Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Who is Deadpool?

The Merc with a Mouth is a self-aware, jokey gun for hire with a heroic streak who stars in his own solo series, usually has his own miniseries going on and tends to join a team every now and then. He speaks in yellow word bubbles for style reasons, has a healing factor much like Wolverine's and is completely competent at fighting and adventuring in a way that makes him look completely incompetent. His body is completely gnarled up due to being covered in tumors and scar tissue, usually making him look like Freddy Krueger. You know, when they could afford the good makeup like in New Nightmare.

His name is Wade Wilson (or is it Jack?) and he came from Canada (or is it Ohio?). Well-trained in military tasks, he contracted cancer and signed with Weapon X to be experimented on in hopes of finding a cure. They used him as a guinea pig to graft a man-made attempt at copying Wolverine's healing factor. The process was torturous and taxing to both body and mind. He escaped and became a mercenary until realizing that maybe there was more to him than just murdering for a bunch of money.

What's his Publication History?

Deadpool was introduced by Fabian Nicieza in New Mutants #98 back in 1990 because Rob Liefeld really wanted to draw Deathstroke the Terminator, so they shaved off the serial number. He antagonized X-Force for a while until Nicieza wrote a miniseries called the Circle Chase where Deadpool was still an rear end in a top hat, but showed a brief moment of emotion and selflessness in the end. Afterwards, Mark Waid wrote a miniseries where he's later said if he knew who Deadpool was before accepting the offer to write it, he would have refused. Still, he made lemonade out of those lemons and wrote a good four-issue run that introduced Deadpool's romantic connection to Siryn and continued to make Deadpool just a little more likeable.

In the mid-90's, Joe Kelly got to spend several years writing the Deadpool ongoing and while it builds on Waid's four issues, it's known by many as THE definitive take on the character. Deadpool made an honest-to-God attempt to be a hero and while realizing that he may never escape the ghosts of what he's done in the past, he'll still try. It went for 33 issues plus specials and is worth reading if you ever want to get into the character. Once he left, Christopher Priest wrote a very average run for a little while. Then different writers took over with different levels of success. Some good, some bad.

The final stretch of the run was done by Gail Simone in what some consider to be her best work. At #69, Deadpool seemingly died and the series was relaunched as Agent X, featuring a similar-but-different dude named Alex Hayden, who is also a jokey, quick-healing, scarred mercenary, except Japanese. Simone left before they could reveal Hayden's connection to Wilson and different writers drove the series into the ground (yes, including Evan Dorkin of all people). Simone was brought back in for three more issues to resolve everything and bring Deadpool back.

Creator Nicieza got to write 50 issues of Cable/Deadpool, which turned the mortal enemies into a heartwarming bromance. While filled with fantastic moments and good stories, it suffered a bit from cannibalizing their histories a bit too much and rarely creating anything new for them to deal with. I mean, Nicieza introduced a guy named Black Box and... that's about it, I think. Still, a completely solid run that ended because Cable was killed/escaped into the future because of bigger X-Men storytelling, making it all about Deadpool.

Deadpool was given a relaunched solo series once again, this time written by Daniel Way. Way had written a Deadpool arc in Wolverine: Origins that showed he had a good grasp on the character. The first year of his series was really strong with stories about him fighting Skrulls, zombies, the Thunderbolts and Bullseye-dressed-as-Hawkeye. Then the series really fell apart due to Way's inability to write any payoff. Deadpool became a complete rear end in a top hat again and would waffle between wanting to be a hero and wanting to be known as the best merc ever. Interesting concepts would be built up to, then seemingly forgotten about, dragging you into the next story, which would also lack payoff. He gained a crappy arch-nemesis Evil Deadpool (made of dismembered pieces of Deadpool sewn back together) and did a whole arc about losing his healing factor, only for the series to abruptly end with him getting it back.

While that was going on, Deadpool was everywhere and had a million comics. Deadpool Team-Up was a really fun series for the most part where each issue was a different creative team matching Deadpool up with a different hero. Then there was Deadpool: Merc with a Mouth, a 13-issue second solo series where Deadpool and the head of his zombie counterpart from the Marvel Zombies universe got into wacky adventures with curvaceous women constantly drawn falling out of their clothes. It was okay, I guess. That spun off into Deadpool Corps, a Liefeld-drawn series where Deadpool teamed up with various Deadpools from other realities to do stuff in space. It sucked hard.

During all of this, the best Deadpool comic was Rick Remender's Uncanny X-Force, which reminded everyone that Wade Wilson is in fact best when he plays up the pathos. Sure, he's funny, but the scene of him pointing out that he has a serious problem with the fact that Fantomex shot a child in the head for the betterment of the world when Wolverine doesn't is absolutely amazing.

Once Way's series ended, Deadpool got yet another ongoing as part of Marvel NOW, written by the team of Brian Posehn (known as "that big, goony guy with the red horseshoe hair you see on TV sometimes") and Gerry Duggan. They once wrote a comic about Santa Claus in the post-apocalypse that was pretty rad. Their first Deadpool arc was about Deadpool fighting zombie presidents and that got old pretty quickly, souring a lot of people on the series. Then the comic really started gaining momentum, escalating into the Good, the Bad and the Ugly, one of the all-time best Deadpool storylines.

The Posehn/Duggan run is seriously good and should be read. They also have a secondary story going on right now. Deadpool: The Gauntlet is a 12-issue weekly digital series telling the story about how Deadpool was hired by Dracula to retrieve his slumbering bride-to-be, the succubus Shiklah. During the adventure, Deadpool and Shiklah start to fall for each other, which will spill into the main series in a big way come this April.

Otherwise, overwhelmingly mediocre writer Cullen Bunn has been writing a bunch of Deadpool miniseries for the past year or so. It started with Deadpool Kills the Marvel Universe, which is just a mean-spirited and hollow comic about Deadpool killing off every Marvel character because he realizes they're all fictional. It's poo poo. Then it becomes Deadpool Killustrated, where he moves on to hunting down classical characters who created storytelling archetypes. Also poo poo. It comes to a head in Deadpool Kills Deadpool, where the main comics Deadpool has to fight his evil self from the previous two minis, leading to the deaths of all the other alternate universe Deadpools (including all of the Deadpool Corps). Still poo poo, albeit not as bad as the previous ones.

Right now, Bunn is writing Night of the Living Deadpool, which is actually pretty decent. His next project will be a miniseries about Deadpool fighting Carnage. Keep in mind, his last Carnage crossover was not very good.

Deadpool's also a member of the Thunderbolts, a team put together by Red Hulk to do his dirty work. In return, the team members get to do their own personal missions with everyone else agreeing to help out. Deadpool's been jealous of the Frank Castle/Elektra friends-with-benefits relationship, but come April I doubt that will be a problem anymore. Much like his solo series, it started out written by Daniel Way and was absolutely terrible. Charles "writes more comics than Johns and Bendis ever did combined" Soule took over and made it totally worth reading.

What Should I Read if I Want to Get into Deadpool?

Deadpool Classic has the complete Joe Kelly run. The one problem is that the first volume also features his first appearance and the two miniseries before giving you only the first issue of Joe Kelly's run. Otherwise, just plow through those trades and you'll be good.

All of Cable/Deadpool is worth reading. The first two trades of Daniel Way's stuff isn't bad and the Deadpool arc in Wolverine Origins is one of the best things Way's ever written. There's a good miniseries called Deadpool: Suicide Kings. Rick Remender's Uncanny X-Force is all really good outside of some iffy art in the Captain Britain storyline. If you want to get into Thunderbolts, definitely start when Soule takes over (#12 in issues, volume 3 in trades).

In terms of alternate universe stuff, Deadpool starred in Deadpool Pulp (Deadpool as an insane government agent during the 1950's) and 5 Ronin (various Marvel heroes reimagined as warriors in feudal Japan). Both are worth a peek.

With the current run, you might as well just start off at Deadpool #1 and work your way up from there. Power through the first arc and you're in for a good time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Two words to explain why to read this week's Gauntlet: vampire Grimace

With last week's issue of the main series, I really liked that little moment where they put Deadpool on the operating table and he had to power through how uncomfortable he was due to experiencing Weapon X/Butler flashbacks. That was really well done.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Avulsion posted:

Did Deadpool just get married in this week's Gauntlet?

This week's issue just about confirms it (Shiklah says "Don't tell my husband" after kissing a victim and I don't think she's talking about Dracula). I'm guessing the reveal will be in one of the two remaining issues and they'll show the wedding itself in Deadpool's main series.

Oddly enough, they did this exact plot in Deadpool Team-Up with Satana, only this time they appear to want to make it a status quo.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

bobkatt013 posted:

We already know that Deadpool is getting married in an upcoming issue.

Of course. I'm just saying that the marriage happened off-panel in Deadpool: The Gauntlet #9.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Some wordless preview pages for #27 have been released.

The really interesting thing in all of this is that Deadpool #27 is going to have backup stories by nearly every Deadpool writer ever. It's just missing Cullen Bunn and Mike Benson, but otherwise you have everyone who ever wrote some kind of run on a Deadpool solo comic.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

The Red Hulk shatter effect in this week's Gauntlet is one of the cooler uses of the digital storytelling.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

The wedding issue was great. Though who would have guessed that Mark Waid would have written the lamest of the backups?

Looks like Simone and Tieri had to pull double duty, I suppose from other writers pulling out last minute.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Deadpool vs. Carnage is turning out to be more fun than I expected. Mainly because it's nice to see somebody actually get under Carnage's skin for once.

There's a part where Shriek's face gets smashed through a windshield as Carnage screams for her and Deadpool's response is, "AWWWW YEAH! FRIGDING!" That's not an actual expression, right? Like, he was really supposed to say "FRIDGING!" and they hosed up. Because that's kind of a hilarious line.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

When Posehn and Duggan leave Deadpool, I hope they give the series to Chris Hastings. Every time he's used the character, it's been gold and Deadpool Annual #2 is no different.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Man. NOT a fan of the art in this week's issue.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

It's still up here!

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Pope Corky the IX posted:

I've been interested in reading and maybe collecting Cable/Deadpool being that it's been recommended in this thread and by some of the folks at my local comic shop. I know this sounds like a chore, but could anyone give me a rundown of who Cable is and his story? I've tried to go through his Wikipedia page and I got a headache every time.

To go against what Spigs wrote, by the time Cable/Deadpool started, they aren't really "frenemies" at all. They HATE each other and Deadpool made his comics debut being hired to kill Cable and his team the New Mutants/X-Force.

The quick version of who he is in terms of stuff related to the series: Cable is the son of Cyclops and a clone of Jean Grey. When he was a baby, Apocalypse infected him with something called the "techno-organic virus." Think of it as a metallic rash that will gradually take over the entire body. Cyclops sent Baby Nathan into the distant future, since they had the tech to treat it. It couldn't be cured, but luckily Cable's psychic powers were able to keep it in check. Normally, he would be an omega-level psychic, putting his mother to shame, but instead he's held back because he's always subconsciously using his power to keep the virus at bay. That's why his arm is all metal. His future is a shithole because of Apocalypse, so he tends to go back in time a lot in hopes to make things better.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Lurdiak posted:

They did have a moment or two before C&D, didn't they? I wanna say during Tieri's run?

You're probably thinking of the "garbage man" scene in Kelly's run. Cable gave him some heart-to-heart advice, but it was still pretty apparent that he hated Wade's guts. Especially since it was right after he found Deadpool watching Siryn sleep while muttering to himself.

Cable was at Deadpool's funeral in the Tieri run, though.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

You know things are hosed up when even Sabretooth feels sorry for you. :drat:

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

wiegieman posted:

I never would have believed that Deadpool could convey pathos until Duggan&Posehn came along.

Then you should probably read Joe Kelly's Deadpool run and Nicieza's Cable/Deadpool.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Codependent Poster posted:

There were also no feet anywhere in the issue.

The moment after the flashback ends and we return to the present, the very first panel is a close-up of Agent Adsit's feet. I laughed.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

My editor at Den of Geek was all "Hey, you've read pretty much every Deadpool comic. Do an essential reading guide article so I can pay you and I can go to town on Marvel Unlimited."

So here's the Ultimate Deadpool Reading Guide.

It's a public service because more people need to read that Shang-Chi: Master of Kung-Fu story by Hickman.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

So that Bi-Annual issue...

That was quite a climax. :stare:

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

"So enjoy your funny books, but just know that not everyone finds them funny." :smith:

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Wanderer posted:

"HA! I hate everything and this is awesome!" :haw:

That panel is going to be getting a lot of use in my future.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Yvonmukluk posted:

Oh god, somebody pointed out to me that Deadpool at one point literally buys the farm.

HAHAHA! Holy poo poo!

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

The lack of Evan in the entire first story was kind of weird.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Little Mac posted:

Yeah, didn't he live right there?

Also didn't last issue leave off with the cliffhanger of Shiklah assaulting the world?

Duggan is following up on that with the Secret Wars tie-in Mrs. Deadpool and the Howling Commandos.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

I'm working on an article where I rank every Deadpool writer. The way I'm counting it is that they had to have written a comic that either stars Deadpool or is a team with Deadpool as a member. They also have to have written at least three consecutive issues. So no guest appearances or one-shots, making Deadpool Team-Up worthless here. Here's the list of names that qualify as far as I can figure out:

- Fabian Nicieza (Circle Chase, Cable/Deadpool)
- Mark Waid (Sins of the Past)
- Joe Kelly (Deadpool v.1)
- Christopher Priest (Deadpool v.1)
- Jimmy Palmiotti and Buddy Scalera (Deadpool v.1)
- Frank Tieri (Deadpool v.1)
- Gail Simone (Deadpool v.1)
- Rob Rodi (Identity Disc)
- Daniel Way (Deadpool v.2, Thunderbolts v.2)
- Mike Benson and Adam Glass (Suicide Kings, Deadpool Pulp)
- Victor Gischler (Merc with a Mouth, Deadpool Corps)
- Duane Swierczynski (Wade Wilson's War, Deadpool vs. X-Force)
- David Lapham (Deadpool MAX)
- Rick Remender (Uncanny X-Force)
- Cullen Bunn (Deadpool Kills the Marvel Universe, Deadpool Killustrated, Deadpool Kills Deadpool, Night of the Living Deadpool, Deadpool vs. Carnage, Return of the Living Deadpool)
- Christopher Hastings (Fear Itself: Deadpool)
- Gerry Duggan and Brian Posehn (Deadpool v.3, Dracula's Gauntlet, Hawkeye vs. Deadpool)
- Charles Soule (Thunderbolts v.2)
- Peter David (Deadpool's Art of War)
- Ben Acker and Ben Blacker (Thunderbolts v.2)

Is there anyone I'm missing? I mean, I guess I could count Milligan for 5 Ronin since it sort of counts and if I really want to stretch it, I could include that Identity Wars crossover John Layman did, but I feel like those don't star him enough to work.

Also, I'm really leaning towards ranking Duggan/Posehn over Kelly and I feel bad about it.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

IUG posted:

Didn't Doctor McNinja's Chris Hastings do a 4 part (or so) Fear Itself tie-in? I forget the number of issues.

Yep, he's on the list. He also did an awesome A+X issue where Deadpool teamed up with Hawkeye.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Deadpool posted:

Don't feel bad about it. I would too. Duggan/Posehn, then Nicieza, and then Kelly. That's how I'd do it.

Fair enough. Meanwhile, here's who I have penned for the bottom 5:

20) Rob Rodi: Identity Disc was poo poo.

19) Duane Swierczynski: His two minis were completely vanilla and he had one sequence in Wade Wilson's War that was so unfunny that it actually made me angry.

18) Frank Tieri: Weak run outside of that really sweet funeral issue. Otherwise a handful of decent ideas that never landed.

17) Victor Gischler: "Man, Deadpool sure is WACKY! ...That's all I got."

16) Daniel Way: Had some flashes of brilliance and strong stories early on, but he never knew when to quit and stayed on for far too long with the stories getting worse and worse.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

RandallODim posted:

I'll be interested to see where you put Cullen Bunn on there, because the Deadpool Kills* series were all over the place in terms of quality.

Yeah, Bunn is an interesting one because his writing has really turned the corner in the past few years, but it happened while he was writing a million Deadpool comics. Deadpool Kills was mostly terrible, but everything that followed was a good time.

Lurdiak posted:

Now I know for a fact I read that, but I can never remember a drat thing about it.

Is that the story where Deadpool and Wolverine confront each other on a dam? Or is that something else?

Nope. It's Usual Suspects with villains. Literally Usual Suspects with villains.

Deadpool posted:

I don't know that I'd place Way that low, but good calls on the others. Lapham would definitely be at or near the bottom for me though. And Peter David I love you man, but you write a poo poo Deadpool.

Lapham's a tough call because I have a hard time pinning down how I really feel about Deadpool MAX. At the very least, I liked his Wade.

I didn't mind Art of War. It wasn't offensive, but it wasn't anything special.

quote:

I almost feel like Mark Waid is the hardest to judge of all because his Deadpool was at a time when there wasn't really much to Deadpool at all. It almost feels like a different character at some points. I think that way of most Pre-Kelly appearances though.

I would say he wrote the first good Deadpool story and helped steer him into the direction that Kelly solidified, so he gets a decent enough ranking.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

IUG posted:

Deadpool Corps should be at the bottom of the list. gently caress that series.

That would be Gischler. He's really low on the list, but let's be honest, he wasn't responsible for the series' #1 problem, which was Liefeld art.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

TheJoker138 posted:

What's the scene in Wade Wilson's war you hated that much? I read that series and can't remember a single thing about it.

Wade is testifying at this big trial thing and he removes his mask to reveal what the government's done to him. Everyone's shocked and it's a cliffhanger. Then in the next issue, it shows that he's Michael Jackson under the mask. And he starts beating up guards while singing "Poker Face." Then he takes the mask off and has another Deadpool mask on underneath.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

TheJoker138 posted:

But...but Poker Face isn't even a Michael Jackson song...

Yeah, but it was 2010 and back then, just referencing "Poker Face" counted as a joke somehow.

Only South Park made it work.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

TwoPair posted:

I would put Way lower just because the sheer length of his run combined with his general decline meant that he had a lot of sway over how non-comic readers and other writers see/portray the character. What I'm getting at is when I try to get people to read (good) Deadpool comics, I have to start my pitch with "No he's not a bad character, really" because the internet is inundated with panels of Way's run posted all over imgur (or tumblr or other dumb websites) by morons who lap that poo poo up and think "chimichangas" is a punchline. Way even wrote a whole unfunny video game script to really make sure non-comic readers knew Deadpool was just awful.

Of course, I haven't read Gischler but it sounds like he has a lot of the same lolrandom humor problem I hate, so maybe he is worse than Way.

I recall when Merc with a Mouth was about to start, Gischler admitted that the only Deadpool he had read was Way's. So there you go on that. Gischler's Merc with a Mouth kind of felt like an okay fill-in story that was given its own ongoing.

Way at the very least has that quality Deadpool arc in Wolverine: Origins and the whole Deadpool vs. Bullseye storyline.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Lightning Lord posted:

I've read it but if you tell me it wasn't greenlighted for the reason I laid out I will call you a liar.

It reminds me of how a few years ago, Marvel rereleased the first three issues of Remender's Venom and called it Venom: Flashpoint.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

I'm currently writing about Deadpool's appearances in other media and that's led to me looking into Avengers Disk Wars. I knew very little about the series other than it was some ridiculous plot about the Avengers only existing for five minutes at a time as kids wield them like Pokemon. I watched the two Deadpool episodes (ep 27 and 30) and man...

That show loving rules.

Not only is it fun as hell despite the silly premise, but it has easily the best depiction of Deadpool outside of the comics. Throughout the two episodes, he's the perfect balance of 4th wall-breaking lunatic, badass, morally questionable rogue and self-hating scumbag. The first episode is mostly jokes and little action, but the second one has him and Cap teaming up to fight Baron Zemo. I highly recommend it. It's completely on-point.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Senor Candle posted:

I hope Duggan ends up with the longest run on Deadpool. Who has that title now?

Daniel Way did 65 issues (63 plus two .1 issues) and we might as well count that 5 issue Wolverine: Origins arc. Right now Duggan has 45 issues of the main series, 12 digital issues of the Gauntlet (7 issues physically) and 5 issues of the Hawkeye crossover miniseries. So let's say...

Daniel Way: 70
Gerry Duggan: 57

Yeah, he has this in the bag.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

The biggest change made is that Negasonic Teenage Warhead (the girl in the Colossus part) is added as kind of a teenage sidekick.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

As a guy who knows way too much about Deadpool, I was asked to analyze the new movie trailer from top to bottom. This is what I got.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

So any theories on what's going on at the end of the second issue? T-Ray? Agent X?

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Lurdiak posted:

Speaking of Agent X, how lame is it that he's one of 5 comic book characters I have a pitch for?

You're talking to a guy who's been wanting to write the Eradicator for forever.

Blockhouse posted:

T-Ray seems the most obvious (if it was Agent X would Adsit have been shocked like that?) but I feel like maybe it's someone Duggan's used before. Obviously not Butler, but somebody.

There is that thing from when Deadpool was in his own head where they foreshadowed an evil personality lurking in there. Might be related to that.

Just as long as it isn't Evil Deadpool. He's the dirt worst.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Eating a seagull while stranded far in the ocean can change a man.

He'd also probably lose a lot of body mass in that situation, allowing him to slim down to Deadpool proportions.

He seemed fine in the rematch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Fereydun posted:

when's taskmaster gonna show up in the duggan series
i need my dp/task fix and re-reading the way issues aint enough (hey, he managed to capture that pairing pretty well!)

He showed up during the Spider-Man team-up issue.

• Locked thread