Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Gavok posted:

So the current storyline right now is that Deadpool is going after Sabretooth because he thinks he's responsible for the death of his parents. Obviously he isn't, but there is the whole thing about Sabretooth being responsible for the death of Copycat. Usually that part of their past is swept under the rug, but she's a bit of a bigger deal thanks to the movie and she appeared an awful lot in flashbacks in the Deadpool wedding issue. There's also the plot point that a lot of Deadpool's adventures never actually happened and were really part of Butler loving with his head.

I'm wondering if part of this story is going to outright say that the Return to Weapon X storyline from Frank Tieri's run never actually happened. Copycat never died and is in fact still out there.

I thought they hinted/outright stated that Copycat was still alive in the wedding issue?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

bobkatt013 posted:

I thought they hinted/outright stated that Copycat was still alive in the wedding issue?

That's what wiki says, but it's a misreading of when those stories take place. The first wedding flashback story (where Deadpool has married a sock puppet) is supposed to take place right after Circle Chase, the original Deadpool miniseries. Otherwise, the last time she shows up in the different flashbacks is the Frank Tieri one, which takes place shortly before she's killed.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Spider-Man and Deadpool is a really good series too. Joe Kelly can still write the hell out of both characters.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Has anyone checked out Mercs For Money yet? I kindof don't care for it as it is written by someone I don't know. But after the 25th anniversary issue, I'm liking the side characters more. I don't have any hopes for the comic however, and still have trauma from getting all the Deadpool comics (from the Deadpool, Merc With A Mouth, Team-Up, Corps phase).

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

IUG posted:

Has anyone checked out Mercs For Money yet? I kindof don't care for it as it is written by someone I don't know. But after the 25th anniversary issue, I'm liking the side characters more. I don't have any hopes for the comic however, and still have trauma from getting all the Deadpool comics (from the Deadpool, Merc With A Mouth, Team-Up, Corps phase).

It's by Cullen Bunn, who has written a ton of Deadpool minis. He used to be pretty bad, but he got over the hump and writes some quality stuff these days.

I personally dig the Mercs for Money status quo. It's basically the Deadpool version of Batman Inc crossed with Reign of Supermen. At the very least, it's way better than the last time they did Reign of Supermen with Deadpool.

Deadpool's in a pretty great place creatively right now, unlike the Deadpool Corps days. Duggan's writing two of his comics, Kelly's doing another, Bunn is doing the minis, Nicieza just did a digital mini and Sims has a graphic novel on the way.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Yeah, Mercs for Money is actually really good. Couple that with the backups in the most recent Anniversary issue of Deadpool and the stuff Duggan has been doing with them before that I'm way more invested in all those characters now. Especially Solo and Stingray (who I always thought had a rad character design and was underused because his powerset is boring).

Speaking of Solo, how about that revelation about him and Deadpool? I did not see that coming at all. For those that didn't read it: The reason Deadpool is so popular is that Solo was trying to dress up as Deadpool to earn more money as a merc because Deadpool is the most well paid merc out there. One of his battles ended up on TV and whatever went down it was the thing that turned Deadpool into one of most popular heroes on the planet. So all the fame and money Deadpool has right now is because of Solo.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

X-O posted:

Speaking of Solo, how about that revelation about him and Deadpool? I did not see that coming at all. For those that didn't read it: The reason Deadpool is so popular is that Solo was trying to dress up as Deadpool to earn more money as a merc because Deadpool is the most well paid merc out there. One of his battles ended up on TV and whatever went down it was the thing that turned Deadpool into one of most popular heroes on the planet. So all the fame and money Deadpool has right now is because of Solo.

Is this something that happened during the time gap after Secret Wars?

Codependent Poster posted:

Spider-Man and Deadpool is a really good series too. Joe Kelly can still write the hell out of both characters.

I hope him and McGuiness do some solo Deadpool again sometime too, at least a mini or something. From a preview it looks like he turns down his wife in bed? Are we sure this is in-character? Doesn't remind me much of the early Kelly Deadpool. I'd dig something closer in tone to their 90s stuff.

In general I'm not too into the goodie-two-shoes not killing as much direction, or him being more integrated with the Marvel universe at large. To me Deadpool is at it's best when allowed to do it's own thing.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Feb 13, 2016

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Heavy Metal posted:

Is this something that happened during the time gap after Secret Wars?

Yes, because Deadpool #1 opens with Deadpool already being basically the biggest superhero on the planet. The flashback in #7 has to be set during that time period.

Heavy Metal posted:

I hope him and McGuiness do some solo Deadpool again sometime too, at least a mini or something. From a preview it looks like he turns down his wife in bed? Are we sure this is in-character?

That preview ends where it ends for a reason.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

X-O posted:

Yes, because Deadpool #1 opens with Deadpool already being basically the biggest superhero on the planet. The flashback in #7 has to be set during that time period.

That preview ends where it ends for a reason.

Well ok, that's reassuring. They should've put that on the cover like Hack/Slash did one time "Cassie gets laid this issue!". Pretty solid marketing.

I haven't checked out any Marvel from the latest #1s, other than previews and whatnot. Looking forward to catching up on the Pool etc. The past month or so I was reading through Kelly's run and Cable and Deadpool etc, fun fun stuff. I had only read bits and pieces before, and Simone's stuff (plus Agent X).

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Cable and Deadpool was actually Fabian Nicieza not Kelly. He just wrapped up a fun digital comic sequel about them called Split Second. It's the most Nicieza thing I've ever read though. It's near impenetrable continuity based storytelling with a potentially very confusing narrative style and tons of jokes. Pretty much peak Nicieza. For those that get it like me I'd imagine they think it's great. Other people will be left scratching their heads and wondering why this story needed to be told.

EDIT: Oops, I misread your post. I thought you said Kelly's run on Cable and Deadpool. Well point stands either way.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

X-O posted:

Cable and Deadpool was actually Fabian Nicieza not Kelly. He just wrapped up a fun digital comic sequel about them called Split Second. It's the most Nicieza thing I've ever read though. It's near impenetrable continuity based storytelling with a potentially very confusing narrative style and tons of jokes. Pretty much peak Nicieza. For those that get it like me I'd imagine they think it's great. Other people will be left scratching their heads and wondering why this story needed to be told.

Yep I know that's not by Kelly, bit of a run-on sentence by me there.

Random note, it's interesting how Deadpool evolved over the years. He was almost Lobo-ish in ways in the early Kelly books. He has a huge jaw, punches people through walls for sitting in his seat etc. Deadpool comes across as less "macho" or something these days. I don't mind the change, just interesting.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

After reading so many Spider-Man/Deadpool crossover stories, I think Kelly really gets the dynamic. On one hand, Deadpool completely, genuinely admires Spider-Man. On the other hand, Spider-Man's tendency to barely tolerate Deadpool causes him to see Wade as just a crazed nuisance and barely a human being to begin with. Deadpool catches onto this and it hurts him.

It's a lot like how things used to be between Deadpool and Wolverine, only he expects that kind of abuse because that's how Wolverine is. Having Spider-Man talk down at him and, at best, patronize him stings him because it's Spider-Man saying it. Even before they got along, Captain America at least respected Wade while thinking he was a nut.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

The end of the second issue of Spider-Man and Deadpool shows that yeah, this is Joe Kelly definitely writing Deadpool. I don't think anyone writes a scary Deadpool as well as Kelly, though Duggan is close.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Gavok posted:

After reading so many Spider-Man/Deadpool crossover stories, I think Kelly really gets the dynamic. On one hand, Deadpool completely, genuinely admires Spider-Man. On the other hand, Spider-Man's tendency to barely tolerate Deadpool causes him to see Wade as just a crazed nuisance and barely a human being to begin with. Deadpool catches onto this and it hurts him.

It's a lot like how things used to be between Deadpool and Wolverine, only he expects that kind of abuse because that's how Wolverine is. Having Spider-Man talk down at him and, at best, patronize him stings him because it's Spider-Man saying it. Even before they got along, Captain America at least respected Wade while thinking he was a nut.

I feel like it'll be satisfying when Spider-Man has his moment like Logan did.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
So re-reading Duggan and Posehn's run and I don't think there's enough appreciation of how many plot balls are in the air at once in this book. Like it's some Claremont/Hickman level of set-up. Just off the top of my head and in no particular order here's the hooks that haven't been resolved yet:

- Ellie's X-Gene
- The painted over picture in Deadpool's mind that Zenpool finds (maybe related to his parents' death which is being resolved right now so this might not count)
- Shiklah's demon army and world domination plans
- The knife with Wolverine's blood on it
- What else Madcap has done while impersonating Deadpool
- Is Madcap really dead
- Why is Wade still having memory problems with things that have recently happened but presumably without taking Tabula Rasa anymore?
- Vetis' returning (this has been mentioned too many times to not be a thing)
- Everything from the 2099 issue

And I'm probably still missing some!

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I think it's fair to say that at least some of those will probably never be resolved. It seems having a convoluted history with parts that don't match up is now integral to Deadpool's character.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Blockhouse posted:

And I'm probably still missing some!

The angelic woman that visits him in the first arc, which I imagine to be his mother.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

If I can poo poo up the thread for a moment. How come they keep saying Deadpool is pansexual etc, but he only ever seems romantically or sexually interested in chicks? And in the books he's generally been your standard pervy straight guy kind of character, going after various women.

I'd be cool with a bisexual Deadpool, and I know he makes jokes of such etc. But if the character is always written as being interested in women, at the end of the day is the character really pansexual? Or is it just lip service? Ryan Reynolds for example has talked this topic.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Feb 17, 2016

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Gavok posted:

The angelic woman that visits him in the first arc, which I imagine to be his mother.

I totally forgot. Did Duggan explicitly say it wasn't Death?

Heavy Metal posted:

If I can poo poo up the thread for a moment. How come they keep saying Deadpool is pansexual etc, but he only ever seems romantically or sexually interested in chicks? And in the books he's generally been your standard pervy straight guy kind of character, going after various women.

I'd be cool with a bisexual Deadpool, and I know he makes jokes of such etc. But if the character is always written as being interested in women, at the end of the day is the character really pansexual? Or is it just lip service? Ryan Reynolds for example has talked this topic.

He's only ever had relationships with women but he's pretty explicitly attracted to men too. It'd be hard to do more with that at the moment because he's, you know, married but Duggan's made his stance clear.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Blockhouse posted:

I totally forgot. Did Duggan explicitly say it wasn't Death?

He's only ever had relationships with women but he's pretty explicitly attracted to men too. It'd be hard to do more with that at the moment because he's, you know, married but Duggan's made his stance clear.

I know he's said Deadpool is pansexual, and Ryan Reynolds was saying it'd be nice to see Deadpool have a boyfriend in a later movie. Though, did Joe Kelly ever mention that for example? And if it never really goes anywhere in Duggan's run and a later writer also doesn't go anywhere with it, did the pansexual tree fall and make any sounds?

Has he kissed men in a non-comedic scene for example? Or ever had a boyfriend in his life that we know of? I also wonder why they go for pansexual instead of bisexual, though I did recently hear about a documentary on people sexually attracted to cars.

You know how online when people discuss superpowers, they ask about "feats"? I'm looking to hear about Deadpool's gay feats.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Heavy Metal posted:

I know he's said Deadpool is pansexual, and Ryan Reynolds was saying it'd be nice to see Deadpool have a boyfriend in a later movie. Though, did Joe Kelly ever mention that for example? And if it never really goes anywhere in Duggan's run and a later writer also doesn't go anywhere with it, did the pansexual tree fall and make any sounds?

Has he kissed men in a non-comedic scene for example? Or ever had a boyfriend in his life that we know of? I also wonder why they go for pansexual instead of bisexual, though I did recently hear about a documentary on people sexually attracted to cars.

You know how online when people discuss superpowers, they ask about "feats"? I'm looking to hear about Deadpool's gay feats.

Deadpool has repeatedly had gay dreams about Cable. On a more serious tone, lots of people come out very late in their lives, especially if they're not 100% gay but rather fall somewhere more ambiguous on the spectrum of sexuality.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Lurdiak posted:

Deadpool has repeatedly had gay dreams about Cable. On a more serious tone, lots of people come out very late in their lives, especially if they're not 100% gay but rather fall somewhere more ambiguous on the spectrum of sexuality.

Hey I've got gay friends. And hold on now, there's nothing inherently gay about gay dreams, especially if Cable is in them. Hey this isn't about me, I'm talking about the prose here. Any gay stuff not played for the comedy?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I didn't mean to imply anything.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Lurdiak posted:

I didn't mean to imply anything.

I mean if the Destro doll's clothes weren't supposed to come off, why does he come with clothes that come off. But this isn't about me.

(edit: my editor is telling me this bit isn't working, hey this isn't about me by the way. Deadpool folks)

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Feb 18, 2016

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Heavy Metal posted:

I mean if the Destro doll's clothes weren't supposed to come off, why does he come with clothes that come off. But this isn't about me.

(edit: my editor is telling me this bit isn't working, hey this isn't about me by the way. Deadpool folks)

Chris Sims parachute account spotted.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Gaz-L posted:

Chris Sims parachute account spotted.

At least I know when my comedy is bombing, we could all learn a little something from the Deadpool. I'm just a guy asking some questions here

Anyhoo, here's an article about the topic, "Pansexual Antihero or Gay-Baiting Jokester?"

http://www.towleroad.com/2016/02/deadpool-pansexual-antihero-gay-baiting-jokester/

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Feb 18, 2016

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Seeing as Deadpool is currently married to a horrific monster (who, true, can also look like a hot chick) I'd say that falls into a pretty non-standard relationship.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

That's actually pretty standard for superheroes.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Vince MechMahon posted:

Seeing as Deadpool is currently married to a horrific monster (who, true, can also look like a hot chick) I'd say that falls into a pretty non-standard relationship.

She generally looks hot not horrific, and is notably female. His sex with her was already mentioned on this very page.

I think it's just there's a potential for him to have a relationship with a guy if they want to cross that bridge, but I guess it hasn't happened as of yet. So it can seem a bit overstated to tote him as a notable example of a pansexual character, until he's getting up to some pansexual hijinks.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Feb 19, 2016

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I always demand to see someone sucking a dick before I believe them if they tell me that they're gay.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Pope Corky the IX posted:

before I believe them if they tell me that they're gay.

Has Deadpool said that? It would be interesting to note examples of him talking about his sexuality other than jokes. For example it is interesting to see how a character evolves, is it fair to say this wasn't part of his character in the Joe Kelly 90s days? Why so negative on talking about this aspect of the character?

For example he has said he's not into dudes when written by Daniel Way, at least that's a line in the video game. As juvenile as that line may be, it's an example. He hit on a chick who said she's only into women, and he said me too or something like that. And it's a joke so it doesn't mean anything necessarily. It's just a topic to discuss, if the evolution and examples of a fictional character's sexuality doesn't interest you, that's fine.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Feb 19, 2016

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Heavy Metal posted:

Has Deadpool said that? It would be interesting to note examples of him talking about his sexuality other than jokes. For example it is interesting to see how a character evolves, is it fair to say this wasn't part of his character in the Joe Kelly 90s days? Why so negative on talking about this aspect of the character?

For example he has said he's not into dudes when written by Daniel Way, at least that's a line in the video game. As juvenile as that line may be, it's an example. He hit on a chick who said she's only into women, and he said me too or something like that. And it's a joke so it doesn't mean anything necessarily. It's just a topic to discuss, if the evolution and examples of a fictional character's sexuality doesn't interest you, that's fine.

He's a fictional character that has been written by many writers. He is whatever the current writers say he is. Both the current comic writer and the director of the films have said he is pansexual. So he is pansexual until some other writer comes in and says no he is not. This is how fiction works.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
No writer is going to actively come out and say he is not gay. That would be a nightmare for Marvel. They will just do the current thing of not actually doing anything with the idea.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

CharlestheHammer posted:

No writer is going to actively come out and say he is not gay.

Well, Dan Abnett would.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Gavok posted:

Well, Dan Abnett would.

Probably Nick Spencer too, if you catch my drift.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Heavy Metal posted:

Cocks? In MY Deadpool?!

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:
Smashing your way into our hearts one skylight at a time

Vince MechMahon posted:

He's a fictional character that has been written by many writers. He is whatever the current writers say he is. Both the current comic writer and the director of the films have said he is pansexual. So he is pansexual until some other writer comes in and says no he is not. This is how fiction works.

I feel like if they state he's pansexual but that is never actually shown in any of his actions and he is instead continually portrayed as hetrosexual then that's kind of an issue.

It's like they're trying to claim the progressive position of having a homosexual character without having to actually show all that icky stuff of a man finding another man seriously and legitimately attractive and wanting to have sexy times with him.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
That is basically it yeah. Or you have the same issue like in the 80s were editorial is like "nope", but it will be years before we hear anything about that.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I could see some suit looking at the demographic that really likes deadpool and vetoing making him unstraight, yeah.

I know Marvel has that weird clause that Spider-man can't be gay in any adaptations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Lurdiak posted:

I could see some suit looking at the demographic that really likes deadpool and vetoing making him unstraight, yeah.

I know Marvel has that weird clause that Spider-man can't be gay in any adaptations.

That part of the contract specifically allows Spider-Man to be gay if Marvel has portrayed him as such, which, for comparison, the "grew up in Queens" and "raised by Aunt May and Uncle Ben" parts don't allow. The leaked contract provisions indicate a particular concern about keeping the critical influences of his upbringing and early experiences faithful to the established mythos. Sexual orientation is a p. significant aspect of forming one's identity, especially for a character with so much teenage romantic melodrama.

A queer Spider-Man would be swell, but the "Peter Parker: a straight dude" provision is entirely consonant with the rest of that leaked section of contract.

• Locked thread