Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I am not a big fan of Way's book but I thought his description of Hydra Bob as "like those lovely AI partners in video games who screw everything up" was pretty spot-on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

The Hydra Bob storyline (basically the last arc or two of Cable and Deadpool) is among my favorite Deadpool stories ever. I just love everything about those last few stories.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

Lurdiak posted:

I am not a big fan of Way's book but I thought his description of Hydra Bob as "like those lovely AI partners in video games who screw everything up" was pretty spot-on.

I can't leave without my buddy Bob!

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Obviously I haven't read Cable & Deadpool yet, but I'm guessing something happens with the whole Deadpool Inc. organization and folks like Sandi disappear and/or get killed at some point being that none of that exists by the time of the Posehn/Duggan run over the last few years.

IIRC, Alex is still off-stage working as a mercenary with Sandi as his girlfriend/handler and they're both alive and well.

Comic
Feb 24, 2008

Mad Comic Stylings
I find it weird that a lot of video games and other media involving Deapdool (and sometimes his appearances in other series) always have Deapdool have a teleporter when he hasn't really used that kind of tech since Cable and Deadpool (and even then that was a different kind than his teleporter belt he had before).

Dr. MonkeyThunder
Sep 21, 2005

All is, if i have grace to use it so...

Comic posted:

I find it weird that a lot of video games and other media involving Deapdool (and sometimes his appearances in other series) always have Deapdool have a teleporter when he hasn't really used that kind of tech since Cable and Deadpool (and even then that was a different kind than his teleporter belt he had before).

He stole a short range prototype around Secret Invasion. He can also get Weasel to make him pretty much anything he wants. Why doesn't he? Half the time he's broke, character wise he had the death wish just short of forever, and it just doesn't seem like he needs the gadget advantages anymore.

None of that really matters other media wise, he's had it more than he hasn't and it makes a cool game mechanic.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
Is the Dracula's Gauntlet that's coming out this week just a physical reprint of the digital Gauntlet?

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Soonmot posted:

Is the Dracula's Gauntlet that's coming out this week just a physical reprint of the digital Gauntlet?

Yup.

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

Art is still all wonky, but this story is staying good.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
I dunno I've haven't really cared for these past two issues as much.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
I think the latest one was a step up writing wise, but yeah they need a new artist now. It really feels like they were kind of told to do an original sin tie in last minute, because some of the stuff just seems half thought out.

The_Rob fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Jul 17, 2014

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
Oh! I figured someone else would post about it but there is a Deadpool+Cap team up book in this latest solicitation that deals with Wolverine's death. Written by Duggan so hopefully it's good!

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Senor Candle posted:

Oh! I figured someone else would post about it but there is a Deadpool+Cap team up book in this latest solicitation that deals with Wolverine's death. Written by Duggan so hopefully it's good!

Peter David is also writing a mini-series based around the Art of War by Sun Tzu featuring Deadpool.

fan of the browns
Apr 6, 2012

my enemy...
the enemy of every human who has ever lived...
this is the life-force that watches over the Dinosaurs.
So, I'm catching back up with comics and the improvement from Way to Duggan/Posehn is shocking. It's not perfect but it's not awful with awful gimmicks.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I'm really sorry you read Daniel Way's Deadpool.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I mentioned to the one of the employees at my local comic shop that many people had warned me against Daniel Way's Deadpool run and he got really insulted. Then again, he said he doesn't care for the current Duggan/Posehn run, so...

Comic
Feb 24, 2008

Mad Comic Stylings
I probably wouldn't put much stock in any kind of recommendation he makes unless you like sophomoric humor and shallow stories. Which, nothing wrong with that intrinsically but it's not the best Deadpool can be.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Trust me, I don't. Most of his opinions are like "...really?" He's also a big Dan DiDio defender.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

This finally leaked.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XoMxA9qcmzM

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Already taken out.

I am a fragile ball of emotions now.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Already taken out.

I am a fragile ball of emotions now.

Yeah, that was fast as hell. It's good, though.

E: If you've read the leaked script you know what to expect in it.

Vince MechMahon fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Jul 28, 2014

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

It's still up here!

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

That kinda looks like someone handcam'd a Garry's Mod movie made using the model from the Deadpool game, but I'm a natural cynic.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Lurdiak posted:

That kinda looks like someone handcam'd a Garry's Mod movie made using the model from the Deadpool game, but I'm a natural cynic.

It's CGI test footage. It's also clearly Ryan Reynolds voice.

Comic
Feb 24, 2008

Mad Comic Stylings
The choreography of the fighting and stuff is also not very good (which makes more sense if they're literally fighting a CGI Deadpool) but there's no way that was anything but test footage. Also the model is different from the one in his game (as well as looking far more plastic in general).

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I've been interested in reading and maybe collecting Cable/Deadpool being that it's been recommended in this thread and by some of the folks at my local comic shop. I know this sounds like a chore, but could anyone give me a rundown of who Cable is and his story? I've tried to go through his Wikipedia page and I got a headache every time.

Also, I was going back and forth with Gerry Duggan on Twitter about Deadpool and Arkham Manor, and I asked him if writing Manor would mean he's leaving Deadpool in October, but he hasn't gotten back to me yet. Has anything come out about that?

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

I've been interested in reading and maybe collecting Cable/Deadpool being that it's been recommended in this thread and by some of the folks at my local comic shop. I know this sounds like a chore, but could anyone give me a rundown of who Cable is and his story? I've tried to go through his Wikipedia page and I got a headache every time.

Also, I was going back and forth with Gerry Duggan on Twitter about Deadpool and Arkham Manor, and I asked him if writing Manor would mean he's leaving Deadpool in October, but he hasn't gotten back to me yet. Has anything come out about that?

Why would you think he's leaving Deadpool? That isn't the only book he's writing right now.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Senor Candle posted:

Why would you think he's leaving Deadpool? That isn't the only book he's writing right now.

I'm still fairly new to comics, I didn't know if it's that common for people to be head writer on several titles at once, especially when one is Marvel and the other is DC.

Spigs
Jun 5, 2008

Cable is a time traveling mutant soldier from the future. Cyclops is his father. He is frenemies with Deadpool. You don't need to know anything much about him to read Cable/Deadpool, I think I knew less than that when I picked up the series, it was one of the first I read when I was getting into comics and I loved it. Jump in and don't worry to much about back story, if you need a specific question answered try back here and I'm sure someone can fill you in.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

I'm still fairly new to comics, I didn't know if it's that common for people to be head writer on several titles at once, especially when one is Marvel and the other is DC.

Nah, it's pretty common. Bendis started writing Ultimate Spider-man in 2000 and has never stopped writing that even though he did Avengers and New Avengers for a long while too and is currently writing two X-Men comics.

Heck, you should check Charles Soule! Off the top of my head he's writing She-Hulk, Inhuman, Death of Wolverine in a couple of months, just finished a run of Thunderbolts, and on DC he's writing Red Lanterns and Superman/Wonder Woman. While still being a practicing attorney.

It's not quite the same, but if you're digging Deadpool then I recommend you check Nova, which was pretty good even before Duggan started writing. And his upcoming Hulk run seems promising.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Thanks for all the feedback, I really appreciate it. And Duggan answered me, he's staying on Deadpool for as long as he can.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

The other thing to know is that about halfway through Cable & Deadpool is that Cable got his own solo title about halfway through. This just explains something later on in the C&D comics, that I won't really explain since you're going to try to read through it all.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

I got an email saying Deadpool was being continued under another name. Was the main series cancelled or are these just mini series?

quote:

Some comics that you subscribe to are being continued under new names.

Here are the titles that have been continued under new names:

* Deadpool --> Deadpools Art Of War
* Deadpool --> Death Of Wolverine Deadpool And Captain America #1
* Deadpool --> Hawkeye Vs Deadpool

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Boinks posted:

I got an email saying Deadpool was being continued under another name. Was the main series cancelled or are these just mini series?

Those are all just miniseries. I'm pretty sure the Hawkeye and Cap on are both written by Duggan though.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Senor Candle posted:

Those are all just miniseries. I'm pretty sure the Hawkeye and Cap on are both written by Duggan though.

Awesome, thanks.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

The Captain America one is also Deadpool teaming with 90 year old Cap. Which should be amazing.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

To go against what Spigs wrote, by the time Cable/Deadpool started, they aren't really "frenemies" at all. They HATE each other and Deadpool made his comics debut being hired to kill Cable and his team the New Mutants/X-Force.

The quick version of who he is in terms of stuff related to the series: Cable is the son of Cyclops and a clone of Jean Grey. When he was a baby, Apocalypse infected him with something called the "techno-organic virus." Think of it as a metallic rash that will gradually take over the entire body. Cyclops sent Baby Nathan into the distant future, since they had the tech to treat it. It couldn't be cured, but luckily Cable's psychic powers were able to keep it in check. Normally, he would be an omega-level psychic, putting his mother to shame, but instead he's held back because he's always subconsciously using his power to keep the virus at bay. That's why his arm is all metal. His future is a shithole because of Apocalypse, so he tends to go back in time a lot in hopes to make things better.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Gavok posted:

To go against what Spigs wrote, by the time Cable/Deadpool started, they aren't really "frenemies" at all. They HATE each other and Deadpool made his comics debut being hired to kill Cable and his team the New Mutants/X-Force.

They did have a moment or two before C&D, didn't they? I wanna say during Tieri's run?

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Lurdiak posted:

They did have a moment or two before C&D, didn't they? I wanna say during Tieri's run?

You're probably thinking of the "garbage man" scene in Kelly's run. Cable gave him some heart-to-heart advice, but it was still pretty apparent that he hated Wade's guts. Especially since it was right after he found Deadpool watching Siryn sleep while muttering to himself.

Cable was at Deadpool's funeral in the Tieri run, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

Gavok posted:

The quick version of who he is in terms of stuff related to the series: Cable is the son of Cyclops and a clone of Jean Grey. When he was a baby, Apocalypse infected him with something called the "techno-organic virus." Think of it as a metallic rash that will gradually take over the entire body. Cyclops sent Baby Nathan into the distant future, since they had the tech to treat it. It couldn't be cured, but luckily Cable's psychic powers were able to keep it in check. Normally, he would be an omega-level psychic, putting his mother to shame, but instead he's held back because he's always subconsciously using his power to keep the virus at bay. That's why his arm is all metal. His future is a shithole because of Apocalypse, so he tends to go back in time a lot in hopes to make things better.

Also according to an earlier run Cable is one of a handful of beings who can go back to the past and actually alter a timeline without simply splitting it off into alternate realities. It pretty much never comes up.

SirDan3k fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Jul 31, 2014

• Locked thread