Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Just FYI for anyone trying to get these in Comixology, at least in the Android app, don't forget the hyphen in Scooby-Doo. Only searching for "scooby" or searching for "scooby doo" will only find the Scooby Apocalypse series which isn't free. (This feels like karmic justice for every time I called someone out for forgetting the hyphen in Spider-Man)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Yeah, grab Red. Only real context you need is older Jean Grey is back.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Uthor posted:

Now I'm curious: is MU going to change their gap because of coronavirus?

They haven't said anything, they did release all four issues of Donny Cates Thor to coincide with issue five coming out when the delay would normally mean only the first issue would be released. The still have some odd gaps in their back catalog, Generation X is missing issues 12-25, X-Factor has smaller but very conspicuous holes in the teens, probably other comics have similar ones, so it'd be a good time to fill them.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

War of the Realms isn't listed but for other events, under Browse you can view a bunch of different events and they'll let you read them in publication order. Of course this means they have every single tie-in in the reading order which is annoying for its own reasons. Useful for some of the older X-Men events because those were often set-up so that you did have to read every issue.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

I don't buy much on Comixology but I've seen people post about large sales where a bunch of stuff is a buck an issue.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

site posted:

well, this was a strange way of finding out my comixology account has disappeared

I think the site is having issues, it doesn't think my email has an account either but I can log into the app just fine.

Edit: and I may have broken the app by adding too many things to the cart.

Air Skwirl fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Sep 5, 2020

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Yeah, same issue but could login through the Amazon login not comixology.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Uthor posted:

I was going by Wikipedia, which says MU has 27,000. That puts DC at 84% of MU.

I remember people complaining about the library when it launched, but I haven't paid any attention and don't know if they've added to it.

At launch it was a a curated collection of like a thousand comics.

I'm pretty sure DC has a larger back catalog than Marvel, since they had a 20+year headscarf too.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Kieron Gillen/Jamie McKelvie Image Comics humble bundle, has pretty much everything they've done including all of The Wicked + The Divine

https://twitter.com/McKelvie/status/1311373334370713601?s=20

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Retro Futurist posted:

I got the first volume of Wicked and Divine from another bundle and wound up picking the rest up and blasting through. Starts a bit slow but there's a bit of a twist at the end of the first arc that changes the whole status quo up in cool ways.
Are the others good? Even having read that one might be worth it for the other books. I have vol 1 of phonograph from another bundle and will probably wind up tracking it all down again anyways

DIE is loving excellent so if you already like Wicked I'd at least pledge enough for the first volume (I think Humble Bundle's let you upgrade later if you want)

If you like the first volume of Phonogram the rest is probably good, I don't have the same affection for Brit Pop that they do, being a decade younger and not British.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

I'm on android, but Humble Bundle comics are generally in both CBR/CBZ format and PDF and there's gotta be multiple options for both on iPads.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Retro Futurist posted:

I use cloudreader and it means I have to download the cbz/cbr files individually, then open them in cloudreader and wait for them to load, then back out to do the next one. It's not the end of the world or anything but it winds up taking 3-5 min per book

I put cbz files in a single folder and read them and when I'm done it automatically loads the next one alphabetically, which means i occasionally need to rename poo poo or back out and find the next book manually but that never takes more than a minute.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

It doesn't expire and you can download them as many times as you want.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

FoneBone posted:

currently using a work system with IT policies that don't permit me to install programs without an admin login. is there a CBR/CBZ reader I can run without an installation?

Huge pain in the rear end, but cbz and cbr files are literally just renamed zip and rar files so worst case scenario you can change the extension to either .zip or .rar and open them normally and you've got a bunch of numbered jpgs

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Oh, for anyone who was wondering how Marvel Unlimited was gonna handle comics being canceled for a month then only having a couple books every other week for most of the summer, they just released what looks like everything they published from may through September 2. Assuming they don't re instate the delay somehow it looks like Unlimited is gonna be on a 5 week delay for new comics instead of 6 months.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Uh, looking again it's just a small selection of more recent books.

And they added a bunch of adaptations of classic literature first published in the 70s

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

I've pirated comics that I had access to on Unlimited just because it made the reading order easier.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

hup posted:

Occasionally ComiXology and (I think) DC Universe have story arc “read next” options, but they’ve been few and far between

Unlimited has some events in reading order, but that's only useful if you want to read everything.

Like recently I wanted to re-read Infinity, but I only really care about the main event split between Avengers, New Avengers and Infinity, I don't want every single other tie-in.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

hup posted:

Jesus Christ, that sounds obnoxious. It’s great for Seven Soldiers, though!

Original Sin (7 issue main title) has 59 issues.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

enigmahfc posted:

So does panel view just...not work in Marvel Unlimited? I just signed up today, and panel view does not work with Chrome on my desktop nor on my iPhone 8 app. Everything is updated.

It works on my android tablet.

It's very bad with older comics though.

Edit: at the moment Marvel Unlimited doesn't work at all on my tablet, it's a very bad app.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Billy Gnosis posted:

(and also the Dazzler masterworks because I have to know)

oof

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

X-O posted:

I definitely have the issue more often on DC's app it seems. Getting from one issue to the next is a chore at times. And then sometimes if I have to kill it then it will forget that I've already read the issue I just finished. At least the Marvel one doesn't have that problem.

I've been thinking about getting the DCUniverse app, but if it's even worse than Marvel Unlimited then I'm probably gonna wait.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Vince MechMahon posted:

There's things that are better. Being able to add custom reading lists is something I still can't believe marvel doesn't do.

Oh poo poo, yeah, I've been saying Marvel needed that for like 5 years.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

OptimusShr posted:

How are the Darth Vader books? I heard they were good

Didn't Kieron Gillen do a chunk of them? He hasn't ever written a comic I hated.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Oh is it all the old Dark Horse stuff?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

IUG posted:

I hope Image, IDW, etc make their own apps. It'll be poo poo, but I'd rather deal with Amazon less at this point.

Yeah, it'd be pretty easy to verify purchases to transfer stuff.

Little surprised Marvel disabled the ability to buy comics in Unlimited. Used to be when you hit the end of a what was available there for a still ongoing series you'd have a "buy" button for the next issue, now it just says "coming soon" and has a picture of the cover.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Medullah posted:

Sigh. This is why people pirate poo poo.

Yeah, the key to defeating piracy is making paying money for something easier than pirating it. Not making it harder to legally buy poo poo and easily read it.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

IUG posted:

Yup there goes me buying on Comixology. I wonder if some creators are fleeing to substack because of this.

Probably not. If they were publishing through Image, sales on Comixolgy was Image's headache, not the creators.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Medullah posted:

It's why I never feel guilty for :filez: when I own a Blu-ray. It takes 9 hours to get to the menu to play the stupid movie.

Oh, for comic books I :filez: a proper reading order for marvel crossovers that don't have a built in reading order in Marvel Unlimited.

The ability to make and share a reading order for comics in Marvel Unlimited (or possibly the DC version, I haven't tried it yet) would be a loving game changer.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Heavy Metal posted:

Ditto. At least 2000AD still lets you download their books, they do it right.

I did like when Image used to do it on their site, and many books would still let you get that DRM free download on comixology. Not allowing that option anymore is corporate lameness up the wazoo.

I gotta have it in Perfect Viewer, gotta have zoom fix remembered between pages, and it's nice to have it to backup in case a service goes awol later on etc.

I don't understand how comixology's viewer is so terrible and lacking in options. If that's the dystopian future of the medium, at least make it well done. Even the most basic PC viewers like Honeyview let you pick and save a zoom level. It's a must.

Prime Video is the absolute worst streaming service in terms of browsing for something new to watch that isn't something they're pushing atm. Not surprising the UI for Comixology has not improved at all since Amazon bought them.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Heavy Metal posted:

When you're right you're right, kinks to work out there. Their recent stuff is high res at least. Definitely higher quality than back when they were on clickwheel. And their vintage releases seem to be fixed up compared to then too, here's that Judge Death bit from Case Files 3 (via the Humble Bundle release, which seems the same as their own site's release):

But definitely, all Bolland art should be in even more pristine form than that. It belongs in a museum!

You belong in a museum.

(I was just going with the Indiana Jones reference, I agree with you).

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Oh poo poo, unlimited downloading is loving awesome.

Edit: more on depth explanation of the changes.
https://www.theverge.com/platform/a...impression=true

quote:

Users will also be able to save an entire series or run of issues to their libraries with one tap, instead of having to laboriously save individual issues.

Air Skwirl fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Sep 9, 2021

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Marvel lets you buy comics directly from them. And their subscription service adds everything with a 3 month delay plus a massive back catalog.

Haven't actually bought anything from them so it might be just a comixology code or something.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Are they left to right or right to left? I'm way too old and it hurts my brain to read right to left on a longer work.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Oh, just so people remember, if you care about the charity that's getting some of the money, go to the custom sliders for how the money is divided, the default options give barely anything to the charity

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

ToxicFrog posted:

So, Lone Wolf & Cub is one of those classics that I see mentioned all the time but know very little about, and I've never even heard of the other stuff listed there. Is it still worth reading today, coming at it with neither nostalgia nor academic interest in the evolution of the form?

I found some sample pages that I think are from this edition (Dark Horse 28-volume) and they're flipped, so they read left-to-right.

I've read the first couple volumes before (probably physical copies of the same Dark Horse release) and Lone Wolf and Cub is absolutely worth reading if you like action comics with a nice dose of heartwarming father stuff. Really good action sequences.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Rincewinds posted:

Humble Bundle having a Ed Brubaker bundle if one enjoys gritty film noir.

https://www.humblebundle.com/books/ed-brubaker-image-comics-books

Just a reminder to everyone thinking about this, make sure to manually change the payout percentages, the defaults, even the one that's supposed to be the most supportive of charities, completely gently caress charities.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Opopanax posted:

I guess I'm an old crank because I have no idea who or what substack is?

It's a blog that has paywalled content.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

If you have a monopoly on a product or service there is absolutely no motive in making that better for consumers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

The fraction of income Amazon makes from digital comics is probably less than what they are afraid would happen if warehouse workers anywhere unionized so that's their focus. So we'll just spend less money on this so we can pay the Pinkertons more money to spy on union leaders and hopefully ruin their lives.