Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

99% sale on American Vampire: http://www.comixology.com/American-Vampire-Sale/page/1025

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Giant Dark Horse Digital 3 year anniversary sale. Everything is 50% off, including already discounted bundles.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

I ended up getting Blacksad, some Evan Dorkin stuff, The Fifth Beetle, Fear Agent, Concrete, The Umbrella Academy, Mind MGMT and Old Boy. Already had Hell Boy, BRPD, Beasts of Burden, Green River Killer and Ragemoor.

This feels insane given that this collection would have cost ONE MILLION DOLLARS 10 years ago. I never imagined having too many comics and not enough time but it has totally happened.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Has there been any chatter about a merging of Kindle and comixology libraries? Kindle books can be dirt cheap sometimes, but the Kindle comics reader sucks. I have to imagine that there isn't a ton of incentive for them to maintain both technologies at this point, so a merge seems inevitable, but I wonder about a couple things:
- Will they merge a customer's Kindle and comixology libraries? Is it worth buying a really cheap Kindle book now, speculating that that we'll be able to read it in the comixology app down the road?
- What about books that are on Kindle but not comixology yet?
- Will prices in general move down to Kindle prices or up to comixology?

For example, Saga Vol. 1 is 5.30 on Kindle, 9.99 on comixology. March book 1 is 3.99 on Kindle, 7.99 on comixology. American Vampire Vol. 6 is 9.99 on Kindle, 14.99 on comixology.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Yeah, it's 12.99 for me in the US.

edit: must have updated! Now if I follow that link (or any), it's 5.99. It's a shame that they don't post all sales in the banners, because their Sales category at the top of their menu is horribly hosed on my iPad after they revamped their site for mobile.

fozzy fosbourne fucked around with this message at 05:26 on May 6, 2014

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

:supaburn: James Stokoe Godzilla on sale! :supaburn:

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

It looks like Brian K. Vaughn's Pride of Baghdad finally has been uploaded to Comixology and Kindle. Not on sale, but pointing it out in case some of you have been on a BKV binge like me.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

To make things even more confusing, on Amazon, the print version of Saga vol 2 is $11 and the Kindle version is only 6.99

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Another Chew sale on comixology! Also, Batman '66.

Oh, it's actually a Chew/Revival sale. You can get every issue of each series on sale, and there's also a bundle with the first couple volumes of each for 20 bucks, saving a buck or two.

edit: vvv Dunno, man. It's not really my bag, but I felt like I might as well list it :shobon:

fozzy fosbourne fucked around with this message at 05:12 on May 20, 2014

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Weird, so I bought Pride of Baghdad for Kindle, and it looks like the iPad app can zoom on panels now! It's done via double tapping, and then you can swipe from zoomed panel to zoomed panel. I'm not sure if this was always a feature and I just never had a comic that took advantage of it, or if it's new. Anyways, given how much cheaper Amazon Kindle books are than the comixology versions, I'm considering buying more crap there now. I'd like to read Ex Machina, and it's 9.99 for a volume there vs 12.99 on comixology.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Big Parker sale on comixology, all 4 volumes for 16.99.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

I hope all of you dudes and dudettes are reading Private Eye by Brian K Vaughn and Marcos Martin. It reminds me a bit of Transmetropolitan. It's a detective story set in a near future with some speculative-fiction-style high concept premises. If you like Saga or that series, you should check it out, it's great and I don't think it's getting as much publicity as it should be. It seems to have been overlooked in the Eisners this year, but maybe we'll see it pop up when it concludes.

I'm reading this via Comic Flow on my iPad Air and it looks super good, too.

Another digital comic that is worth checking out:
Freakangels by Warren Ellis and Paul Duffield. A near future, post-apocalyptic story featuring grown up and jaded psychic children. This is complete and free. An oldie but a goodie.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

How is elephant men?

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

There's also a massive bundle of Jason comics on comixology. I haven't read it myself but it's pretty well received here and critically in general.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

How was Brian K Vaughan's Batman? I've swooped all of the graphic novels, everything by Grant Morrison, and everything by Snyder. Anything else at least somewhat modern that I should be considering as well?

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Huh. For some reason my Marvel Unlimited library just disappeared today. This might really suck, since I had a ton of stuff on there Based on recommendations from this forum.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

So I'm trying to redeem a gift code for a year subscription to Marvel Unlimited and I currently have time left on my subscription. Trying to enter it in the site says they can't do that via the site and that I need to mail support. I mailed support 3 days ago and have heard nothing. Now I've been on hold on their support line for 30 minutes. Getting kinda grumpy, if I don't hear back from their support ever, do I need to go to Better Business Bureau or something?

Edit: The site's instructions:

"You are currently a Marvel Unlimited member. Please contact customer service by emailing onlinesupport@marvel.com to redeem your Marvel Unlimited gift."

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Endless Mike posted:

You realize the BBB is completely worthless, right?

Yeah, probably. I wonder what my options are of getting in touch with a god drat human and getting my $75? Maybe I can hire someone from craigslist who is local to walk in person and tell them their likely outsourced customer support is AWOL and literally not even replying to emails or phone calls..

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Oh holy gently caress, I almost just bought all of Doom Patrol this weekend on a binge. Yesssssssss

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

I wasn't aware of this series, but those covers are amazing.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Uthor posted:

Guess I could have dropped some names myself.
Saga
East of West
Manhattan Projects
Sex Criminals (though I've been losing interest)
Southern Bastards (my friend's copies and am a bit behind, anxious to catch up)
Deadly Class
Lazarus
Pretty Deadly
Rat Queens (I hope it's okay to still recommend this)

I've read one issue of Shutter and it didn't hook me and one issue of Wicked + Divine which did hook me.

I'm curious what people think of Black Science. I generally like Remender's writing.

Alex+Ada is pretty great, if you haven't tried that. The first issue is free so you could just power through that today and see if you want to scoop up the rest.

I wish Nowhere Men had some new issues on sale, goddammit Image :doom: edit: or Rocket Girl :doom: :doom:

fozzy fosbourne fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Nov 28, 2014

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Thanks for reminding me, I need to swoop on the Mind MGMT and BRPD back issues that have come out since the last mega sale!

I almost Vince'd at the Vertigo sale but then realized it's only the first volume of each series. Been waiting for a sale to clean up on Swamp Thing and Ex Machina. I already have two copies of Swamp Thing Vol 1, but I really prefer reading old comics on digital for some reason.

It's kind of weird that they have disowned Shade the Changing Man for the purposes of sales like these. Also, no Lucifer? Fake edit: oh, I see Shade does not have a volume 1 on Comixology for some reason. But it has a volume 2 and 3 :psyduck:

I wonder if different books had different deals worked out regarding potential future sales.

Finally, wtf is up with Supreme? With Ellis's new series, you would think that they would want to make the back issues available at least digitally, but nope! Only the Erik Larsen issues are available, so I'm going to jump to conclusions and assume Alan Moore and Liefield can't work something out. Which is ironic I suppose given the Miracleman history. Maybe these Superman deconstruction characters feature impossible to find back issues by design, to enhance their mystique!!! :tinfoil: Or, maybe Moore is playing out the plot of one of his own books; once the hero, now the villain, in some sort of Kaufman-esque master stroke.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Month of Marvel Unlimited for $0.75!

http://marvel.com/cyberweek

Go binge on The Runaways, Nextwave, Thor: God of Van Art, 1602, and more!

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

If you go to browse, there is an "Events" header that has collections of issues related to the events. Sometimes they are provided in a suggested reading order, other times they are just sortable by publication date.

I would highly recommend popping into the recommended reading thread or similar and asking about which books to read for an event, first. Generally, the main book and some small portion of the tie-ins are good. For example, if you read every book in the Event collection for Civil War, you might break your iPad in half by the end of it (and then be shot out into space by the Illuminati..).

Also, their might be some missing auxiliary books that are worth reading that the goons will point out. For example, the Drax mini-series really was worth reading before Annihilation, but it's not officially an Annihilation tie-in.

tl:dr; Marvel collects Events in the Events section of the Browse panel, but seek advice fist from goons before you start reading any event

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

I think the poster is viewing from a web browser. If you use a mac, you could use the OS provided zoom by ctrl-scroll-up. Might not look so hot though.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Scott Pilgrim is on sale on comixology. I feel like I should read this to see what the fuss is about, but man, that art is totally not my thing. Looks like a web comic

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Snagged that! Heard great things.

There is an Archaia graphic novel sale. The only book I've heard of is Jim Henson's Tale of Sand, because it won some awards, so I purchased that. Anything else on sale that anyone can recommend?

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Prophet sale!

Garth Ennis Caliban and Red Rover Charlie sale
I've heard good things about Caliban I think

Top Shelf bundle sale.
The giant bundle looks pretty sweet but I have half those books.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

I asked this in the Q&A thread but it occurs to me that it might be better here: is there a digital version of Injustice that has the improved coloring? I thought I read something about the colors being fixed up for the print trades or something and was wondering if that's true for any of the digital editions.

Would like to avoid Bat-sloth if possible

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Yeah, I picked up Orc Stain. They also have Bulletproof Coffin and Multiple Warheads on sale for more esoteric stuff. Cassanova is listed in their catalog but not actually on sale.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

I've heard that the recent Asmus quantum and woody is pretty good, too. I recall it being nominated for Harvey awards.