Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

hadji murad posted:

I had most but bought the rest. What came before? It's followed by 600+ until Brubaker leaves, correct?

There is this run then Captain America: Reborn, then 600-619 and then as is the case of Marvel double shipping becomes Captain America & Bucky with Bru only co-writing before being cancelled shortly. Then gets relaunched as Captain America #1 again with Brubaker and McNiven and continues on again until issue #19 when Brubaker drops the book cos he can't keep up with the schedule.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PelvicNerve
May 29, 2003

That'll be the day.
The remaining 29 issues of Brubaker's Cap are part of the Marvel Monday sale along Reborn.
It's not mindblowingly cheap considering you could already get all 35 issues in a bundle for 40 bucks but coupled with last week's sale, it's amazing value.

I didn't comment on the quality of this run in my previous posts but these issues make for a seriously great reading. It's a perfect jumping point for anyone willing to get into Cap. I think Brubaker has a great grasp of the fine balance the character offers between the super hero tales, war stories and espionage thriller aspects. The art helps a lot in that regard as it strikes the right tone and look for the book and is pretty consistent over these 70+ issues. I won't lie, I had previously read Epting in Avengers but this is the run that put him on my radar.

Plus, he really cements that supporting cast and the rogues gallery, to the point where the book floats very well for a long time without its namesake.

Finally, and that's the most satisfying part, the whole story flows (almost) seamlessly from one end to the other, with every new part building up organically on what went on before.

I write "almost" because I still feel Reborn is a tad artificial and doesn't fit particularly well between issues. I guess it was an editorial mandate and it's not a bad story, it just feels a bit sloppy in the middle of that well oiled machinery. These gripes aside, it's still a must-read.

With the Winter Soldier series on sale last week, as well as Cap vol. 6, I guess the only parts of the Brubaker epic I'm now missing digitally are the Marvels Project and the Cap and Bucky issues he cowrote.

Super late edit: scratch that, the bundle is now $30, better than my 33 for 29 issues + the Reborn trade.

PelvicNerve fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Apr 7, 2014

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

Cuz life sucks, kids. Get it while you can.

Is there a way to make custom reading lists or "playlists" in Comixology?

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

TheManWithNoName posted:

Is there a way to make custom reading lists or "playlists" in Comixology?

Nope. It's crazy they haven't added something like that in yet.

Agent Escalus
Oct 5, 2002

"I couldn't stop saying aloud how miscast Jim Carrey was!"
Write 'em a suggestion via the feedback option. I've done that 3 times, and each leads to a personalised reply in my email box! So they do read them, at least.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

I've been asking to have the AR codes be tapable in iOS. Trying to hold my phone up to my ipad is suck

horsepeen
Sep 21, 2010

Christian Financial Adviser
The Comixology tumblr blog just posted that Amazon is acquiring them.

http://comixology.tumblr.com/post/82316305607/amazon-com-to-acquire-comixology

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Welp. As long as they leave the app alone, I don't mind. The Kindle app is terrible for comics.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Interesting. Amazon is everywhere and I have less concern of them shuttering their doors than comiXology. Still, I have less hope in them getting rid of DRM (though Amazon got rid of it in their mp3s, they still have it for their Kindle books).

I'm going to be more comfortable with keeping my credit card info with Amazon than comiXology.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
If it means that one can fianly sort their purchaces such that I don't need to trall thoguh the 100 #1s I got of all of Marvel's poo poo that one time so I can read Ms. Marvel or redownload Megaman then sure.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?
Best case scenario, Amazon's clout keeps Apple from trying their arbitrary censorship again.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

ConanThe3rd posted:

If it means that one can fianly sort their purchaces such that I don't need to trall thoguh the 100 #1s I got of all of Marvel's poo poo that one time so I can read Ms. Marvel or redownload Megaman then sure.

I was just thinking of how awful Amazon is if you want to find a specific volume of a long running series or if you are looking for floppy comics (which, to be fair, are always from 3rd party sellers). I hope they keep digital comics in their own separate section organized with long form story telling in mind and not just lumped in with the rest of the site.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Valiant keeps putting their stuff on sale. I keep buying it for a buck a pop but i'm still not sure what issue I'm upto. :shrug:

It doesn't mark automatically the last issue you read does it?

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

LordPants posted:

Valiant keeps putting their stuff on sale. I keep buying it for a buck a pop but i'm still not sure what issue I'm upto. :shrug:

It doesn't mark automatically the last issue you read does it?

Not if you're reading through a browser, no.

Agent Escalus
Oct 5, 2002

"I couldn't stop saying aloud how miscast Jim Carrey was!"
I hope the ability to use Apple gift cards to buy things is retained. Ever since their dick-waving over royalties a few years ago, you have to use a credit card to buy anything on Amazon and mine have been unusable for about a year. More so, retailers often put the Apple cards on sale, like $85 for a $100 card.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

horsepeen posted:

The Comixology tumblr blog just posted that Amazon is acquiring them.

http://comixology.tumblr.com/post/82316305607/amazon-com-to-acquire-comixology

I'm hoping this leads to less of a drm mess that Comixology is and less occassions when they do a major event and the site goes down for a while, resulting in comics being unavailable.

Unbelievably Fat Man
Jun 1, 2000

Innocent people. I could never hurt innocent people.

404GoonNotFound posted:

Best case scenario, Amazon's clout keeps Apple from trying their arbitrary censorship again.

That ended up being Comixology not bothering to submit things to review from Apple because they were sure they would fail.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

How good is the Immortal Iron Fist that Comixology has on sale today?

$.99 per issue, $29.99 for a 35-issue bundle.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Taerkar posted:

How good is the Immortal Iron Fist that Comixology has on sale today?

$.99 per issue, $29.99 for a 35-issue bundle.

It's awesome. The first 16 issues are the classic Fraction/Aja run (looks like it's missing an Annual and two one-shots (Orson Randall and the Green Mist of Death, The Origin of Danny Rand)). I thought the stuff after dipped in quality at first, then became great again by the end.

Do you like Hawkguy? You'll like Iron Fist.

Edit: whoa, the bundle includes the one-shots and Immortal Weapons issues. Still think there's an annual missing.

Uthor fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Apr 11, 2014

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
Yeah, it's everything except the annual. I was actually coming on to ask if it was worth buying.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

The only duds are the Immortal Weapon One Shots (minus the Fat Cobra issue by Jason Aaron and various artists which is arguably the best issue there).

Favorabilis Solitud
May 18, 2006
And that's the way it was.

Waterhaul posted:

I'm hoping this leads to less of a drm mess that Comixology is and less occassions when they do a major event and the site goes down for a while, resulting in comics being unavailable.

I regret that insanity. I wish I could unpurchase some of those free Marvel #1s so I don't have to scroll past them when looking for something to read.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Favorabilis Solitud posted:

I regret that insanity. I wish I could unpurchase some of those free Marvel #1s so I don't have to scroll past them when looking for something to read.

You can archive them, which is what I did for about 90% so I don't have to constantly scroll past things.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
Forgot to thank you for the info Waterhaul. Cheers.

Oh, and Hate #1 is free now. I loved that book when I was in Uni definitely gonna check it out again!

unl33t
Feb 21, 2004

Anyone know what the deal is with the Wolfskin bundle? The description says it includes 10 issues and lists the Annual among them, but the actual issue listed in the "included with this bundle" breakdown only lists the 9 regular issues, leaving out the Annual.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
Invisibles sale at Comixology. First issue is free. What's good in it? Whole run? Volume 3 seems to be 1.99 :/

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Get it all. Go.
The first major storyline (Arcadia) puts some off because it pulls you away from the world really soon at issue 5, but it's full steam ahead after that.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Apr 15, 2014

Shitshow
Jul 25, 2007

We still have not found a machine that can measure the intensity of love. We would all buy it.
Image is offering 50% off its 10 Eisner-nominated works from April 16-21 across a variety of vendors, including Comixology. There's some great stuff in there.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Nowhere Men worth getting? I haven't seen much talk of it here.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Hakkesshu posted:

Nowhere Men worth getting? I haven't seen much talk of it here.

I got the first trade and really liked it. There is some really cool design stuff in there.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Shitshow posted:

Image is offering 50% off its 10 Eisner-nominated works from April 16-21 across a variety of vendors, including Comixology. There's some great stuff in there.

Awesome!

Image Comics' site really needs a way to add a run of issues to your cart. It's always been slow to refresh and going to each comic one at a time is a pain.

unl33t
Feb 21, 2004

unl33t posted:

Anyone know what the deal is with the Wolfskin bundle? The description says it includes 10 issues and lists the Annual among them, but the actual issue listed in the "included with this bundle" breakdown only lists the 9 regular issues, leaving out the Annual.

They have now updated this bundle to include the Annual, however for some reason they removed the banner advertising this bundle and Gravel from the header. If you go the the pages for the respective titles you can still get the bundles, though.

onefish
Jan 15, 2004

Shitshow posted:

Get stuff from this sale. Especially Rat Queens, Manhattan Projects, Saga, Sex Criminals, and possibly Lazarus and East of West.

Here's the link to the Comixology sale collection page:

https://www.comixology.com/Image-Eisner-Nominees-Sale-Up-to-66-Off/list/1897

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

onefish posted:

Get stuff from this sale. Especially Rat Queens, Manhattan Projects, Saga, Sex Criminals, and possibly Lazarus and East of West.

Here's the link to the Comixology sale collection page:

https://www.comixology.com/Image-Eisner-Nominees-Sale-Up-to-66-Off/list/1897

Well holy poo poo I was just thinking I need to grab Saga when it goes on sale like an hour ago.

EDIT: God drat I either own or want to buy so much of what's here.

Happy Noodle Boy fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Apr 17, 2014

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Also, Pretty Deadly.

PelvicNerve
May 29, 2003

That'll be the day.
Well, I was going to recommend East of West and Zero. I guess we've covered pretty much every title on sale by now.

Looking back, it's amazing how Image went from this Extreme Bllood Strike shithouse of derivative super heroes to a flagship of non super hero stuff.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Some great prices on these TPBs from Marvel this weekend at comiXology.

Bought all but Runaways which I already had.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
What's Batgirl Year One like?

Part of the big DC sale now.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Well, in one of the first major moves made since the Amazon acquisition, Comixology has now been regionalized and Europeans are forced to pay in Euros. I was dreading this, and sure enough comics have suddenly become slightly more expensive, but at least they aren't converting 1:1 so it could be a lot worse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

:stare: