Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vkeios
May 7, 2007

Uthor posted:

I want this! But I can't claim it for another two hours or so. I'd someone snags it before I won't be mad.

well, here's another chance.
BOOM50-X50FV

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vkeios
May 7, 2007

Yeah, sadly the only platform Yacreader isn’t on is Android. The creators not against it mind you, it’s just too much for him without some extra help.

Really good app though. I got the server running on a computer with my library and my laptops can access that over smb or ill download the comics to my iPad.

vkeios
May 7, 2007

I once got handed an elephantman issue for free at a con. I’m not sure it was even worth that price.

vkeios
May 7, 2007

Been messing with the Shonen Jump sub, so I figured I'd report in with some thoughts.

You can totally just download the app and see what their selection is without having to subscribe, but there's one small catch, you can't read the collected volumes for free, just chapters. Most series offer both options available, but certain popular series like One Punch Man or Tokyo Ghoul don't offer chapters. There's also a few chapters you can read for free (like One Piece #1-3!!) to try out the comic viewer.

Downloaded chapters automatically get deleted after 7 days.
Also there's no indicator if you've read a chapter or not, so good luck trying to keep track of where you are in One Piece without using up your 100 chapters a day.
There needs to be some kind of way to bookmark or favorite a series, so I'm not scrolling through the entire list of comics. Also on that note, their search seems broken.

vkeios fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Dec 20, 2018

vkeios
May 7, 2007

The first series is legit one of my favorite Japanese comics. Second series is still good imo but it’s very different in feel and also mostly a martial arts tournament.

So yeah buy it all.

Edit: first series is just plain Battle Angel Alita and is 9 volumes.
The sequel is Last Order and is 19 volumes, most of which can be picked up in omnibuses which contain 3 volumes each if I remember right.
Lastly is Mars Chronicles, which I gotta admit I haven’t started reading yet, so I don’t know poo poo beyond read it after all the others.

vkeios fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Feb 16, 2019

vkeios
May 7, 2007

Medullah posted:

My dream app is something like Plex for comics, tracking what's read and unread, gathers metadata, etc.

The closest I found was YACReader. I should warn there’s no multi-user support, so read/unread tracking will get real messed up if you have multiple people. But it can pull data from Comicvine and it has a desktop app in addition to the iOS one.

vkeios
May 7, 2007

For manga, most of the publishers sell on every major ebook store and sometimes Bookwalker as well, so its not too hard to avoid Amazon. Some small publishers like Denpa have their own web store for DRM-free downloads as well. Kodansha randomly puts stuff on Humblebundle.

Viz's subscription service is for Shonen Jump titles, so its limited in what kinds of comics you get.

vkeios
May 7, 2007

Srice posted:

It turns out that reinstalling the app did fix my problem, though unfortunately I had over 30 GB of stuff downloaded and it's gonna be a hassle to redownload it all.

if it makes you feel better. I didn’t have to reinstall the app and I still have to redownload everything.

Unfortunately, I don’t see the super helpful smart list of “poo poo I’m reading” anymore, so this will be a pain in the rear end figuring out what I want to download.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vkeios
May 7, 2007

I was unaware libraries had membership fees. Is that for if you don’t live in the county or something?

Edit: wow, mine does offer memberships for a fee. It’s $180 a year.