Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

"You had best not do that, Avatar!"

SilentChaz posted:

I can't use this Comixology coupon code for Image Comics, but if anyone's interested here: IMAGE50-X37ZJ

Expires at midnight EST tonight.

Thanks. I've used this code.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Uber and Uber invasions are really good stories. Absolutely brutal throughout the whole thing but the narration plus how the story has escalated and changed as it’s benign told has really clicked with me.

I've been reading the first few issues of that lately and...it is quite heavy stuff, to say the least, but Gillen is good at writing villains and approaches the subject matter with the right mindset. The violence feels horrific rather than glorified and makes a point rather than becoming gratuitous. If you're going to do a book like this, that's the best angle. I also enjoy reading his creator commentary after each issue.

wielder fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Jul 12, 2018

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

It feels a year has gone by and Wolverine is still in the process of returning without a full explanation for it.

That said, I did like parts of the Hunt for Wolverine.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

You can see higher discounts from time to time, but I think the really, really great sales are mostly a thing of the past.

That's how they caught me, back in 2017 or so, particularly with the silly Amazon sale from that year (which means I have all those books on comixology now).

https://www.polygon.com/comics/2017/6/2/15728890/amazon-marvel-sale

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

OptimusShr posted:

Is Morrison's New X-Men worth it? I remember reading some of it and finding it OK.

His take on Magneto ended up being too much of a throwback and ignored what Claremont did with him (to be fair, so did the other pre-Morrison writers), but otherwise it was a good run and worth collecting.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

Yeah, they really need to update a ton of stuff about buying and searching for comics, or else digital sales numbers will drop like a rock compared to Comixology figures and rather quickly.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

The biggest issue I can seee is that Amazon is quite inefficient at sorting and filtering compared to a specialized comics service like Comixology.

It takes ages to find what I'm looking for and, of course, you can't add digital comics to the cart. They're all going to be one-click purchases, which means more time and more clicking.

Presumably they will create a separate library list or something that says "Your Comixology Library" on the Amazon website, if they're smart about it.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

Dsmif posted:

So no "My Books" section on the Amazon website?

I can see my comic purchases in the Amazon "Content and devices" section, but it's just a list of every book, no series group at all.

Under Content and Devices, you can select Books and then Comixology up there in the view/sort by section.

It's not very user friendly, but then again that goes for this whole change in the first place.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

CharlestheHammer posted:

I mean that was how comiXology was so you can’t pretend it’s new

Yes, but this is looking worse than Comixology so far.

Reducing features or at least making them harder to use means less purchases, which may eventually result in less profits for your monopoly.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

Skwirl posted:

The fraction of income Amazon makes from digital comics is probably less than what they are afraid would happen if warehouse workers anywhere unionized so that's their focus. So we'll just spend less money on this so we can pay the Pinkertons more money to spy on union leaders and hopefully ruin their lives.

I hate that you're almost certainly right about that.

CharlestheHammer posted:

It does look like it’s gonna be a bit annoying a change yeah but people are acting like the sky is falling when most of what I’ve seen seems pretty minor.

Hell my major issues are stuff that the original app never fixed. Like custom reading orders

It's not the end of the world or anything. I'll still buy stuff, but mostly trades for things I've already read or know about. Less impulse purchases.

Older, obscure titles and indie comics are likely to suffer from decreased visibility and discoverability.

wielder fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Feb 3, 2022

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

Turns out my tablet is too old for the new Comixology app, but a blue screen on the old app still asks me to update and doesn't let me do anything.

I know that I need a new tablet, but...basically forcing me to upgrade or else isn't a very kind move.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

Expected but still the end of an era in a way.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

Synthbuttrange posted:

rip all my everything. thanks amazon

That's a scary thought. Made me check and my old stuff is still there.

It's really your business, but...I'd check with support if somehow your past purchases got unlinked, or if you've accidentally created more than one account.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

Gummy Joe posted:

A feature I'm still desperately missing from "Amazon Presents: The Comixology Experiencetm" is when it'd tell you if single issues were part of a collected book. Back in the day if I was like "hey that run looks cool" I could click on the first issue of said run and find out immediately if it was collected/how much of it was. Sucks rear end that I have to sleuth around and peck at available collections to see if it is, all with the very real possibility that it's not and I'm just wasting my time.

I agree and also lament the loss of that feature every week.