Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

bobkatt013 posted:

Aaron's stuff was on sale last week or the previous

poo poo, I musta missed that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Azzarello's Wonder Woman is one of the only things DC I've read that's worth a drat in years.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Sinners Sandwich posted:

I honestaly didnt know Azzarello's Joker had fans

Uthor posted:

I'm still shocked that people like Arkham Asylum.

Both are very good

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Uthor posted:

People keep saying that and I don't understand.

Reading Morrison's annotated script helps with Arkham Asylum. As gorgeous as Dave McKean's artwork is on its own merits, it doesn't always really communicate what Morrison was going for. I think in terms of ultradark Batman graphic novels of the late '80s, it blows Killing Joke out of the water.

As far as Azzarello's Joker, you might just have to be a fan of Azzarello.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

JoshTheStampede posted:

I'm a fan of Azzarello when he sticks in his lane, which is crime comics and noir-ish stuff. When he wanders out of that into traditional superhero stuff I generally roll my eyes at it.

Joker is definitely more crime/noir oriented (it's basically your standard "low-level criminal starts climbing the ladder of organized crime and gets in way over his head" story), but I actually like him and Bermejo's Lex Luthor graphic novel even more.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Teenage Fansub posted:

Everyone who reads comics should try out the original Fantastic Four.

Those first 100 issues or so are still pretty much the greatest superhero comics of all time

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Gaz-L posted:

Maybe even the world's greatest comics magazine?

It's rare to see a tagline so earned.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

woah

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Gaz-L posted:

Django/Zorro is way better than it has any right to be and I suspect QT may have had some actual involvement beyond just slapping his name on it, as it does capture the feel of the movie very well as well as what you'd imagine his version of Zorro would be like.

yeah that comic is real good. I think at the very least, Tarantino provided some kind of rough plot breakdown, but also let's not sell Matt Wagner short as he's a hell of a writer.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

bobkatt013 posted:

Is any Spawn worth it?

I like the Grant Morrison issues, I think it's 16-18.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Zachack posted:

Opinions on Sandman Mystery Theater?

Best comic with "Sandman" in the title, by far.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Zachack posted:

At a glance it looks like it starts with Wagner on writing and ends with Seagal. If I thought Seagal's House of Secrets was very mediocre will that inform my enjoyment of his Sandman Mystery?

I've actually only read the Wagner stuff, and not all of it, so I can't answer that. What I have read of the Wagner run is incredible though, great pulpy storytelling that also serves as a really razor-sharp dissection of pulps and the culture that produced them.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Teenage Fansub posted:

Jill Thompson's Wonder Woman: The True Amazon is another graphic novel that came out last year. It focuses on WW growing from childhood to leaving the island. The art is amazing.

Had those ready from the Good Art thread.

Woah, I hadn't heard about this, that looks dope.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

I've just recently been reading the original Devil Dinosaur and it's very good and worth buying.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Anime_Otaku posted:

ComiXology has Siege on sale: I seem to remember this being from a mythical time when event books received critical acclaim as well as selling well is there any of the collections that are particularly noteworthy for good or ill?
https://www.comixology.co.uk/Siege-Sale/page/14067?ref=c2l0ZS9pbmRleC90YWJsZXQvc21hbGxDYXJvdXNlbA

The Dark Avengers one is good provided you've read the rest of Dark Avengers that leads up to it. the Siege: The Cabal one shot is good as well. The main event was okay until the last issue or so which, as per usual with event books, is kinda unsatisfying.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Yeah it was basically the capstone to like a five year long-game plot from Bendis. I was following that stuff as it came out, so I enjoyed it.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Endless Mike posted:

Ellis + Avatar sounds like a horrible, horrible thing.

Black Gas wasn't very good but I recall liking No Hero.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

That X-Men sale is ridiculous, I just spent way too much on it.

hadji murad posted:

Is that four volume Onslaught collection any good? I've never read that.

Even as someone who has a ton of nostalgia for not-particularly-good '90s X-Men comics, noooooooo.

If you want some of the good stuff from roughly that era, get X-Tinction Agenda or X-Cutioner's Song.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Teenage Fansub posted:

$1 for two volumes of The Maxx is the sweet deal there.

oooo hell yeah, The Maxx is one of my all-time favorite comics.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Rirse posted:

Is the complete Man Thing worth the ten bucks with the current Marvel promo?

Absolutely.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Rirse posted:

Since they are on sale, is Squirrel Girl or Hellcat worth picking up? I still have my 30% coupon to get the rest of the run.

Squirrel Girl definitely is. I might give Hellcat a shot.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Schneider Heim posted:

Moon Knight sale
She-Hulk sale

Up until end of Monday... How is Huston's Moon Knight run? And I have heard some good things about Byrne's She-Hulk run, is it any good?

I love the first two volumes of Huston's run, when Mike Benson takes over as scripter it gets much worse.

Schneider Heim posted:

Punisher Collections sale

Anything worth getting? I have Vol 1 of Rucka's run (it's okay), I've been hearing good things about Cloonan's run, and there's old-school Punisher too. Is the Strange/Punisher good, too?

The Punisher: River of Blood is great, one of the classic Punisher stories.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Zachack posted:

Do you mean Circle of Blood? I don't see a River on that page.

Yeah whoops. The Grant/Zeck one.

Schneider Heim posted:

Yeah, I've been interested in Moon Knight after reading Ellis's short run, but I'm still looking for nice runs. I've heard that Bendis's run is quite bad and I'm not a fan of the guy so I'm skipping that. The sale is probably done by now (I'm at work) but I'll look to buying some more trades once they go on sale again.

The original Moench/Sienkiewicz run is one of my favorite comics ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

if you have access to Hoopla through your library it has a really awesome and entirely free comics library. i use it way more than i ever used comixology these days.