Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

One Swell Foop posted:

It was the "very eerie sensation of bad things happening without any cheap jumpscares, mystery and really good sets that really feel just wrong", it's probably the some of the most unnerving viewing around.

Personally my whole problem with that show (Black Mirror) is that it tries so loving hard to be this way, where a show like Hannibal starts with an actual story and then shocking stuff happens within that story. Every episode of Black Mirror very obviously started with people brainstorming on what would be shocking and disturbing and then writing around it instead of the other way around, which creates something actually good because unless you're a teenager, something being "shocking and edgy" on its own isn't really enough. If the writers of Hannibal had taken this easy tact, which they very easily could have, the show would have probably been cancelled after about 8 episodes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer
That's pretty much how I feel about the "social worker in the horse" bit, though. v:shobon:v

Wiggy Marie
Jan 16, 2006

Meep!
Based off of how Bryan discusses how they brainstorm episodes I've always thought that's exactly how they write the show.

Wiggy Marie fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Apr 22, 2015

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

InfiniteZero posted:

Personally my whole problem with that show (Black Mirror) is that it tries so loving hard to be this way, where a show like Hannibal starts with an actual story and then shocking stuff happens within that story. Every episode of Black Mirror very obviously started with people brainstorming on what would be shocking and disturbing and then writing around it instead of the other way around, which creates something actually good because unless you're a teenager, something being "shocking and edgy" on its own isn't really enough. If the writers of Hannibal had taken this easy tact, which they very easily could have, the show would have probably been cancelled after about 8 episodes.
It's kind of supposed to be like that though. Most of the episodes are quite clearly about taking existing or plausible technology to ridiculous, dangerous extremes. The whole show is absurdist black comedy, it's not supposed to tell a story in the way that Hannibal does. The fact that every episode is standalone means there's no use in really comparing the two, either.

Also, I might argue that Hannibal as a character and a concept was basically Harris brainstorming something shocking and disturbing and then writing a story around it

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009
New poster!

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Rabbit Hill posted:

That's pretty much how I feel about the "social worker in the horse" bit, though. v:shobon:v

Oh come on now, "Is your social worker inside that horse?" is the greatest line ever written!

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Paperhouse posted:

Also, I might argue that Hannibal as a character and a concept was basically Harris brainstorming something shocking and disturbing and then writing a story around it

You might argue that, but I really think you'd be objectively wrong. Harris spent a lot of time doing actual research and following FBI guys around, Buffalo Bill and Lecter were both amalgamations of different killers he read about or was told about during that time.

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008
I finally ordered the DVDs - excited to listen to the commentaries.

Also, it seems I've gotten a total of 5 people watching this show so far. The DVDs are partially to win over my roommate and his girlfriend, bringing it up to 7. Spread the good news.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

n3wt posted:

A bit late but here's Mads giving the crew the bird in a split second after checking Mason's rolling eyes.

If you enjoy nightmares, watch the hallucinogenic scene in slo-mo. The sound and detail is incredible, even watched frame by frame.

Looks like he is channeling Christopher Walken. Hey, having Hannibal and Walken chatting would make an incredible episode.

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

phew, for a minute there i lost myself
Not sure what is/isn't passing as a spoiler in here in terms of actors featured in the next season, but Laurence Fishburne and Gina Torres were at the Kids in the Hall show last night to see Scott Thompson performing.

:3:

el oso fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Apr 27, 2015

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

So Bryan Fuller has revealed some interesting details about the season. Some are quite spoilery, so some of you may want to avoid:

http://m.digitalspy.com.au/ustv/s225/hannibal/feature/a643841/bryan-fuller-serves-up-11-delicious-new-spoilers-for-hannibal-season-3.html

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe
Finally finished my virgin marathon.
Going to ignore the thread until june 4 now, as I made the mistake of reading a bit of it (the pages after the finale) and saw bozos posting av club spoilers. Seriously, what motivates that poo poo?

Anyhoo, SO GLAD I found this show, so glad it was on amazon prime commercial free. So sad that I will have to view the upcoming season fast forwarding through said commercials.

As good as the finale was, I cannot help but feel the part that choked me up the most may have been the stag dying. :(

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008

Fog Tripper posted:

Anyhoo, SO GLAD I found this show, so glad it was on amazon prime commercial free. So sad that I will have to view the upcoming season fast forwarding through said commercials.

I think last season, Hulu Plus had it up the next day without ads in the middle.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Fog Tripper posted:

I dunno there's something magical about the ebb and flow of commercial breaks. Abigail Hobbs returns from the dead to push Alana out of a window and CUT TO COMMERCIAL and you and your friend turn to each other and go whaaaaa

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Apr 28, 2015

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Just letting you guys know (whether you want to find it or avoid it), there's a Season 3 synopsis around that pretty much fully spoils the outcome of the Mizumono Massacre.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

Steve Yun posted:

I dunno there's something magical about the ebb and flow of commercial breaks. Abigail Hobbs returns from the dead to push Alana out of a window and CUT TO COMMERCIAL and you and your friend turn to each other and go whaaaaa

The commercials are necessary. I watched the season finale once live, and then again with no commercials. Without the breaks, the tension and anxiety just continue to build and ratchet up to a weird level leaving you no time to digest what just happened.

Dr Scoofles
Dec 6, 2004

jisforjosh posted:

The commercials are necessary. I watched the season finale once live, and then again with no commercials. Without the breaks, the tension and anxiety just continue to build and ratchet up to a weird level leaving you no time to digest what just happened.

This is why I want no breaks! I want to come out of an episode of Hannibal feeling as stressed, confused and upset as possible. A bit like dear Will with brain problems I guess.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

BreakAtmo posted:

Just letting you guys know (whether you want to find it or avoid it), there's a Season 3 synopsis around that pretty much fully spoils the outcome of the Mizumono Massacre.

It isn't polite to not provide a link when mentioning something like this, and you know what happens to impolite people in these parts.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

Dr Scoofles posted:

This is why I want no breaks! I want to come out of an episode of Hannibal feeling as stressed, confused and upset as possible. A bit like dear Will with brain problems I guess.

Really though, the no-commercial-marathon felt like a really really REALLY long movie. And was damned good at that.

You know when Will was fevered and his POV was all jittery camera-wise? That is me after an EP straight through. My wife and I watched up to 5 episodes in one sitting. That is some stress.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

Sub Rosa posted:

It isn't polite to not provide a link when mentioning something like this, and you know what happens to impolite people in these parts.

Why would you want to know? Honestly.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Sub Rosa posted:

Fine, but be it on your (delicious slow-roasted) head.

Remember, SPOILERS for certain characters' survival in season 3:

"After the shocking events of the season finale, Hannibal (Mads Mikkelsen) is on the run in Europe - accompanied by his psychiatrist Bedelia Du Maurier (Gillian Anderson) - sporting a new identity but servicing the same insatiable appetite. As the lives of Will (Hugh Dancy), Jack (Laurence Fishburne) and Alana (Caroline Dhavernas) converge toward Hannibal again, their deadly dance turns in startling and unexpected ways, and nothing will ever be the same again."

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008
https://twitter.com/BryanFuller/status/593193681080832001

Bryan Fuller just doesn't give a gently caress, and it's great

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Fog Tripper posted:

Why would you want to know? Honestly.
Why wouldn't I? Honestly.

Bryan Fuller casually spoils the poo poo out of a lot, and still keeps somethings hidden. I don't, especially as someone who has read the books and seen the movies, feel like I'd gain a lot by trying to go in unspoiled, so why not know what there is to know?

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

Sub Rosa posted:

Bryan Fuller casually spoils the poo poo out of a lot, and still keeps somethings hidden. I don't, especially as someone who has read the books and seen the movies, feel like I'd gain a lot by trying to go in unspoiled, so why not know what there is to know?

But perhaps you may find out what there is to know by watching it in the medium it is created for? :shrug:

I just find it odd. This from someone who read ASoIaF and think the show adaptation sucks. Hannibal is amazingly good, and knowing stuff ahead of time would suck some of the awesome away from the experience, IMHO.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

Sub Rosa posted:

With a show like Hannibal, being surprised by the events of the plot seems like something way, way down on the list of things to enjoy.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

It seems like the big surprises and plot twists have all been things that would have gotten book/movie people as well, anyway.

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

I'm trying to go into this season as blind as I can, though I watched the teaser and saw one or two comments on here I can kind of piece together what to expect. Though things like knowing the Verger's were in last season at some point made me constantly anticipate how they might be linked to the story, which distracted from watching a little.

Only 35 days to go. I might rewatch three quarters of an episode a day until then.

edit: Also, watched Perfume: The Story of a Murderer again the other day and it reminded me of how similar it was to Hannibal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zutiIw_2e2g

justcola fucked around with this message at 19:57 on May 3, 2015

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009
Janice Poon just posted this on twitter; spoilered for those who'd rather be surprised:

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I think I need to watch the season finale again, that was legitimately one of the best season finales I've ever seen.

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008
Yeah, this scene from the finale was great

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009
New preview!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=obBhQ1o2doU

Brock Samson
May 13, 2003

I let you know me, see me. I gave you a rare gift, but you didn't want it.

That is great.

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer
OK, I am now officially SO EXCITED :supaburn:

Dr Scoofles
Dec 6, 2004

I knew Gillian Anderson was showing up in S3 but I had no idea it was in this capacity. I seriously cannot wait.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Dr Scoofles posted:

I knew Gillian Anderson was showing up in S3 but I had no idea it was in this capacity. I seriously cannot wait.

If TV trailers have taught me anything its that most of the footage in them is likely from the very first episode. I'm betting its overplaying her prominence for the entire season.

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009
I dunno, apparently they've switched her from guest star to main this season, soooo....

Brock Samson
May 13, 2003

I let you know me, see me. I gave you a rare gift, but you didn't want it.

Main

course :fork: :gibs:

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Astrofig posted:

I dunno, apparently they've switched her from guest star to main this season, soooo....

That I hadn't heard.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

What is Lecter saying at the end of that? "You're up to missing I won't kill you" ??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Sub Rosa posted:

What is Lecter saying at the end of that? "You're up to missing I won't kill you" ??

"You're optimistic that I won't kill you."

• Locked thread