Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

I just got an ipad yesterday and already I've blown a ton of money on comixology. poo poo's dope. I can't say I care for guided view, really, but I got one of the larger ipads so I don't really have any trouble reading it in full-page view.

Gonna have to get a dark horse account next, that Concrete bundle is calling to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Bendis' run is hamstrung by the fact that it gets cancelled just as it's starting to really get the plot moving (which, maybe you shouldn't take 12 issues to get the plot moving but, y'know, Bendis), but it's still some decent street-level-superhero fun with some really awesome Maleev art.

And yeah, Huston's run is genius. Dude's one of my favorite working writers of both novels and comics, he's a treasure.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

onefish posted:

Edit: Huston only wrote that Moon Knight volume through 13 and "advised" 14-19. But whole volume should be read if you're gonna read it, right?

No. Stop with 13.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Bahahahahaha

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Some absolutely insane deals on that Dark Horse sale. Makes me wish I had held out a little on buying that Concrete bundle (which all y'all have zero excuse not to buy now, some of the best comics ever). I am gonna spend so much money today. But hey, finally get to read The Black Beetle, and for 3 bux!

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

FeedRobots posted:

I'm sure there is a ton but what's some can't miss stuff in the Darkhorse sale?

Richard Corben Creepy Collection, Concrete Bundle, tons of Hellboy stuff.

I also got the Wrightson and Ditko Creepy collections, the first Predator omnibus, Black beetle bundle, and the Shaolin Samurai bundle.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

So as I said earlier, I just bought a bunch of stuff from the Dark Horse sale, but now every time I try and sync the Dark Horse app on my ipad, it gives me an error message and tells me to try again in a few minutes. Anyone else having this problem?

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

I honestly don't care at all that I can't make in-app purchases because I never liked doing that anyway - I'd much rather buy stuff all at once than incur a bunch of tiny itunes store charges that take forever to show up in my bank account. But potentially having to redownload everything is a pain in the rear end. Although, as near as I can tell, there's nothing stopping me from just continuing to use the old app? Unless it's just going to disappear from my ipad at some point?

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

sleepingbuddha posted:

I just got an email from Comixology saying they added a $5 gift card to my account. Anyone else get this?

Everybody did, I think. Token of goodwill on account of all the fuckin around.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

LordPants posted:

Bendis drew a comic book? I never knew that.

Yeah he drew a bunch of his early ones.

Torso is outstanding. If you only get one thing from this sale, make it that.

I haven't read Brilliant, though. Is that any good?

Uncle Boogeyman fucked around with this message at 12:32 on May 10, 2014

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

The Complete American Flagg for :10bux:: worth a blind buy I'm assuming? I dig Black Kiss.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Sweet, I've been meaning to check out One-Punch man for a while. Is Blue Exorcist any good? The first volume's on sale for two bux.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Rachel Rising is soooooo gooooood. The first new horror comic I've found genuinely frightening in I don't even know how long.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Uuuuugh I shouldn't drop the money but I really wanna get all of the Moench/Jones issues of Batman right now.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

This is pretty awesome news, I might get some of that stuff from the Top Shelf sale now.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Aight, I ended up goin nuts and getting Infinity Gauntlet, Thanos Quest, Thanos: The Final Threat, the Jim Starlin issues of Silver Surfer, and the whole Thanos 12 issue series. Can anyone tell me what order to read all these in?

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Hakkesshu posted:

Thanos: The Final Threat
Silver Surfer
Thanos Quest
Infinity Gauntlet
12 issue series

Sick, thank you. I read Infinity Gauntlet back in the day but the rest of these are new to me. Excited to dig in to some vintage Starlin.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

EVGA Longoria posted:

Anyone have thoughts on DMZ? Seems like something to go for.

I touched on it in the Vertigo thread, but to me it seemed like kind of a waste of a good premise. It's not entirely without redeeming value I guess, but I bailed after the first 12 issues or so.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

DAaaaaaaaaaamn. Do the Comixology issues include the backmatter?

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Teenage Fansub posted:

Some issues have a back columns, essays and previews for other comics, but definitely not every issue. No idea if they're all supposed to.

e: I bought 15-24 just now and only 21 and 24 had essays, so according to this list http://criminalcomic.blogspot.co.nz/2014/07/30-days-of-fatale-13-reasons-to-buy.html stuff is missing.

Hmmm... I'm debating whether or not I should sell off my complete run of single issues and go digital on it... I do like that backmatter though...

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Shitshow posted:

There's a big sale of Dark Horse omnibuses: https://digital.darkhorse.com/genre/171/

How do people rate Dr. McNinja?

In theory it seems like something I should hate but what I've read of it was actually really funny.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Teenage Fansub posted:

:/

https://www.comixology.com/Multiversity-Sale/page/3152

It's a loose Crisis n multiverse related sale.

52, COIE, Infinite Crisis, Final Crisis+Superman Beyond, Zero Hour, Some Elseworlds, Red Son, Kingdom Come, Assorted stuff like a Captain Carrot issue and the Black Pres Superman issue of Grant's Action Comics.

Apparently the sale extends to all of Kamandi, which is awesome.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Teenage Fansub posted:

Sweet!

I'm just finishing Morrison's Animal Man now. They should've included that.
Near the end it brings back multiverse characters destroyed in Crisis, they discover their place in comic books and peer past the frame to the reader.
That's totally Multiversity with the Earths reading about each other in their comics, and us being a part of that.

Also, it's Morrison's best DC comic.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

More importantly, use the code "COMIX" and almost everything fantagraphics is 50% off. I just bought all of Prison Pit.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

onefish posted:

I definitely thought I'd want more Fantagraphics stuff than I apparently do. Anything else particularly recommended?

I've already got them digitally, but the Jason comics I've read (Werewolves of Montpelier, Lost Cat, I killed Adolf Hitler) are included in the sale and all great, and while a little more expensive than most comics at a page-per-dollar ratio, almost certainly worth it at sale price.

edit: oh, I'm sure Love and Rockets will come up too, but I still might not be ready to commit to it.

Hip Hop Family Tree is incredibly awesome, although I feel like the giant-sized print version is the ideal way to read it. It's a little pricy, so maybe consult your local library.

Good Dog is a very sweet story about a good dog.

I somehow missed The Portable Frank when I initially scanned the sale, but what I've read of that is great surreal fun.

Prison Pit's dope if you like ultraviolence.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

bobkatt013 posted:

Am I forgetting or has DC been lacking in the sales department? It feels that its been weeks since they had one, while Marvel has atleast two a week.

They just had one on all the #0 issues and villain variants. So they do have sales, it's just on crap no one wants to buy.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

bobkatt013 posted:

Oh drat yeah that is right. Why not have a sale of Question or all Morrisons DC work? I half expect a sale on the 52 Constantine when the show premieres not Hellblazer which they should have.

I would be all over a sale on the Denny O'Neill Question run.

Either DC is not good at knowing what their audience wants or I'm just very different from the DC audience. Maybe both.

To be fair though, I did scoop a ton of stuff on that massive Batman sale they had, including the entire Kelley/Moench run, which I've been enjoying the hell out of, and The Batman of Arkham, which is maybe my new favorite Batman comic ever.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Uthor posted:

Massive Valiant sale at Humble Bundle. I know they have sales all the time, but not this steep.

That's sick, what format do those come in?

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Teenage Fansub posted:

Jason Aaron's Thor: God of Thunder 1-18 sale. Get it all.
https://www.comixology.com/Thor-God..._content=Marvel

I was just coming here to ask if I should pay the 20 bux and buy all of it. Thanks for the extra push.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Teenage Fansub posted:

I think it's great after the opening Cassaday drawn arc. It gets pretty close to UXF levels for me in the Apocalypse twins storyline.

Seconded. As soon as Apocalypse shows up it gets good.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Irredeemable Ant-Man is in my opinion far and away the best thing Kirkman ever wrote. Pretty much the only comic of his that's any good.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Hakkesshu posted:

Also I know Fell is generally well-regarded, but it's a victim of The Great Ellis Harddrive Crash so it will never be finished.

All the issues are standalone stories so it basically is finished.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Yeah Bulletproof Coffin for $4 is an absolute must-buy. And Fell is one of my favorite Ellis works.

I also liked Green Wake but I never read past volume 1

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

onefish posted:

edit: I'm thinking not, but any recs from the IDW Halloween sale? Mystery Society would be my only rec -- pretty fun paranormal plot, but the main draw would be seeing Fiona Staples' art from before Saga.

Zombies vs. Robots is a good showcase for Ashley Wood's art and a pretty great deal at 3 bucks.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

i can't afford to buy all of Godland, much as i want to, but i did peep the Uncanny X Men sale and snag Paul Smith's whole run as artist 165-175), which is imo one of the highlights of Claremont's whole tenure as writer

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Waterhaul posted:

Hmmm the Azzarello /Chiang run is really great but I wouldn't call it kid friendly! Same with Kingdom Come. New Frontier though is great and totally good for reading with the kids.

Seconding all of this. Excited to scoop up the rest of the Azzarello run.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Uthor posted:

I'm curious what people think of Black Science. I generally like Remender's writing.

the writing is neither the best nor the worst I've read of Remender, but Matteo Scalera's art and Dean White's colors are outstanding.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Syrinxx posted:

51 issues of Wolverine Origins for 39.99 today. A good price as far as bundles go. I've never read the series so I don't know if it's good.

it's not, sorry.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

bobkatt013 posted:

Here is an easy test. Is it by Way and not Venom Bullseye, then do not get.

Way's Venom is like his absolute rock bottom

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Teenage Fansub posted:

I'd like to hear opinions on Geoff Johns' Booster and Hawkman.

i'm a bit easier on Johns than some, but i really like both. i'd say take those two books and The Flash and you have the three best things he ever did.