Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

unl33t posted:

The Kindle Deal of the Day includes Gotham Central vol. 1 for $2.99. That price is not currently matched by Comixology, I kinda hope it is because I really don't like the Kindle format for reading comics and I'm pretty interested in checking it out-on the other hand I am picking up the Stray Bullets bundle, and I believe that's going to put my Comixology collection over 2,500 titles (which includes a couple omnibuses) so I really don't actually need anything more to read.

That's weird as hell considering Amazon OWN Comixology. Why would they undercut one of their own companies?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
That's also why I use the Marvel and DC specific apps. Saves the main Comixology one for just non-Big Two books, so things are less cluttered.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

PoshAlligator posted:

Vaguely. It's just a dropdown box of instruction on how to upload your files to Google Books.

And I believe there's a size limit, so anything that's not a single issue is unlikely to fit. There's a great reader for Android that I use, it'll read pretty much anything, up to and including folders full of plain old image files. It's very basic, but it's also lightweight, and as long as you don't mind uploading stuff to your device already organised, it's easy to use.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Dsmif posted:

The Batgirl sale at comixology doesn't include the Stephanie Brown Batgirl run which is a shame as I've been planning to pick that up for a while. What is the current Batgirl run like? I've only read the first issue and it seemed ok.

Loaded question. General reaction seems to be it's solid work with some nice attempts to treat the trauma of Barbara's paralysis seriously and a decently well represented trans character on the supporting cast. (I made it about 6 issues in before dropping it because it was pretty unspectacular) But BSS goonthink isn't terribly kind to Gail Simone, so I assume the response on here specifically isn't quite so positive.

Thinkin' about picking up some stuff from the GI Joe sale as it should end just after I get paid... Is the new IDW stuff any good? It's a shame the classics trades aren't part of the sale, as I've been interested in reading that stuff for a while.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
A little research turned up that it's unclear when it began, so there's not an official number.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
You can also get the 4th and 5th Bloodshot trades for like half off at Comixology this weekend, too.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
No idea, I grabbed the GI Joe/Danger Girl one mostly because the trade has the lead from Danger Girl cosplaying as Destro, which is dumb enough to appeal to the part of me that likes campy/trashy poo poo.

The X-Files one seems to just about hit that line too, considering it'll apparently have Mulder & Scully meet the Turtles.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
...I don't even think you can get Scott Pilgrim digitally outside of this.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

"OOPS! The content you are looking for is not currently available."

EDIT: Tricksy Amazon. Because I have a UK IP address, it won't show anything not available on Comixology here, even if I use the .com domain. I literally didn't know that until right now, because I assumed they'd do it like they do for the actual Amazon store, and for Audible, where you can at least see stuff. Accessed it through Hola and it shows up.

Gaz-L fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Oct 1, 2014

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Yeah, I especially don't get things like only including the first part of Days Of Future Past. It's a TWO issue story, just put the second part in and forego, I dunno, House of M #1.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Pretty much hinges on how you feel about the writers. I think Guardian Devil is a very solid story that started the revitalization of Daredevil that Bendis then ran with, and Quesada's art is very pretty.

Ant-Man is relatively tame by Kirkman's standards, as I recall. The worst that happens is O'Grady being a creep to a bunch of women, but it's treated comedically like the pathetic schlub he is.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
It's less Kirman-y than his Destroyer mini or his run on Marvel Team-up periodcally got. (I like parts of that MTU run, like the teacher at Peter's school that wants to have an affair with him, and the whole Speedball/Gravity/X-23 story arc, but a lot of it leaned into his ultraviolent, cynical side.)

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Man Without Fear and Born Again are pretty much THE Daredevil stories.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Uthor posted:

OMG, Zenoscope sale!

Is... Is it wrong that I think Irresistable might have potential as a dark comedy? Like, I know nothing except the blurb on Comixology, but it seems like it could be fun, trashy stuff?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Should be. 8 inches is about average for tablet screens. Mine's 10.5 and it's basically indistinguishable from a normal page, so worst case, you'd be seen slightly shrunken pages, but that's what the panel view modes are for.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

A Strange Aeon posted:

How is it superior? I browsed through a free issue of Marvel Unlimited on my iPad mini and found that the page view was a little too small (meaning I'd have to zoom sometimes, which would be really annoying), but if I did the panel view and put it in landscape mode, it seemed like it'd work out fine.

It's not, but Comixology/Amazon have that name and presumably the backend software for how they specifically do it patented/trademarked.

On the other hand, Dark Horse's version is loving awful. It just zooms in by like 20%, not even focusing on the panels.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

LordPants posted:

I have so much valiant at $1 an issue I'm not sure what I'm up to. :negative:

I got like the first 4 trades of every book they do in that Humble Bundle. I don't know if I'll ever find time to read them.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Syrinxx posted:

Um excuse me he wrote Deadpool #11 one of the finest literary accomplishments in human history similar to sir william shakespeare

Pity he wrote 10 issues before and like 40 after.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Yeah, the Season 1 OGNs aren't on Unlimited, and if they ever will be, it'll be a long time coming.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
The Giffen/DeMatteis Booster stuff after that was also really fun, in the ways you'd expect. There's a great Ted/Booster/Scott Free/Barda story in there.

Asnorban posted:

I've put off reading Scott Pilgrim for years (for many reasons) in spite of loving the movie and game. Is it worth it for the color editions?

Adding another voice to the chorus of 'YES!'. Setting aside the colouring being really good, the books let the story breathe in a way that Wright and co couldn't on screen. The ending that both the movie and books go with makes a LOT of sense in the books, but they should've stuck with the original idea in the film, I feel.

(Ending)The movie is entirely built around Scott and Knives being the 'right' pairing and Scott's obsession with Ramona as a distraction. Though the whole fight with the exes structure is also a terrible thing to have kept in the film, considering the exes are all about illustrating Ramona's neuroses, and the books have parallel poo poo with Kim, Kim and Scott's friend from high school who was clearly into him, Knives and Envy showing that Scott's just as messed up, except the film ditches most of it. As a result, them ending up together makes sense as two similar people making a choice to try and grow together. In the movie, not so much. The compressed time scale also hurts it, as does the girl playing Ramona's decision/direction to play the whole thing as totally 'above it all', while she has moments of dorkiness in the books. Basically, I'm amazed at how good the film turned out considering the script kinda fumbles the ball pretty hard, in my opinion. I still really like the movie, although I think the breathless pacing is a blessing and a curse.

TL;DR: :downswords: WAHHHH, it was better in the book!

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
It's maddeningly clever that a lot of the stuff in the bundle is the next few issues from what was in their last one. Like, the last one had Legenderry #1-3, and this one has #4 and 5. And Mark Waid doing Green Hornet sounds like a good time.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Zoe posted:

I guess this is as good a thread as any to mention there's a bunch of comics from Dynamite Entertainment in a Humble Bundle, including a different free one you can get every day.

It's a big list but I don't really know enough about comics to know whether there's anything there to get excited about.

American Flagg won a ton of awards, and The Boys is the "Grrrr, superheroes are SO STUPID, I HATE THEM SO MUCH I'LL WRITE ALL ABOUT THEM" classic that people on this here forum and elsewhere on the internet love to gush about (I think Garth Ennis is a talented writer that has indulged his own foibles more than a good editor should allow). Mark Waid doing the Green Hornet should be fun. Legenderry seems like such a goofy concept that I can't help but like it, the Bob's Burgers book is supposed to be very accurate to the show and Django/Zorro was fun.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Weird that the IDW thing includes the first volume of Transformers Marvel reprints, but not the equivalent GI Joe trade. Instead, it's the continuation book.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

I already have the physical books. (And I don't get paid until a week on Tuesday.) :colbert:

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Syrinxx posted:

Yep that must have been it. Used winrar to open an old one and it was page_1, page_2 ... page_10. Redownloaded from humble and now they are page_001, page_002 ... page_010

Time to nerd out on some fuckin Star Trek comics, thanks!

Just be careful with that Borg miniseries. It's really bad. Like poo poo-tier fanfic bad.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Heh, Marvel just put up a ton of the old Star Wars stuff. Identical to the DH versions from what it looks like, except for the Legends branding, because they don't 'count' anymore.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Syrinxx posted:

Dear lord that Image humble bundle

Yeah, it'd probably be worth it for Saga alone, but that plus a bunch of Brubaker, Hickman, Fraction and Gillen is crazy good. (Also, a million issues of TWD, I guess.) Only thing is it's making me wait a week to see if they throw Bitch Planet in, rather than just buying it finally.

Space Fish posted:

The return of Lynda Carter via Wonder Woman '77 to lay down the digital law. Excellent.
Hey, wait, is this now alternating with Sensation Comics? Because I just checked my subs and SC isn't out until the 28th?

Gaz-L fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Jan 9, 2015

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Deadpool Pulp is a good time. It's a neat spin on the Noir line, and is probably a more mature take than the 'MATURE' MAX Deadpool book was.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Space Fish posted:

For whatever reason, I got the newest digital Sensation Comics today (despite its usual Thursday release schedule), and had to buy it separately despite being subscribed. I haven't seen any DC Digital promos announcing how the two WW series would be released. Is this a fluke? Delay? Nazi scheme to harm Lynda Carter Comix?

...I just checked and yeah, the next part of the current story is out, it shows I'm subbed, but it's not purchased. Huh. I'mma wait till Friday, see if it corrects itself, otherwise I'll buy it. (The WW hijab she was rocking in part 1 was pretty sweet.)

It's weird, also, but WW '77 has a weird issue compared to Batman '66, in that having actual WW villains appear, like in that first issue, feels less accurate to the show than Batman does by using mostly the show's rogues. (I just got the first two collections of Batman, and love that Parker worked in Kathy Kane.)

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Is there a reason, other than "lolDC" that I can buy Jim Balent's entire run on Catwoman, but not Denny O'Neill's Question or PAD's Supergirl digitally?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Senor Candle posted:

Yeah just like how only the first trade of that Question run has been out of print for like 5 years.

Rereading that very book is what made me mad I can't complete the run digitally. The part where Vic shows up, singing Danny Boy to the crazy Satanist priest is awesome.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Waterhaul posted:

There's no explanation being given though people are blaming Roberto Aguirre-Sacasa on having too much on his plate. Part of me thinks they rushed issue #1 out to make Halloween and haven't got enough done to go monthly or even bi-monthly yet.

It really would make more sense for them to have Afterlife and Sabrina on alternating bi-monthly schedules.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
All those books are actually pretty solid (though the Liu run features a crossover with Daken, which always bugs me in these sales. Just throw the loving tie-ins into the sale). And, I get why, but it's kinda funny that the only key book with her in it that's not featured is NYX.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Yeah, the whole point is so you can save them and read them in another program. Comixology's app doesn't have support for .cbz or PDF, I don't think. I read most of Rat Queens in the barebones reader app I have on my tablet.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
The entirety of the Image run was pretty drat good, from what I recall. (Up to like, volume 8, I think?) I only read a few issues into the Icon run, because it came out so infrequently early on. It's more regular now, I think.

(I still laugh at the joke from the super-groupie arc early on, where Deena's teasing Walker for sleeping with girls like that back when he had his powers. "Those girls were... very patriotic." "Patriotic? What, did you gently caress on a flag?")

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

gfanikf posted:

Hmm the iPad app is a lot better for Scribd, it's a glorified pdf reader, but it's workable. I'm really impressed with them having complete runs for things like Hicksman FF.

They've got entire runs for a lot of books actually, including the Marvel Transformers run, which is really cool. Plus as a "Netflix for comics", they've got Marvel as the blockbusters, IDW for the stuff you loved as a kid and wanna watch for nostalgia, Top Shelf for the arthouse movies, BOOM for the kids, and I dunno, Zenescope for that awful Z-movie you watched because they said you'd give it less than 1 star and you have to know HOW bad it really is.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Flameingblack posted:

My mom found a whole lot of books she wanted to read on Scribd, so it's not a total waste. There's not a lot of stuff on there, and their browser for comics is total garbage.

The reader is... pretty bad, yeah. And their UI could be better. But I actually thought there was a pretty huge amount of stuff there. I suppose it depends on what you're looking for. I'm mostly interested in a lot of the IDW, Boom and Dynamite licensed stuff. I guess maybe if you're looking for Marvel stuff it's less good?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Unbelievably Fat Man posted:

As far as I know Scribd serves epubs, which are a pretty good format for text and a pretty crap format for comics. If this turns out successfully perhaps they'll unveil some fancy new format specifically for comics.

I bet it would be okay on an iPad. Otherwise it probably wouldn't be too useful.

I've been using epubs for stuff from Humble Bundles because they're small, and they've been fine in the app I use, barring one problem with a Sabrina collection from the Archie bundle. A good reader is way more important than the format.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

gfanikf posted:

Wait how can you use Comixology files in anything else?

Some publishers let you download PDF or CBZ copies when you buy from Comixology. Image, Archie and IDW are the big ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
You might want to update the OP, actually. ComicsFix and Archie are two other streaming/subscription based comics options. ComicsFix have a way, way smaller selection than even Scribd, though. (Dynamite and Valiant seem to be the only 'big' publishers) Haven't tried them myself, but found out about them when I looked into who else was doing this kinda thing.

Archie is mainly app-focused, and is based off iVerse's platform. (iVerse also have their own storefront/app called ComicsPlus, which is pretty meh, but has most of the big names on board, including DC, and a handful of small press publishers that aren't in bed with Comixology/Amazon yet.) The iVerse reader is less good than most that do the panel view/tap to flip pages style, but it's better than Scribd's. The Archie Unlimited thing is cheaper than any of the other options and has a ton of stuff, including the Afterlife line.

Edit: And Scribd actually have more publishers than listed in the OP. They've got a limited amount of Dynamite stuff, some Archie, BOOM, Valiant and Zenescope, as well as a couple of other names I'd never really heard of. (HA! I just looked at the names I didn't recognise, and they have Kingstone, who appear to publish Christian books?)

Double Edit: Though good call with ComicsReader in the Android apps. That's the one I use. I like how many formats it works with. You can even just have unzipped folders of .jpegs and it'll work, assuming the files are labelled right. :)

Gaz-L fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Feb 14, 2015