Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Girls was my first exposure and I hated it, but I tried and got a soft spot for Alex + Ada. I haven't read the final trade yet, so there's still time for them to waste my goodwill!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Can Jeffrey Brown write an autobio comic about how he eluded Nelson Muntz throughout school? Because based on his other autobio works, someone needed to punch him in the stomach, bad.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Fear Itself sale - does anyone need a warning at this point? Save your money. Or buy Daytripper for $5 while you can.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Dark Horse horror sale on Comixology (not on DH app, whatever), ends Sunday 11/1

Eerie and Creepy Archives - $6.99/book
Pixu - $2.99
$0.99 single issue for:
Hellboy In Hell 1-5
Abe Sapien 1-5
Baltimore 1-5
Alabaster Wolves 1-5
Colder 1-5
Death Head 1-2
Rat God 1-5
Creepy Comics 1-5
Eerie Comics 1-5
Harrow County 1-5

Baltimore (WWI adventure horror) and Harrow County (southern folktale horror) are strong personal favorites, go scoop 'em up if you haven't already.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Rocketeer/The Spirit is pretty fun and worth the discount price, but don't count on the final issue to stick the landing.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Use DCBOGO at checkout, works on anything released before September 1 and expires November 30.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

So glad I waited on Grayson, 1-11 are a buck apiece in the new Robin War sale. Sure, I only picked up 9, 10, + 11 from being somewhat behind, but anyone who hasn't read the series yet should definitely dive in.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

I read Irredeemable and Incorruptible via the digital omnibi and can testify that both are terrific.

Also, reading all of Justice League International should be a rite of passage in comics questing. Hot drat, some good sales out now.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Earth One sale, $6 apiece for each of the Superman (a better version of Man of Steel?), Teen Titans (I liked it, most TT fans I know loved it), and Batman (awwww yeah, Gary Frank art) trades.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

DC's got an $8 per Volume 1 deal going on now - 16 titles for 2016.
Personally, I think Swamp Thing, Justice League United, Injustice, Sensation Comics, and Adventures of Superman are the cream of the crop in that selection.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

My subs on Comixology were a little weird this week, both in terms of release dates and end-user experience.
Injustice Year Five #3 shows as coming out Monday when it normally comes out on Tuesdays.
Batman '66 Meets The Man From U.N.C.L.E. came out today, when it normally comes out on Wednesdays.
Also, both chapters showed up as available for $0.99 until I tapped to add to cart, which caused Comixology to auto-correct with "we have removed items you have already purchased," changing them to "Download" items.
None of this is particularly troublesome, it just feels like a publisher & app that woke up from a nap. Happy New Year, I guess?

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

I only knew the book's popularity, but the comic stole my afternoon with ease. Fun stuff. While it was not claustrophobic, I thought the environment was portrayed according to the emotional beat of each scene, whether dully oppressive, expansive, mysterious, or sinister.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

New Moon Knight and Silver Surfer sale on Comixology! Both series are among my favorite recent Marvel comics, please load em up and partake liberally!

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Dead Drop isn't bad for $4. Anticlimactic yes, but still pretty fun IMO.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Uthor posted:

Is Batwoman no longer gay??? I dropped the book when they kicked JH Williams III and crew off the book and stopped reading DC until Prez and Batgirl of Burnside.

Her N52 run ends with her trying to make amends with Maggie, and she's got a ring on her hand in the Injustice comic (also from Maggie).

She's been gay since Williams & Co. left, she just wasn't married in her own series.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Golf clap for DC, whose Batman v Superman sale kicks off with a selection of Batman titles... at their regular price!
What a deal! I hope this culminates in an actual sale by the time the movie's out.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Yeah, but Comixology still featured DC's Batman selections on the front page of their app, a space which is usually reserved for either sales or new releases. "Some reading suggestions if you have a moment" isn't as worthy of prime promotion, in my opinion.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Look, I attended the Snyder/Capullo farewell to Batman panel, and now I'm jonesing to reread their whole run!
Thank you for your sensible rebuttals.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

How's the Dave Gibbons/Steve Rude World's Finest mini that's on sale? Solid creative team.

Finished reading it, solid 3-parter with several "how the other guy does it" mirror montages. Classic portrayals, complete opposite of Batman v Superman in tone.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

There is a used-bookstore chain called 2nd & Charles that "specializes" in trade-ins and racks upon racks of used books (including comics and trades), but it's more like a GameStop for books. Newer, retail-price books will be laced throughout the selection. Finding a gem at a surprisingly low price is still cool, if rare.

I know a comic store in my area that's been through some transformations. It used to be an all-in-one type deal, with new stuff, old stuff, tabletop gaming, the works. Then the gaming was allowed to shrink to expand the comics and collectibles. Then the gaming was eliminated to create a used book space. Then the comics went all-oldies. They have a decent selection, and they take trade-ins, but I like to follow some series as they come out and so they lost me as a regular. Also, the one time I unloaded some HCs on them, they gave me a spiel about how they had to lowball me on their offer because they'd have to mark down all my books for resale... then shelved them at full price. Oh well, got my money's worth to free up some shelf space relatively quickly.

I don't know if all-oldies is more profitable, but it's demoralizing to the local nerds. I want to support local shops!

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Vertigo sale on Comixology, here are my hot takes:
American Vampire - Been meaning to read this series, but the sale's only for volume 7?
Mad Max: Fury Road - Heard it kind of ruins a lot of the mystique behind the movie portrayals, and lessens Furiosa
FBP: Federal Bureau of Physics - Worth it at sale price, pretty and trippy
Coffin Hill, Wolf Moon - Ehhhhh, not bad, but mostly forgettable
Bodies - Centuries-spanning mystery that has trouble sticking its landing, but I enjoyed the ride
The Names - Jaysus, no! Milligan brings some interesting setup to the table but none of it develops or combines in interesting ways at all
Suiciders - Lee Bermejo, y'all. Dirty, nasty, ugly L.A.
Hinterkind - Read 'The Autumnlands' instead
Get Jiro! - Fun story, avoid the prequel at all costs
The Wolf Among Us - I've only read the first trade of Fables, any word on this?
Effigy - Haven't read

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Adventures of Superhero Girl is amazing, read it whether you love or hate superheroes, you'll wish it didn't end.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

zoux posted:

I sub to MU so I don't ever buy digital Marvel unless I'm foolishly trying to keep up with an event, but I wonder for people who do: why not just sign up for a month of MU and read the sale stuff for much cheaper?

I'm not trying to be critical or anything, I'm just curious what the rationale is.

You can give your Comixology login to a friend with no digital comics / cool tablet and they can also read your purchases!

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Isn't it about time for a new Archie (company) sale, specifically so I can pick up volumes 8-11 of Mega Man?

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

New sale, new post!
Captain America: White is really good, especially if you have a soft spot for Steve & Bucky's big brother, little brother dynamic.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Letter 44 is worth every discounted penny.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

The Swords of Glass is a short, albeit complete series on Comixology Unlimited. Four "volumes," ~200 pages total, eye candy for miles.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

No Injustice this week, and writer Brian Buccellato doesn't know why.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

The "Black Death In America" story from Vertigo's CMYK quarterly is free on Comixology and amazing. Tom King and John Paul Leon. Get on it.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

I remember seeing news of Aquaman fans being up in arms over Cullen Bunn's story and demanding his removal from the series. At the time, they sounded like (and may well be) pissy fanboys, but then I read the collected trade and holy poo poo, the angry fanboys were right about something for a change. Nothing about Bunn's run says "Aquaman" to me, more like a bloated Magic: The Gathering deck description, and the rape scene that happens only to be forgotten is criminally poor writing. (Full context: Arthur thinks he has been exiled by Mera, and sneaks into her bedroom to try and negotiate with her. They have sex, and the next morning she is revealed to be Mera's sister who is a dead-on lookalike. Not-Mera makes a couple of snide references to this later in the story, but otherwise Arthur does not seem violated or traumatized in the least. There aren't even Atlantean police telling each other "Nice.")

Having said all that, Aquaman's a fair time pre-Bunn. Wonder Woman's excellent for 35 issues. Flash is great for the first 12 issues, plus #26 which has some charming short stories.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Sixth Gun spins its wheels a bit with the side stories, but once it gets back on track the pages turn into lightning. It's tied with Harrow County for my favorite Cullen Bunn-written comic.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I'm looking at Black Magic vol 1 and Descender vol 2. I enjoyed descender's first volume and black magick seems to have some really good art so I guess my question is are these books good?

Descender is still really good. Sometimes I get the feeling from issue to issue of, "I wish this was a giant omnibus so I could inhale the story in one sitting," but that's the cost of being current.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

The Star Trek/Green Lantern crossover is a little paint by numbers - everyone meets under confused circumstances, a big bad rallies the heroes together, some quips are made comparing/combining aspects of both series, everyone becomes friends. I didn't dislike it, but it was definitely comfort food.

Having said that, it did set the stage for continued adventures really well, and there's a new Trek/Lantern crossover in the works, so if you're interested, may as well dive in through a sale.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Valiant collections sale on Comixology

For those uninitiated to Valiant's universe: you can pick a series and comfortably follow it all the way through with hardly any narrative bumps in the road. Have fun!

Some nutshell asides, though:

X-O Manowar gets better the longer it goes. Definitely written with a longview in mind.
Quantum & Woody and Ivar, Timewalker are the funniest series and can pretty much be read on their own. Q&W, combined with Archer & Armstrong, leads into the excellent limited crossover The Delinquents.
Rai will lead you directly to Valiant's current event, 4001 A.D.
Harbinger Wars, Armor Hunters, and Book of Death are best read via their Deluxe Editions so that all the relevant issues are packaged together and in the originally published order.
Don't read Harbinger without also picking up Imperium.
Dead Drop is skippable.
Shadowman has some neat supernatural ideas going for it, and David Baron's colors shine during his contributions later on, but as a series it's surprisingly dull compared to the rest of Valiant's output.
Divinity and The Death-Defying Doctor Mirage can be read on their own and are freaking fantastic.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Rocketeer/Spirit is good, but the story's extra fluffy (like most crossovers).

Mars Attacks x Popeye is the best issue from that set. Full stop. Old-school style and played completely straight.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

It's Blue Beetle's time to shine.

Definitely buy:

Blue Beetle (2006-2009) - An extremely winning take on Jaime Reyes.
Formerly Known As The Justice League - Humorous take on a super-team, mix with I Can't Believe It's Not The Justice League for best results.
Blue & Gold (Booster Gold #0, 7-10) - The bromantic adventures of a couple of B-listers navigating the DC timeline after the events of Infinite Crisis (when Ted died).

Copra's cool too, but I've been waiting for a Blue Beetle sale, and will splurge on any issues y'all want to also recommend. I'm read up on Justice League / International / America and know nothing about Extreme Justice except it looks and sounds like a big mistake. Curious about the Captain Atom "Silver Lie" story, though.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Roth posted:

Well, if I cancel my order for the Omega Men trade, I can get a Kindle Fire in two weeks time, so I'm gonna go ahead and do that.

You could've been the coolest kid on campus.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Avatar: The Last Airbender's comics are on sale and really good. Any fan of the show should treat it like crack... but the good kind of crack. You know, Krispy Kreme.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Seconding Django/Zorro and Shaft, plus Bob's Burgers is manna for fans of the cartoon. Each character's voice is captured really well for text.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Loving this Vertigo sale to high heaven. Down with $4 comics! Viva la digital!