Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
Man who would buy an Art(ists) Edition of something on the iPad? I thought the whole point of those was that they were huge so you got to see what the original art looked like in all it's glory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Senor Candle posted:

Man who would buy an Art(ists) Edition of something on the iPad? I thought the whole point of those was that they were huge so you got to see what the original art looked like in all it's glory.

Paper doesn't have a retina display.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Bahahahahaha

X13Fen
Oct 18, 2006

"Is that an accurate quote? It should be.
I think about it often enough."

Hakkesshu posted:

Well, in one of the first major moves made since the Amazon acquisition, Comixology has now been regionalized and Europeans are forced to pay in Euros. I was dreading this, and sure enough comics have suddenly become slightly more expensive, but at least they aren't converting 1:1 so it could be a lot worse.

Yeah, same for Australia. Comics have gone up by .30c, so every "99c Sale" tag is a bit misleading these days.

I just hope that more comics don't get "region locked", for lack of a better term, because of this.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Please continue to not consider New Zealand a country, Comixology. :)

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Apr 24, 2014

Other
Jul 10, 2007

Post it easy!

Uber Kosh posted:

Yeah, same for Australia. Comics have gone up by .30c, so every "99c Sale" tag is a bit misleading these days.

I just hope that more comics don't get "region locked", for lack of a better term, because of this.

Are you buying from the website or the app? Everything on the site is still the same price for me.

Keeku
Jun 3, 2005

Other posted:

Are you buying from the website or the app? Everything on the site is still the same price for me.

I just checked (also an Australian) and it seems the app has had the price increase, while the website is still showing 99c.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
Japan's hasn't changed but it has gone up and down before depending on exchange rates. It's 100¥ now, highest was 115¥ and lowest 85¥.

PelvicNerve
May 29, 2003

That'll be the day.

Hakkesshu posted:

Well, in one of the first major moves made since the Amazon acquisition, Comixology has now been regionalized and Europeans are forced to pay in Euros. I was dreading this, and sure enough comics have suddenly become slightly more expensive, but at least they aren't converting 1:1 so it could be a lot worse.

It's been this way for a couple of months in France where they basically force you to check out through comixology.fr and won't let you use the .com site.

I've found a workaround for Marvel and DC though: buy through their own digital stores, you'll still be able to pay in USD. That's what I've been doing.

PoshAlligator
Jan 9, 2012

When SEO just isn't enough.

PelvicNerve posted:

I've found a workaround for Marvel and DC though: buy through their own digital stores, you'll still be able to pay in USD. That's what I've been doing.

How strange. Just did this method. I hope they don't fix it anytime soon.

Also, look like there's been some new Marvel Collections on sale too.

X-Men: The Complete Age Of Apocalypse Epic Book 1
$3.99

Winter Soldier Vol. 1: The Longest Winter
$1.99

Annihilation Book One
$1.99

Spider-Man: Big Time
$1.99

Nova Vol. 1: Annihilation - Conquest
$1.99

Interestingly all the other ones (Runaways, Marvel 1602, etc.) still seem to be on sale. Those Spider-Man ones too. Marvel are really hitting it.

Casyl
Feb 19, 2012
Android finally got the update to Marvel Unlimited today! I was never a heavy user of it before but now the comics you load actually fit to screen automatically instead of you having to zoom in every page! Overall reading seems to be a much smoother experience, more akin to Comixology than the terrible way it used to be.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Thank god! :toot:

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Giant Dark Horse Digital 3 year anniversary sale. Everything is 50% off, including already discounted bundles.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

fozzy fosbourne posted:

Giant Dark Horse Digital 3 year anniversary sale. Everything is 50% off, including already discounted bundles.

Cool. In for all the rest of the Mind Mgmt since the last sale.
Anyone know how the Star Wars Wild Space omnibuses are? I'm not really interested in reading any proper SW comics, but those are made out of weird odds and ends like toy and cereal box pack-ins which sounds really fun.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Apr 26, 2014

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

I ended up getting Blacksad, some Evan Dorkin stuff, The Fifth Beetle, Fear Agent, Concrete, The Umbrella Academy, Mind MGMT and Old Boy. Already had Hell Boy, BRPD, Beasts of Burden, Green River Killer and Ragemoor.

This feels insane given that this collection would have cost ONE MILLION DOLLARS 10 years ago. I never imagined having too many comics and not enough time but it has totally happened.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

fozzy fosbourne posted:

You also receive an additional 10% off any order during the sale if you are a newsletter subscriber so check your inbox/spam or go try to sign up I guess.

Casyl
Feb 19, 2012

Teenage Fansub posted:

I'm not really interested in reading any proper SW comics

Probably for the best since the license is moving to Marvel and the existing EU was effectively killed off yesterday.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Some absolutely insane deals on that Dark Horse sale. Makes me wish I had held out a little on buying that Concrete bundle (which all y'all have zero excuse not to buy now, some of the best comics ever). I am gonna spend so much money today. But hey, finally get to read The Black Beetle, and for 3 bux!

Shitshow
Jul 25, 2007

We still have not found a machine that can measure the intensity of love. We would all buy it.
Comixology updated their app and the way you can buy comics; it doesn't seem like you can purchase directly through the app any more.

Important changes to Android and iOS Apps
Android:
We’ve made changes to our Google Play Android Comics App so please, update to version 3.6. In this new version we have a new comiXology in-app purchase system and a great new cart feature, one of our most requested features.
In the new app, you may be prompted to update your payment information to continue purchasing books. This is a one-time action after which you can purchase inside the app.
iPhone & iPad:
We have introduced a new comiXology iPhone and iPad Comics App and are retiring the old one. iPhone and iPad users will now buy comics on comixology.com and download to the app. All your purchased books will be readable in the new app once you’ve downloaded it and taken the following steps:
If you don’t have a comiXology account, go to comiXology.com to create one, or create one in the original Comics app!
In the original Comics app, log into your comiXology account.
Sync your in-app purchases to your comiXology account by tapping the Restore button on the Purchases tab.
Download the new comiXology app. This will be your new home downloading and reading comics.
Start shopping on comiXology.com. New web purchases will appear in the “In Cloud” tab in our new app.
If you have comics downloaded in the old app, no problem! You can continue to read them there without re-downloading to the new app.
Last, but not least, to thank our loyal customers and ease this transition, we are offering a $5 eGift Card credit to all those who have purchased through the comiXology platform in the past. This credit will be automatically applied throughout the day to those accounts who are eligible and all of those eligible have 30 days to purchase books with that credit. Enjoy!
Thanks, everyone!
comiXology Team

PelvicNerve
May 29, 2003

That'll be the day.
So basically, the new iPad comixology app is the old one stripped of its store features? ie it's only the reader part.

My comixology app is currently 100GB, so I'm in no hurry to delete my library and migrate it to the new app.

Meanwhile, I've subscribed to the Dark Horse newsletter and kind of hope I'll receive a 10% off code by tomorrow. To be honest, if I don't, I'll still go ahead and grab a shitload of books before it ends. Amazing sale.

Space_Butler
Dec 5, 2003
Fun Shoe
gently caress Comixology for not considering people with bandwidth caps might not want to redownload their entire existing library because Amazon wants to make more money. This has definitely made me want to buy more of my pulls in print. At least my shop owner won't suddenly show up to my house and tell me I have to move to a new house and living room to read any new comics.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Space_Butler posted:

gently caress Comixology for not considering people with bandwidth caps might not want to redownload their entire existing library because Amazon wants to make more money. This has definitely made me want to buy more of my pulls in print. At least my shop owner won't suddenly show up to my house and tell me I have to move to a new house and living room to read any new comics.

It specifically says you won't have to redownload anything.

It doesn't seem like anything major has changed other than not being able to purchase through the app. Which, why would you do that anyway, you can't buy more than one issue at a time?

Edit: Oh, I misunderstood, they aren't updating the old app, it's an entirely new app. Well, that seems pointless, especially since you can continue downloading to the old one.

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Apr 26, 2014

Space_Butler
Dec 5, 2003
Fun Shoe

Hakkesshu posted:

It specifically says you won't have to redownload anything.

It doesn't seem like anything major has changed other than not being able to purchase through the app. Which, why would you do that anyway, you can't buy more than one issue at a time?

Edit: Oh, I misunderstood, they aren't updating the old app, it's an entirely new app. Well, that seems pointless, especially since you can continue downloading to the old one.
On the old app, the message says

"You'll still be able to read and download your books in this app, for now"

That "for now" pretty much says, to me, at some point we'll be forced over to the new one no matter what for downloading new purchases. So unless I want to only keep reading whatever is on the old app at the time support is turned off, I'll have to slowly split/migrate my collection over. Given how much notice we were given for THIS change, it's probably going to be just as abrupt.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

This sucks.

Amazon buying out Comixology has resulted in a huge loss of functionality because they don't want to give Apple money.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Well gently caress. My brother and I use the same iTunes account for purchases and we buy tons of comics by alternating adding a gift card every week. This completely kills that :smith:

You can't even browse the store in the app. That's stupid.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Well gently caress. My brother and I use the same iTunes account for purchases and we buy tons of comics by alternating adding a gift card every week. This completely kills that :smith:

You can't even browse the store in the app. That's stupid.

Yeah, it's dumb, but it's pretty much exactly how the Kindle app works, so at least it's consistent and they didn't remove any reading features. For what it's worth it probably won't be long before you can use your Amazon account/gift cards to buy stuff.

PelvicNerve
May 29, 2003

That'll be the day.
At the very least, it's safe to assume that the old app won't get updates. Which means that when they finally let you sort and edit your library, create reading lists and whatnot, you'll be poo poo out of luck on the old app.

I guess I'll migrate content slowly from one to the other but yeah, it's going to suck for a lot of people. The $5 credit is a nice gesture but they did a terrible job at explaining why it was so important to have a new app. It really comes across as "our new overlords don't want to pay a dime in IAP to Apple so gently caress usability. Also, here are some new features: blank."

Playing a bit with the new app, the removal of store links means it behaves like the old one when it was offline: no links from the info panel to the store to check what other books the creators did and when you're done reading a book, the only option to keep reading is the next book in the library, no links to download or buy the next book. I haven't tried but I wouldn't be surprised if they also killed off the "next in story arc" links.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I bought an issue through the app once.

It cost more and didn't actually get added to my account until 3 days later.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Aphrodite posted:

I bought an issue through the app once.

It cost more and didn't actually get added to my account until 3 days later.

I bought issues through the app constantly.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

With not having a store on IOS, but keeping it on Android, this has to be to stop paying Apple fees on in-app purchases.

I read a while ago that there's a decent percentage more going to Comixology, the comic companies, creators if done over a browser.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Apr 26, 2014

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

EVGA Longoria posted:

I bought issues through the app constantly.

The delay was because the app store screwed up and probably a one time thing, but the higher cost is always there.

Teenage Fansub posted:

With not having a store on IOS, but keeping it on Android, this has to be to stop paying Apple fees on in-app purchases.

I read a while ago that there's a decent percentage more going to Comixology, the comic companies, creators if done over a browser.

Of course. Apple charges like 30% or something, I think.

Edit: Apparently so does Google, but that's with their billing API. Maybe Android allows you to use your own to save on costs? I've never used the Android one.

Aphrodite fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Apr 26, 2014

Shameless
Dec 22, 2004

We're all so ugly and stupid and doomed.
I'm pretty narked about this. I rarely switch the PC on nowadays and all my purchases are made through the ios app.

And I'm happy to call bullshit on any statements of "more money for the creators", I doubt they'd see another penny for sales.

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

Well, I was very confused and weirded out downloading the new app and following the instructions. They don't make it clear at all the store was removed or why. They just have a "Send us comments if you have questions!" which is stupid, because if they explained anything at all I wouldn't care. But I could see Apple getting mad if this is made apparent, so they can't explain the reason? Or even link the store so you can open it easier? Business is lame.

I'm actually completely understanding of their reasoning, but it sucks cause the web store interface sucks on the iPad. It's just a lot laggier than the app was.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Aphrodite posted:

The delay was because the app store screwed up and probably a one time thing, but the higher cost is always there.

Of course. Apple charges like 30% or something, I think.

Edit: Apparently so does Google, but that's with their billing API. Maybe Android allows you to use your own to save on costs? I've never used the Android one.

It costs exactly the same.

By Apples rules, it HAS to cost the same. There's no higher price, Comixology just gets less money.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Fun fact that rule by Apple was put into place to stop Dark Horse from offering comics at $1.49 if you bought them from their site instead of the Apple IAP. The DHD launch was significantly delayed because of it.

Basically gently caress Apple and I'm glad comiXology made a move to divert profits from the middle man, hopefully to the creators/publishers.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

All of the business pictured, plus the $15 Complete Concrete bundle... oog.. my stomach feels like I ate a whole pizza in one sitting. But happy, too.

The checkout process was a little wonky. As I trimmed down my order list, the discounts would alternately disappear and reappear, causing my bill to double and halve over and over again. Anyone else had to haggle with Dark Horse's website?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
Apple also doesn't allow iOS apps to promote non-IAP means of purchasing in-app content, so the Kindle app and the new comiXology reader app can't link to the web storefront AFAIK.

Shitshow
Jul 25, 2007

We still have not found a machine that can measure the intensity of love. We would all buy it.

Syrinxx posted:

Basically gently caress Apple and I'm glad comiXology made a move to divert profits from the middle man, hopefully to the creators/publishers.

As a matter of policy, Amazon will take the 30% that Apple no longer can.

The loss of the ease of use the comixology app afforded in downloading comics means I'll be buying as many comics as I can straight from the publisher. About half of my pull list is Image anyway, and their digital storefront is pretty decent.

Veg
Oct 13, 2008

:smug::smug::xd:
Such a bizarre situation because the individual apps, like DC Comics, arent affected. I'm guessing they will be but Comixology arent commenting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
No marked read option either? I have 90 gigs downloaded. Ugh.