Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Look, they're a new startup, so they could only afford to contract with a small bit mine. There's only so many 1's and 0's in there and they have to be conservative on using them. Maybe as number goes up, they can afford to contract with a bigger mine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!
God I hate tech startups.

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.
Here's John Allison's take on the whole situation;
https://twitter.com/badmachinery/status/1646906155090735104
https://twitter.com/badmachinery/status/1646909658278313987

Allison says better than I could why the Amazon merger really screwed Comixology (and yes, I know Amazon already owned Comixology, but that makes it worse in my book). I used to be a regular buyer from Comixology but the new format makes everything so inconvenient and thus I haven't bought anything from them since.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Ew then. I honestly don't wanna trade digital stuff thanks to steam vomiting a unending wave of worthless cards into my inventory

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

We're going to make comics fun to collect again, just like Marvel in the 90s!

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Great I need digital embossed Shadowhawk#1

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Just got an email that the Marvel Comics App is getting shut down.

https://www.marvel.com/articles/comics/marvel-comics-app-purchases-moving-to-marvel-unlimited

They're saying purchases will be moved to Marvel Unlimited and you should make sure your accounts are linked.

I don't know what this means about getting digital copies of books that you buy. Are those still going to be a thing?

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

It means piracy is a right at this point. They’ve been making those stickers a pain in the rear end for a while now too

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
lmao just tried the linking thing and the Marvel Unlimited app just tells me "no sub associated with this account, check our FAQ page for more". A FAQ page which isn't showing anywhere on this app because the only options are sign in or restore purchases..? So I seem to be in some loop of trying to restore my 1500 purchases only to be denied and have to sign in again only to be denied only to...

What a clusterfuck. Eh, pirate sites it is then, they can get hosed.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Maybe this one

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
This crap is why I only buy IDW Collections.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

IUG posted:

It means piracy is a right at this point. They’ve been making those stickers a pain in the rear end for a while now too

I've generally fallen under the mantle of "make it easy to read and buy and I'll buy legit" and poo poo like that is making me raise the flag. Though I do generally download digital copies of the physical books I buy, but I feel justified in doing that.

Lucifunk
Nov 11, 2005

For Marvel and DC I'm subbed to their services, and I buy indies and just stuff I like the look of or have some sentimental reason to own physically at a shop.

I own a lot of stuff on Comixology. Those sales they would run would be worth it for convenience of just having a copy for travel sometimes. I haven't bought anything but 8 Billion Genies from Amazon since the collapse of Comixology. It was really nice when I was trapped in my house for 3 years during the pandemic and couldn't visit shops. Shame it's dead, I don't see how anyone else will be able to make anything even approaching that scale.

And I'm not judging, but I'm a 46 year old man. I'm not stealing comics. I'm sure spending a lot less on comics today than this time a year or so ago though. If the DC/Marvel services shut down, I would just say bye to them too.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Lucifunk posted:

For Marvel and DC I'm subbed to their services, and I buy indies and just stuff I like the look of or have some sentimental reason to own physically at a shop.

I own a lot of stuff on Comixology. Those sales they would run would be worth it for convenience of just having a copy for travel sometimes. I haven't bought anything but 8 Billion Genies from Amazon since the collapse of Comixology. It was really nice when I was trapped in my house for 3 years during the pandemic and couldn't visit shops. Shame it's dead, I don't see how anyone else will be able to make anything even approaching that scale.

And I'm not judging, but I'm a 46 year old man. I'm not stealing comics. I'm sure spending a lot less on comics today than this time a year or so ago though. If the DC/Marvel services shut down, I would just say bye to them too.

Other than the specific title being the only one to be bought since the end of Comixology, and me being about 10 years younger, this is me.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Hoopla is pretty good for a fair amount of current series if you have a library account somewhere.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I didnt want to give more money to amazon, so I bought the next volume of Monstress on apple (lmao, lmao). the comic reader isnt too bad, pretty much identical functionally to most other pad ones. oddly enough it only has the latest volume, so I guess they decided they needed somewhere else to sell once comixology collapsed.

Sassy Sasquatch
Feb 28, 2013

It used to be that Image sold their comics DRM free straight from their website, that was the best thing. I spent money every week on new series, kept an eye on the release schedule. I stopped buying when they removed that option in favor of Comixology because gently caress Amazon. Sad to be vindicated like this years later but glad I made that decision at the time I guess.

The last place I buy comics and manga from is humble bundles now, when something I might like comes around. (Again, because they sell DRM free) Are there any other platforms that do this?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

I check out everything on Panel Syndicate.

http://panelsyndicate.com/

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Sassy Sasquatch posted:

The last place I buy comics and manga from is humble bundles now, when something I might like comes around. (Again, because they sell DRM free) Are there any other platforms that do this?

Google Play's books allows the option for DRM free downloads. When you click "about this book" if it says "this content is DRM free" under Content Protection, you can download a cbz or epub etc, whatever file the author wants up there. So I get some Image comics that way.

2000AD has an online store with DRM free downloads too, the same files that you see in their HumbleBundles etc. But for sure it's a messy time for digital comics.

Also a couple months ago, Image and others announced they're joining this Omnibus comics app thing. Which said they'll have DRM free downloads etc. Hopefully this works out.

https://twitter.com/theomnibusapp

Sassy Sasquatch
Feb 28, 2013

Neat, thanks!

I saw that Omnibus announcement upthread, I really hope it works out cause it would fit the bill nicely for my needs.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Viz just launched a mobile app that has access to tons of the manga they’ve published in the US. While the Shonen Jump app has stuff owned by Shueisha, the Viz app has a lot of comics owned by Shogakukan.

For a subscription of $2 a month you get access to the works of Rumiko Takashi, Junji Ito, Taiyo Matsumoto, and more. It’s a ridiculously good deal. I’d really recommend it if you like Japanese comics

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

That is cool, been meaning to read more of those classics. Collected all of the Ranma books, only read the first 7 or so back in the day.

Random question, does the Viz app have zoom fix? Where you can set a zoom level and save it, without having to reset for each page? Like you can do in PerfectViewer, Honeyview etc?

I'm guessing it doesn't, I don't use any official readers, because I need my fix. Zoom fix.

edit: Well, I tried it, it's not good for me. Landscape orientation automatically shows two pages side by side, and there's no options or customizing at all etc. I don't know why the official readers suck, but I'll just continue not using them. The free image viewers have had these options since the 90s.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 04:02 on May 10, 2023

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

Never read OG longshot before love Adams and Nocenti s work and this is loving bad for both

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Arthur Adams has been one of my Top Five comic artists ever since I was in elementary school in the '80s. I am slowly collecting every comic he drew, which is an attainable goal because he is talented, but not prolific,
and not a popular superstar artist whose back issues command high prices.

But when I finally read Longshot several years ago, I was strangely disappointed by it, even recognizing the characters from the more polished Excalibur: Mojo Mayhem graphic novel (written by Claremont rather than Nocenti). The Longshot miniseries was just weird, almost like "outsider art."

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

The paneling makes for some confusing mess for what the characters say on the same page
Doesn't help longshot is a real dumbass

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Reminder: Marvel Comics shutting down in two days.

https://www.marvel.com/articles/comics/marvel-comics-app-purchases-moving-to-marvel-unlimited

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

"You had best not do that, Avatar!"

Expected but still the end of an era in a way.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

loving Amazon. :(

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

As someone new to comics and lucky enough to have a real good local shop just 20 minutes away I’ve just been buying physical books but was wondering about if digital would be a good idea because of storage down the line but :stare: uh seems like might not be a good idea to jump in on digital right now

I dunno what’s happened the past two years but it’s like every digital content platform had a collective moment of “what if we made our services pure poo poo?”

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Digital is fine for the big two, at least. The Marvel app is gone but they just folded into Marvel Unlimited which is still pretty good

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

I've just been getting out of the house more. I know, I know.

And bringing my tablet with me so I can read comics on the go!

Right now I'm subbed to the DC app and it's super annoying to use when you are offline. There's a pop up telling me I need to read in offline mode that I can't click away and I can't look at my lists at all. I can only see what I downloaded, in the order it got saved to my iPad, which is generally not the reading order.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Dr. VooDoo posted:

As someone new to comics and lucky enough to have a real good local shop just 20 minutes away I’ve just been buying physical books but was wondering about if digital would be a good idea because of storage down the line but :stare: uh seems like might not be a good idea to jump in on digital right now

I dunno what’s happened the past two years but it’s like every digital content platform had a collective moment of “what if we made our services pure poo poo?”

If you like the big two and are fine with digital, you might try one of their subscription services to read older comics. I will say the Marvel app is significantly more annoying than the DC one, neither are actually great, but you can generally find what you're looking for on both.

Lucifunk
Nov 11, 2005

One issue I've found in the DC app since I upgraded to Ultra is when I'm reading a series, it will throw the trades in and throw off the entire reading order. I have to go back to the series and pick up with the next monthly issue. Just happened last night when I was catching up on Nitewing and Zdarsky's Batman both.

I get physical if I really like a variant cover and want to display it for a while in my office from the big 2, and I get all my indies physical again since Comixology was taken out behind the barn and shot.

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
I’ve had zero issues with comixology personally. I do wish digital was cheaper than print, but I also wish I was a few inches taller and that’s not gonna happen either

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Yeah I never stopped using Comixology either. It’s perfectly fine.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Like 99% of my purchases came from buy 1 get 1 sales that happened several times a year and haven't at all since the integration with the Amazon store. For full price, I'm just going to buy a physical book from a local shop.

If it wasn't locked into comixology via DRM, I'd consider paying full price, but I'm not going to have my media locked into them.

Edit: I also buy Blu-rays and vinyl records (and DRM-free mp3s). :corsair:

Uthor fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Jun 7, 2023

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
The internet is a vast place and I know if I need a backup of something I bought because of DRM they’re not hard to find

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Joe Fisto posted:

I’ve had zero issues with comixology personally. I do wish digital was cheaper than print, but I also wish I was a few inches taller and that’s not gonna happen either

Comixology Unlimited is $6 per month and gives a discount on most major publishers in addition to having a large collection of stuff to read (including some surprisingly good originals). Depending on how much you're reading, it may end up paying for itself.

Scuba Trooper
Feb 25, 2006

Comixology still manages to have the best app, even after the Amazon changes, but the lack of a decent storefront killed its usefulness for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I think the other big killer for anyone not in the US is the double whammy of them pulling support for in-app purchasing on Android and just pulling the option to subscribe to series. Like, those two things make using Comixology so much more of a hassle for me that it's literally easier to just subscribe to Unlimiate/Infinite.