Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sleepingbuddha
Nov 4, 2010

It's supposed to look like a smashed cinnamon roll

Fishylungs posted:

For the record, I think the web interface is worse now than when I got Unlimited for a year in... 2008? And all of their mobile apps I believe are pure garbage.

It works great on the iPad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sleepingbuddha
Nov 4, 2010

I just got an email from Comixology saying they added a $5 gift card to my account. Anyone else get this?

sleepingbuddha
Nov 4, 2010

I really hope Amazon is able to get prices down, I don't think they care if brick and mortar stores go out of business, but that may get them in hot water with the publishers. It's ridiculous to see Kindle collections for half the price the collection goes for on Comixology. Of course, I'm not going to buy Kindle comics, so that may be part of the pricing difference, but that shouldn't matter any longer.

sleepingbuddha
Nov 4, 2010

Shitshow posted:

Image updated their Humble Bundle with the first trades of Manhattan Projects and Invincible: https://www.humblebundle.com/?imagecomics_bundle&utm_source=imagecomics&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=Humble%20Image%20Comics%20Bundle

Pretty meh, but if you missed out on this the first time there's still some great comics to be had for the average price of $9.62.

I was mad that I got this last week and missed out on some good books, but I checked my download link, and they added the new ones. Great deal!

sleepingbuddha
Nov 4, 2010

I'm trying to figure out how to get the comics from the Humble Bumble deals onto my iPad 2. I was wondering if there is any noticeable difference between an HD PDF and a .cbr file. The file size for the HD comics are a heck of a lot bigger. I'm sure there's a difference, but would I likely notice on an old iPad?

Also, they recommend Comic Flow, which I've been using for a while. Is that considered the best .cbr reader for the iPad?

sleepingbuddha
Nov 4, 2010

Uthor posted:

Double post!

Here is a page from Pretty Deadly #1, PDF, opened in SumatraPDF on my Win8 machine hooked up to a 1080p monitor, and zoomed in 400%.

(230 MB file size)

Same page, CBR file, opened in CDisplayEx, zoomed in 400%.

(59 MB file size, the JPG of the whole page is 1523x2343)

For comparison, Sex Criminals #1, PDF, same thing.

(69 MB file size)

And the CBR.

(27 MB file size, the JPG of the whole page is 1523x2343)

All the files are perfectly readable with no artifacts that I see. Seems interesting that the CBR files seem zoomed in slightly more at 400%, but that might just be how the programs calculate zooms.

Thanks for taking the time to do something I was too lazy to do. I'm guessing there's no need to download those huge HD PDF files to my iPad. Consider my initial question answered.

As for my second question, is Comic Flow the best iPad app for .cbr? I've been using it and have no complaints. Thanks in advance.

sleepingbuddha
Nov 4, 2010

I'd be up for an Unlimited thread.

sleepingbuddha
Nov 4, 2010

Start a new account?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sleepingbuddha
Nov 4, 2010

New things go on sale every week. Usually they're discounted down to 99 cents an issue, sometimes less though. If you're looking to read a lot without spending too much, I'd recommend Marvel Unlimited.