Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Space_Butler
Dec 5, 2003
Fun Shoe
All-Star Western is cancelled.

DC is hell bent on trimming my pull list from them to nil.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space_Butler
Dec 5, 2003
Fun Shoe
There's a rumor going around that the June solicits will have new titles added. Can't speak to the veracity of the claims, since it either originated on or just got reposted to the 4chan comic leak boards, but just in case it's real the titles are:

- Booster Gold
- Superman and ARGUS
- Nightwing and Bluebird
- Young Justice
- Forever People

Not getting excited for any of those until I see creative teams, though.

Space_Butler
Dec 5, 2003
Fun Shoe

Teenage Fansub posted:

And if Bleeding Cool's hot insider scoops are to be believed, the Didio/Giffen joint is The Forever People. http://www.bleedingcool.com/2014/03/11/dan-didio-and-keith-giffen-bring-us-the-forever-people/

DC All Access just confirmed it

Space_Butler
Dec 5, 2003
Fun Shoe
Did I miss something, or did they delay the Batman Superman containing part 3 of First Contact while still putting out Worlds Finest containing part 4?

Space_Butler
Dec 5, 2003
Fun Shoe
Boy this and Kindt's forever evil tie-in sure was worth driving Ales Kot off.

Oh well, Zero and his Marvel books are pretty great. In the end it just means I get to buy less books with DC on the cover.

Space_Butler
Dec 5, 2003
Fun Shoe

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

I know is Bleeding Cool and all but first look Wally West

Or so they claim.
Oh neat it's everyone of a vague ethnicity Brett Booth has ever drawn.

Space_Butler
Dec 5, 2003
Fun Shoe
Nightwing is dead/cancelled, long live "Grayson".

In essence, Nightwing will "die" at the end of Forever Evil, and the superheroes outside of Batman will think he's dead, but he's gonna be an undercover agent. So basically the DCU now has their Winter Soldier. Joy.

Every new wave of solicits makes me hate DC more and more.

Space_Butler
Dec 5, 2003
Fun Shoe
Holy poo poo, I didn't realize when looking at the picture at first, does he have his loving initial on his chest?

Realistically, this would play out like the later Bond movies where everyone knew who he was 5 seconds after he walked into a bar and just shot at him.

Space_Butler fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Apr 15, 2014

Space_Butler
Dec 5, 2003
Fun Shoe
Yet another Green Lantern crossover is happening: Uprising

Stop me if you've heard this one before:

Van Jensen posted:

I think, at the end of "Uprising," people are going to see that it seems like the Corps has gone through their darkest hour, and that things have changed in monumental ways, and it will seem like it couldn't possibly go any worse for John Stewart or the rest of the Lanterns, but even after that, they're going to have to dig down deeper.

So glad I dropped all the Lantern titles without "Red" in it.

Space_Butler
Dec 5, 2003
Fun Shoe
Speaking of...

Third weekly series revealed: "Earth 2: World's End"

Running parallel to Future's End, so I'm guessing this takes place 5 years later on Earth 2. Writers include Tom Taylor, Daniel Wilson, Paul Levitz, Mike Johnson, and Marguerite Bennett.

The adult new Superman looks thoroughly badass. Even with some of the talent being mediocre, I'd much rather spend my money on this than Batman Eternal.

Space_Butler
Dec 5, 2003
Fun Shoe

lotus circle posted:

I wonder if that promo image means Kara and Helena are going to be returning to Earth-2 at some point during this all. Their comic together is pretty enjoyable and I'd hate to see it go.
The interview definitely sounds like this takes place 5 years from now in the DCU, so they're probably anticipating them going back sometime regardless, but given sales of the series it would really surprise me if the title was still around in 5 years worth of continuity anyway. This is them hedging their bets for story, while still anticipating what is probably the inevitable.

Space_Butler
Dec 5, 2003
Fun Shoe
According to DiDio, the weeklies won't all be a year long.

quote:

Batman Eternal started this April and runs to next March after which it takes a brief hiatus, Futures End starts this May and ends the last week of March 2015, and Worlds End starts in October and ends the same week as the others next March, hope that clears things up.

It's a bit odd that everything lines up to end by April. Yet another line-wide event?

Space_Butler
Dec 5, 2003
Fun Shoe
At least last year a couple of the villains books sounded interesting on paper. There isn't one Future's End book her that sounds remotely interesting at all to me. I'm gonna pray to Crom that the rumors of some line-wide restructuring in April 2015 is real.

Space_Butler
Dec 5, 2003
Fun Shoe
To be fair, we really have gotten to the point in DC stories where Bleeding Cool getting a story completely wrong sounds thoroughly plausible as a storyline.

Space_Butler
Dec 5, 2003
Fun Shoe
Wally West's first in-person appearance in the New 52 is wearing a hoodie, committing vandalism, and getting arrested.

DIVERSITY: DC STYLE!

Space_Butler
Dec 5, 2003
Fun Shoe
I am broken because I'm kind of enjoying Future's End in that "hosed up, poor man's days of future past which will be undone anyway so go hogwild" way.

I'm sure things will change as the air of mystery about these missing 5 years are filled in with idiocy, but in the meantime I'm genuinely curious about the faceless Superman, why everyone has some drastic costume change, and how everything got so thoroughly messed up beyond "there was a war with Earth 2".

Space_Butler
Dec 5, 2003
Fun Shoe

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

*Phantom Stranger, Pandora, Superboy, Batwing, Birds of Prey, All-Star Western, cancelled
Phantom Stranger is the one one I'm really annoyed with. I get the sales were low, which sucks, but it was one of the few titles that really creatively pulled it together. I'm sad All-Star Western is going, but it was also starting to slump, so I'd rather it go out before it got insufferable.

But no, DC, that doesn't mean I'm gonna start buying Star-Spangled War Stories. How'd that last war book you put out wind up?

Space_Butler
Dec 5, 2003
Fun Shoe
Future's End was a bunch of nothing this week. Only 3 (4, technically) issues in and they're already hitting what I feared would happen as a weekly comic.

This was literally the issue with no huge amounts of detail left out:
- Frankenstein stabs a polar bear and an eskimo runs away
- Firestorm argues with himself and then tans some girls
- Grifter goes grocery shopping and talks to a goon
- Mr Terrific watches footage of Batman Beyond do what he did in the last issue
- Tim Drake throws 2 guys out of his bar

The only creative point of the issue is the idea that after the war between two Earths, people have Earth Prime ID cards so their identities can be verified due to people's Earth-2 duplicates running around. It never goes beyond that, sadly, because thinking multiversally would be an interesting idea and they needed to dedicate so many pages to Grifter monologuing as he bought oranges.

Space_Butler
Dec 5, 2003
Fun Shoe

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Nothing? I mean, sure, it was a set up issue but it set some pretty interesting plots:
*The attack on Frankestein set him in course against S.H.A.D.E.
*Ronnie keeps being a massive rear end in a top hat and Jason swears that he will kill hin at the first opportunity.
*Grifter monologue highlights how his vision is evolving allowing him to see anything trying to pass as human (E2 people, daemonites, shapeshifters, etc.)
*Terrific knows about Terry and is looking for a way to protect his projects, specially one called 'uSphere'
*Tim's pulling a Grayson and everyone believes him dead when he's in fact, alive.
Yeah, I consider an entire issue of half-baked setup to be "nothing". If you're cool with paying 3 bucks for an issue that every plot point can be summarized as "stuff will happen later", good for you, but this was a garbage issue. Tim "being alive" means nothing because we didn't know he was thought to be dead to begin with. Firestorm has been yelling at himself since issue 1 now, so until something HAPPENS with the character, I don't count him yelling at himself more to be progress. A single line from Grifter in the midst of battle or something exciting could've gotten his entire sections "point" across. Frankenstein could've just shown up next issue and thrown the tracking device at Father Time demanding to know why he's being followed, we didn't really gain anything by SEEING it. It happened just to happen.

Space_Butler
Dec 5, 2003
Fun Shoe

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

No that's how padding works. Typically in an actually well paced or written story things actually happen and THOSE events are the 'set up' to later events. You can set up story lines and plot points while also doing things. It's a really basic story telling device that lets you draw the reader in and make them actually interested in the story. People standing around talking to themselves and doing piss saying the same "poo poo's going down later" that they have been for the past 2 issues isn't set up, it's filler.
Exactly. DT, see again my statement on Frankenstein. It was wholly unnecessary. In fact, it probably would have been more badass for him to show up at Shade and literally say "I was out saving eskimos from polar bears when one of your drones etc etc" than for me to see him basically say "hmmm, to be continued".

I'm genuinely curious if this is all being written together or if everyone is turning their chunks in without day-to-day knowledge of what the others are doing. If so, that was really bad timing that everyone independently said "eh, I can coast for this week".

Space_Butler
Dec 5, 2003
Fun Shoe

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Wasn't one of the golden rules on comics 'show, don't tell' though?
It's not as black and white of a rule as you think. Frank isnt going to show up to shade and NOT ask or yell about them following him, so it goes back to that being a pointless filler scene.

Space_Butler
Dec 5, 2003
Fun Shoe

TwoPair posted:

That seems interesting but what I really got from it is that it looks like Earth 2 (the book not the concept) might be getting somehow dragged in to Future's End? In which case, please God no why.
World's End just is supposed to be what's going on at the same time as Future's End, but from the Earth 2 perspective (either on their earth, or their characters on Earth Prime. It could go either way). It's an additional weekly, not the current Earth 2 book.

Earth 2 Superman is much closer, in his few appearances, to the classic Superman, and his relationship with E2 Batman is too, so I'll probably end up buying the book again.

Space_Butler
Dec 5, 2003
Fun Shoe
My hope (against hope, really) is that his outfit is stupid purely because everyone seems to be getting a radical makeover for the 5 years later thing. Even Aquaman has some bodysuit thing that looks more like a luge suit than Atlantean chainmail. With luck, that'll be the only time we see that terrible color scheme, and his costume will be colored more like we expect it to be in the normal timeline.

Space_Butler
Dec 5, 2003
Fun Shoe
DC is advertising that, in Supergirl 33, Gen13 is assembling.

I really don't know why they tiptoed around putting the rest of the Wildstorm stuff in, people either wanted it or didn't. Were any readers really clamoring for any kind of slow Marvel Cinematic Universe-esque build for Gen13 or WildCATS?

Space_Butler
Dec 5, 2003
Fun Shoe
New Green Lantern event: Godhead. Involves the New Gods because why not?

All-powerful antagonist that can't be beat.. or CAN he? The corps is ineffective! People are torn apart! This poo poo will never ever end!

quote:

As we learned during Green Lantern: Lights Out, the universe’s ring-wielders broke through the Source Wall that surrounds the universe and stole secrets of immense cosmic power. One problem? Highfather, the leader of the New Gods, knows what they did and is trying to finds those secrets for himself by using one ring of every color of the emotional spectrum. Of course, nothing is ever that simple and what follows will threaten to alter the very fabric of the universe as we know it in “Godhead”, a monthlong crossover event that finds Green Lantern and the New Gods entangled in a struggle for intergalactic survival.

I cannot let out a groan loud or long enough.

Space_Butler
Dec 5, 2003
Fun Shoe
Taylor isn't leaving, he's just adding Bennett as a co-writer. Nicola Scott is the one leaving the book entirely.

Space_Butler
Dec 5, 2003
Fun Shoe

redbackground posted:

That only raises further questions!
Everyone looks tiny and you click a lot to hit things

Space_Butler
Dec 5, 2003
Fun Shoe

tenniseveryone posted:

Kyle Baker being :psyduck:
I need that Baker cover like I need oxygen. That's just fantastic.

Space_Butler
Dec 5, 2003
Fun Shoe

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

First Batch of solicits

Is that Felicity on GA's cover? :psyduck:
Christ Bryan Hitch loves drawing that Ultimate Hawkeye suit. Either that or :effort:

Space_Butler
Dec 5, 2003
Fun Shoe
DC just announced the variant cover theme for December and it's.... holy poo poo, Darwyn Cooke.

God dammit, I'm gonna be buying all of these, I already know it. It's the Allred month all over again.

Space_Butler
Dec 5, 2003
Fun Shoe
Snyder is confirming on twitter that after Batman #35, DC is reverting the pricing on Batman back to $3.99 an issue, but each issue will keep the higher page count.

Space_Butler
Dec 5, 2003
Fun Shoe
I have a feeling he's talking entirely about the reception to the concept of Wally now being biracial, and not the reception of his run on the Flash thus far, because that book has been taking a pounding from everyone, fans and critics alike. Venditti is great over on XO Manowar, but his DC output is pure poo poo.

I dropped the title after a couple issues due to how disjointed the future story was, the fact that this new biracial Wally was introduced as a thug-wearing lawbreaker who *needs* an adult male role model in his life to set him straight, and the garbage art. I think a lot of other people have dropped the title too. I at least still see people complaining about Green Lantern. Almost nobody is saying a word about Flash.

I think sales have also dropped abysmally too. The first trade after Manapul left won't even be bound in hardcover like all the previous ones, they dropped it down to softcover.

Space_Butler
Dec 5, 2003
Fun Shoe
Yeah I'm gonna have to buy some of those. Hopefully this all doesn't lead to this being being DC's equivalent ofspider-verse where they give us the old characters only to have them get murdered quickly, just so DC can go "there, they're dead forever, officially. Quit bugging us and enjoy your Jim Lee armor".

Space_Butler
Dec 5, 2003
Fun Shoe
Quite a few of these could be relaunching too. It's been rumored almost as long as as this whole Convergence thing (before it was ever given a name or creative teams) that they'd be relaunching a bunch of lower-selling books that they want to put focus back on after the move to Burbank is complete in June. I could easily see Swamp Thing and a couple other books coming back almost immediately like Teen Titans did.

Though I hope we get a lot of new books. The Others sucked, Secret Origins was too expensive and covered ground that most titles had just done months prior, and pretty much all of the Lantern titles had worn out their usefulness. Same for Worlds Finest, once Helena and Karen got absorbed back into Earth 2's title(s), their book had no point, and there was no way it was gonna survive long-term with Paul Levitz doing safe Earth-2 Superman/Batman stories.

Space_Butler
Dec 5, 2003
Fun Shoe

Rhyno posted:

I need some input guys.

I'm just starting to put together how I'm going to order Convergence for my store. As a regular DC buyer, do you think you'd buy a Convergence book if you already buy the normal series it corresponds to? For instance, if you buy Batman and Robin regularly do you think you'll pick up Convergence: Batan and Robin?
I'm the kind of idiot that's traditionally bought all the issues of the September events, even if I didn't read the book. That said, with convergence, I'm only going to be sticking with the "era" releases I want, though it'll probably be across the board regardless of character. So I'm definitely buying everything from the Pre-Flashpoint DCU, and the Zero Hour era, but I'm most likely not buying anything from the pre-crisis or CoIE universes. So for me, just week 1 and 2.

If the character-based strategy doesn't work, maybe just a little survey card with those 4 eras (and the weekly) as checkboxes you ask people to fill out while you ring their DC books up?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space_Butler
Dec 5, 2003
Fun Shoe

Rhyno posted:

Any reason in particular?

Too busy writing terrible OGNs and being a "consultant" on TV shows of a higher story quality than anything he's done in comics since forever, I'd imagine. Oh well, at least it's not like he just introduced a huge change and teased a long-term villain or anything.

What?'s that... Oh....

• Locked thread