Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

X-O posted:

Speaking of Solo, how about that revelation about him and Deadpool? I did not see that coming at all. For those that didn't read it: The reason Deadpool is so popular is that Solo was trying to dress up as Deadpool to earn more money as a merc because Deadpool is the most well paid merc out there. One of his battles ended up on TV and whatever went down it was the thing that turned Deadpool into one of most popular heroes on the planet. So all the fame and money Deadpool has right now is because of Solo.

Is this something that happened during the time gap after Secret Wars?

Codependent Poster posted:

Spider-Man and Deadpool is a really good series too. Joe Kelly can still write the hell out of both characters.

I hope him and McGuiness do some solo Deadpool again sometime too, at least a mini or something. From a preview it looks like he turns down his wife in bed? Are we sure this is in-character? Doesn't remind me much of the early Kelly Deadpool. I'd dig something closer in tone to their 90s stuff.

In general I'm not too into the goodie-two-shoes not killing as much direction, or him being more integrated with the Marvel universe at large. To me Deadpool is at it's best when allowed to do it's own thing.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Feb 13, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

X-O posted:

Yes, because Deadpool #1 opens with Deadpool already being basically the biggest superhero on the planet. The flashback in #7 has to be set during that time period.

That preview ends where it ends for a reason.

Well ok, that's reassuring. They should've put that on the cover like Hack/Slash did one time "Cassie gets laid this issue!". Pretty solid marketing.

I haven't checked out any Marvel from the latest #1s, other than previews and whatnot. Looking forward to catching up on the Pool etc. The past month or so I was reading through Kelly's run and Cable and Deadpool etc, fun fun stuff. I had only read bits and pieces before, and Simone's stuff (plus Agent X).

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

X-O posted:

Cable and Deadpool was actually Fabian Nicieza not Kelly. He just wrapped up a fun digital comic sequel about them called Split Second. It's the most Nicieza thing I've ever read though. It's near impenetrable continuity based storytelling with a potentially very confusing narrative style and tons of jokes. Pretty much peak Nicieza. For those that get it like me I'd imagine they think it's great. Other people will be left scratching their heads and wondering why this story needed to be told.

Yep I know that's not by Kelly, bit of a run-on sentence by me there.

Random note, it's interesting how Deadpool evolved over the years. He was almost Lobo-ish in ways in the early Kelly books. He has a huge jaw, punches people through walls for sitting in his seat etc. Deadpool comes across as less "macho" or something these days. I don't mind the change, just interesting.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

If I can poo poo up the thread for a moment. How come they keep saying Deadpool is pansexual etc, but he only ever seems romantically or sexually interested in chicks? And in the books he's generally been your standard pervy straight guy kind of character, going after various women.

I'd be cool with a bisexual Deadpool, and I know he makes jokes of such etc. But if the character is always written as being interested in women, at the end of the day is the character really pansexual? Or is it just lip service? Ryan Reynolds for example has talked this topic.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Feb 17, 2016

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Blockhouse posted:

I totally forgot. Did Duggan explicitly say it wasn't Death?

He's only ever had relationships with women but he's pretty explicitly attracted to men too. It'd be hard to do more with that at the moment because he's, you know, married but Duggan's made his stance clear.

I know he's said Deadpool is pansexual, and Ryan Reynolds was saying it'd be nice to see Deadpool have a boyfriend in a later movie. Though, did Joe Kelly ever mention that for example? And if it never really goes anywhere in Duggan's run and a later writer also doesn't go anywhere with it, did the pansexual tree fall and make any sounds?

Has he kissed men in a non-comedic scene for example? Or ever had a boyfriend in his life that we know of? I also wonder why they go for pansexual instead of bisexual, though I did recently hear about a documentary on people sexually attracted to cars.

You know how online when people discuss superpowers, they ask about "feats"? I'm looking to hear about Deadpool's gay feats.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Lurdiak posted:

Deadpool has repeatedly had gay dreams about Cable. On a more serious tone, lots of people come out very late in their lives, especially if they're not 100% gay but rather fall somewhere more ambiguous on the spectrum of sexuality.

Hey I've got gay friends. And hold on now, there's nothing inherently gay about gay dreams, especially if Cable is in them. Hey this isn't about me, I'm talking about the prose here. Any gay stuff not played for the comedy?

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Lurdiak posted:

I didn't mean to imply anything.

I mean if the Destro doll's clothes weren't supposed to come off, why does he come with clothes that come off. But this isn't about me.

(edit: my editor is telling me this bit isn't working, hey this isn't about me by the way. Deadpool folks)

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Feb 18, 2016

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Gaz-L posted:

Chris Sims parachute account spotted.

At least I know when my comedy is bombing, we could all learn a little something from the Deadpool. I'm just a guy asking some questions here

Anyhoo, here's an article about the topic, "Pansexual Antihero or Gay-Baiting Jokester?"

http://www.towleroad.com/2016/02/deadpool-pansexual-antihero-gay-baiting-jokester/

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Feb 18, 2016

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Vince MechMahon posted:

Seeing as Deadpool is currently married to a horrific monster (who, true, can also look like a hot chick) I'd say that falls into a pretty non-standard relationship.

She generally looks hot not horrific, and is notably female. His sex with her was already mentioned on this very page.

I think it's just there's a potential for him to have a relationship with a guy if they want to cross that bridge, but I guess it hasn't happened as of yet. So it can seem a bit overstated to tote him as a notable example of a pansexual character, until he's getting up to some pansexual hijinks.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Feb 19, 2016

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Pope Corky the IX posted:

before I believe them if they tell me that they're gay.

Has Deadpool said that? It would be interesting to note examples of him talking about his sexuality other than jokes. For example it is interesting to see how a character evolves, is it fair to say this wasn't part of his character in the Joe Kelly 90s days? Why so negative on talking about this aspect of the character?

For example he has said he's not into dudes when written by Daniel Way, at least that's a line in the video game. As juvenile as that line may be, it's an example. He hit on a chick who said she's only into women, and he said me too or something like that. And it's a joke so it doesn't mean anything necessarily. It's just a topic to discuss, if the evolution and examples of a fictional character's sexuality doesn't interest you, that's fine.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Feb 19, 2016

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Gavok posted:

I wrote a bunch of stuff about what constitutes as Deadpool's rogues gallery. Mostly a bunch of one-off obscure characters he fought.

And now I realize that I never talked about T-Ray in the STAH.txt thread. I need to rectify that.

Cool stuff! I kind of like that Deadpool doesn't have an immortal endless rogues gallery like Batman or Spidey. It reminds me of Judge Dredd in that way, the majority of Dredd's great villains end up dead. Keeps it fresh. I'm glad T-Ray wasn't overused.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Gavok posted:

I'm currently writing a history article on Agent X, which means rereading the series, and the end of #7 is inadvertently sad in a hilarious way.

Simone does a six-issue intro arc built on her brief Deadpool run. In Agent X, she introduces Mary Zero, a mutant teen girl whose power is being unnoticed by everyone no matter what she does. She has a huge crush on Alex, mainly because he's the only person who can perceive her. She ends up helping him out to tie up a loose end, but otherwise doesn't really do much. Then in #7, with Taskmaster refusing to join Agency X and Outlaw having to leave town for a bit, Mary pops in to grab Alex by the arm and go, "You'll never be rid of me!"

And that's her last comic appearance ever.

We should write a folk song about Mary Zero, or something, gotta pay tribute. I liked Agent X in high school, I don't remember her so her superpower must be legit. That is a funny, lots of fun little characters like that who go poof.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

RandallODim posted:

This is totally my poo poo.

I'm very aroused! In all seriousness Gambit is my favorite X-men character!

• Locked thread