Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Servoret
Nov 8, 2009

hadji murad posted:

At risk of looking like an idiot despite reading comics for 30 years, what’s Elfquest like?

Maybe the first American comic that reads like it was heavily influenced by manga. It's kind of Anne Rice-like, a lot of telepathic sex scenes and stuff and also a lot of character favoritism. I loved the reprints Epic Comics did in the Eighties (kind of like reading Claremont's X-Men at the time, I was a kid and oblivious to how weird and kinky it was) and think that the first series is really good. What I've read of the latest series seems like Wendy Pini is now doing fan fiction for her own material, which Elfquest always had going on because it was her own personal fantasy world, but now the storytelling seems totally lost and it's just condensed "this happened, and then this happened" for page after page if that makes any sense. But try the first bit of it and see what you think, if you're interested.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Servoret
Nov 8, 2009

I paid for a year of Unlimited, and maybe only really read stuff on it for a few weeks here and there, so I dropped it. But I haven’t been buying cheap digital trades either, because my public library is an option for things like Squirrel Girl. They’ve got a lot of stuff but it is spotty in places. I probably should have tried to snap up the last Gwenpool trades for 99 cents.

Servoret
Nov 8, 2009

Rincewinds posted:

Humble Bundle have Ghost in the Shell and Battle Angel Alitha in one of their bundles.

https://www.humblebundle.com/books/manga-to-anime-kodansha-books

Also Inuyashiki, which I’ve enjoyed in the bits I’ve read of it. Thanks for the heads up.

Servoret
Nov 8, 2009

Rincewinds posted:

Related to the Antman sale, is Avengers Academy the one that starts great then ends badly with everyone dying?

It starts great, a ways in there’s a membership shakeup in an attempt to keep the book from being cancelled and it’s a little mediocre, then it goes out on an optimistic ending.

And then Avengers Arena kills one of them off right at the beginning and features some of the others acting totally out of character.

Servoret
Nov 8, 2009

I don't think Cinema Purgatorio is worth $7. At $2 it's worth a try for an issue to see if you like it before picking up the rest of it, but I would not recommend blind buying the whole series just to take advantage of the sale. Nothing in it is great. It really feels like Alan Moore guest editing 2000 AD, only without a solid serial like Judge Dredd or Nikolai Dante to anchor it. It's all very slight. Sometimes the Moore stories are pretty good, but sometimes they're just embarrassing, like the month he decided to play Hollywood Babylon with DC's corporate history. Before I dropped it, I was basically reading it for Gillen's Pokemon serial and on the off chance that the Moore/O'Neill feature was good that month; otherwise Code Pru is an adequately entertaining Ennis feature, and the other two serials are a waste of time, in my opinion.

As far as other Avatar stuff in the sale goes, Si Spurrier's Crossed: Wish You Were Here is the one thing I really enjoyed and would recommend. That's not a recommendation to investigate any other Crossed series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Servoret
Nov 8, 2009

What’s worth reading in the bundle besides Saga?