Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Hey folks. Welcome to the brand new general DC Comics thread!

The Super Friends

Over two years past it's inception, our 35(?) currently running monthly comics still say "The New 52" on them, so I'd better explain what that means.

Back in 2011, Barry Allen (The Flash) ran really fast and mixed up continuity. Read about it in Flashpoint, or watch about it in Justice League: The Flashpoint Paradox.

So, Wonder Woman is Zeus' daughter and wasn't formed from clay! Wuh?
Superman never wore red shorts! Huh?
The original Green Lantern isn't old, but he is gay! It's true!
Batman is confusingly mostly the same! Okay!

It's all crazy and lots of folks just can't take it!
That's okay. These DC lunkheads get us all riled up with their poor decisions and practices all the time! We even have a thread dedicated to it: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3550798

But this thing is here to stay for the foreseeable future, so lets settle in and read/post about some superhero comics in a constructive thread. If you just can't do that, try that other one. It's fun.

Here are your currently published DC comics in handy categories. (accounting very near additions and cancellations)

JUSTICE LEAGUE
Justice League, Justice League United, Justice League 3000, Earth 2, Secret Origins, Worlds' Finest, Aquaman, Aquaman and The Others, The Flash, Green Arrow, Wonder Woman.

The Justice League are the titular big ol' team featured in the big ol' 'Justice League' book by big ol' Geoff Johns. It's perpetually sparking off Johns' endless events, so if you generally want to know what's up with the DCU, this is the comic.

'Justice League United' is taking over from the soon to be defunct 'Justice League of America'. It's written by Jeff (Animal Man, Green Arrow, Sweet Tooth) Lemire and set in Canada and Outer Space. Very exciting!

'Justice League 3000' is probably not long for this earth, but is a pretty entertaining and unique comic. By the hailed JLI writing duo of Keith Giffen and JM DeMatteis, with art by Howard Porter, who you know from Grant Morrison's old JLA run, give it at least a curious cursory glance.

'Earth 2' takes place on an alternate world with totally different takes on DC concepts and characters. Head over there if you'd like things shaken up a bit. Look forward to the inevitable Crisis event when worlds meet.

Other things of note: Aquaman has a brand new author in Jeff Parker, The Flash has his own thread right here (URL to come), Green Arrow got good at issue #17, Brian Azzarello and Cliff Chang are wrapping up their acclaimed Wonder Woman run soon. There are nasty rumors going around about who might succeed them. Cross your fingers.

BATMAN
Batman, Detective Comics, Batman Eternal, Batman and …, Batgirl, Batwing, Batwoman, Birds of Prey, Catwoman, Nightwing, Red Hood and The Outlaws, Harley Quinn.

The Batman thread has all you need to know!

SUPERMAN
Action Comics, Superman, Superman Unchained, Superboy, Supergirl.

The whole Super Family have their own thread here! (url to come)

GREEN LANTERN
Green Lantern, Green Lantern Corps, Green Lantern: New Guardians, Red Lanterns, Larfleeze, Sinestro.

Here's the GL thread (URL to come)

NB: 'Red Lanterns' is DC's most improved book by far. Read Charles Soule comics.

DARK
Justice League Dark, Constantine, TOS: The Phantom Stranger, TOS: Pandora, Swamp Thing, Animal Man.

The side of the DCU involved with the occult and magic and spooky stuff.

'Swamp Thing' is a Soule book.

'Animal Man' has an issue to go and should by all rights be dropped from the list, but I can't do it.

THE EDGE
All-Star Western, Cancelled Books

Keep on ridin' the edge, Hex.

SLASH
Batman/Superman, Superman/Wonder Woman*

Do you put these under JUSTICE LEAGUE or what?
*Soule book

DCU EVENTS
Forever Evil, Futures End.

'Forever Evil' is Geoff's current event book which will soon be done!
'Futures End' is an upcoming weekly, year long comic in the '52'/'Countdown' style, set five years in the post apocalyptic DC future. There are OMACs all over the damned place and only Frankenstein, Firestorm, Batman Beyond and others can save the day! Jeff Lemire, Brian Azzarello, Kieth Giffen and Dan Jurgens are doin' it.

Of course, Detective Comics Comics are 200 years old so feel free to talk about their titles from any old continuity you wish.

And finally, nobody cares how few DC comics you're reading.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Feb 28, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Doom Patrol and Plastic Man (yeah yeah. He was on that JLI TV screen), too.
I am way not into Forever Evil*, but as long as those get to be neat books, cheers Geoff. Now get on with my Shazam! series.

*Actually, the JL side issues have been fun. Mahnke and Reis instead of Finch sure helps.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Feb 26, 2014

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Dario the Wop posted:

I've yet to see any sort of movement on the "League trapped inside the Firestorm matrix" idea. Did I miss a tie-in?

That's in Matt Kindt's JLA.

Why would the Plastic Man origin not be understandable? Gangster named Eel gets toxic waste tipped on him and goes gooey.
It's not crazy brilliant, but you could start a Plastic Man book off that.

Anti-Monitor?

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Feb 26, 2014

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I haven't read the new ASW yet, but I think it says in future solicits that he's going to be fighting himself, so I guess he ported back to before he ported out the first time and the clean face is to help distinguish between the Hexes.
I hope it's all Back To The Future 2 type shenanigans and in the end scar Hex just shoots our Hex dead, misses meeting Booster and is never the wiser about a future world.
e: Except for his double's weird abandoned in the past future girlfriend.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Feb 27, 2014

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

AW MAN!

I was sure Hex was somehow blessed from on high to avoid cancellation at all odds.

e: Futures End's pool of talent, bar one is pretty damned solid. I'd have some hope, folks. It stars Frankenstein after all.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Feb 27, 2014

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

ElNarez posted:

This cancellation is itself cancelled. By which I mean we get more Jonah Hex.

YEE HAW!

Indie Rocktopus posted:

Does Moz have anything coming up? DC or otherwise? Given the way Batman Inc. ended, it seemed like he's just as fed up with DC corporate work as he was with Marvel. (I wasn't in love with Happy, but the man's earned enough good will I'll give anything he writes a shot.)

He's got three things coming for DC/Vert. A big out of continuity event called Multiversity, the Wonder Woman Earth One OGN and a new Seaguy.
Also a new Image limited series with Burnham.

I recall he said after Wonder Woman that he's retiring from corporate franchised superheroes.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Feb 28, 2014

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I thought Johns/Frank's Shazam! stuff was great. I'd really like that continuing series sometime this year.

ImpAtom posted:

Johns is one of the worst Captain Marvel writers I've ever seen. I recently went on a Captain Marvel comic binge and it just drove home to me how bad Johns is at understanding the character or getting why they work when compared to basically any of the other good writers on the character. There are a thousand things you can do with Captain Marvel that are more interesting than Johns bullshit.

What exactly was so bullshit? I just found a really solid and fun story in there. It was even a little heartwarming.

e: Sure, maybe it wasn't the best Captain Marvel story you've read. I'm pretty ignorant about past runs, but I'm way stumped about what in there could cause any large amount of vitriol.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Mar 1, 2014

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Justice League Canada's hidden character was revealed in Previews Magazine.
http://dcwomenkickingass.tumblr.com/post/78322521866/first-look-at-new-cree-superhero-in-lemires-justice

She's Cree (Native American/First Nations), inspired by a teenage activist who passed away, and that's all we know.

e:

Senor Candle posted:

They are assuming she is based off that person because she is wearing blue?

Added a link to Lemire's interview where he says she's the new character's inspiration.
I'd never seen that, or it being referenced whenever anyone was talking about the mystery Canadian, even though it's from October.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Mar 2, 2014

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

pretend to care posted:

What's the "best" JL book right now? Did they all reboot at #1 with N52? I'm fairly lost.

Basically. Green Lantern and Batman carried over a lot more backstory than the rest so that Geoff Johns and Grant Morrison could finish their overarching stories.

United should be good (It's by Jeff Lemire, who's been doing Animal Man, which is superb), but the best stuff hasn't been in the group books or events.
If you're on the ground floor, I'd cover the big heroes from 'Wonder Woman', 'Batman' and 'Action Comics' (Grant Morrison's 1-18, then Greg Pak's 25+. The middle's baloney)

Zakmonster posted:

Swamp Thing is also awesome, because Scott Snyder.

I think Soule's is even better.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Mar 3, 2014

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Dan Didio and Kieth Giffen are about to revive an "old cult favorite."
http://www.bleedingcool.com/2014/03/03/a-new-cult-favourite-comic-from-dan-didio-and-keith-giffen/

Hey. OMAC was pretty fun. This'll be cancelled in eight issues anyhow.
Hopefully it's not the inevitable New Gods attempt.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Mar 4, 2014

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

MAZAHS!

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Chaltab posted:

Holy poo poo is Krypto a wolf now or something? Does the annual require familiarity with the series up to this point?

Check Action #13. It's a pretty much stand-alone Halloween special too, if you don't care about that whole run.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Y'know Clint 'died' in the last Hawkeye too.

Them bow'n'arrow boys'll be missed :(

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I dunno about that list.
Forever People, I could definitely believe from the OMAC team, but I'm not seeing Harper getting a series on top of Batman Eternal.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Well, Green Team did approach the Titans with an offer to fund them at the end of that comic. That's definitely an in to get a new young team book in after cancelling the others. Maybe if the title has the word Justice in it, it'll work this time :shrug:

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Mar 7, 2014

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I would not recommend the One Million omnibus unless you're really curious about how the writers and artists of the time played with the concept. I didn't read all of em, but I assume most didn't feed into Morrison's story in any meaningful way.
If I recall, all Morrison wrote were the four issues, the JLA one and a Secret Files and Origins epilogue or something like that later.
Does your thing include the Earth Two story with Quitely? Ya need that.

e: According to Wikipedia, the small collection collects 1M 1-4 and the Green Lantern, Resurrection Man, Starman and Superman: The Man of Tomorrow issues. That's weird.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Mar 8, 2014

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Hrmm. I might have to get that omni now.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Kevin Smith is doing a Batman 66/Green Hornet digital comic.
http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/2014/03/11/kevin-smith-batman-green-hornet-1960s-comic/6254327/

And if Bleeding Cool's hot insider scoops are to be believed, the Didio/Giffen joint is The Forever People. http://www.bleedingcool.com/2014/03/11/dan-didio-and-keith-giffen-bring-us-the-forever-people/

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

The art is gorgeous, but I was hoping for hippies :/

e: Full solicit is up.
INFINITY MAN AND THE FOREVER PEOPLE #1

On Sale 6/11
U.S. Price: 2.99
Written by: Keith Giffen, Dan Didio
Art by: Scott Koblish, Keith Giffen

Cover by: Scott Koblish, Keith Giffen
Variant cover by: Howard Porter
Four of the best students from New Genesis arrive on Earth to study and aid in the advancement of humanity – but they soon discover a darker purpose to their mission: a threat so great that it may bring the multiverse itself to its knees! The only thing that stands between them and total destruction is the mysterious entity known as the Infinity Man!

Don’t miss the start of this new series by Dan DiDio and Keith Giffen, the team that brought you the over-the-top adventures of O.M.A.C.!

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Mar 11, 2014

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

They were New Genesis flower children against Darkseid. I dunno about these guys. Hope its fun :)
Yeah. Buy this http://www.amazon.com/Jack-Kirbys-F...h+world+omnibus

bobkatt013 posted:

I would love to see Allred do a Fourth World series.

Me too, but Giffen is pretty great at the Kirby aping.
e: I'm reading Solo now and Paul Pope's OMAC segment just has me dreaming about them relaunching all the 4th World series in a big push with all the best Kirby influenced dudes and it would all sell and lollipops and rainbows.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Mar 11, 2014

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

God drat Manapul's Det.

Aqua Thing.

e: Technically Vertigo, but FBP's cover is amazing.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Mar 17, 2014

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Ray Palmer is making his N52 debut on Future's End

He was in Frankenstein.

edit:

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Aaand NuLobo is back so Red Hood's April cover is either a red herring or DC is loving insane :psyduck:

That was the cover with old Lobo, right? They're both around unless I missed something. The new one is on Earth to chase the old one (well, in space for United)
I think a Lobo/Lobo versus or team up book could be loads of fun.

ee:

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

He did? Then why the media circus when they introduced Atom/Atomica?

He was just a scientist there. I'm guessing he get's pushed into superheroism five years from now and warps back to be our Atom along with BManBeyond.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Mar 17, 2014

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

E the Shaggy posted:

Hold on a minute D_T, you forgot to post the super classy cover for Red Hood!

Never change DC, never change.

At this point, you'd want something else out of Red Hood? Cheese it right up. I like the paintbrush filtered photo of a sunset as a background.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Animal Man sale
https://www.comixology.com/Animal-Man-Sale/page/1195
The original series to #65, Lemire's series and a pile of guest appearances including the first ten issues of Justice League Europe.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Shazam's great. It was a backup worth buying some very average issues of Justice League for.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Rhyno posted:

Also most of what I'm reading is Marvel.

Fascinating.

https://www.comixology.com/Same-Day-as-Print-3-19/list/1469
Animal Man's finale is still under pre-order while the rest are out. How cruel :( Hmm. Never mind you can buy and read it despite that. Time to weep.

edit: Speaking of Jeff Lemire...
http://www.bleedingcool.com/2014/03/18/greg-paks-batmansuperman-10-is-bumped-by-jeff-lemires-batmansuperman-10/

quote:

As recently with Batgirl, Batman/Superman is going through some changes.

Batman/Superman #10 will be written by Jeff Lemire, with art by Karl Kerschl and Scott Hepburn and a cover by Cameron Stewart.

"In this stand-alone story, a microscopic threat invades the body of The Dark Knight, and it’s up to The Man of Steel and Dr. Ray Palmer to shrink down and eliminate the danger. But what they find will shock you! Get ready for big sci-fi thrills and high-adventure fun as only BATMAN/SUPERMAN can present!"

The solicited story by Greg Pak and Jae Lee, will now be bumped to May’s Batman/Superman #11. And that story by the same creative team bumped to June with Batman/Superman #12.

Neat!

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 10:01 on Mar 19, 2014

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I thought Animal Man was kinda weak. I guess it's brave that they stuck to Cliff being dead (unless there's something to read into that spider), but it was really just a recap, sweet as Maxine telling it and Lemire's art was.

This was sure left dangling. Who the heck were these two? Didn't matter?

edit: Also, Maxine could've been a cool kid hero, and I guess that cat in the Justice League Dark teaser can't be Socks. Ah well.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Mar 19, 2014

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I'm surprised at how little noise there was when she was depicted as a mass child murderer in the villain month issue.

Edit: Which was from the upcoming Suicide Squad writer and not Palmiotti/Conner who's own light-hearted series was one or two months away. I'd have been a pretty devastated seeing that if I was them.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Mar 20, 2014

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Waterhaul posted:

Gary Frank was not the right choice for the book

Really? I loved the expressions he put on Captain Shazam's big dumb face.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

The new series has none of that. There's the odd moment of cartoon violence where she'll bazooka or behead one of the assassins that occasionally pop up since someone put a hit out on her, but mostly it's kinda sitcom-y with her managing an apartment building full of odd characters and joining a roller derby league and yadda yadda.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Mar 20, 2014

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

a new war-themed comic will be released on July

Third time's the charm!

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Thanks for the spoiler! You're wonderful! :)

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Jeff Lemire is doing Teen Titans Earth One with Terry Dodson.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=51766 <-Didio interview.
http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=51760 <- Lemire interview.

Morrison's one is still about a year off. :(

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

I've liked what Palmiotti has been doing on All Star Western but gently caress him by fridging Gina. I can see the reasons for her death but still gently caress him, she was a great character.

:argh:

Yo. I just read the issue.
How long have you been reading comics? If a character collapses on the last page and is declared 'dead' by someone as a cliffhanger, 99% of the time you do not need to worry.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Mar 28, 2014

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Is Earth One a shared universe?

e:

Angry Walrus posted:

the first issue.

Earth One books are graphic novels. I dunno if they have commitments to make sequels. Lemire said he enjoyed that it had an end. I definitely don't see Grant hovering for second WW.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 09:30 on Mar 28, 2014

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Speaking of Lemire, more on his Justice League United character

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2014/03/28/meet-equiniox-the-new-cree-member-of-the-justice-league/
http://www.cbc.ca/news/arts/equinox-new-cree-teen-superhero-joins-dc-comics-lineup-1.2588623
http://www.cbc.ca/player/News/Arts%20and%20Entertainment/ID/2445157268/ <-- video interview showing some pages.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

That loving sucks.
Look at Stargirl's abs. In the line art we're obviously seeing the left and middle indentations with the right one past the edge of the character, but the second colorist joins them at the top turning it into a weird little muscle column.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Well, I'm buying it because Pak's run has been fantastic so far.

Is there a way to see an Action preview there? Clicking 'launch viewer' just takes me to the Det pages.
e:nm Found them on DC's blog.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Apr 1, 2014

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Veg posted:

Because, you see, DC.

Why are we complaining about getting a jumbo sized trade?

e: The Count Vertigo story would only be four issues, split off.
ee: A thing to be mad about is that GA 25 is probably only going to appear in a Zero Year compilation.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Apr 2, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

She's a totally different character in the mainline comics. Earth One is like their Ultimate Universe, but only coming out in graphic novels.

I ain't readin' no Lobdell Teen Titans, so here's her current bio under the 'Post-Flashpoint' section.
http://www.comicvine.com/raven/4005-3584/

A little different.

Apparently Aquaman & The Others and frickin' Stormwatch #30 have Futures End stuff about them this week. You know you wanna get that final issue of a ruined comic!

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 09:34 on Apr 2, 2014

• Locked thread