Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

So is Marvel's code redemption thing poo poo, or just me? I did have a self-created problem with it always reporting my login/password was wrong, but that was my ad blocker.

My current problem is just how often it says a code is redeemable. Since I figured out my login issue, I grabbed the last year of issues that I didn't redeem at the time. However, some codes just don't redeem, saying there was "an error redeeming". Some I assumed because those stickers don't always separate cleanly and you have to guess some missing letters. But some of them are clear as day, and they don't redeem. The codes don't expire for months, so I'm not sure if I have another browser plugin interfering. However, I tried it on my iPhone with the same problems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

For me it's Deadpool 9, 12, 13, 15, 16. Some of them are legibility problems, but at least one is clear as day but won't redeem. (I also need to redeem #1 which is expired, but I had 2+. I'm hoping if I give them a code for 1 they'll give me that one issue, as that's the only one that wouldn't be a part of my collection. It's like 2 months expired.)

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Now that you said that, I tried again with West Coast Avengers #2 to the end. Not one redeemed! I'm going to try the codes at work tomorrow...

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Uthor posted:

You can get 193 issues of The Walking Dead for $18.
https://www.humblebundle.com/books/walking-dead-image-comicsskybound-entertainment-books

I grew bored of the series a few hardcovers in (was borrowing them from a friend), but am tempted anyway...

Looks like that's the complete series, including the Negan mini story they did with those Image+ comics a while ago. I already have it all in hard cover, but $18 for everything is drat tempting.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

So due to a change in circumstances, I think I'm going to have to go digital with comics (I find out on Monday basically). Someone mentioned that there's a browser plugin for Comixology that will download/convert your comics into CBR files for you. Can anyone link that?

Also, is Humble Bundle basically it for a site that sells comics that allows you to download them as DRM free files? I missed out on the Hickman one last month, and they don't seem to have a store, just their sales.

At least I used to redeem those digital codes from the Marvel books.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Endless Mike posted:

Image comics on Comixology can all be downloaded DRM-free.

Ah, I don't have Image comics through them, since I mainly just used the Marvel Redeem and have that linked to Comixology. Therefore, the backup page was empty. But I could have sworn I saw someone on here say that there's a utility that will just skim your cache or something to get you CBRs from your collection.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Ah boo. I could do the :filez: route if I wanted to, but I figured I'd try as close to legit as I could.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

That works perfectly, and wasn't a pain to set up at all. I'm just going to have to go through the 1,222 comics I apparently have on there. I think I only bought like two volumes of One-Punch Man, everything else is just Marvel comics I redeemed from that code. Thanks!

I'm going to have to see if I can run that server side comic server on my Synology drive now...

EDIT:

the guy from Semisonic posted:

but it does have the annoying problem of marking each comic it scans as "Read" in your collection.
This doesn't seem to be the case right now. Squirrel Girl #1, for example, is unread still. However the "Scan" button now says "Rescan" to let you know which ones you have downloaded.

IUG fucked around with this message at 20:11 on May 7, 2020

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I just pulled the first volume of Squirrel Girl, and the resolution of the first issue is 1073 x 1650 pixels for every page. The CBZ files are 10-13 MB in size.

I also tried to install Ubooquity on my Synology drive, and that failed pretty hard. It seems that no one has attempted in years, the .conf file isn't what the guides say it is, and there's no posts with answer on their forum for anyone who has had a problem with it. :shrug:

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Uthor posted:

Got an email from Marvel saying they are shutting down their digital store and migrating everything to comiXology. I am having trouble finding a link to the news, this is copy and pasted from my email.

It's like they knew I was going to start using that service, and went running into the opposite direction.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

How good is the Fire tablet for reading comics? I imagine it's got to be decent, seeing as Amazon own Comixology. But can you use Marvel Unlimited on it? (Is there an app?)

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Yeah, I'm going to probably go that route. I just wonder how well you can be a "weekly" reader with Marvel Unlimited. That'll be the one thing I'll miss, is getting a 10ish comics a week to read.

Also, I saw there's a 10" that wasn't part of the sale, and now I'm going to wait until Prime Day or whatever and hope that it is on sale then. Seems like I should spring for the extra screen size if the main reason for buying one is for reading comics.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Uthor posted:

I doubt anyone that reads this thread hasn’t heard of the current forum drama, but I signed up for the discord (check the chat thread) and I’ll try to cross post any dealz that pop up. I highly doubt we need a Digital Comics 101 section anymore, though.

Well, I'm just starting digital comics (or will be with any new series going forward) since I have a daughter on the way. So this thread was useful to me in the last week or two for that kind of info. Assuming this whole site doesn't get ditched.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Just put down the down $4 for Chunky's Pro mode so I can browse my NAS. Finally something for my Humble Bundle downloads. It hasn't been updated in a year though, so hopefully I don't regret it. But I already downloaded 4 volumes of comics to the app from my Synology drive, so it is already what I wanted.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

There's no other way to buy comics from Humble Bundle except for the bundles they have on sale, correct? I would love to buy more comics that way and without giving Bezos money over at Comixology. (He says, as he did pay with Amazon on the last bundle.)

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

How does Comixology Unlimited compare to Marvel Unlimited? I was thinking of moving over to Marvel Unlimited and buy the stuff from anyone else. Or should I just do Comixology Unlimited without the Marvel Unlimited? For Marvel I'm just reading the current X-Men books.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Alright, I'm finally making the jump to digital for real, now that I've listed my trade collection on Craigslist.

I'm looking at Comixology's sales, and is 50% basically as high as they'll go for sale prices? I'm just wondering if I should bother buying up the rest of the trades for stuff I'm in the middle of reading (almost entirely Image comics, and just Injustice for DC). I was also going to buy up entire runs of stuff I'm selling off, but most of it is Image, and I figured that I should wait until I want to read them again just in case Humble Bundle ever does another good bundle.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Well I just did the first three volumes of Injustice and everything I needed to catch up on Chew, since those trades averaged to a buck each. I'm going to keep holding off on Image stuff thanks to Humble Bundle. I've got plenty in that last bundle I have to read still anyways, but Chew I'm already 6 volumes in.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

The Amazon Fire tablets are on sale, so I just grabbed the 10HD for $100, $50 off(plus the extra $15 because I don't want to see the ads).

https://www.engadget.com/amazon-sale-fire-tablets-fire-tv-095558668.html

This is going to be my primary comic reading device, plus I'm going to throw Kodi on it.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

And now Dark Horse is doing 50% off on Comixology. Which is great, as one of the last paperback trades I had just read was BPRD. I think I'm going to replace my library editions with the Omnibus ones digitally, since the read order I have seems to go that way a bit easier. (Hell, I can't even imagine why they would do the Library edition in digital, since you're not getting those nice oversized book formats.)

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Loving that top tier there. :dogtits:

(I couldn't find the smilie that was that one tiny gif of the goon flashing, so have the horrible furry one instead.)

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I just spent a few hours setting everything up for Ubooquity and I'm wickedly underwhelmed and will likely uninstall it.

What's the best reader for Android (specifically the Fire HD 10)? I'm looking for something that can browse SMB shares, let you read from them (if I'm home) or download them to the device (if I'm not going to be home when I use it). Basically, the Chunky viewer for iOS, but an Android/Amazon version.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Retro Futurist posted:

I wish Humble would get a reader app. I just have my iPad and no computer so it's a real pain in the rear end to get this stuff going.
Although I haven't been able to get the gaming app working right for months so maybe I should be careful what I wish for

Get Chunky for your iPad, and setup a SMB share. It's like $5 for that function, but it's worth it.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

This is my Chunky setup on my iPad. These are all Humble Bundle or Comixology DRM free downloads. The menu in the top right is browsing my SMB share on my NAS, but you can of course share from any computer you have. All the covers you see behind that are the comics downloaded to the iPad. It couldn't be easier once you have it setup, and it's worth the few bucks to browse your network.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I did miss that!

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Can anyone say if anything in this list from the last Humble Bundle is worth reading? I haven't heard of any of these:

badweekend.cbz
bitterroot_vol1.cbz
bogbodies.cbz
cowboyninjavikingcompleteedition.cbz
exorsisters_vol1.cbz
exorsisters_vol2.cbz
fearagent_vol1.cbz
fearagent_vol2.cbz
fearagent_vol3.cbz
fearagent_vol4.cbz
giantsizekungfubiblestories.cbz
hedra.cbz
jupiterslegacy_vol1.cbz
mage_vol1.cbz
mage_vol2.cbz
moonshine_vol1.cbz
moonshine_vol2.cbz
multiplewarheads_vol1.cbz
november_vol1.cbz
oldguard_vol1.cbz
plastic.cbz
prideandjoy.cbz
rockcandymountain_vol1.cbz
rockcandymountain_vol2.cbz
rumble_vol1.cbz
rumble_vol2.cbz
rumble_vol4.cbz
rumble_vol5.cbz
rumble_vol6.cbz
severed.cbz
skyward_vol1.cbz
skyward_vol2.cbz
skyward_vol3.cbz
strangetalentoflutherstrode_vol1.cbz
twistedromance.cbz
underwinter_vol1.cbz
underwinter_vol2.cbz

(The rest I knew of, or was something like Savage Dragon, which I know I won't read.)

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I hope Image, IDW, etc make their own apps. It'll be poo poo, but I'd rather deal with Amazon less at this point.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Yup there goes me buying on Comixology. I wonder if some creators are fleeing to substack because of this.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Yeah my shop had all the X-Men comics missing the stickers for about a month. Supposedly last week’s comics are going to be the last of the missing sticker issues. I submitted my pictures to Marvel over the weekend and got my replacement codes today. Last week it was less than 24 hours to resolve the 5 issues, so at least Marvel was quick on it.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I guess I’m an old crank, because I have no interest in substack at all. Not to mention who else they also platform.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

How are the Marvel digital codes going to work? Redeem them and read them in the new poo poo Amazon app?

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I love The Unsound, but have heard no one else talk about it, which is a bummer. That’s worth it for the bottom tier alone.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

It means piracy is a right at this point. They’ve been making those stickers a pain in the rear end for a while now too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

site posted:

yeah the guy told me on bsky it was gonna be december but that clearly didn't happen

There’s still a few hours left, you pessimist.