Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

RandallODim posted:

This is totally my poo poo.

I'm very aroused! In all seriousness Gambit is my favorite X-men character!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

Heavy Metal posted:

I'm very aroused! In all seriousness Gambit is my favorite X-men character!

I mean I wouldn't say he's my favorite, but I definitely had a Gambit figure with an actual cloth coat in my youth, and I occasionally feel a pang of sadness that I have no idea what became of it.

Also it seems like they're maintaining his 'doing stealing' suit from his recent(ish) solo series, which was a great costume, so that makes me happy.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

I asked my Den of Geek editor if I could write about the entire history of Agent X and he was like sure so here it is.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Gavok posted:

I asked my Den of Geek editor if I could write about the entire history of Agent X and he was like sure so here it is.

I liked the idea about giving Finesse the UDON Taskmaster costume, though really they just need to make that his default

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Gavok posted:

Is Gail Simone's run really considered great? I thought most everyone hated it.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Nah, it's good.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

X-O posted:

Nah, it's good.

I mean, it's okay but I really thought it was not well regarded.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Rhyno posted:

I mean, it's okay but I really thought it was not well regarded.
I've always heard Simone's run is one of the bright spots.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Yeah, I mean some people hated it because woman, but for the most part it's considered one of the classic runs that put Deadpool on the map.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Yeah, in my experience it's always been nearly universally praised as being a great run, and its influence has been more pronounced than you would assume from length/positioning in publication history.

IIRC it was one of the things that got people really excited about Simone at the time.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Lurdiak posted:

Yeah, I mean some people hated it because woman, but for the most part it's considered one of the classic runs that put Deadpool on the map.

Really? I don't think I have ever heard it talked about in a positive way.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Rhyno posted:

Wait, did you think we were talking about you this whole time?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

redbackground posted:

Wait, did you think we were talking about you this whole time?

Psh, nobody talks about me positively either!

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Rhyno posted:

You've never seen that panel about yellow boxes posted over and over on the internet?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

For a long time people used to say the only Deadpool worth reading was the Kelly and Simone runs. So yeah I'd say it's pretty well regarded.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Lurdiak posted:

You've never seen that panel about yellow boxes posted over and over on the internet?

One panel does not equal a good run. Daniel way has at least 4 good panels in his run.

X-O posted:

For a long time people used to say the only Deadpool worth reading was the Kelly and Simone runs. So yeah I'd say it's pretty well regarded.

I've honestly never seen that said about her work ever. Even recently I've seen it said that the Posehn/Duggan run is the first readable DP run since Kelley's.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...
I knew Cable & Deadpool was somewhat divisive over quality, but yeah, chalk me up as another who though of Simone's run as well-regarded.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Rhyno posted:

One panel does not equal a good run. Daniel way has at least 4 good panels in his run.

I've honestly never seen that said about her work ever. Even recently I've seen it said that the Posehn/Duggan run is the first readable DP run since Kelley's.
Even Way's run was at least entertaining for good chunks up till the early #20s.

that's right

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Rhyno posted:

I'm talking about that's what people were saying in like 2004. Today sure, it's maybe the fourth best run on the title at best. But back then the only Deadpool even fans of the character really said stood out were the Kelly and Simone runs. And her run is still well regarded today. A lot of people think it's the best stuff she ever wrote.

redbackground posted:

Even Way's run was at least entertaining for good chunks up till the early #20s.

that's right

Yeah Way's run was perfectly fine until about a year and half in where he obviously got bored with it.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

X-O posted:

Yeah, this. All I ever heard was good things said about Simone's run. Deadpool/Agent X and Villains United basically gave Simone a ton of good will that took years to be torn down.

Shawn
Feb 6, 2003

I yiffed two people at once and all I got was laughed at.
Rhyno just hates Simone and running her off the board wasn't enough for him. You missed him slyly saying he's never heard anyone praise her Secret Six, Birds of Pray or anything else she's written that has been clearly praised.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Gail Simone is the only writer other than Grant Morrison to ever write a good take on Prometheus.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Shawn posted:

Rhyno just hates Simone and running her off the board wasn't enough for him. You missed him slyly saying he's never heard anyone praise her Secret Six, Birds of Pray or anything else she's written that has been clearly praised.

1. I had nothing to do with running her off the board. 2. I was referring to her DP work as I very much enjoyed her BoP run but hey, keep putting words in my mouth.

Shawn
Feb 6, 2003

I yiffed two people at once and all I got was laughed at.

X-O posted:

Rhyno posted:

I've honestly never seen that said about her work ever.

Maybe I misread this as only being about her DP work, but the use of "ever" seems to indicate her whole catalog. I apologize if that was not your intent, and for misattributing Sgt Rock's actions to you. But the whole incredulous "I can't believe people like this!" certainly seems like Lurdiak/CharlestheHammer tier poo poo posting.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

:(

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I have never said that. I can believe anyone likes anything because people are dumb.

I have also never poo poo posted your sources are inaccurate sir.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Gavok, your article has torn this thread apart.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Are we just randomly calling people out at this point?

In that case, gently caress Gavok!

PS - I was kidding, Gavok. I love your articles and I give a great handy.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Pope Corky the IX posted:

gently caress Gavok!

This is legit good advice.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Everyone seems to think Sgt Rock drove her off because he burned some comics in his sink. She loved that and stuck around for a few weeks after. It was several other posters (most of which are long gone) who actually drove her away.

Scuba Trooper
Feb 25, 2006

The only thing I remember about it was her being under constant threat of probation because she'd always sign her posts

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

hup posted:

The only thing I remember about it was her being under constant threat of probation because she'd always sign her posts

I believe she did get probated and that was the last straw for her. A BSSer saw her at a con some months later and she had nothing nice to say about her experience.

darthzeta88
May 31, 2013

by Pragmatica
I only have enough money to buy one comic atm.... Millionaire with a mouth series looks terrible is it just misleading? Or should I get Deadpool and cable split second like my heart tells me?

Heathen
Sep 11, 2001

I'm calling out Gavok because he picked Posehn/Duggan over Kelly. gently caress you, Gavok. I dare you to read Spider-Man / Deadpool and not love it more than the regular Deadpool.

Someone asked recently which writers nail which character's voices. Kelly for Deadpool.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

darthzeta88 posted:

I only have enough money to buy one comic atm.... Millionaire with a mouth series looks terrible is it just misleading? Or should I get Deadpool and cable split second like my heart tells me?

Depends on if you like Nicieza at his most incomprehensible. If you're like me and you said yes then get it. It's ridiculous.

Heathen posted:

I'm calling out Gavok because he picked Posehn/Duggan over Kelly. gently caress you, Gavok. I dare you to read Spider-Man / Deadpool and not love it more than the regular Deadpool.

Someone asked recently which writers nail which character's voices. Kelly for Deadpool.

I stand with Gavok.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I'm in the extreme minority of thinking Posehn and Duggan's Deadpool got kinda bad once Dracula and his bride got involved.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Heathen posted:

And I'm calling you out for slash-mark inconsistency!

While Spider-Man/Deadpool is currently better than the current Duggan storyline with Sabretooth, it still doesn't stand up against Good, Bad and Ugly.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Lurdiak posted:

I'm in the extreme minority of thinking Posehn and Duggan's Deadpool got kinda bad once Dracula and his bride got involved.

Yeah kind of agree. It wasn't bad just... a lot less compelling.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I think the wife stuff has been fine, it just seems like it's taken a backseat to the other stories being told and hasn't really been relevant since like, the second or third arc after the marriage. It feels like it's building towards something, maybe, but the payoff just hasn't come yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
Don't tell Gavok but I found the perfect BSSSS gift for him ssssssshhh:

• Locked thread