Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rogue_squirrel
Jan 4, 2007
This new comix app is straight up retarded. I used to buy through the app all the time. It was really convenient as would result in my in buying the next issue in a series when I really shouldn't have. I guess I understand why they are doing it, but ultimately I will buy less comics.

Maybe it's time for me to check out Marvel Unlimited anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Is it that difficult to switch over to the web store on mobile devices?

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Apr 27, 2014

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

I wouldn't be surprised if Amazon is getting ready to promote the Kindle Fire HDX as the premiere comics reading device now that they have comiXology in the fold. I guess it's annoying to people that buy comics from the app (I always just buy them from my PC and read them later) but Amazon is not going to pass up a chance to snatch 30% of comics profits away from their main competitor.

As someone who's very deep in the Amazon ecosystem I'm excited to see what comes next. Maybe there will be free tpbs to borrow with Prime, or additional discounts.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Teenage Fansub posted:

Is it that difficult to switch over to the web store on mobile devices?

Obviously it's not that difficult. But Comixology got a poo poo load of purchases from me in app for the convenience of hitting the end of an issue and hitting the buy button. And the website is garbage at staying logged in on multiple devices.

The flip side of this is that, as a consumer, I've lost functionality I used so Corporation X can take the 30% cut instead of Corporation Y. I get it that they're in it for the money, but it's still a downgrade for me.

Shitshow
Jul 25, 2007

We still have not found a machine that can measure the intensity of love. We would all buy it.

Syrinxx posted:

As someone who's very deep in the Amazon ecosystem I'm excited to see what comes next. Maybe there will be free tpbs to borrow with Prime, or additional discounts.

I'm deep in their ecosystem too, but not one thing about this merger has benefited the consumer so far.

onefish
Jan 15, 2004

The Comixology tumblr suggests adding their webstore as an icon in iOS and says they've recently optimized for mobile, for what that's worth: http://comixology.tumblr.com/post/83936165037/comixology-protip-add-our-webstore-to-your-ipad

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Anything good in the Darkness sale? The new David Hine stuff?

FeedRobots
Jul 18, 2006
feedtherobot.com
I'm sure there is a ton but what's some can't miss stuff in the Darkhorse sale?

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

FeedRobots posted:

Richard Corben Creepy Collection, Concrete Bundle, tons of Hellboy stuff.

I also got the Wrightson and Ditko Creepy collections, the first Predator omnibus, Black beetle bundle, and the Shaolin Samurai bundle.

Veg
Oct 13, 2008

:smug::smug::xd:
Seperating store from reading app means I won't browse while they download. So p much all my impulse buys are finished.

Thats the only bummer about it, the webstores actually good to use and only one transaction instead of each seperately will probably save time.

Just a shame that in New Zealand, the closest comic store to me is about 4 hours. I am at their mercy.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
I've bought codes and used that credit (I'm Hitler) and it all worked under the old app so that's fine.

I'd like to punish them somewhat (until I get tired of it in 3 days) so what are other options for purchasing via Image or IDW?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Shameless posted:

I'm pretty narked about this. I rarely switch the PC on nowadays and all my purchases are made through the ios app.

And I'm happy to call bullshit on any statements of "more money for the creators", I doubt they'd see another penny for sales.

Comixology.com works fine in the iPad's built in Safari.

EVGA Longoria posted:

It costs exactly the same.

By Apples rules, it HAS to cost the same. There's no higher price, Comixology just gets less money.

Apple charges tax.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

FeedRobots posted:

I'm throwing in The Mask Omnibus #1 which contains the original two super violent pre-movie miniseries. Maybe it's because I read them at 13 or 14, but that's good stuff.

Veg
Oct 13, 2008

Comixology just said theres no planned changes to the individual apps right now. Theyre what I use anyway so kinda good but I do like the new checkout system in the webpage.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Veg posted:

Comixology just said theres no planned changes to the individual apps right now. Theyre what I use anyway so kinda good but I do like the new checkout system in the webpage.
Too bad there are no planned changes to the Windows 8 app because holy poo poo it is a horrible abortion.

Agent Escalus
Oct 5, 2002

"I couldn't stop saying aloud how miscast Jim Carrey was!"
Dear fellow thread readers,

Guess why I have a couple hundred bucks on hand in my iOS account most of the time, like the $300 in there right now?

The worst part of this is, Target stores here in Canada give 5% off anything bought with their free debit card, including Apple cards. So, $100 card for that much of digital goods actually costs $95. It adds up.

Or, added up. :(

fozzy fosbourne posted:

I never imagined having too many comics and not enough time but it has totally happened.

Congratulations, you've earned a new Comics Fan merit badge!

Agent Escalus fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Apr 27, 2014

Veg
Oct 13, 2008

Agent Escalus posted:

Dear fellow thread readers,

Guess why I have a couple hundred bucks on hand in my iOS account most of the time, like the $300 in there right now?

The worst part of this is, Target stores here in Canada give 5% off anything bought with their free debit card, including Apple cards. So, $100 card for that much of digital goods actually costs $95. It adds up.

Or, added up. :(

Congratulations, you've earned a new Comics Fan merit badge!

Download the comixology idw, dc or marvel apps and spend your money in them instead

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」

Shameless posted:

And I'm happy to call bullshit on any statements of "more money for the creators", I doubt they'd see another penny for sales.

Cool, so you're calling the creators who have been saying to buy through the website since long before the Amazon purchase for this exact reason liars?

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Nothing too drastic for me as an Android user (Besides not going though Google's IAP System which is a non issue because a) I use my paypal account b) I Mostly buy my pull list (Which amounts to the Archie Video Game stuff and the new Ms. Marvel) via subscriptions anyway) but I can't imagine it getting much better as this continues. One day I will slip, I will allow it to go though Comixology.co.uk and it will bum me out of something I want to read because some fathead in business can't ring out another 20p out of me.

Though if they want to improve the app, now's the time to do that.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 12:30 on Apr 27, 2014

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

So as I said earlier, I just bought a bunch of stuff from the Dark Horse sale, but now every time I try and sync the Dark Horse app on my ipad, it gives me an error message and tells me to try again in a few minutes. Anyone else having this problem?

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

AzraelNewtype posted:

Cool, so you're calling the creators who have been saying to buy through the website since long before the Amazon purchase for this exact reason liars?

Yeah buying through the apps was basically giving Apple/Google free money. No reason to do that when purchasing on the site is so much easier.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

If you're in the EU I found out that you can still pay in dollars if you use retailer-specific digital stores, e.g. https://comicsconspiracy.comicretailer.com/

Shameless
Dec 22, 2004

We're all so ugly and stupid and doomed.

alg posted:

Yeah buying through the apps was basically giving Apple/Google free money. No reason to do that when purchasing on the site is so much easier.

But by removing the convenience of in-app purchases creators may now be getting a lager slice of a much smaller pie.

Convenience is a big issue, especially with tablet users. Having extra hoops to jump through isn't. A good thing.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

Shameless posted:

But by removing the convenience of in-app purchases creators may now be getting a lager slice of a much smaller pie.

Convenience is a big issue, especially with tablet users. Having extra hoops to jump through isn't. A good thing.

Yeah this is going to greatly effect things going forward, especially for smaller/indie publishers. People are going to go to the site to get things they want, not to browse around if they only read stuff on a tablet. That's also ignoring that the main appeal of digital is to make things easier than piracy.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

I honestly don't care at all that I can't make in-app purchases because I never liked doing that anyway - I'd much rather buy stuff all at once than incur a bunch of tiny itunes store charges that take forever to show up in my bank account. But potentially having to redownload everything is a pain in the rear end. Although, as near as I can tell, there's nothing stopping me from just continuing to use the old app? Unless it's just going to disappear from my ipad at some point?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Not buying all at once is why I hardly ever got stuff through the Android app. Now I can!

It depends where I am to how to going to buy. It's sometimes easier to not put in payment info and just go through Google. It's sometimes easier to just sit at a computer and use a keyboard and mouse to browse.

I dunno, I kinda enjoy going through Image's site and downloading files and putting them in folders, so convenience never mattered much to me.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

AzraelNewtype posted:

Sorry, but which creators ever said this? All I ever saw was goons speculating that it meant more money for creators. Maybe I missed it somewhere.

And this whole thing is happening because Amazon bought them out, so I really wonder how long it will last.

xK1
Dec 1, 2003

EVGA Longoria posted:

Sorry, but which creators ever said this? All I ever saw was goons speculating that it meant more money for creators. Maybe I missed it somewhere.

Chris Roberson mentioned it on twitter yesterday, for one. And since Monkeybrain is almost entirely digital, he would know.

sleepingbuddha
Nov 4, 2010

It's supposed to look like a smashed cinnamon roll
I just got an email from Comixology saying they added a $5 gift card to my account. Anyone else get this?

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

sleepingbuddha posted:

I just got an email from Comixology saying they added a $5 gift card to my account. Anyone else get this?

Everybody did, I think. Token of goodwill on account of all the fuckin around.

PoshAlligator
Jan 9, 2012

When SEO just isn't enough.
That's pretty chill of them.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

It's good for a month so I'd wait to see what sales are coming out.

(sure would have been nice to have last week during the Eisner sale)

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

i have to buy all my comics through the marvel website for the MU code to work(which is loving dumb but whatever), so its not a huge inconvienance. Just frustrating that the economic lines are getting so strained that we cant have all-in-one apps anymore.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
Amazing spiderman 1-67 is on sale today for 99 cents each. There is some amazing loving comics and it's hard to not just say buy them all.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

bobkatt013 posted:

Amazing spiderman 1-67 is on sale today for 99 cents each. There is some amazing loving comics and it's hard to not just say buy them all.

With that $5 dollar card you get masterworks #1 for like 4 bucks, that's 1-10 + the 99c sale means I got the first 13 or so issues for 1 buck ninety.

:feelsgood:

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Looking at their mobile site from my phone and all right it's not too terrible to browse/buy poo poo so I'm not as angry as I was. It even has an icon for your bookmark!

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster
Here's a very well-thought-out editorial (by Gerry Conway) on why the changes Amazon brought to ComiXology are so disappointing.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:
That article seems to very "the sky is falling" when at most it just added another step to buying a comic for Ipad users. Also you can't tell me Apple wouldn't have done the same thing to the android platforms if they'd bought Comixology.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Trast posted:

That article seems to very "the sky is falling" when at most it just added another step to buying a comic for Ipad users. Also you can't tell me Apple wouldn't have done the same thing to the android platforms if they'd bought Comixology.

Now I'm imagining them closing comixology and routing everything though iBooks.

Oh God :stonk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

Trast posted:

He quite succinctly addresses both of those points within the article, though it's certainly a matter of opinion. I suppose you either agree or disagree with the concern, time will tell how it all sorts out.