Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Uthor posted:

I wish comiXology let me bag and board and store issues in a long box...

But, yeah, "playlists" would be nice. Then you could either organize crossovers how you like or to build a "to read" list or whatever.

Or, hell , just favorite things.

I liked when you could put books into "storage" on their site, hiding all the little random things you never want to see. That was nice.

Yeah that's a better way to say what I meant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
Letter 44 is loving awesome and I Was the Cat is pretty entertaining. I've not really heard anyone else talk about it though.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

A Strange Aeon posted:

Would an ipad mini be a large enough tablet to read Marvel Unlimited on? I've never read digital comics before, but really want to read the early 60s Marvel stuff, and the hundreds of dollars I'd need to spend on omnibuses is weighing heavily down on me.

The panel mode is terrible on Unlimited, but you won't run into many two page spreads in those early comics so I don't think it will be much of a problem. You might have to zoom in slightly and just move the page around. You can actually see the first couple pages of most books without an account, so try downloading the app and pulling one up and see how it looks.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

A Strange Aeon posted:

Is panel view just 1 panel shown at a time as opposed to the whole page? Sorry if this is an obvious question, but I've heard of guided views and I wasn't sure what that meant either.

Yep! panel view and guided view are the same thing.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Teenage Fansub posted:

I'd like to hear opinions on Geoff Johns' Booster and Hawkman.

His Booster Gold is great and it's much better if you read 52 first since it is a direct continuation of that.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

TheManWithNoName posted:

DC adds like 20-30 older books every week to Comixology. I'm sure it will be up there eventually.

Yeah just like how only the first trade of that Question run has been out of print for like 5 years.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Uthor posted:

Get to it, Bronies!
https://m.comixology.com/comics-sale?list_id=5574

There's also a Zenescope sale going on, but I doubt anyone cares.

Probably the same people who care about the other one.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
Bendis's Daredevil is what really got me into Marvel comics. I bought all three of the ultimate collections + all three of Brubaker's within like a week. It is so good.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
Unless there is more that isn't listed, that's just the run up until Time Runs Out.

EDIT: Well the whole things IS on sale I guess
Avengers
https://www.comixology.com/Avengers-by-Jonathan-Hickman-The-Complete-Series/bundle/916?916_pg=2
New Avengers
https://www.comixology.com/New-Avengers-by-Jonathan-Hickman-The-Complete-Series/bundle/925

Senor Candle fucked around with this message at 19:49 on May 4, 2015

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
Yeah Infinity isn't on sale but it's only another $12 for 6 issues that were $4 or $5 each when they came out. Still a decent price.
https://www.comixology.com/Infinity/comics-series/11126?ref=c2VhcmNoL2luZGV4L2Rlc2t0b3Avc2xpZGVyTGlzdC9zZXJpZXNTbGlkZXI

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Syrinxx posted:

Are all those issues on MU? $70 is nearly a year's subscription.

They will be in six months! The most recent issues came out last week

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

TheHeadSage posted:

So if I get both of those bundles, is there anything else I need to read to understand Secret Wars?

You should buy the 6 issues of Infinity because it isn't included in either of those bundles!

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
I can only speak up for "Jim Henson's The Storyteller: Witches" and say that those issues are pretty good.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
Imagine if that got bundled in with Prime.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Aphrodite posted:

It's just a name, it's a silly detention story in a superpower school.

Did you read the second issue?

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Aphrodite posted:

Oh, is #2 already out? I don't get home for another hour.

Yeah it came out today! It is definitely not a story about them in detention.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Gaz-L posted:

Eh, I'm sure it's good causes, but I'm not gonna spend $15 just for Code Monkey.

You know you don't just have to pick one right?

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Phylodox posted:

You get what you pay for. Personally, I'm okay with the reduced quality in exchange for just a staggering number of comics available to me. Quantity over quality!

Yeah I feel like it's complaining that these trades I got at the library aren't in mint condition. I understand it's different, but I read all of Ultimate Spider-man for like $10 and I wasn't too bothered that it wasn't pristine when I zoomed in.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

PoshAlligator posted:

Well it makes me not want to subscribe so ???

e: the quality - the delayed issues makes much more sense at a face level.

Then don't subscribe. What you want is not the service that MU provides, and that's fine.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
If you buy more than like 5 comics a month through comixology I can pretty much guarantee that Marvel is getting more money out of you buying single issues than subscribing to MU.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Hakkesshu posted:

I don't think they gain anything by not having HD comics, it's not like 6 month old digital issues sell anything when not on sale. They should be going all-in with MU as far as I'm concerned, that kind of service is the future much moreso than Comixology.

It would either cost more money to subscribe to MU or they would make less money if they switched everything to HD. It's simple, bandwidth isn't free. Marvel is so much farther in than literally any other publisher when it comes to subscription services.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

PoshAlligator posted:

That does explain why my Netflix subscription only lets me watch movies in Standard Definition.

Won't somebody please think about their poor bandwidth?
Please consider the bandwidth you just used to make this bad post before you make Lowtax cry.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

AzraelNewtype posted:

Of course, by the same token, you can see that 1080p streaming from netflix is a dollar less than MDU, and the SD another dollar less, and even the SD stream's bandwidth is going to be greater than comics. So, you know, maybe bandwidth costs aren't really a compelling argument here.

Netflix has around 65 million subscribers and it's primary focus is streaming digital video content. I would be impressed if Marvel Unlimited had even 100k subscribers between all platforms. But you know, they are comparable services right?

I don't think anyone is arguing that MU shouldn't have HD comics, just that there might be reasons other than they don't feel like it behind why they don't.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

The Kins posted:

Comixology have announced that Weekly Shonen Jump is now available in English on the same day as the physical release in Japan. So, that's nice.

Yeah it's actually been like that for 2+ years now but you've had to subscribe directly through their website. It's only like $25 a year but it's not the same magazine they put out in Japan. Only certain series come over. I assume you can now get individual issues through comixology as well? That would be nice because WSJ's interface on tablets is terrible.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Teenage Fansub posted:

I assume none of the issues are good staring points or have one-and-done stories.
200something pages for $1 seems like a bargain, but I'll just go back to ignoring manga :)

They have new series pretty consistently, but if you want to enjoy an ongoing, you pretty much have to go and read it from the beginning. It's not great for new readers but it's a great alternative for people who want to support series instead of reading scanlations.
There are one shots once in a while but not every week. If there is a series that seems interesting you'd be much better off buying the volumes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
Specifically they have added a bunch of Kodansha stuff. Out of what was released, the first volume of Inuyashiki was pretty good, Attack on Titan is pretty good, and I've heard really good things about Vinland Saga but never read it myself.