Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Smilin Joe Fission
Jan 24, 2007
Is this the right place to discuss the desktop and television displays we're using to read digital comics? If not, maybe someone could point me in the right direction.

I had been reading digital comics on my iPad for awhile, but just recently installed YACReader on my Windows 7 desktop, and holy poo poo- I don't know what I was expecting but I'm blown away by how good everything looks on the huge (compared to what I'm used to with my iPad) and bright display. I've got two 24" displays that are nothing special (Dell U2410 and U2415), but very nice for 1900x1200. 16:10 is infinitely preferable to me for spreadsheet work, coding, gaming, and everything else. Both are IPS panels and look very good at the high brightness levels I prefer for digital comics (and really for most things).

I experimented with fitting to the screen, which was alright but it would be nice to use more of the screen instead of just a relatively narrow strip down the middle. Fitting to width was a nice improvement, utilizing 100% of the 16:10 24" display, but of course needing to scroll down to see more than about a third of the page was not ideal. I'm glad I kept experimenting, because I hit the jackpot when I tried rotating one of the two monitors to portrait orientation and switched to full page view. It uses essentially the entire screen, which fits a standard page pretty nicely without needing to scroll and looks great. I still prefer paper, but if I hadn't grown up with it and was just starting today, it's hard to see how I wouldn't prefer the bigger and brighter displays paired with the convenience factors of digital comics.

I can see myself reading comics a lot this way in the future. I'm trying to figure out if I should just get a third 16:10 display (possibly even just another U2415) and keep it in perma-portrait mode so I don't have to constantly be switching it back and forth. Or should I take this opportunity to upgrade to something bigger and better for reading digital comics? Anyone mount a large monitor or even a TV in portrait mode for mostly or solely the purpose of reading digital comics?

Edit: It occurred to me that a multi-monitor solution for digital comics would be completely badass! I can think of many ways you could use more than one display (Viewing multiple pages at once, or having one display show the full page while the other is a movable and resizable magnifying glass, etc.) Anyone know of reader software that supports more than a single display?

Smilin Joe Fission fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Jan 10, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smilin Joe Fission
Jan 24, 2007
double post

Smilin Joe Fission
Jan 24, 2007
Anyone read comics with a VR headset? Seems like it would be quite immersive, like watching movies on a headset.

Edit: Especially with active noise cancellation headphones to provide extra isolation from ambient sound.

Smilin Joe Fission fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Jan 11, 2019

Smilin Joe Fission
Jan 24, 2007
I would guess that over time some really, really great upscaling algorithms will be developed for post-processing of hand drawn (or quasi-hand drawn using digital paintbrush, pencil, etc) art. The gaming industry has made some impressive strides toward addressing the issue of how to view older, lower resolution media on modern, larger, and higher resolution displays. One game that stands out to me is Sonic 3 and Knuckles (and in fact all games on the Sega Megadrive/Genesis Classics Collection on Steam). There are a wide variety of possible filters and layers for upscaling, with more being developed all the time. With all of the exotic, high end filters and upscalers turned on, unless someone were to actively look for specific post-processing artifacts that would give it away as upscaling... it would be very easy to assume that the game was developed in 1080p natively. I love thinking about how those graphics are actually being generated by the same underlying code as when I played the game on my 480i television in 1994.

If you're familiar with fractal geometry, or cellular automata such as "Game of Life", I think there are many parallels. A relatively simple function can generate a set of infinite complexity, detail, or "resolution" no matter how far you zoom into the graph. There are "details" the original artist never envisioned or predicted, but by feeding a sample of their artwork into the system they've created a basic set of rules from which infinite complexity can stem. In a decade or two, the machine learning algorithms will probably be "smart" enough to attempt to learn the artist's style and adhere to it.

Needless to say this will be controversial as hell. Is it ethical to allow a program to study and recreate an artist's style? Is that a case of respectfully paying homage, or is it a rip off, or even a forgery or case of copyright infringement if a program copies an artist's signature style? How will comic artists feel about the images they've drawn on a page being scanned in and redefined as a set of mathematical functions, which are then run recursively and infinitely to "draw" details onto the page that the artist never intended? Welp, I'm not sure how I ended up on a tangent talking about all this mad scientist poo poo... Oh well, better a tangent line than a NORMAL line at any rate.

I actually wear my noise cancelling headphones a lot of the time when I'm reading comics or other stuff. I turn the noise cancellation on maximum, yet I'm only listening to the sounds of silence. And I ain't talking about Simon and Garfunkel!