promise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
"Forever Evil" is a pretty appropriate title. Evil inflicted on the readers, forever.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
If Wally West didn't start out as Barry's apprentice and then grow into the role after Barry's death, is it even still Wally? What, aside from pandering, is the point of Wally's inclusion if he's nothing at all like Wally West?

WickedHate fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Mar 25, 2014

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Ooops, I am an idiot. :blush:

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
The DC "house style"(is that official?) is one of the ugliest art styles I've ever seen and reeks of desperation to be gritty.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Spoilers and scans for Future's End #0

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2014/04/08/first-look-futures-end-0-big-time-spoilers/

Looks interesting but is so loving dark and grim.

Everyone having spider legs just makes it so drat goofy.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Freaky doesn't always equal good. He's disturbing like a nineties anti hero is extreme.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Veg posted:

Its just a little jarring to see Dick use the eskrima sticks for years and now hes proficient with a gun?

Guns are MANLY and DARK.

I hope he ends up in the Deathwing costume and it's played completely seriously. :allears:

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

There was a Female Dr. Fate? :psyduck:

She and her step son merged so Dr. Fate switched genders randomly, and she was attracted to the step son and it was all icky wierdness.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

lotus circle posted:

(Also I don't get the logic of making variant covers featuring Batman for comics that would already have Batman on the main cover anyway.)

Maybe those will have TWO Batmen. :shrug:

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Holy poo poo, Superdoom. That's so dumb I can't help but be enthralled by the sheer magnitude of it's dumbness. :allears:

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Vincent posted:

"Aquaman and the others" is such a stupid name.

Aquaman was so tired of being listed under "and others", being the leader of his own team gave him a chance to strike back.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

I just want to know what Lobo I'll be reading in the future :shrug:

One of two.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

lotus circle posted:

They really want people to forget that Forever Evil happened, don't they. I don't blame them. Here's hoping Future's End won't be as big a trainwreck.

How soon we forget "absolutely everyone has a robot spider lower half, except for Frankenstein who has Black Canary's head attached to his chest".

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

ElNarez posted:

If we're gonna start calling things in comic books dumb, I have no idea when we'd ever stop or where we'd draw the line. I don't really think this line of criticism holds water. Plus, is "Brother Eye takes Earth over and turns its heroes into killer spider-robots and it's up to Batman Beyond to save the world" really that bad a hook for a comic? I dunno, to me it sounds pretty fun.

Of course it does, because you left out the silly bits and just described the basic premise. There is a difference between "time traveling apes with ray guns and jetpacks" wacky, and "spider legs for everyone and disembodied heads being sewn into chests". It's like comics with titles like "Deathmate: This blood's for you!". Just because fiction is, well, fictional, and because unrealistic things often happen in them, doesn't mean that people won't call out how dumb something is. I can believe a zombie can run around and chase you despite that the rotting body shouldn't be able to move, or that Batman just happens to be highly trained in whatever area of expertise the plot requires, and Futures End is still stupid.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Favorabilis Solitud posted:

I am enjoy the new 52.

The DC universe was so convoluted. DC has no one to blame but themselves for this. I waited 6 months before I started reading the new 52 and this helped I think instead of just digesting a fraction of a story 1 month a time and picking it apart. I tend to do that, wait a few months then read a few issues.

The only thing that really ticked me is there are some issues with the small time frame and some of the characters that really made no sense. I got past it but I couldn't help but think "We rebooted this poo poo because it was a loving mess and we already have problems here". I was expecting a few things here and there though.

The DC universe before the reboot wasn't all that convoluted at all, even if they didn't just have a different reboot in 2005(Infinite Crisis).

The New 52 is what made canon a real mess. Five Robins in as many years but one was not Robin despite him saying so, the Teen Titans issue, did X happen or not, Y happened but how could it if Z didn't, and so forth.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Flameingblack posted:

Have they ever made an attempt at explaining where Cyborg, Raven, and Beast Boy came from, since they weren't Teen Titans, but they were a team (Just not teen titans!)

Cyborg's origin went down in the first Justice League arc. Bird Girl and Orange Dude I've got no idea about. Beast Boy was on the Ravagers, I think, when that spun out of the terrible Teen Titans Hunger Games thing.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Pyros posted:

I always hope every over-the-top, convoluted and gritty DC event is just leading to the return of Superboy-Prime.

They kept trying to push him as a major character. Clearly, the New 52 is an attempt to get us to sympathize with him.

We are all Superboy-Prime.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Favorabilis Solitud posted:

So DC simplified it or whatever by just saying "gently caress it, lets start over (for the most part)"

Edit: Thinking about it more, I think the multiple Robins in 5 years and multiple Green Lanterns was just because those were solid selling comics before.

None of this required an actual continuity reboot, though. Marvel did number one resets with Marvel NOW! and they still have all the history but with good jumping on points.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Amusingly enough, Jason Todd was the character most benefitted by the reboot since it streamlined his story, gave him a direction and a place to belong in the larger DCU, besides, RHATO is loving awesome :colbert: (just stay the gently caress away from Tynion's issues, god what mess was that)

I will agree with this, because Jason's whole deal was pretty lovely by the time the reboot happened, and he had an ugly as gently caress costume.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

d00gZ posted:

Futures End is hilariously bad and I am so, so, so sorry for being even remotely optimistic.

You learned an important lesson today and are forgiven.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Waterhaul posted:

So Future's End had a gay character being graphically killed, "a child" being shot in the face with a gun after witnessing her parents being graphically murdered and ends on another hero "being killed".

And this is only the first issue :getin:

This is just a lead up to the ultimate New 52 announcement: DC buying Crossed.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Teenage Fansub posted:

He's also the one that would fly out into space to check something out :shrug:

Was this comic really outrageous?
Batman Eternal #1 killed hundreds of people just to get everyone mad at Jim Gordon, but this is unacceptable?

E: I mean, tastes are tastes. Whatever, but in the grand scheme of comics, eh.

Killing a bunch is nameless civilians is dumb bullshit, but I don't get how you don't see the problem in charring one of DC's only four gay heroes and possibly killing another in the same blast(leaving only Bunker in the main universe),

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Teenage Fansub posted:

Hey. I was happy he was back at all after their book was so destroyed, but bad stuff's gonna happen to characters. He can fly in space and there's a killer satellite out there we gotta demonstrate the threat of.

Killing characters to prove the threat of the bad guy, such a great storytelling motif beloved by fans.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

HitTheTargets posted:

I would be fine with them pulling the hugest, douchiest cop out ever and saying all of the New 52 is Ultimate DC. I've become that which I hate, a dude who cares about the "real" version of Batman.

Except they started in Ultimatum and never stopped.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
DT just lives on Earth-3 where those things are amazing works of art and their connection is somehow skipping dimensions.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

KomradeX posted:

Okay that's my misunderstanding. I thought it was suppose to do that cause "it's too complicated for the readers. " or some such nonsense and it got reintroduced cause DC is run by incompetents.

That was Crisis On Infinite Earths, the original reboot.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
There was a gifset on tumblr of a comics historian near tears recounting Peter Parker saying hi to a black student in passing in the sixties. It was heartwarming, kind of, and was a good argument for why diversity with heroes is needed.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Chortles posted:

This is actually a pretty interesting post on how minority status can affect characterization in Ms. Marvel's case, with way more subtlety than Simon Baz's introduction.

Marvel is just making up for Dust. But even she was decades ahead of...well...

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Superstring posted:

W-why does he have a gun?!

Something something his ring doesn't work all the time. Does not explain the ski mask.

DC's premier Muslim super hero literally has the appearance of a stereotypical terrorist.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I could have sworn he had a messed up power ring. Maybe I'm thinking of another Lantern. Either way the best gun using GL will always be Jack T. Chance.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Two Tone Shoes posted:

Wally West was a property that worked really really well for a really long time until DC intentionally hosed with the entire Flash series by, you know, getting rid of whoever is The Flash every year and churning out garbage stories.

Did Bart Allen even make a year as Flash?

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Gotham Academy, written by Becky Cloonan Brendan Fletcher with art by Karl Kerschl. The series is a “monthly teen drama set at Gotham City’s most prestigious prep school.”

God, I hope DC is bringing back Scooter.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

MH Knights posted:

Cookie is the Jersey Shore "dumb" blonde.

Nah, complimenting Scooter shows how hip and in she is, and therefore smarter then all the squares who don't dig that rad dude.

Cynthia is his sister.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Senor Candle posted:

If you thought this wasn't going to be real, then...

I'm so happy. :allears:

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
That's...kind of cool?

Like, I'm still pretty upset over the changes to the Phantom Stranger and having any sort of romance, be it heterosexual, homosexual, or with an agendered space slug is further out of character for who the Stranger used to be but otherwise that actually sounds really neat.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

MonsterEnvy posted:

I can never like Nu Phamtom Stranger. He is not a stranger.

Yeah, I mean, if that was just some new character with a different name I'd be happier, but the whole reboot has completely mangled them.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
It looks more like a paddle or a shovel.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
So I guess Damian is coming back. Hell of a way for them to spoil it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
It's not that I think the comic will involve Batman and Robin as mummies, but I don't think Damian would be on the alternative cover if he wasn't back thanks to Robin Rises. Vampire Wonder Women is on the cover of Wonder Woman, the comic book about Wonder Woman, so Damian will probably be in the comic called Batman and Robin, who's cover he-as a mummy in a silly variant cover aside-is featured prominently on alongside Batman.

• Locked thread