Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Goddamn, what a gorgeous cover :flashfap:

Cripes, when are they gonna bring back Connor make Barb interesting again get rid of those stupid armor lines lose that absurd crotch plate bring back Damien what the hell is going on with Steel these days is Kara a Red Lantern now or what? just snap Jason's neck before he goes back to his own book it'll be a mercy kill six loving dollars?! oh boy here we go with Superpsycho's red-eyed murderface again at least those misleading Silver Age covers were crazy in a fun way everyone here has the energy of a highschool yearbook photo on thorazine KILL ME :unsmigghh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Actually I think Raven's redesign is wicked awesome... for a hawkperson villain.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Was Taters posted:

Maybe he's the Gatman. I mean...

Ventriloquist is running the CIA and wanted his own Batman, it was all a big misunderstanding! Boy, is Dick's handler going to be sore at the next service review.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Luthor's look was based off of Telly Sevalas and therefore pretty strongly Grecian, which combined with his healthy tan caused some people to think he was supposed to be black back when Superman TAS first started. Not that there's anything wrong with that! </seinfeld>

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

TwoPair posted:

Ha ha holy poo poo you're kidding me. Green Lantern has almost become the new "A TITAN DIES" in terms of how predictable it is because things always get worse. Yet nobody ever dies or gets injured but redshirt lanterns. Kilowog and Mogo and Arisia (etc.) all make it through fine but the rest just keel over.

At this point the Guardians are less competent than Arkham's security team.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

goldenoreos posted:

Considering all the sales her comics have gotten, I think a-lot of people like her.

Somewhere in a dark unused WB backlot there's a warehouse full of Countdown and Joker's Daughter issues gathering dust.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

TwoPair posted:

I never realized how much I wanted Allred drawing Aquaman until seeing all those sea monsters on the Aquaman cover.

We need an Allred Aquaman sea adventure mini right the hell now.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

He's right about the nu52 being an ongoing Elseworlds without an ending, though.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Okay so, I know that technically shouldn't impossible, but you have incorrect opinions. Congrats, I guess.

I think this might even qualify as a failure of the Voight-Kampff test.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Teenage Fansub posted:

What did the comic name the males? I can't remember.

I don't know either, but how about "the Manazons"? :v:

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Catwoman has the Venom symbiote now?

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Shameless posted:

More than anything it's the Captain Marvel issue that I'm looking forward to. His little bits in Superman Beyond showed that Morrison totally gets the character and Cameron Stewart on art is just icing on the cake.

Yeah, this is one of those things that as soon as I heard about it, I realized it's been missing all my life.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

So BC is reporting that Bob Wayne's leaving DC

Assuming this is true, it would mean any significant changes for DC?

One down, two to go.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

And maybe he'll learn how to run, because dude's about to eat some serious asphalt on that cover.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Tynion's also ignoring characterizations to pander the fans (Tim and Dick's dynamics are totally different now and yet he keeps writing them like the N52 never happened). Guess that's my biggest gripe with him, he refuse to admit the changes brought at the characters by the N52.

Yeah, and what ever happened to New Coke anyway?

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

I miss the thing where J'onn was so big in the southern hemisphere he was nearly as popular as Superman south of the equator and looked up to by all peoples because his (extremely blatant) alien identity and shapeshifting powers made him a literal everyman hero to entire continents struggling for global recognition.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Rocksicles posted:

This makes me actually sad.

Sad because such finely aged cheese will never be tasted again?

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

MonsterEnvy posted:

I really like this. This is how he should have been in the main universe.

Dacap posted:

Also Captain Thunder is a way better name [over Shazam]

ImpAtom posted:

Thank god. That is exactly what I want from captain Marvel. I am super crazy goddamn hype for that story.

The phrase "pure and great and non-ironic" is something that should be indelibly connected to Captain Marvel.

MonsterEnvy posted:

I also hate the Shazam name because he should not be able to casually say it.

I am among friends. :unsmith: Maybe this'll end up becoming the groundwork for the movie that's been in development hell since forever.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Waterhaul posted:

This is basically what happens at the end of Final Crisis where the likes of Captain Carrot and his Zoo Crew are summoned to help defeat Mandrakk.

And isn't Captain Marvel straight-up paralleled to Superman when he's brought along with the army of Supermen by the Miracle Machine? Or was that when Nix Utoan brought his forces to the fight.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

That's not exactly true, anytime the lanterns get involved on the plot things go to poo poo. Depressive scenes still overweigh the tender moments on Injustice.

That doesn't invalidate what he said at all but keep trying your best to be the Anti-Life Equation of this forum.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

I can't wait to have the full Multiversity map in poster form.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Rhyno posted:

I know there's a promo version bi
It did they say its getting a retail edition?

I have no idea, just dreaming out loud.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

nevermind, misread the post

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

I want all of those in a calendar.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

JL3000 is the comic we need and the comic the New 52 deserves.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

redbackground posted:

Seems more like a Poison Ivy thing in general, but Swampy tends not to be so outwardly hostile (in the ST comics I have read).

I always thought of it like, Swamp Thing is plant-positive, Poison Ivy is human-negative.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

E the Shaggy posted:

Speaking of Injustice, is the Spectre The Joker???

Maybe, but even if not it's an amazing fakeout.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Baron Bifford posted:

LOL. What does Mr Sims think soldiers do anyway?

Yeah, not only does that not track with images of Cap leading the charge up Omaha Beach or parachuting deep into Nazi territory to liberate a POW camp, but throwing teenage Bucky under the killing machine bus to keep Cap squeaky clean is kinda hosed up.

Now I'm imagining a Batman flashback to the Dick Sprang era: "Publicly, I took on a teenage sidekick to give the city's youth a symbol of hope and a role model... but beyond that, I had to maintain the principle that Batman would never kill in the pursuit of justice. Batman would never kill." While Robin is snapping hoodlum necks and throwing henchmen off of rooftops.

McSpanky fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Nov 28, 2014

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

I laughed so much I almost forgot how loving stupid things get whenever writers try to hang lampshades on lovely tropes instead of just fixing them or working around them. And since Johns decided to helm an entire company-wide crossover about one of the oldest, hoariest tropes of the genre, it got really loving stupid.

McSpanky fucked around with this message at 12:43 on Dec 28, 2014

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Just curious, why people always complaints about the Robins but not about the Lanterns? Five years seem way too little for having 4 lanterns.

The five-year back history is a huge albatross on the neck of the New 52, generally and not just for Batman and GL. It applies for some characters and not others, things in the past happened or didn't depending on whether a writer wants them to build on them or make them an upcoming event to put their spin on them, anything goes.

The DCU's in a state of quantum history: an event can only be said to have definitively occurred in the specific moment that it is depicted on a page, then immediately returns to a probability matrix of having happened/not happened/yet to happen until the next reference.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Metal Loaf posted:

I think it might have been in reference to the story in the Titans book where he and Starfire get all the way to the altar on their wedding day, but before they can exchange vows, Raven shows up possessed by Trigon and kills the priest, and Dick calls the whole thing off (though I may well have my chronology mixed up there).

Oh, Titans :allears:

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Very telling that the N52 is completely absent.

Try to hide your perverse glee.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Yvonmukluk posted:

Oh goody, more dead parents!

Dead parents, new character has friction with the Titans, low power levels so they can dramatically level up, drawn-out heel/face turn drama, replaced a preexisting character for no reason, but it's okay because we kinda sorta closed the boob window! :rolleye: (p.s. the costume is worse in literally ever other way)

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

What my thread stablished what that RHATO wasn't the cup of tea of BSS regulars. Good thing that market goes beyond BSS isn't it?

The series keep selling and is good enough to survive after Convergence.

Like the market means poo poo about anything since it retreated from general to "enthusiast" audiences in the 80s.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

The N52 allowed for Jason to finally receive proper characterization

Save us all some trouble and just play sitcom canned laughter in your head whenever you type things like this.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Nobby posted:

There's a certain pop art appeal to those Convergence covers and I can see what they're going for...but something's off on the execution. It doesn't quite work.

That something might be the gently caress-ugly fade covering half the image?

e: or did I just miss :thejoke:

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

bobkatt013 posted:

Worse than Stryker?

Stryker is the breakout star of MK3 you philistine.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

While all of the above is true, I'm afraid any Stryker without a beer gut protruding through his lycra t-shirt and a baseball cap worn backwards is not indeed my Stryker.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

After all these years I still can't believe they made loving Mokap and Meat actual characters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

I used to be addicted to MK and I still can't remember who half the people on that page are. And I really don't wanna know what's going on with somebody feeling up Mileena and making her squeeze her own boob :stonk:

• Locked thread